2013-2014 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any recent IIs? I was completed since Oct 2 and still no word.

Members don't see this ad.

Hm theoretically yes - Yale does start interviews as early as 9:30, right when it started
Confirmed that interviewees were basically holed up almost the entire day in the Admissions Office during the lockdown. They had a lot of time to roam that building (many MS1s live in the building). lol

Members don't see this ad :)
got a surprised II today...complete in July...pretty much gave up...good LizzyM and average EC's...available interview dates from Jan 15 thru Feb 14

Reactions: 2 users
Current MS1 happy to answer any questions about Yale. I totally love it here! We're taking finals now, and I've gotten free cookies from somewhere at least 4 days in a row this week. We're a very happy bunch of students. PM me with questions!

(This is my first post - I just made a new account with the new login with Facebook option)

interview invite today! very surprised, thought I had been passed over for sure. complete mid-september

Reactions: 2 users
ii yesterday, surprised with a complete date of 7/10

Reactions: 1 user
Do we know if any rejections have been sent out yet? This is by far my first choice and I haven't heard anything... Slowly dying...

Reactions: 1 users
Do we know if any rejections have been sent out yet? This is by far my first choice and I haven't heard anything... Slowly dying...
I'm not positive but I think Yale sends out rejections in March.

Been complete since early September...
This thread is so quiet...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not positive but I think Yale sends out rejections in March.
Yes, I believe this is true. On my interview day I was told that they're aiming to release decisions March 13th, though I guess that doesn't eliminate the possibility that some people will be rejected before that if they're all done interviewing. They're going to be interviewing into February though, pretty darn close to the decision release date. The admissions committee meets every Monday, so I'm assuming they're crafting the class as they go and will have most everyone sorted well before March to allow for the quick turnaround of the February interviewees.

Hello. This is directed to the current medical students. During the interview we were told that YSM is dramatically changing the curriculum. The pre-clerkship curriculum will be shorten to 18 months and the clerkship curriculum will become integrated. The Dean of MedEd said clerkships would be groups into "blocks" so a group of traditionally separate clerkships like internal medicine, OB/GYN, family medicine might be combined into one block. The Yale System also will be changed a bit. They said Fall 2014 would be the launch. Any new info?

Yes, it's "new" in the sense that they are implementing it this fall. It is a complete overhaul. During my interview day we had lunch with Dr. Belitsky the Dean of medical education so he spoke about it.

Seems like 18mo. pre-clinical curriculum is the new black. Yale and Cornell will both be implementing it next year, Northwestern, Emory, and Vanderbilt (12mo.) have in recent years ... Wow.

Seems like 18mo. pre-clinical curriculum is the new black. Yale and Cornell will both be implementing it next year, Northwestern, Emory, and Vanderbilt (12mo.) have in recent years ... Wow.
Yup, the University of Washington is moving to the same in 2015.

II just now!! awesome christmas gift :)
complete late october :)

on the -2 day of christmas yale gave to me... an II

10/17/22/24 and a few other jan dates available, didn't look at february.

When were you complete? And congrats!

mid october?

looked at the dates while filling out their surveys, looks like they are interviewing all the way until feb 21.

:)

Last edited:
on the -2 day of christmas yale gave to me... an II

10/17/22/24 and a few other jan dates available, didn't look at february.

II just now!! awesome christmas gift :)
complete late october :)

Congrats guys!!!

And in response to the discussion above, it IS funny that every school keeps touting their "new and innovative" 1.5 year curriculum...when all but one school I've interviewed at has implemented that same curriculum reform. But the Yale System is truly unique! In my opinion, the major drive of the interviews is trying to figure out if it's a system that will work for you. Anybody with any questions, feel free to PM me!

I have some questions:

Can you comment on the Commentaries from basic science courses in the Pre-Clerkship period?

Does the clerkship period have shelf examinations?

I have some questions:

Can you comment on the Commentaries from basic science courses in the Pre-Clerkship period?

Does the clerkship period have shelf examinations?

We do receive commentaries from a few courses during MSI and II, like Physiology and Epidemiology/Public Health. Is this what you're talking about? The section leaders write a few sentences on your overall performance, which may or may not be included in your Dean's letter for residency.

IIRC, we don't have the standard national shelf exams, but do have exams that are administered by the school.

Cool. That was on point. I can't wait until the release the final information on the new curriculum in detail on the website.

Does anyone know if yale is receptive to update letters pre-ii

excited and anxious about the interview here next week. Is it in traditional format? 2 faculty members or one faculty and one student? inquiry or conversational? any advices? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if YSM is receptive of in the area e-mails? I'll be interviewing at Brown on the 30th and would be able to make the drive that day to New Haven for an interview the following day or week.

excited and anxious about the interview here next week. Is it in traditional format? 2 faculty members or one faculty and one student? inquiry or conversational? any advices? Thanks in advance.
The mix of interviewers varies from person to person. I had a physician and an MD/PhD student during my interviews and I spent an hour with each. Some of my fellow interviewees had two physicians. The interviews were inquiry based but the tone was relaxed. I felt like I was able to share everything I wanted to share regarding my experiences, goals, and my feelings about Yale. You'll have a lovely time :)

Are they still sending II??? or am I just waiting for a rejection letter.

Are they still sending II??? or am I just waiting for a rejection letter.

Yale interviews until mid-February, so I would imagine there are still a couple IIs left to send. And about 2 weeks ago, someone posted about getting an II and had dates to pick from starting on January 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The mix of interviewers varies from person to person. I had a physician and an MD/PhD student during my interviews and I spent an hour with each. Some of my fellow interviewees had two physicians. The interviews were inquiry based but the tone was relaxed. I felt like I was able to share everything I wanted to share regarding my experiences, goals, and my feelings about Yale. You'll have a lovely time :)
jfrwu said:

Like t5edr4ws, I also had a physician and an MD/PhD student and each interview lasted an hour. The interviews are relaxed and the interviewers are great. They really try to get to know you more beyond your paper application. It was great. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Like t5edr4ws, I also have a physician and an MD/PhD student and each interview lasted an hour. The interviews are relaxed and the interviewers are great. They really try to get to know you more beyond your paper application. It was great. Good luck! :)
Thanks a lot to you and t5edr4ws

Does anyone know if YSM is receptive of in the area e-mails? I'll be interviewing at Brown on the 30th and would be able to make the drive that day to New Haven for an interview the following day or week.

I looked at past threads and it doesn't look like it hurts--especially if you live really far away (i.e. CA). I am not sure if they are completely receptive, but it does seem like they at least respond to in-the-area emails saying that they will take it into consideration. Hope that helps!

I looked at past threads and it doesn't look like it hurts--especially if you live really far away (i.e. CA). I am not sure if they are completely receptive, but it does seem like they at least respond to in-the-area emails saying that they will take it into consideration. Hope that helps!

Thanks! Is it better to e-mail admissions or submit a pdf letter through the application page?

Thanks! Is it better to e-mail admissions or submit a pdf letter through the application page?

I've read that if you send something to their email address, they'll tell you to upload it onto the portal.

The Yale website is god awful. They need to hurry and update quickly.

Has anyone that's interviewed recently learn when they'd send more info about the new curriculum?

Does anyone know when we will hear back from Yale and/or any info on second look this year?

Does anyone know when we will hear back from Yale and/or any info on second look this year?

From previous years' threads, it seems like Mid-March. I don't remember them saying what date specifically in March during the interview. But someone mentioned that they were told that Yale is trying to release decisions by March 13th.

No idea about second look.

Any recent interview invites? Or Yale has stop sending sending them out?

Reactions: 3 users
Any recent interview invites? Or Yale has stop sending sending them out?

Yale interviews until mid February. If they are still sending out invitations, the last ones should be done by the end of this week or early next.

Yale interviews until mid February. If they are still sending out invitations, the last ones should be done by the end of this week or early next.

I was complete on October 22nd, and I still haven't heard anything :( Do I have no chance of getting an interview now??

My understanding is that schools are going slower this year, is that true?

~confused and hoping there are others in the same boat~