2012-2013 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

broadway007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

All are 250 w...except the last one.

Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it's significant. (250 w)

What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the single MOST important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

Have you received any honors while in college?

What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your MOST scholarly project (thesis, research, or field of study in basic or clinical sciences or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates, and advisors. (239 w)

Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (249 w)

Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include a geographic, language, economic, academic, physical or mental factors.)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (250 w)

What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this?

Provide any further information (not mandatory).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So...when can we actually add it on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Never thought I'd see the day when UC Riverside SoM is on the school specific threads.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

I was told by their admissions rep at a local premedical conference that the the school would be available to select in AMCAS by October 15th.

Count me in! I really didn't think I'd ever have to do another secondary, but hey... it's worth it.

Just checked AMCAS, still not up. I think they should have sat this cycle out and used this year to boost exposure instead. It's weird to me that they're adding the school right in the middle of the application cycle. Not to mention they probably lost potential applicants by doing so.

Just checked AMCAS, still not up. I think they should have sat this cycle out and used this year to boost exposure instead. It's weird to me that they're adding the school right in the middle of the application cycle. Not to mention they probably lost potential applicants by doing so.

It's only 50 seats...and a majority of them are going to UCR students...

It's only 50 seats...and a majority of them are going to UCR students...

True, but they could probably use the money that they get from apps. And UCR students don't actually get majority, pretty close to half though.

Application up! Just submitted app to "UC Riverside School of Med" :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else adding this school? It's now available in the drop-down list on AMCAS.

added to my already long list of schools. here's hoping to get some CA love

Anyone else adding this school? It's now available in the drop-down list on AMCAS.

Yeah I just added it about an hour ago too. GL to everyone applying, it's going to be a good program, and they've worked with UCLA over the years to implement it so the academics should be great. :luck:

does anyone know if they accept canadian citizens who arent US permanent residents either? I know its very limited space as is but no harm in trying if they do accept us.

Just got the email, you can add UCR SOM now to AMCAS.

Woo! Good luck everyone~

And for anyone else who applied to UCR/UCLA and sent the secondary in for that program, you don't need to get re-screened in for UCR. I called and confirmed. You need to add it on AMCAS, but UCR will use the Thomas Haider secondary when evaluating your file.

Has anyone received a secondary from UCR yet? If it was available on AMCAS yesterday then I'm assuming its a no, but you never know..

primary sent.

and the waiting begins...

Just sent mine in too.
I'm actually excited for The secondary. It will give me something to focus on other than refreshing my inbox over and over.

Application complete, adcom is meeting next week

When did u get ur secondary?

I got screened in for a secondary in September for the old program (UCR/UCLA). When UCR got accreditation and the UCR/UCLA program ended, I called the admissions office asking what I'm supposed to do with the secondary I got, and they told me to just submit it and they'll use it in the place of UCR's secondary because they want to get the ball rolling on this cycle ASAP.

I got screened in for a secondary in September for the old program (UCR/UCLA). When UCR got accreditation and the UCR/UCLA program ended, I called the admissions office asking what I'm supposed to do with the secondary I got, and they told me to just submit it and they'll use it in the place of UCR's secondary because they want to get the ball rolling on this cycle ASAP.

So is the UCR/UCLA program officially over? Does this mean those spots will now just go to UCLA, or are those spots just gone?

So is the UCR/UCLA program officially over? Does this mean those spots will now just go to UCLA, or are those spots just gone?

I believe they're just gone

I read somewhere that they're going to get rid of it over the next several years. It's not dead yet though.

That's what I wanted to think, but AMCAS sent me an email saying UCR/UCLA isn't accepting any new medical students and that they'll refund the $34. There are current 1st years that are still going to follow through to UCLA.

That's what I wanted to think, but AMCAS sent me an email saying UCR/UCLA isn't accepting any new medical students and that they'll refund the $34. There are current 1st years that are still going to follow through to UCLA.

Oh interesting. Thanks for posting this.

On their website it states that 3 individual letters of recommendation are required. Does anyone know if a pre-health committee letter overrides this requirement like most other schools? It does not state this on their website.

Just added to my list on AMCAS anyone else a littler nervous about attending a first year school?

Just added to my list on AMCAS anyone else a littler nervous about attending a first year school?

It's not really a first year school... the UCR/UCLA program has been around for a while. They still have two years to work on the 3rd/4th year curriculum, so I wouldn't be worried.

It's not really a first year school... the UCR/UCLA program has been around for a while. They still have two years to work on the 3rd/4th year curriculum, so I wouldn't be worried.
I guess my only real worry would be when it comes time to get a residency.

On their website it states that 3 individual letters of recommendation are required. Does anyone know if a pre-health committee letter overrides this requirement like most other schools? It does not state this on their website.

You should just call/email them to find out

Not really. Pretty much what sinombre said about the first two years. I mentioned this in another thread, but it's going to be part of the UC med school system which I'm sure we all know is pretty solid. Honestly a big part of why I have confidence in UCR SoM is because of that reason alone. If it were some random med school that popped out of nowhere, then I would be more worried. But the UC system takes good care of its family. They're not about to just screw it all up and let the first class flounder. I think if anything, the first class would get pretty good treatment haha

Honestly a big part of why I have confidence in UCR SoM is because of that reason alone. If it were some random med school that popped out of nowhere, then I would be more worried. But the UC system takes good care of its family. They're not about to just screw it all up and let the first class flounder. I think if anything, the first class would get pretty good treatment haha

Completely agree with this.

Secondaries have started rolling in...

Says me. I got one when i woke up this morning (currently living abroad so that would mean it was afternoon in Cali time)

Post the essay prompts please.

Says me. I got one when i woke up this morning (currently living abroad so that would mean it was afternoon in Cali time)

Congrats! Would you mind posting the prompts?

Any guesses as to what the gpa and MCAT cut offs will be? Or averages for the school?

Any guesses as to what the gpa and MCAT cut offs will be? Or averages for the school?

The avg stats for the 2011 UCR/UCLA graduating class were around a 3.8 GPA and 29 MCAT. Im not sure how much has changed over the past several years, but I've heard from numerous sources that they put the most emphasis on undergraduate record.

I would guess that the avg stats of the inaugural class to be the same or slightly lower than a 3.8/29, mostly because UCR isn't tied to UCLA anymore and because the UCLA adcom members can no longer vote on applicants. This is all just speculation though.

anyone else weirded out that the secondary invite is titled "UCR/UCLA haider program secondary"?

Just submitted and again, it said thanks for submitting for the haider program...

Status
Not open for further replies.