2013-2014 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you're right that's a good idea. I just expect better from the website of the "harvard of the west" :)

Ah yes, the "Harvard of the west" needs to revamp their application page slash admissions page if you ask me.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah yes, the "Harvard of the west" needs to revamp their application page slash admissions page if you ask me.

I think I missed something here. Who referred to them as the "Harvard of the west"?

My stats are signifigantly low for Colorado I'm afraid. Debating not filling out secondary when it comes. Do I have even a tiny chance with a 31 and 3.81? My extracorriculars are decent, but nothing special. Personal statement is pretty nice though, maybe, sort of.

Has anyone gotten this secondary yet???

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I missed something here. Who referred to them as the "Harvard of the west"?

My stats are signifigantly low for Colorado I'm afraid. Debating not filling out secondary when it comes. Do I have even a tiny chance with a 31 and 3.81? My extracorriculars are decent, but nothing special. Personal statement is pretty nice though, maybe, sort of.
I was accepted this past cycle with 32T and 3.6. CU does a good job at doing a holistic review of each applicant

Don't get too focused on stats (yours are competitive for Colorado). As another commenter said, CU does a real holistic review. They are seriously interested in candidates who are unique or stand out in some way. Look for any way to separate from the crowd with your secondary and interview. And establish some confidence!

Don't get too focused on stats (yours are competitive for Colorado). As another commenter said, CU does a real holistic review. They are seriously interested in candidates who are unique or stand out in some way. Look for any way to separate from the crowd with your secondary and interview. And establish some confidence!

Thanks for the insight, will do. And thanks to Turk as well. I do have a few things that I feel make me stand out a little, like my extremely rural upbringing and bad area, extracurriculars aren't spectacular. Fingers crossed!

The whole Harvard of the West thing is more so just a reflection of how good the school is. I think it is something us Colorado natives started, but I've been hearing it called that since I started college at CU. It is one of the few schools in the region and it routinely shows up in the top 10 of the USA News best schools for things like primary care.

As far as I can gather they do a really good job at looking at candidates as a whole. Their stats are not nearly as stringent as Harvard's are. I know plenty of people that have gotten in to CU with scores comparable to yours.

hmm i've been thinking about adding this school to my primary. seeing as no one has even gotten the secondary it doesn't seem like too bad an idea

For anyone too lazy to look, it says it won't happen until September. I wonder what they gain from this delay?

Looks like I'll have to leave one day during school to do secondaries. Other than that, I guess I'm done :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone too lazy to look, it says it won't happen until September. I wonder what they gain from this delay?

Well, new dean of admissions during the last cycle and new director of admissions started a couple of weeks ago. That and they're changing a few things (new essay prompt and implementing a low GPA/MCAT cutoff for sending secondary invites) this cycle, according to Dr. Grenardo. Combine that with the usual CO admissions sluggishness...

Well, new dean of admissions during the last cycle and new director of admissions started a couple of weeks ago. That and they're changing a few things (new essay prompt and implementing a low GPA/MCAT cutoff for sending secondary invites) this cycle, according to Dr. Grenardo. Combine that with the usual CO admissions sluggishness...

New prompt?

::crumbles up pre-written essay and misses the trash can::

Do you guys think it is too late to apply in October for CU medical school?

Their secondary wont be released until next month. I think you'll be fine applying in October.

You'll be in better shape at this school where the secondary will be out in September and the prompt will be new than the ones where the secondary become available as early as June 26th. I'd add Colorado! It's a solid OOS school, that's for sure. They receive 4643 OOS apps and give out 407 OOS interview. That's above average for public universities.

You'll be in better shape at this school where the secondary will be out in September and the prompt will be new than the ones where the secondary become available as early as June 26th. I'd add Colorado! It's a solid OOS school, that's for sure. They receive 4643 OOS apps and give out 407 OOS interview. That's above average for public universities.

As mentioned above, the only downside to applying OOS is the price point at Colorado.

I am actually IS so, hopefully that would help. Thank you!

Their secondary wont be released until next month. I think you'll be fine applying in October.
Ey Cambover, have you confirmed with someone at the SOM that the secondary will not be released until next month, or are you extrapolating from the website link above for the status? That website link above shows September 2012 and we know that sdn'ers last year got secondaries around August 2nd. I think I remember reading somewhere on threads last year that the secondary was sent out and could be completed, but that particular status login wasn't active until 9/1..

Ey Cambover, have you confirmed with someone at the SOM that the secondary will not be released until next month, or are you extrapolating from the website link above for the status? That website link above shows September 2012 and we know that sdn'ers last year got secondaries around August 2nd. I think I remember reading somewhere on threads last year that the secondary was sent out and could be completed, but that particular status login wasn't active until 9/1..

No, I cannot say that I know for sure. I would be happy if I was wrong and it was released sooner, but I was going off of what was said above.

The link above actually says the site will be closed until their app season opens up in September 2013, so I think it's safe to say he is correct. Plus, August is already 2/3 over so even if they sent out secondaries tomorrow, it'd only be a week before September anyway.

The link above actually says the site will be closed until their app season opens up in September 2013, so I think it's safe to say he is correct. Plus, August is already 2/3 over so even if they sent out secondaries tomorrow, it'd only be a week before September anyway.
Oh, it looks like it changed from when I last saw it, good lookin' out! Either that or I'm hallucinating, I'd say it's an even 50-50 at this point :)

CO is my last secondary and my first choice school (anyone else in this same boat?).. All I want is some love!

Oh, it looks like it changed from when I last saw it, good lookin' out! Either that or I'm hallucinating, I'd say it's an even 50-50 at this point :)

CO is my last secondary and my first choice school (anyone else in this same boat?).. All I want is some love!

Plus our advisor told us their app will come out in Sept this year, which will be literally a full month after my second latest secondary...

Secondary received just now! Phew, glad it didn't get dragged out into September

Secondary received.

One essay:

The way in which medicine is practiced in this country has evolved over time. Significant societal and technological changes have occurred over the past 50 years, for example. Please comment on this phenomenon, what you think the near future holds and which values (or principles) the medical profession should retain. In your discussion, you may wish to explore ethics, economics, access to healthcare or any topic you consider relevant. Please limit your essay to 2500 characters, including spaces (about 400 words).

Secondary received.

One essay:

The way in which medicine is practiced in this country has evolved over time. Significant societal and technological changes have occurred over the past 50 years, for example. Please comment on this phenomenon, what you think the near future holds and which values (or principles) the medical profession should retain. In your discussion, you may wish to explore ethics, economics, access to healthcare or any topic you consider relevant. Please limit your essay to 2500 characters, including spaces (about 400 words).

They also increased their class size with the option of participating in a new track based in Colorado Springs for the third year. You can do normal track, Colorado Springs, or either. If you want to be in the running for Colorado Springs, you have to do an additional essay.

"Please submit a short statement (250 words or less) regarding your interest in the Colorado Springs Branch. You may address characteristics of the Branch that would be a fit for your strengths, experiences, and career plans. You may also note your ties to or interest in Colorado Springs or other similar communities."

Secondary received just now! Phew, glad it didn't get dragged out into September

+1!!!! Sad that I pre wrote for the previous secondary though... And a brutal essay to work on now! GL all :)

Got the secondary as well. That is an intimidating essay though. :eek:

I really like the essay prompt. One of my last secondaries, but find it pretty engaging.

I don't think it took this long to get the secondary last year. I was starting to think I'd never get it. Good luck everyone!

Secondary received. !!!
Struggling financially and not sure if I should fill it out. What do u guys think, how likely are they to interview out of state, CA residents?

They also increased their class size with the option of participating in a new track based in Colorado Springs for the third year. You can do normal track, Colorado Springs, or either. If you want to be in the running for Colorado Springs, you have to do an additional essay.

"Please submit a short statement (250 words or less) regarding your interest in the Colorado Springs Branch. You may address characteristics of the Branch that would be a fit for your strengths, experiences, and career plans. You may also note your ties to or interest in Colorado Springs or other similar communities."

Hmm. That's a doozie. Definitely will have to ponder for a few days before typing it up.

Edit: oops, meant to quote the essay prompt

I really like the essay prompt. One of my last secondaries, but find it pretty engaging.

I agree. I don't like the generic prompts. VCU also had a pretty engaging one. Does this school pre-screen?

I agree. I don't like the generic prompts. VCU also had a pretty engaging one. Does this school pre-screen?

No, I don't think so. They send it to everyone.

This essay is going to require a lot of thought.

Secondary received. !!!
Struggling financially and not sure if I should fill it out. What do u guys think, how likely are they to interview out of state, CA residents?

I'm in the same position, kind of burnt out on secondary writing and kind of broke. Not sure what I want to do with this one. Any insight on likelihood of getting an interview as a CA anyone can offer would be much appreciated!

Also from CA here, having the same problem as surfdoc. Anyone know anything about this "accountable student" tuition stuff? Where instead of paying $83k in tuition as an OOS you can pay "just" $60k? Who is eligible for that?

I'm a CA resident and I interviewed here last year. They interview a good chunk of OOS if you look at last year's thread and the year before, they've been going higher and higher on OOS percentages. As for the tuition, the 83k (from what I understand) is retroactively charged if you drop out. I am pretty sure if you are normal OOS student you pay 60K

Actually, at one of the recruitment meetings this year, Dr. Grenardo mentioned that they are aiming to go more IS percentages in the next coming years. Not that y'all CA students aren't strong candidates and that they don't still interview a great number of OOS applicants vs other state schools, though!

Received the secondary today as well. I'm IS but with a <30 MCAT. Sad because even though I have a lot of connections to CU, I don't think I've got much of a chance. Why oh why must I live in a state with an MCAT-loving school?!

Hey guys, current CUSOM MS1 here! That feels strange to say, but since I've finished my first week I suppose I can call myself that now. Let me know if you have any questions about the school, location, student culture, etc. and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. I can't really speculate about admissions or applicant chances, but I'd be glad to share my (albeit limited) experiences so far. I'm a CO resident, somewhat nontrad (not a science major, took some time off).

Good luck everyone!:luck:

Hey guys, current CUSOM MS1 here! That feels strange to say, but since I've finished my first week I suppose I can call myself that now. Let me know if you have any questions about the school, location, student culture, etc. and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. I can't really speculate about admissions or applicant chances, but I'd be glad to share my (albeit limited) experiences so far. I'm a CO resident, somewhat nontrad (not a science major, took some time off).

Good luck everyone!:luck:
Thanks for posting! Can you comment on the rural and urban tracks?

Anybody having trouble submitting? I'm getting a connection error.

I'm considering applying for CU-UNITE, the urban underserved track. Can someone help me figure out what the word limit is?

It states: If after reviewing the information for these optional tracks you would like to apply to one of them, complete the essay for the track you wish to apply to in the appropriate box below. Please limit each essay to 2500 characters, including spaces (about 400 words).

But later, says: Please answer all four questions below separately. This application should not exceed 1200 words. Please do not repeat the content from your AMCAS or Colorado Secondary Application essays.

There are 4 prompts each, so 4x400 should be 1600 words. Ideas?