2012-2013 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have low.... Looowwww.. Stats. Both cum and sci gpa are below a 3.2. MCAT also between a 30-34. Sooo... Not sure what the cutoff for stats is..... Def can't be gpa based..

Members don't see this ad.

I have a c3.3 and a 26 mcat. I have very strong ec though and just completed my mph abroad.. Do I have a shot?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a ca resident so I'm hoping this with my ec give me a shot. I did my mph in Dublin. It was a great program and I really got to see the public health perspective from another insight

Anybody else having trouble logging in to the secondary?

For the ones who have received secondaries, when did you apply? And are you IS or OOS

Has anyone who doesn't/didn't go to UCR get a secondary yet?

Go to another UC, submitted the day it opened and got secondary the 27th.
Try using firefox, couldn't login on chrome either

Has anyone who doesn't/didn't go to UCR get a secondary yet?

I went to Cal, got my secondary on October 27th. Submitted the primary on the first day it opened.

They are having some trouble with the secondary. At first, I could log in, but i couldnt type anything. Then that got resolved, but it wouldnt accept my payment. Now i paid, but it wont let me submit. Just get in contact with the admissions office, they are actually nice people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do anybody else's transcripts say "missing" under document status?

Last edited:
It shows as missing on document status but its checkmarked on applicant home. Lor's however show as not received

firefox isn't working either :/. Are there any prompts, or is it just a fill-and-send?

I called in to see what's going on. The meeting that they had last week was for giving out secondaries, not interviews as I was previously told. Margie said that they still plan on sending out more secondaries, so for those of you who haven't gotten one yet, don't worry. She also said that it will be a while before they send out II's.

And now we wait...

Can someone post the secondary prompts? Thanks!

Edit: Oops. It's the same as UCLA's?

My application panic is compelling me to apply here. Do you guys think it's a good chance considering there is only 26 spots for non-UCR alumni?

My application panic is compelling me to apply here. Do you guys think it's a good chance considering there is only 26 spots for non-UCR alumni?
I spent the 34$ although I have lower stats than you and haven't received a secondary yet as OOS so looks like it could have just been a waste but who knows yet

It's going to be really competitive and most likely given preference to people with ties to the Inland Empire. Wouldn't hurt to try though, especially if you've done UCLA's secondary already, as they're supposed to be the same.

I'm wondering how secondary invites are being determined. Is it based on GPA/MCAT? Or is there a full screen on the primary application, and then an invite is given?

anyone else's application fees not showing up as paid? I paid mine and it shows up on my card statement, but it isnt posting on the app, so i cant submit it yet. I told the admissions office and they said that they forwarded my issue to the tech support people, but its been like almost a week now and i havent heard back :/

I'm wondering how secondary invites are being determined. Is it based on GPA/MCAT? Or is there a full screen on the primary application, and then an invite is given?

The adcom meets and reviews files in order to determine who gets a secondary, so I'm pretty sure that they read each primary application in its entirety.

The adcom meets and reviews files in order to determine who gets a secondary, so I'm pretty sure that they read each primary application in its entirety.

I am honored to have received a secondary then! :)

Is it me or does your photo doesn't pop up after you upload it? I uploaded it but the current photo says there's nothing. But when I go back to the main menu, it says it's completed...hmm

Is it me or does your photo doesn't pop up after you upload it? I uploaded it but the current photo says there's nothing. But when I go back to the main menu, it says it's completed...hmm
The entire secondary is kinda wonky....

Hi, can someone please post the secondary prompts? Thanks so much!

Hi, can someone please post the secondary prompts? Thanks so much!

Activities

Extracurricular Interests and Activities
Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

Please limit your response to 250 words for the following

1. Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it's significant.

2. What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated?

3. What has been the single MOST important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

Scholastic Activities
4. Have you received any honors while in college?

5. What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received? Why do you view this as important?

6. What has been your MOST scholarly project (thesis, research, or field of study in basic or clinical sciences or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates, and advisor(s).

Personal

If you were employed while attending college (regular academic year and/or summer), list the jobs you held; use the form below.

1. Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

2. Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)

3. Would you describe yourself as a "disadvantaged candidate"?

4. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

5. What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?

6. PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.

Good luck guys!!

Please limit your response to 250 words for the following

5. What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?

What the, on the paper secondary there was no word limit, and we didn't have that question. Why would they send out secondaries that aren't the same :lame:

For those of you who received secondaries. What day did you add UCR or when were you complete?

What the, on the paper secondary there was no word limit, and we didn't have that question. Why would they send out secondaries that aren't the same :lame:

On the online version, after every question, it said to limit responses to less than 250 words.

On the online version, after every question, it said to limit responses to less than 250 words.

After every question? Lol I definitely went over on some. That's a little unfair for you guys if some of us can go on for a page...

After every question? Lol I definitely went over on some. That's a little unfair for you guys if some of us can go on for a page...

Pretty much. Actually, the last one is the only one that doesn't have a limit. Nonetheless, there's good and bad with the limit. One of the good things is that I don't have to write a page for each question :) I think there's a limit so it'll help with the process, quicker reads which gives them more time to discuss.

Pretty much. Actually, the last one is the only one that doesn't have a limit. Nonetheless, there's good and bad with the limit. One of the good things is that I don't have to write a page for each question :) I think there's a limit so it'll help with the process, quicker reads which gives them more time to discuss.

Yup, that's definitely a pro. I would just get frustrated if I had a lot to say for a question and then had to cut it to 250 words. But a 250 word limit really isn't that short.

Maybe, assuming they actually read everything (and they probably won't, this is long secondary)

I would like to think that they'll read a good portion of it. I got an II last year for the old program, and I'm certain that I was given that interview based on my secondary and because someone actually read it. Granted, back then there were ~120 applications with even less secondaries, and this year there will probably be hundreds of secondaries to get through. So they probably will skim a bit more this year :rolleyes:

You also have to factor in how late they made the application available. Since there are only 50 seats available (some will go to UCR students), they'll have to work quicker in comparison to other schools who started in June.

You also have to factor in how late they made the application available. Since there are only 50 seats available (some will go to UCR students), they'll have to work quicker in comparison to other schools who started in June.

Yep... as fast as a cheechootrain.

Good luck everyone!

True, but they did kind of shift their entire timeframe because they got added later. The primary deadline is January and the first interview date is going to be in January too. And the admin at UCR is notorious for being really, really, really slow and disorganized. Hopefully it's better this year with the new med school and all, but I doubt it. Sucks.

True, but they did kind of shift their entire timeframe because they got added later. The primary deadline is January and the first interview date is going to be in January too. And the admin at UCR is notorious for being really, really, really slow and disorganized. Hopefully it's better this year with the new med school and all, but I doubt it. Sucks.

Huh. Didn't know that. Did you apply to this year too?

Status
Not open for further replies.