2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYU is pretty slow with the II's, eh? None reported on SDN since that little surge in August

I got one this past week, complete mid aug.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is pretty slow with the II's, eh? None reported on SDN since that little surge in August

Seems like a lot of schools are like this this cycle. After a big II surge in August, many schools have been quiet ...

Seems like a lot of schools are like this this cycle. After a big II surge in August, many schools have been quiet ...

One website = not that representative of all applicants ..

Members don't see this ad :)
One website = not that representative of all applicants ..

I do know that, but it works as a good sample. Just saying that compared to last year's school threads, everything seems delayed overall. Perhaps schools know about the delayed verification and are waiting for a larger pool? But also entirely possible that the whole sample of SDNers are not getting any IIs, while non SDNers are getting the IIs.

II about an hour ago! =) Complete Aug. 20th

Interview Date: Oct. 1

Didn't know they were switching to the MMI format this year. This should be interesting....

II :D!

Is NYU one of those schools where the sooner you interview the better?

II :D!

Is NYU one of those schools where the sooner you interview the better?
Yes, based on my review of last year's NYU thread on SDN. BTW, mind providing your stats? Congrats!

Interview invite today. 32, 3.66 from state school. Kind of a non-trad with unique story and extracurriculars and some good research. To my fellow non 35+ applicants, don't give up hope! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today. 32, 3.66 from state school. Kind of a non-trad with unique story and extracurriculars and some good research. To my fellow non 35+ applicants, don't give up hope! :thumbup:

When were you complete?

For those of you who were invited to interview, are they still on October dates?

I'm going to be in NYC early November and I was wondering when the right time would be to send an in the area email. Or does NYU hate those? Is right now too soon?

For those of you who were invited to interview, are they still on October dates?

I'm going to be in NYC early November and I was wondering when the right time would be to send an in the area email. Or does NYU hate those? Is right now too soon?

Yes, they are still on October dates. Not sure about the other questions.

For the secondary:
Is it okay to use upper division labs to fulfill the gen bio requirement? I took gen bio lab 1+2 but the grades were low.
If so, one of the upper division labs is biochemistry lab (BIO department) can that count as biology lab?

For the secondary:
Is it okay to use upper division labs to fulfill the gen bio requirement? I took gen bio lab 1+2 but the grades were low.
If so, one of the upper division labs is biochemistry lab (BIO department) can that count as biology lab?

They would have access to those low bio grades anyway, no? So why not just use them to fulfill the secondary requirements?

They would have access to those low bio grades anyway, no? So why not just use them to fulfill the secondary requirements?

I imagine after entering all the prereqs they can calculate an average grade (of course I base this on absolutely nothing)
In case they do, I want it to be high :D

Hopefully that can mean an II for me soon as I'm in the area end of October. :xf:

How about one for YankeeBean? I'm a Yankee fan, and I'm from New York. can I just send an in the area email the next time I am in Murray Hill?

Did either of you guys actually get a complete email like it says on the secondary site? I'm marked as complete but I never got an email (marked on 8/22).

My status page says I was marked complete on 8/23, but I don't think I ever got an official "complete" email.

My status page says I was marked complete on 8/23, but I don't think I ever got an official "complete" email.

Ah ok thanks. Already on late october though? Argh I'm really struggling with whether to send an in the area email this early but flights to NYC are so expensive D:

i got an official complete email on the same day i submitted:

This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken.

Thank you,

Admissions Office

NYU School of Medicine

Has anyone had "status unavailable" a couple of days after you submitted your secondary and paid the fee?

II this morning via email! Complete 8/25.

Congratulations!!! I've been waiting to hear back and I too submitted in August. Mind sharing your stats? I'd really like to know whether I should hold my breath for NYU or not

Congratulations!!! I've been waiting to hear back and I too submitted in August. Mind sharing your stats? I'd really like to know whether I should hold my breath for NYU or not

Thanks! 3.8ish, 37ish. Pretty good ECs and a fair amount of research (but not crazy like some sdn kiddos :D). I say keep hoping!

Anyone attended the interview care to share any general impression of the new MMI format at NYU? hmm? :naughty:

Anyone attended the interview care to share any general impression of the new MMI format at NYU? hmm? :naughty:

Yes: it is great. You have everything to look forward to.

Time to crank out an update letter here, it seems .. all's silent on the NYU front.

NYU's def a dream school for me, would appreciate some input

my app was complete as of 7/29 according to the website but I never received a complete email--is this a problem?

when is a letter of interest/update appropriate? (I would think mid octoberish b/c interviews run till December, what do you guys think?)

Can anyone who's interviewed answer these questions?
For the MMI, did you guys have an opportunity to talk about yourself/personal experiences when answering any of the questions or was it all from a hypothetical "if I were a doctor" standpoint?
Were you allowed something to jot down answers on during your 2 min deliberation?
Thanks!

NYU's def a dream school for me, would appreciate some input

my app was complete as of 7/29 according to the website but I never received a complete email--is this a problem?

when is a letter of interest/update appropriate? (I would think mid octoberish b/c interviews run till December, what do you guys think?)

i talked to my advisor at school about that same thing and she said end of oct would be a good time!

Can anyone who's interviewed answer these questions?
For the MMI, did you guys have an opportunity to talk about yourself/personal experiences when answering any of the questions or was it all from a hypothetical "if I were a doctor" standpoint?
Were you allowed something to jot down answers on during your 2 min deliberation?
Thanks!

There was one station where they asked me a specific question about something on my application and it threw me off a bit because I had prepared to answer a different question. I imagine most people won't be asked the question I was.

You can jot down notes as well.