2013-2014 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me too! Sad to see 5pm come and go each day without news, but the thread from last year makes me think that there is some potential until mid July. Tomorrow it has been two weeks since the last acceptance, so maybe some incredible news is on its way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Me too! Sad to see 5pm come and go each day without news, but the thread from last year makes me think that there is some potential until mid July. Tomorrow it has been two weeks since the last acceptance, so maybe some incredible news is on its way.
Someone I knew recently withdrew from here. Hope for good news to y'all!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing! Maybe tomorrow we will have a whole new reason to celebrate the 4th.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have to send in out deposits around the 10th. They should have a better idea then.

We have to send in out deposits around the 10th. They should have a better idea then.
I'm beginning to wonder if there are going to be any July acceptances this year... Or if there have been any, they aren't SDN members. Has anyone heard of anyone receiving an acceptance since June 19th? I'm really hoping that you are right about the 10th!

My status no longer says I am on the high waitlist, just "Thank you for interviewing." Anyone else?

I'm guessing this means they have completed selecting their class?

Same. I can't imagine they'd give out all their rejections this early though - there's a (slim, yes) possibility that someone will get an acceptance somewhere higher rated and still pull from the list. My own pediatrician told me he got accepted at CU the day before classes started.

Yeah, CU is notorious for taking people last minute. I'm still hopeful, but will try to call tomorrow. Not sure why they would change the status without telling anyone, maybe it doesn't mean anything. I'm stuck planning a move that I hope to not have to make, but have to plan for the worst, lol.

C'mon CU, show us some love! (Preferably in the form of acceptances, but will accept communication as well:)

FYI, I turned in my $200 deposit Monday, recieved an email from the bursar's office with a receipt today.

FYI, I turned in my $200 deposit Monday, recieved an email from the bursar's office with a receipt today.
Huh. I mailed my check in last Thursday. No confirmation email yet though. o_O

Huh. I mailed my check in last Thursday. No confirmation email yet though. o_O

Based on what @nellbot2000 said, it sounds like they turned it in, in person. Is that right?

I called the admin office on tuesday just to check if they received all of my documentation and they said they did besides the deposit. My mail carrier told me it would be delivered monday and the guy on the phone said the mailing system is a little slow, so I'm guessing my check is there and I don't need to fret (yet).

Based on what @nellbot2000 said, it sounds like they turned it in, in person. Is that right?

I called the admin office on tuesday just to check if they received all of my documentation and they said they did besides the deposit. My mail carrier told me it would be delivered monday and the guy on the phone said the mailing system is a little slow, so I'm guessing my check is there and I don't need to fret (yet).
Haha I hope you're right. This whole process has made me quite neurotic!

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I went in person to hand it in. I'm not sure whether or not everyone will get an email. I have a ucdenver.edu email account already, that's where it was sent, but it isn't the email I provided via AMCAS.

Yes, I went in person to hand it in. I'm not sure whether or not everyone will get an email. I have a ucdenver.edu email account already, that's where it was sent, but it isn't the email I provided via AMCAS.

Ohh, gotcha. Yeah I just checked my cu email too and it was there. Thanks!

i got off the waitlist today, so there still is movement. not sure if i'm going to accept or not but i only have 24 hours to decide. keep your heads up, there's still hope

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! Happy to hear there is still movement... hopefully there is more to come. Did you get the letter in June? & may I ask if they notified you by phone or e-mail?

i got off the waitlist today, so there still is movement. not sure if i'm going to accept or not but i only have 24 hours to decide. keep your heads up, there's still hope

Had your status online previously changed, or was it still at the High Alternate point? Congratulations!!

Thanks guys! I did not get that letter in June and I was notified by phone. I don't know if my status changed because I had assumed CU had basically finished with their movement and stopped checking my status. I decided against taking the spot, so I hope one of you gets it!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys! I did not get that letter in June and I was notified by phone. I don't know if my status changed because I had assumed CU had basically finished with their movement and stopped checking my status. I decided against taking the spot, so I hope one of you gets it!!

DIBS! That's how that works, right?!

Oh, man. I had accepted that I was going elsewhere, this recent development has put me back into a (false?) state of hope!

Goforbroke754, I'll rock/paper/scissors you for it! (Just a warning though, I recently heard on NPR how to achieve a statistical advantage in that game... You might just want to forfeit to save you the extreme embarrassment. ; )

Last edited:
Just got the phone call last week. I took the offer and I'm looking forward to attending this fall. I asked the admissions rep and I was told there are still spots to fill, so hang in there you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted earlier this week via phone. IS, re applicant, nontraditional, little below average stats for CU. Had to cancel moving plans but it'll be worth it to stay close to friends and family.

My status did change to "Thank you for interviewing," beforehand so I wouldn't consider it a rejection at this point. The first day of orientation is in a little less than two weeks so time is getting short however. They did tell me there has not been as much waitlist movement as previous years. Good luck to everyone still in the running.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else on the waitlist just get this email?:

Dear Applicant:

The Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application to the University of Colorado School of Medicine. This year, we have received over 6,000 applications for our 184 places in the first year class. With so many talented and exceptional applicants, our Admissions Committee faces a very difficult task. I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you a spot in the upcoming class.

Thank you for your interest in the University of Colorado School of Medicine and best wishes for your education and career plans.
I am hoping (really hard) that this is in reference to the 2013-2014 cycle and not my current (re)application.

Anyone else on the waitlist just get this email?:

Dear Applicant:

The Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application to the University of Colorado School of Medicine. This year, we have received over 6,000 applications for our 184 places in the first year class. With so many talented and exceptional applicants, our Admissions Committee faces a very difficult task. I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you a spot in the upcoming class.

Thank you for your interest in the University of Colorado School of Medicine and best wishes for your education and career plans.
I am hoping (really hard) that this is in reference to the 2013-2014 cycle and not my current (re)application.

I received this as well. My heart sank the second I saw it because I just submitted my secondary for the next cycle like 4 hours ago and at first I thought they had already rejected me. Now that I think about it though, it has to be from the last cycle.

Last edited:
I received this as well. My heart sank the second I saw it because I just submitted my secondary for the next cycle like 4 hours ago and at first I thought they had already rejected me. Now that I think about it though, it has to be from the last cycle.

I emailed. It's definitely in reference to the August 2014 class.

I'll chime in. So I'm OOS, 22, Male, and at most (if not almost all) schools would be considered ORM but for CU, they considered my group to be URM. I only applied to the MD program, though I did click an interest in the Global Health Track. No dual degree or UNITE or rural. I suppose you could technically consider my state to be an under served area? I mean, we do have one med school here though.

And @Anha5059 I also got that exact same email just now this morning even though I got the acceptance email yesterday, so I don't think that's a formal "you're on the waitlist" email.

What group is considered URM by CU?

What group is considered URM by CU?
All the ones that AMCAS recognizes and some sub-groups of Asian (Southeast Asian - Vietnamese, Hmong, Mienh, Lao, Cambodian, etc) from what I remember