2012-2013 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They were probably updating everyone's status in batches. After they are done with that, they will probably then send status update via email to everyone. I'm guessing SDNers who checked their status before all the batches were finished got their statuses first and made everyone else think they got rejected.

SDN hysteria at its finest...we'll see!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, i'm working at Penn right now and i just received a "School of Medicine Announcement." nope, it wasn't about admissions decisions, it was about something totally unrelated. i felt my heart beat.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got waitlisted but was "one of the few applicants on the wait list invited to second look weekend." Does anybody know what this means? The letter also said there is no ranking on the wait list.
 
I got waitlisted but was "one of the few applicants on the wait list invited to second look weekend." Does anybody know what this means? The letter also said there is no ranking on the wait list.

From reading last years thread it looks like if you are on the waitlist and invited to second look, if you attend then you are very very likely to get accepted.
 
if theyre only accepting 12-25 off the waitlist, is it essentially impossible to get off the waitlist if we weren't invited to second look?
 
I think so? At the interview I heard this described as "tier 1" and "tier 2" waitlisting by current students but they don't seem to be calling it that.
 
Omg you and me both!!! Congrats 😀

same here, waitlisted from my top school on monday and rejected from yale on tuesday. I was in a pit of despair yesterday and basically waiting for the "while you are very qualified, we are unable to accept you" letter from penn. Opened the application portal and I was accepted.

**to all future SDNers** Don't lose hope, its a grueling process
 
same here, waitlisted from my top school on monday and rejected from yale on tuesday. I was in a pit of despair yesterday and basically waiting for the "while you are very qualified, we are unable to accept you" letter from penn. Opened the application portal and I was accepted.

**to all future SDNers** Don't lose hope, its a grueling process

Truth. Grueling and ridiculously capricious, whether you have high or low stats.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What what? Accepted! Surprised! Excited! I have some %^&$%# hard decisions to make.

Congrats to the other accepted students and condolences to those who were wait listed.
 
Last edited:
waitlisted. huge congrats to everyone who made it in!!!

was there a consensus on whether any post-interview rejections were sent out, or if it's just accepted/waitlist?
 
Exciting to see so many of you getting accepted. I got accepted last year, and am a 1st year. If you got accepted, come to PENN. It ROCKS.
 
Last year it looks like nobody got rejected post-interview, so the waitlist is quite vast if they're on par with their 872 interviews in 2011-2012. Sounds like Columbia's waitlist 😱

Waitlisted. Not going to b🙂et on it then. Thanks wangers!
 
I got waitlisted but was "one of the few applicants on the wait list invited to second look weekend." Does anybody know what this means? The letter also said there is no ranking on the wait list.

I would take that as a "top tier" waitlist nod. Congrats.
 
Congratulations to everyone who were just accepted! I hope to see you all during Penn Preview April 25-27th

For those who are waitlisted, don't lose all hope yet, there are definitely some people coming off the waitlist sometime after May.
 
Last edited:
So was I the only one that was flat out rejected post interview? I'm not too bumped as I'll still be matriculating at a great school but still 🙁
 
Congratulations to everyone who were just accepted! I hope to see you all during Penn Preview April 22-24th

For those who are waitlisted, don't lose all hope yet, there are definitely some people coming off the waitlist sometime after May.

You mean April 25th - 27th 😛

Looking forward to checking out Penn!
 
Congratulations to everyone who were just accepted! I hope to see you all during Penn Preview April 22-24th

For those who are waitlisted, don't lose all hope yet, there are definitely some people coming off the waitlist sometime after May.

Any current students know if significant others are welcome at Penn Preview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For my fellow waitlistees, from penn's waitlist FAQ-- I thought these parts were especially helpful:

"The list ranges from a larger number (400) in March to a reduced size (100) later in the year (May). Reductions occur by self-selection or Committee action."

"Acceptances from the waitlist may be made at any time. Generally, waitlist acceptances are not made until May. Acceptances may continue, on a limited basis, throughout the summer until the first day of class, August 12, 2013."

and

"The number [accepted from waitlist] varies from year to year, depending on the number of people who withdraw from the initial acceptance group. We are not able to predict a specific number at this time. Best guess: 12 to 25."


Congrats again to everyone accepted, and to all of us for making it this far! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.