You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Holy !@#$, got one of the full-tuition scholarships!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Holy !@#$, got one of the full-tuition scholarships!!!!
I just got one too. I'm in a state of shock...
Holy !@#$, got one of the full-tuition scholarships!!!!
I just got one too. I'm in a state of shock...
Congratulations to the both of you.
Last edited:
Me, too. My brain is exploding.
Congratulations to the both of you.
Thanks!! Congrats to you too! This is a pretty unbelievable opportunity.
Me, too. My brain is exploding.
Congratulations to the both of you.
Thanks, elevenses. I saw in your other thread that you have a tough decision to make, but I hope we can be classmates at Penn!
Does anybody know if you need to have a car? Are all of the clerkships in Philadelphia?
Well, I found something on the website that says, "Five major teaching hospitals are within walking distance." I guess I'll take that as a no/yes. I really don't want to buy a second car.
Does anybody know if you need to have a car? Are all of the clerkships in Philadelphia?
Wondering this as well. On the page that lists the student budget, they do allot money for transportation.
Wondering this as well. On the page that lists the student budget, they do allot money for transportation.
I sure hope they don't expect me to buy a $150 car. 🙂
I sure hope they don't expect me to buy a $150 car. 🙂
As far as I know, a car is not needed except to travel to select sites during your clinical year (most of which can be avoided). Consensus I heard from students was that a car was nice to have but not mandatory.
As far as I know, a car is not needed except to travel to select sites during your clinical year (most of which can be avoided). Consensus I heard from students was that a car was nice to have but not mandatory.
Great, thanks for the info. Good to hear that that expense can be avoided.
Also, do any current students know if most people are on the student health insurance? $3200/year seems a little expensive.
Great, thanks for the info. Good to hear that that expense can be avoided.
Also, do any current students know if most people are on the student health insurance? $3200/year seems a little expensive.
The more affordable option may be to take advantage of Obamacare and accept coverage under your parents' plan. I'll only be able to do that for one year, though, so would be interested to hear an answer as well!
Oh jeez... I'm waiting to hear my financial package, still. I want a full-ride too! 😛 hahahaThanks!! Congrats to you too! This is a pretty unbelievable opportunity.
hashtag first world problems...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats, guys!
Anyone hear back about student hosts for Penn Preview yet?
Anyone hear back about student hosts for Penn Preview yet?
Congrats, guys!
Anyone hear back about student hosts for Penn Preview yet?
Haven't heard anything about hosts yet, but I think they said sometime this week!
Oh jeez... I'm waiting to hear my financial package, still. I want a full-ride too! 😛 hahaha
hashtag first world problems...
Yeah, me too! I hear Penn is very generous with financial aid, so not too worried though a part of me is a little disappointed I didn't get the full ride. Still, we all got into Penn which is f'ing amazing and I'm fairly certain I'll end up here next year. Can't wait for Penn Preview!
wait...are you certain that all of the full-merits are definitely given out?Yeah, me too! I hear Penn is very generous with financial aid, so not too worried though a part of me is a little disappointed I didn't get the full ride. Still, we all got into Penn which is f'ing amazing and I'm fairly certain I'll end up here next year. Can't wait for Penn Preview!
wait...are you certain that all of the full-merits are definitely given out?
Is there any reason you can think of that they would stagger their release? I can't. Not to say that there isn't one, though.
I got my stuff in late because my parents hadn't filed their taxes. OAFA hasn't looked at my application yet haha 😛Is there any reason you can think of that they would stagger their release? I can't. Not to say that there isn't one, though.
Did anyone post their stats yet?For those accepted: post stats please 🙂
I got my stuff in late because my parents hadn't filed their taxes. OAFA hasn't looked at my application yet haha 😛
I think the scholarships are given independent of financial need and are not administered by the office of financial aid.
The more affordable option may be to take advantage of Obamacare and accept coverage under your parents' plan. I'll only be able to do that for one year, though, so would be interested to hear an answer as well!
Wish that was an option for me 🙁
Wish that was an option for me 🙁
$3,200/year is not that expensive for medical insurance, IMO. My BCBS is ~$6,000/year. And the Penn student policy has a reasonable annual maximum of $2,000,000. I've seen student plans with annual maximums as low as $200,000, which is pennies if you find out you have cancer or suffer a bad accident, that cost the same amount of money. Also, I'd look up to see what the deductibles/copays/coinsurances are -- the money may go further than you think.
Last edited:
Just wanted to let you all know:
On the status page of Penn's site, it says financial aid awards will start to come out on April 19th (this Friday)!
On the status page of Penn's site, it says financial aid awards will start to come out on April 19th (this Friday)!
$3,200/year is not that expensive for medical insurance, IMO. My BCBS is ~$6,000/year. And the Penn student policy has a reasonable annual maximum of $2,000,000. I've seen student plans with annual maximums as low as $200,000, which is pennies if you find out you have cancer or suffer a bad accident, that cost the same amount of money. Also, I'd look up to see what the deductibles/company's/coinsurances are -- the money may go further than you think.
Thanks for the input!
Just wanted to let you all know:
On the status page of Penn's site, it says financial aid awards will start to come out on April 19th (this Friday)!
Scary! I am hoping the awards are decent for those of us that didn't get a full tuition scholarship.

Average stats for last year's class were 37 MCAT and 3.83 GPA. Everyone posting their individual stats is not going to be helpful to you.Did anyone post their stats yet?
http://www.med.upenn.edu/admiss/2006_class.html
If you can get covered by your parents healthcare, which you can be if under 26, then you can waive the Penn Health Care cost.... and you still get the money.....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scary! I am hoping the awards are decent for those of us that didn't get a full tuition scholarship.![]()
They should be very good, unless your parents make like $400,000 a year.
Did anyone post their stats yet?
I know somebody with an MCAT score 3 points below me, and a GPA .15 below me that got a full ride. I did not. It is NOT just about your GPA and MCAT.
I spoke to OAFA today and they said they haven't released all full-merits! ^_^Scary! I am hoping the awards are decent for those of us that didn't get a full tuition scholarship.![]()
I believe about 1/4 of the non-MD/PhD's in the class receives a full-ride, but there are many more merit scholarships available outside of the full rides. Beyond the merit scholarships there are also a lot of need-based scholarship money that is offered.
As for Student Health Insurance, you are required to have health insurance during your enrollment, whether it's through your parents (if you're under 26) or through Penn's insurance program.
As for Student Health Insurance, you are required to have health insurance during your enrollment, whether it's through your parents (if you're under 26) or through Penn's insurance program.
I believe about 1/4 of the non-MD/PhD's in the class receives a full-ride, but there are many more merit scholarships available outside of the full rides. Beyond the merit scholarships there are also a lot of need-based scholarship money that is offered.
As for Student Health Insurance, you are required to have health insurance during your enrollment, whether it's through your parents (if you're under 26) or through Penn's insurance program.
To be fair, it's closer to 1/5 of the entering class (or 1/10 of the accepted class) which receives the full merit scholarships, but still pretty incredible that they have so many to give out. I guess the Perelman donation made a huge difference in the available funds for financial aid. I've also heard this donation impacts the need-based offers, so fingers crossed for this Friday.

To be fair, it's closer to 1/5 of the entering class (or 1/10 of the accepted class) which receives the full merit scholarships, but still pretty incredible that they have so many to give out. I guess the Perelman donation made a huge difference in the available funds for financial aid. I've also heard this donation impacts the need-based offers, so fingers crossed for this Friday.![]()
There are about 20ish MD/PhD's who are fully funded anyway through the MSTP program. I thought there were ~35 full-rides, but I could be mistaken.
Last edited:
There are about 20ish MD/PhD's who are fully funded anyway through the MTSP program. I thought there were ~35 full-rides, but I could be mistaken.
You're correct, according to this.
There are about 20ish MD/PhD's who are fully funded anyway through the MSTP program. I thought there were ~35 full-rides, but I could be mistaken.
Ah, I retract my statement. I did not realize the 20 MD/PhDs were counted in the 163 person class size.
According to this article, Penn is working towards making tuition free for all its students. Might be a good sign for future financial aid packages when we're M2/3/4.
Last edited:
Ah, I retract my statement. I did not realize the 20 MD/PhDs were counted in the 163 person class size.
According to this article, Penn is working towards making tuition free for all its students. Might be a good sign for future financial aid packages when we're M2/3/4.
What's crazy is that if you include the MD/PhDs, a full third of the class don't pay a dime in tuition!
Would be nice if that slowly extended to the rest of the class, the Perelman money seems to have helped a lot.
Ah, I retract my statement. I did not realize the 20 MD/PhDs were counted in the 163 person class size.
According to this article, Penn is working towards making tuition free for all its students. Might be a good sign for future financial aid packages when we're M2/3/4.
Whoa, Penn is the shiit. 😍
On pins and needles waiting for financial aid on Friday guys. Hopefully its amazing and it will be clear Penn is the one.
Is anyone else bothered by the name of the Facebook group? We aren't the class of 2013... we're the class of 2017! I would say something to the admin, but I really don't want to be "that girl," haha.
haha, I was confused too when I started. Penn likes to use the "Entering Class of XX" terminology because of the fact that not everyone entering in 2013 will graduate in 2017, since many people take an extra year or so, not to mention the MD/PhD's who will be around for forever.
I feel like, at some point, someone from the entering class will become the admin for that group, rather than the MS1 or MS2 that is the admin now, at which point we can name it whatever we want!
It just doesn't make sense for an older student to remain the admin once we start.
It just doesn't make sense for an older student to remain the admin once we start.
Just wanted to let you all know:
On the status page of Penn's site, it says financial aid awards will start to come out on April 19th (this Friday)!
Financial aid decisions today!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still nothing on my page...![]()
nothing here either
False alarm perhaps? 😕
False alarm perhaps? 😕
I guess this isn't happening today. Kind of confused as to why not? Surely they have all the awards ready. Did anyone get theirs? Maybe there are batches....
I guess this isn't happening today. Kind of confused as to why not? Surely they have all the awards ready. Did anyone get theirs? Maybe there are batches....
Bets on Monday, anyone?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K