2023-2024 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Pennsylvania (Perelman) Secondary Essay Prompts

1. If you were offered an option to continue courses with a standard grading system or switch to Pass/Fail, and you elected Pass/Fail, please describe the reason(s) for your decision here (500 characters).

2. The Perelman School of Medicine (PSOM) is deeply committed to recruiting a class inclusive of diverse perspectives and experiences; this enriches the instruction we provide, enhances team-based learning, and ensures our students’ preparation to address the health needs of a pluralistic society. How would your life experiences contribute to the student body and how would you contribute to an inclusive atmosphere at PSOM? Please explain and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

3. We are all navigating through challenging times, and physicians and physician-scientists must contend with many instances of uncertainty. Describe a time when you faced a situation that was ambiguous, confusing, or uncertain, and how you navigated making a decision without complete information (3000 characters).

4. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Prewriting rn and wondering if studying abroad is a global activity for "Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application?" (1,000 characters max)

Is presenting at an industry-level conference internationally considered a global activity?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prewriting rn and wondering if studying abroad is a global activity for "Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application?" (1,000 characters max)
Where did you get this prompt? Are the 24 ones out?

global activities outside of the U.S. - this would not refer to paper presentations.

They are looking for activities, preferably health relevant but not specifically, where one has spent time volunteering or part of an organized corp like peace corps, americorps, or one of the many something without borders and spent any amount of time abroad. Many schools have programs in Uganda, Haiti and other locations where students have spent a month or more during summers.

global activities outside of the U.S. - this would not refer to paper presentations.

They are looking for activities, preferably health relevant but not specifically, where one has spent time volunteering or part of an organized corp like peace corps, americorps, or one of the many something without borders and spent any amount of time abroad. Many schools have programs in Uganda, Haiti and other locations where students have spent a month or more during summers.
could you clarify if this includes studying abroad in Europe for 4 months through a medical program? (it did not include volunteering)

could you clarify if this includes studying abroad in Europe for 4 months through a medical program? (it did not include volunteering)
I would guess it would count since you spent extended periods of time and they are not specifying a volunteer activity. The question as phrased is looking for people who spent time abroad doing something.

What if the poster presentation was in regards to a medical innovation that's being used outside the US

What if the poster presentation was in regards to a medical innovation that's being used outside the US
Personally I think that your activity is a little bit of a stretch to be considered a global activity. I'm interpreting the prompt to be referring to things done outside of US, not things done in the US that had a global impact. I'd say the actual impact this innovation had and how used it is globally would factor in too though.

Unless you spent time working with it in the country you are claiming the global activity in, how do you call it an activity?

In theory, they are giving you space to expand on one of your 10 activities listed in your primary. Presenting a paper is a culmination of an activity and more like an honor. Its not a must that everyone has an opportunity to do something and in fact I am surprised no one in Penn has determined this is a privilege not available to many poorer people.

Reactions: 1 users
Its not a must that everyone has an opportunity to do something and in fact I am surprised no one in Penn has determined this is a privilege not available to many poorer people.
This is a poor take. Many conferences offer financial aid for attendance/ meeting registration. Most labs with enough funding offers to cover travel/ hotel fees as well. I encourage you to think more before posting any more silly suggestions like this. In all fairness to you, I do concur with your first statement.

This is a poor take. Many conferences offer financial aid for attendance/ meeting registration. Most labs with enough funding offers to cover travel/ hotel fees as well. I encourage you to think more before posting any more silly suggestions like this. In all fairness to you, I do concur with your first statement.
While what you said is true regarding events being funded normally, the lack of accessibility I feel doesn’t stem from lack of available opportunity, it is a result of the disadvantaged people @texasvandy is referring to not having the time to put towards these sort of conferences. The priority for the less fortunate is to stay afloat and make enough to fund their education and living expenses, and it is hard enough getting the baseline activities like clinical hours on top of working a job. The work you have to put in to get to the global events Penn wants or the time required to participate is simply too much to ask for.

That said, a rare few will find ways to still reach that level of achievement, but they are the exceptions.

Reactions: 1 user
Just my opinion here. I do also think that participating in global activities outside the U.S. is a privilege. Not all undergraduate institutions have the funding capacity to support even a simple conference. From my own experience/ at my institution, global activities are paid for by the participants. While it may be possible to apply for this financial aid, attending a top school or having financial means makes it way more possible/ accessible.

Members don't see this ad :)
While what you said is true regarding events being funded normally, the lack of accessibility I feel doesn’t stem from lack of available opportunity, it is a result of the disadvantaged people @texasvandy is referring to not having the time to put towards these sort of conferences. The priority for the less fortunate is to stay afloat and make enough to fund their education and living expenses, and it is hard enough getting the baseline activities like clinical hours on top of working a job. The work you have to put in to get to the global events Penn wants or the time required to participate is simply too much to ask for.

That said, a rare few will find ways to still reach that level of achievement, but they are the exceptions.
Exactly this is what I was thinking as well

I dont think of conferences as being relevant to this question. It is an assumption people want to make that they can make the prompt work for them.

As others above have correctly inferred, I am referring to people not being able to afford global activities.

Last edited:
Unless you spent time working with it in the country you are claiming the global activity in, how do you call it an activity?

In theory, they are giving you space to expand on one of your 10 activities listed in your primary. Presenting a paper is a culmination of an activity and more like an honor. Its not a must that everyone has an opportunity to do something and in fact I am surprised no one in Penn has determined this is a privilege not available to many poorer people.
FWIW I don’t have a lick of global experience (answered “no” to that question) and was accepted here this past cycle. So it doesn’t seem to be a dealbreaker

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary Received 10:04 EST

It is not letting me fill out any information on the secondary

If you were offered an option to continue courses with a standard grading system or switch to Pass/Fail, and you elected Pass/Fail, please describe the reason(s) for your decision here (500 characters).

The Perelman School of Medicine (PSOM) is deeply committed to recruiting a class inclusive of diverse perspectives and experiences; this enriches the instruction we provide, enhances team-based learning, and ensures our students’ preparation to address the health needs of a pluralistic society. How would your life experiences contribute to the student body and how would you contribute to an inclusive atmosphere at PSOM? Please explain and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

We are all navigating through challenging times, and physicians and physician-scientists must contend with many instances of uncertainty. Describe a time when you faced a situation that was ambiguous, confusing, or uncertain, and how you navigated making a decision without complete information (3000 characters).

Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters:

@wysdoc

gotta love them sending out the secondary at 10pm on a friday night, only for the website to not work, and there likely won't be a resolution until monday

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
For "Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization?" they're talking about awards during college right (surely not high school)?

For "Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization?" they're talking about awards during college right (surely not high school)?
I have the same Q since all my major awards are from high school.

The portal still isn't fixed right?

If you were offered an option to continue courses with a standard grading system or switch to Pass/Fail, and you elected Pass/Fail, please describe the reason(s) for your decision here (500 characters).

The Perelman School of Medicine (PSOM) is deeply committed to recruiting a class inclusive of diverse perspectives and experiences; this enriches the instruction we provide, enhances team-based learning, and ensures our students’ preparation to address the health needs of a pluralistic society. How would your life experiences contribute to the student body and how would you contribute to an inclusive atmosphere at PSOM? Please explain and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

We are all navigating through challenging times, and physicians and physician-scientists must contend with many instances of uncertainty. Describe a time when you faced a situation that was ambiguous, confusing, or uncertain, and how you navigated making a decision without complete information (3000 characters).

Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters:

@wysdoc
Does it still include the other question asking about global activities?

Does it still include the other question asking about global activities?
Yep, it's a yes/no question. I am unsure if it gives you a text box if you click yes, as the portal is still broken.

Trying to get it written and ready to upload bc we have the prompts.

Though I'm very frustrated that their diversity prompt is a mere 1000 chars. That's nothing compared to the other ones I've been working with. Gonna have to choose a different topic and rewrite that one completely.

I feel you on that. I had to write a new one too, and didn't even come close to saying everything I wanted to say about my identity. The prompt itself is 430 characters...
Yep. I usually don't mind these diversity prompts Even though I feel like a lot of them are kind of performative. But this one is a complete joke. How can you expect people to write about such a complicated aspect of themselves in what's basically one and a half times the space we get for a work and activity section description? Insane to me.

Is anyone else kind of lost for the uncertainty question? I feel like none of my other secondaries include anything like this and I'm struggling to brainstorm.

Is anyone else kind of lost for the uncertainty question? I feel like none of my other secondaries include anything like this and I'm struggling to brainstorm.
Describe a time when you faced a situation that was ambiguous, confusing, or uncertain, and how you navigated making a decision without complete information (3000 characters).
It's a challenge question focused on problem solving where you felt uncomfortable or had to guess/go on a hunch. Do not answer "this essay made me uncertain...".

It's a challenge question focused on problem solving where you felt uncomfortable or had to guess/go on a hunch. Do not answer "this essay made me uncertain...".
Based on that, would it be appropriate to talk about a class I struggled in and a difficult project where I was sort of lost and had to exhaust a lot of avenues to figure it out? I generally try to avoid talking about academic things in secondaries because I feel like it's kind of generic.

Based on that, would it be appropriate to talk about a class I struggled in and a difficult project where I was sort of lost and had to exhaust a lot of avenues to figure it out? I generally try to avoid talking about academic things in secondaries because I feel like it's kind of generic.
Would you mind giving more details? How did you make a decision?

Yes, something less related to class would be preferred in general. Remember that you need to cater to a broad audience.

Would you mind giving more details? How did you make a decision?

Yes, something less related to class would be preferred in general. Remember that you need to cater to a broad audience.
There wasn't a ton of decision making involved, so I'll probably go with something else. Maybe talking about a student I mentor and not knowing a ton about her background and history because she's a refugee, but having to figure out what we do in our time together that will be the best for her!

There wasn't a ton of decision making involved, so I'll probably go with something else. Maybe talking about a student I mentor and not knowing a ton about her background and history because she's a refugee, but having to figure out what we do in our time together that will be the best for her!
If you want a variety of opinions, let's split your question about this essay to a separate thread. I don't want to take over the discussion from the school.

Would a merit-based salary increase count as an award if it was given by PSOM ( are they a state institution and is this an award or am I pushing it)? I work at the med school at the moment.

Would a merit-based salary increase count as an award if it was given by PSOM ( are they a state institution and is this an award or am I pushing it)? I work at the med school at the moment.
Definitely not a state institution, isn't UPenn a private school?

Penn is a private school. There is no true way to measure pay raises and so it would not be considered an award.

If it came with a certificate saying something exemplary about your contributions like contributed most to a project curing cancer (in jest but anything would do in terms of recognizing YOU in the team for something) that is an award.

Twins! I just got a merit-based salary increase from PSOM today too haha! Are you a CRC?

Is anyone else having trouble selecting and saving their letters of recommendation?

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else having trouble selecting and saving their letters of recommendation?
I tried checking the box and saving after which I get error messages. Not sure what or how it happened, but despite the error message the section is marked as complete for me even though the box next to my letter is unchecked.

I tried checking the box and saving after which I get error messages. Not sure what or how it happened, but despite the error message the section is marked as complete for me even though the box next to my letter is unchecked.
Same. Should we just wait to contact the admissions office tomorrow morning before submitting?

Yep same here just not sure if they will actually receive the letters if I submit it like this.

One of the secondary questions asks if we have taken an online course. If we say "yes," then we are asked "how many?" and to "list all science courses that you have taken online."

If I have taken 1 online course but it is not a science course, should I just leave the "list all science courses" part blank but still say "yes" and put "1 course"?