2013-2014 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations! It is awesome to see people with similar stats getting interviews at school's on the west. Good luck on your interview!

Yeah, thanks! It seems like the schools known for their holistic review and specific missions resonating with my app essays have been the ones I've had luck with. Best of luck to you and your cycle too!

Yeah Jenny!!!!! Congrats :)

Lol, thanks! It's actually thanks to you and the info you posted in response to me a while ago + what others were saying about the PC focus that finally got me thinking about trying to apply. It wasn't even on my radar until then :D

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite for October 28th. Got the ii on the 15th. IS cGPA 3.63 sGPA 3.75 Balanced 32.
Does anyone know how much importance CU places on the interview vs. GPA/MCAT? Like if I have a stellar interview will that overshadow average stats? Also does anyone know what the IS acceptance rate is off the interview? I've looked at past posts but I cant seem to find a consensus. Also, are they particularly friendly to Colorado Alum? Thanks.

Does CU send out emails when they invite you to interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone who has attended school here or interviewed comment on how easy it is to get around via public transportation and if there are any safety concerns with the area? My parents suddenly freaked out and told me not to go because it's supposedly dangerous (but I don't know what they are basing this off of...unless this conclusion is based on the high profile shootings..?)

I am of course assuming that that's what it's based off of if there are no real issues :laugh:

Can someone who has attended school here or interviewed comment on how easy it is to get around via public transportation and if there are any safety concerns with the area? My parents suddenly freaked out and told me not to go because it's supposedly dangerous (but I don't know what they are basing this off of...unless this conclusion is based on the high profile shootings..?)

I am of course assuming that that's what it's based off of if there are no real issues :laugh:

Public transport from the airport??

If so, it's not exceedingly easy as somewhere like NYC or Chicago that has a train direct from the airport, but not terrible. Couple bus transfers and you can do it; albeit it is frustrating that our bus system isn't always reliable on time tables (I'm at UG in the Denver area).

Aurora, the city that the campus is in, is not super great or pretty, but I've never felt unsafe being around the Anschutz campus or in the immediate area. Yes there are some unsafe areas in the area, but like any large city if you're responsible and a smart traveller I wouldn't be overly concerned. I would hate for you to turn down visiting the GORGEOUS campus!

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring and informative :D. My parents don't know anything abt the app process, but having to fight with them about going to the interview is getting tedious/ridiculous, esp. Since this school is so -drool-

I mostly only have experience navigating college town type campuses, so I've come to expect all schools to have bus lines that run within the campus/throughout parts of the city as well. Does the campus/area have a system like this too? It would help me with my tourism :laugh:. Or is that what you were referring to about it being fairly unreliable?

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring and informative :D. My parents don't know anything abt the app process, but having to fight with them about going to the interview is getting tedious/ridiculous, esp. Since this school is so -drool-

I mostly only have experience navigating college town type campuses, so I've come to expect all schools to have bus lines that run within the campus/throughout parts of the city as well. Does the campus/area have a system like this too? It would help me with my tourism :laugh:. Or is that what you were referring to about it being fairly unreliable?

Buses do pickup/dropoff around the medical campus. Like goforbroke said, it's not the most efficient system, but you can certainly get around the city with the right transfers. This is the route map that should help with identifying buses to take, depending on where you wish to explore while you're there. http://www3.rtd-denver.com/elbert/SystemMap/#
My recommendation is to make a trip to downtown. I love the eclectic jazz clubs and bars down there, and it was great to unwind after my interview!

The campus is beautiful, and I, too, have never felt unsafe walking around

Honestly Denver is the safest big city in the country and it's really not even close. If your parents think aurora is dangerous because of one crazy guy shooting then that's just dumb. I'm from here and it's funny to hear about people from other cities being afraid to travel here.

(Phone wont let me quote right now)

I was getting the same impression after asking a few friends who are from colorado too. Thanks for all the info everyone! For those interviewing on the 28th, i look forward to Meeting you all :)

So did anyone get accepted yet? They were supposed to start accepting this past week right?

So did anyone get accepted yet? They were supposed to start accepting this past week right?

I recall them saying they would start sending acceptances after October 15, so it could be anytime. I recall something about monthly updates for all of the interviewed students, so I imagine there will be emails effectively saying "not yet".

(Phone wont let me quote right now)

I was getting the same impression after asking a few friends who are from colorado too. Thanks for all the info everyone! For those interviewing on the 28th, i look forward to Meeting you all :)

i would just take an UBER from the airport to the hotel, that's what im going to do Nov 22nd ... it's fast and easy! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in-state, complete about 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything- any ISer's in the same boat/waited longer? Anyone have experience waiting to hear back from CU?

Last edited:
i would just take an UBER from the airport to the hotel, that's what im going to do Nov 22nd ... it's fast and easy! :)

Will look into that! :D

My student host suggested I take the bus and meet at a nearby stop, so I'll compare the two before I decide, thanks for the suggestion!

For those who just recently interviewed, how was it?! I spoke with a former AdCom person, and it seems like the only thing worth "preparing" for is knowing about the ACA and being ready for some ethical type questions. Do any of you have any other pointers or tips to share? :love:

Edit: I looked into UBER and my wallet and I almost died. I think I'll stick to public transportation, LOL

Last edited:
Do any of you have any other pointers or tips to share?

Make sure you know your application (essays and extracurriculars) inside and out because that is what the inteviewers will have just read.

Make sure you know your application (essays and extracurriculars) inside and out because that is what the inteviewers will have just read.

Got it, ty :D. Since nobody has commented on how chill or tough it was, I will prepare for the worst :laugh:

Got it, ty :D. Since nobody has commented on how chill or tough it was, I will prepare for the worst :laugh:
It's a really laid-back interview. You're interviewing about yourself, and nobody knows you better than you. Just be yourself and know why you want to be an MD. As long as you convey your passion and personality, you should be fine

Be able to discuss some ethical issues in medicine. Also, be prepared to be challenged on some of your answers or on your application. Otherwise, expect an enjoyable day. It's a great school and the student body reps do a great job with the tour and info session.

So, has anybody who's interviewed heard anything at all since? This thread seems awfully quiet lately.

Last edited:
I interviewed on the 19th and they said that they hadn't sent any acceptances yet, and that they would probably start deciding/sending them after 2 weeks from that date. So, probably after Nov 1st

Be able to discuss some ethical issues in medicine. Also, be prepared to be challenged on some of your answers or on your application. Otherwise, expect an enjoyable day. It's a great school and the student body reps do a great job with the tour and info session.

So, has anybody who's interviewed heard anything at all since? This thread seems awfully quiet lately.

I actually got no qs on ACA or ethics, but my interviewer really grilled me about my background and the fact that I claimed disadvantaged on my application. It was probably something I wasn't emotionally prepared for, but the overall day and impression of the school is the same as yours. Phenomenonal sense of support, group of students and involved faculty. Beautiful all around :)

Also, i thought was a cool thing they did make a point to bring up in their discussion of URMs at their school, which did specify southeast asian and pacific islander as urm asians in their state . :D

Last edited:
I'm in-state, complete about 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything- any ISer's in the same boat/waited longer? Anyone have experience waiting to hear back from CU?
I'm also in-state and completed everything 8/25 and still haven't heard anything.

I got an ii here on the status page, but no e-mail... for you guys with the update before the e-mail, how long did the e-mail take?

For me, the email came before the status update. Although to be fair, they only gave me an II with like 6 day's notice as an OOSer. My status on the page of "you have been invited for an interview" showed up the day before my actual interview date (10/28), so a 5 day delay?

Maybe you should email the admissions folk, because the email you should've received assigns you an interview day and you have to fill out a mini form where you accept the date offer, want to request a new day, or withdraw your application :3

I got an ii here on the status page, but no e-mail... for you guys with the update before the e-mail, how long did the e-mail take?

What day did your status change? I got an II on the status page on Oct 23rd, but still have not gotten an email from the school. I am hoping it will come soon

Congrats to both you guys- IS or OOS? When did you submit?

What day did your status change? I got an II on the status page on Oct 23rd, but still have not gotten an email from the school. I am hoping it will come soon

I just rechecked my portal and I got the status updated on 10/23 too, but I interviewed yesterday

Well, I'm officially panicked.

You should contact the admissions people and ask about the status since you haven't gotten an email. I'd imagine this counting as a reschedule if anything, because if you really never got any email, it's not your fault. The best case scenario could be that they reassure you and say they haven't sent an email yet. I was one of the latest invites in my cohort yesterday (several said they were contacted three weeks in advance)

How long was the interview process? I just started work and now I have to miss a day :( I feel like I can't win in this situation.

How long was the interview process? I just started work and now I have to miss a day :( I feel like I can't win in this situation.

It's worth it to miss a day of work! The interview day started at 8 am and ended just before 3 pm.

Was this the status you had before you received your II?

"We have received your secondary application payment and have begun processing your completed application. The final status for most applicants will not be decided until March 31."

Was this the status you had before you received your II?

"We have received your secondary application payment and have begun processing your completed application. The final status for most applicants will not be decided until March 31."

For me, yeah.

Also received an II via status update. No email. OOS, LizzyM ~73, nontrad. Will likely be withdrawing however.

Thank you! Finally I don't feel alone!
But just to clarify, it does update/also say "you have been invited" when you are :p. I don't know what (or if there even is one) the message says if they choose to reject/hold though

Withdrawing before the interview? Porque?
Yeah, an acceptance to a great California school (near a beach), as an applicant from California whose handle includes "Surf," is pretty hard to beat when you're looking purely at CO's insane OOS tuition :p.

Yeah, an acceptance to a great California school (near a beach), as an applicant from California whose handle includes "Surf," is pretty hard to beat when you're looking purely at CO's insane OOS tuition :p.
Fair enough. Definitely glad that I'm not a CA resident during this process.

Yup, you guessed it. :) Got into UCSD and wouldn't attend CO over it. Save on time and travel costs and save the school the trouble of interviewing me. Officially sent the withdrawal email, so I hope the interview spot goes to one of you still waiting to hear!

Yup, you guessed it. :) Got into UCSD and wouldn't attend CO over it. Save on time and travel costs and save the school the trouble of interviewing me. Officially sent the withdrawal email, so I hope the interview spot goes to one of you still waiting to hear!

Bahahah, I've seen you posting on the SD forum, and mdapps helps make stalking a little bit easier. Congrats though!

Bahahah, I've seen you posting on the SD forum, and mdapps helps make stalking a little bit easier. Congrats though!

Ha ha thanks! Good luck with CO! Seems like a great school, hope you get in!

I interviewed on the 19th and they said that they hadn't sent any acceptances yet, and that they would probably start deciding/sending them after 2 weeks from that date. So, probably after Nov 1st
So they might start sending out acceptances today?!?!

I wish I knew this was the case before I was born and raised here too, loool :D

I was born there, too, but I've been in CO since I was seven. Probably a fortunate move, but CU isn't a cake walk either. Best of luck to you, you've got quite the profile on mdapps!

Wow, congrats on UCSD! Looks like a great school!