2013-2014 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one who can't seem to find any information about the Colorado Springs branch and how it differs from the other Colorado Med branch?

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only one who can't seem to find any information about the Colorado Springs branch and how it differs from the other Colorado Med branch?

Haha me either. I just sent an email asking for a little more information. From what I did read though it seems to be more Colorado Springs resident focused, but I could be mistaken. I will post any info I get from their reply. Good luck to all!

You're not alone. I just chose the main branch so that I won't have to write another essay. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, current CUSOM MS1 here! That feels strange to say, but since I've finished my first week I suppose I can call myself that now. Let me know if you have any questions about the school, location, student culture, etc. and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. I can't really speculate about admissions or applicant chances, but I'd be glad to share my (albeit limited) experiences so far. I'm a CO resident, somewhat nontrad (not a science major, took some time off).

Good luck everyone!:luck:

Thanks! What would you say sets this school apart?

They seem somewhat service-oriented, but don't seem to make a huge deal out of primary care. They seem to really like high MCAT scores. There seems to be some emphasis given to rural healthcare for demographic reasons.

I guess most other schools seem to have one or two priorities that they make a huge deal out of in admissions literature. I'm not seeing that here. What do you think?

Does this school pre screen before they offer secondaries?

A few thoughts from an MS2...

CU interviews and admits a lot of out-of-state students and the vast majority of them are from California. Our class has a very high OOS/IS ratio (42% out of state) and I'd venture to guess that a third of our class is from California.

All out-of-state students are billed as "accountable students". I believe it used to be that the first year cost more (close to $80K-something) and then the remaining three years were less, but now all four years are billed at approximately the same amount (about $60K).

As I understand it, the Colorado Springs program works like this: you spend your first two years at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora (Denver area) with the rest of the class, but then you do your third and fourth year rotations in Colorado Springs.

A few thoughts from an MS2...

CU interviews and admits a lot of out-of-state students and the vast majority of them are from California. Our class has a very high OOS/IS ratio (42% out of state) and I'd venture to guess that a third of our class is from California.

All out-of-state students are billed as "accountable students". I believe it used to be that the first year cost more (close to $80K-something) and then the remaining three years were less, but now all four years are billed at approximately the same amount (about $60K).

As I understand it, the Colorado Springs program works like this: you spend your first two years at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora (Denver area) with the rest of the class, but then you do your third and fourth year rotations in Colorado Springs.
It's my understanding that this was an odd year for CU and that there was a lot of backlash from the community for taking such a high proportion of OOS. What I have heard as a result of this going forward they are looking to go back to their traditional proportions of ISS to OSS, which as supported by their website is 75+% ISS. Good luck in your MS2 year.

P.S. - I remember in a previous thread they quoted a high % of OOS interviewed. For the 2013 incoming class they cite 274 out of 3714 secondary applicants were given interviews. This is just over 7% which is significantly down from the year in which you were admitted Lingo.

Good luck everyone.

Thanks for posting! Can you comment on the rural and urban tracks?

So far even the people in tracks haven't seen a lot of action yet because they really want us to focus on anatomy at the beginning of the semester. I believe you apply to the urban track during the regular app process, but again, they haven't even had any meetings yet. As far as the rural track goes, it sounds like a really cool thing to get involved in if you are interested in rural medicine. Everyone at CU will do at least 1 rural rotation (CO has lots of rural underserved areas) and there are options to do more. One 4th year that was in the rural track said he did several rural rotations. Also, they each get to make a belt buckle!:laugh:

Thanks! What would you say sets this school apart?

They seem somewhat service-oriented, but don't seem to make a huge deal out of primary care. They seem to really like high MCAT scores. There seems to be some emphasis given to rural healthcare for demographic reasons.

I guess most other schools seem to have one or two priorities that they make a huge deal out of in admissions literature. I'm not seeing that here. What do you think?

Here are a few things I can think of off the top of my head

-regionally, CU's medical center draws from a huge surrounding area (lots of diversity)
-It is highly ranked for primary care if you're interested in those rankings
-University of Colorado Hospital (just underwent expansion): http://www.uch.edu/about/
-Laid-back, friendly atmosphere (med students and the community as a whole)
-Brand new interdisciplinary campus that includes MD, dentistry, pharm, PA, nursing programs as well as UCH, Childrens Hospital (#5 nationally), the new VA hospital (est. to open 2015). Also, affiliations with National Jewish (#1 respiratory hospital) as well as Denver Health, Denver's public hospital. The UCH network is also rapidly expanding, and a CO springs branch of the medical school is in the works.
-Opportunities for students to participate in different "tracks" including rural, urban underserved, global health, women's health, research
-Awesome CO lifestyle, 300 days of sunshine=healthy, happy people
-recorded lectures

That's all I can think of right now... I LOVE it here! And everyone else should feel free to chime in! Ok, I need to go study :D

Just put the finishing touches on my secondary essay...for last year's prompt. D'oh! Guess I'll just delete that one. :(

Still very happy to hear that they're looking at reversing the trend towards OOS admissions this year since I'm IS. I've been wait listed here twice, and it's so frustrating to sit on that list and see so many seats go to OOS students. No offense intended for all of you OOSers here, but this is Colorado's ONLY instate institution.

Anybody else looking to apply to the Colorado Springs branch?

Has anyone received a confirmation email for the secondary? Also, I was worried because I didn't see one for the fee receipt, but I found it in my spam folder.

Has anyone received a confirmation email for the secondary? Also, I was worried because I didn't see one for the fee receipt, but I found it in my spam folder.

At the bottom of the secondary by where you submit, it says that you will not receive a confirmation email. I just got mine submitted today finally. It was actually nice to not have to write about myself in a secondary for once.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the bottom of the secondary by where you submit, it says that you will not receive a confirmation email. I just got mine submitted today finally. It was actually nice to not have to write about myself in a secondary for once.

I completely agree with you; I enjoyed writing this essay. At least, it was different. This was my last secondary, and I was too lazy to choose the other campus or any track because then I had to write essays again. At first, I wanted to select Urban track because I am interested, but the essay prompt was very difficult. :p

By the way, after submitting my sec app and paying the fee, I checked the status, but it is not updated!?

I completely agree with you; I enjoyed writing this essay. At least, it was different. This was my last secondary, and I was too lazy to choose the other campus or any track because then I had to write essays again. At first, I wanted to select Urban track because I am interested, but the essay prompt was very difficult. :p

By the way, after submitting my sec app and paying the fee, I checked the status, but it is not updated!?

I felt the same way. One essay is more than enough. My status doesn't say complete yet either. I'm guessing it just takes some time for them to process the application and fee before they change it.

I felt the same way. One essay is more than enough. My status doesn't say complete yet either. I'm guessing it just takes some time for them to process the application and fee before they change it.

Came here to say this, I submitted and paid yesterday and it still says "we will process once your fee is received and application is submitted" (paraphrased that). Good luck to all!

Edit: Also, I applied to the Colorado Springs position as well as the rural track. Has anyone heard good/bad about either?

What I have heard as a result of this going forward they are looking to go back to their traditional proportions of ISS to OSS, which as supported by their website is 75+% ISS.

Most likely, but it was more like 70/30 the two years before my class.

got excited after getting a secondary here, only to quickly realize everyone gets it too :p. Good luck to everyone on SDN!

Does anyone know if CU takes fap? Can't submit secondary without paying :/

Does anyone know if CU takes fap? Can't submit secondary without paying :/

From #2 on the secondary application page:

"Secondary application fee payment of $100 or AMCAS fee waiver (FAP). At the end of the secondary application you will be directed to the online payment center. You may pay the fee online via credit card or checking (ACH). The secondary fee is non refundable. IF YOU HAVE BEEN GRANTED AN AMCAS FEE WAIVER (FAP), DO NOT COMPLETE THE PAYMENT. IT IS NOT REFUNDABLE. You do not need to contact our office, because the FAP data is imported with your AMCAS file. When we receive your secondary application we will automatically waive the CU fee for all applicants with an AMCAS FAP."

I submitted my secondary without touching the payment thing. This was on 8/26, and I haven't heard anything yet, but it's still really early. Give them a call if you're still worried about it.

from #2 on the secondary application page:

"secondary application fee payment of $100 or amcas fee waiver (fap). At the end of the secondary application you will be directed to the online payment center. You may pay the fee online via credit card or checking (ach). The secondary fee is non refundable. If you have been granted an amcas fee waiver (fap), do not complete the payment. It is not refundable. You do not need to contact our office, because the fap data is imported with your amcas file. When we receive your secondary application we will automatically waive the cu fee for all applicants with an amcas fap."

i submitted my secondary without touching the payment thing. This was on 8/26, and i haven't heard anything yet, but it's still really early. Give them a call if you're still worried about it.

+1

From #2 on the secondary application page:

"Secondary application fee payment of $100 or AMCAS fee waiver (FAP). At the end of the secondary application you will be directed to the online payment center. You may pay the fee online via credit card or checking (ACH). The secondary fee is non refundable. IF YOU HAVE BEEN GRANTED AN AMCAS FEE WAIVER (FAP), DO NOT COMPLETE THE PAYMENT. IT IS NOT REFUNDABLE. You do not need to contact our office, because the FAP data is imported with your AMCAS file. When we receive your secondary application we will automatically waive the CU fee for all applicants with an AMCAS FAP."

I submitted my secondary without touching the payment thing. This was on 8/26, and I haven't heard anything yet, but it's still really early. Give them a call if you're still worried about it.

Thank you so much! :)

I'm stuck on the campus question. Where can I find more information about Colorado Springs?

What do you think are the chances for a 3.7/31 CO resident with pretty good ECs.

I'm not sure why I'm even considering applying here. The OOS tuition is simply absurd. I wouldn't go even if I got in because of the cost, so I don't think I'll do the secondary. Anyone else feel that way (unfortunately)?

I'm not sure why I'm even considering applying here. The OOS tuition is simply absurd. I wouldn't go even if I got in because of the cost, so I don't think I'll do the secondary. Anyone else feel that way (unfortunately)?

I bet you would if this was the only school that accepted you. Things can happen. Maybe at your state school/safety interview, you answered an ethical question in a really bad way and the interviewer hated it. Not so safety anymore. Or maybe CU throws you some financial aid package that makes tuition about the same as other OOS schools.

I sound so freaking neurotic. SDN has taken over me.

tl;dr: I think the extra tuition is worth colorado's awesome location. I wouldn't mind living there for the next 4 years.

What do you think are the chances for a 3.7/31 CO resident with pretty good ECs.
Hopefully pretty good! I have almost the exact same stats. Really hope I can stick around here in Denver for med school.

Anybody having trouble submitting? I'm getting a connection error.

yeah same

I finished the main page of the supplementary app and submitted it, but had problems getting to the page to pay the fee. Now I cannot find a link back to the payment page to try again... Any suggestions?

I sent them an email and am waiting to hear back.

I had a question about the secondary (someone else also asked this earlier but I didn't think it was answered).

For those who are opting to apply to the urban/rural tracks,

It says, "Complete the essay for the track you wish to apply to in the appropriate box below. Please limit each essay to 2500 characters, including spaces (about 400 words)."

BUT THEN...

"Please answer all four questions below separately. This application should not exceed 1200 words. Please do not repeat the content from your AMCAS or Colorado Secondary Application essays."

The essay has 4 questions (A, B, C, D). So if I have 400 words per essay, but then can't go over 1200 words... someone is doing their math incorrectly, right?

I had a question about the secondary (someone else also asked this earlier but I didn't think it was answered).

It says, "Complete the essay for the track you wish to apply to in the appropriate box below. Please limit each essay to 2500 characters, including spaces (about 400 words)."

BUT THEN...

"Please answer all four questions below separately. This application should not exceed 1200 words. Please do not repeat the content from your AMCAS or Colorado Secondary Application essays."

The essay has 4 questions (A, B, C, D). So if I have 400 words per essay, but then can't go over 1200 words... someone is doing their math incorrectly, right?

I have been having difficulty with correspondence via email, so I decided to use the 1200 word max as a combined total and just made sure none of my individual essays exceeded 400 words.

ok, gotcha. I pretty much ended up doing the same thing, Just feels kinda weird cramming so many answers into one box :laugh:

The reason why you are not finding much on Colorado Springs Branch is because it has not opened yet. Yours would be the first class in the 3rd year of your studies.

Ok so I submitted my application and fee 6 days ago and my status still says they will begin reviewing my secondary once my payment is received. Is this happening for anyone else?

Ok so I submitted my application and fee 6 days ago and my status still says they will begin reviewing my secondary once my payment is received. Is this happening for anyone else?

Yes. It says on the status check page "Payment processing may take 7-10 days." I wouldn't worry for another 4 or 5 days.

BUT THEN...

Could you please post the 4 questions for the urban/rural tracks? Please also let us know if you found the answer to your question!

I finished the main page of the supplementary app and submitted it, but had problems getting to the page to pay the fee. Now I cannot find a link back to the payment page to try again... Any suggestions?

I sent them an email and am waiting to hear back.
I have almost the exact same situation

My application says applicants do not receive final decision until March 31st. I'm too lazy to quote the words right now but the way that its worded is ambiguous. Does it mean none of us will hear until March 31st or that everyone is guaranteed word by march 31st? Also, in regards to what we hear, I'm assuming they mean acceptance not interview, right? So technically we will hear from them well bsfore march 31st because if we get an interview...can someone explain this to me.

My application says applicants do not receive final decision until March 31st. I'm too lazy to quote the words right now but the way that its worded is ambiguous. Does it mean none of us will hear until March 31st or that everyone is guaranteed word by march 31st? Also, in regards to what we hear, I'm assuming they mean acceptance not interview, right? So technically we will hear from them well bsfore march 31st because if we get an interview...can someone explain this to me.

They're a rolling school, so people find out about acceptances as the year goes on. The March 31st deadline is for everyone including rejections and WL and acceptances. The admissions committee didn't bother following this deadline last year and people were left in the dark well into April and May

Sat on this one for a while. I liked the essay prompt but I had a hard time narrowing exactly what aspect I wanted to talk about. Anyways... app submitted and fee paid.

Let the great wait begin.

Good luck to everyone! I'm IS MCAT 32, cGPA 3.63 sGPA 3.79. Waiting to hear back.

Quick shout out to LingoLaine! Good luck with MS2! :thumbup:

So after submitting secondary and paying the fee, I didn't see any status change on my page. And if I go back to the secondary page it is blank as if I didn't enter anything at all. Not sure how to tell they got the completed secondary or not... Anyone else have this problem?

So I remember LingoLaine posting something about this last year but I had to post it again this year: this school is awesome! For your first anatomy exam we walked into the lecture hall to cheers and high fives from the second years, and awesome goodie bags from our second year buddies! They were based on a survey we filled out a while ago about what we liked. Most people got snacks like chocolate or candy, things like bubble bath and let's not forget alcohol. I myself walked away with some nice red wine and classmates got everything ranging from tequila and Colorado microbrews to bottles of champagne. It was awesome! The school has such a fantastic community! Good luck this cycle, everyone-hope to see you at interviews!

Thanks Lala. :hello:

Fingers crossed that THIS is the admissions cycle of your dreams.

Is anyone here affected by the Colorado flooding?

Is anyone here affected by the Colorado flooding?

There's been flooding by my house, nothing too bad though, and I am out at school in another state anyway.

3.5 cGPA/ 3.6sGPA / 3.9gGPA
32 MCAT
Decent ECs OOS

apply or not to apply? that is the question

what do you all think?

3.5 cGPA/ 3.6sGPA / 3.9gGPA
32 MCAT
Decent ECs OOS

apply or not to apply? that is the question

what do you all think?

They'll like the strong finish with your gGPA, and your MCAT is okay, but perhaps difficult for an OOS. I'd say if you we're IS (your stats would be near identical to mine), you'd be fine. However, you probably need a reeeal strong PS/secondary, be URM, or nontrad. Colorado tends to like nontrad.