2013-2014 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.9/40 mcat international. Is it worth completing secondary at this point or is it too late?

it's definitely not too late. yale is non rolling. but apply only if you really want to go there as the cost of interviewing and applying at a lot of places starts to add up...iv learned. yale is a top choice for me though so I hope i get in :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was really surprised to see just how many students Yale interviews (close to 800), because this thread is so quiet!
Glad to see the IIs rolling out :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh why is this thread so silent?

is yale slowing down the IIs or are most of the ppl getting invites not sdn posters? :p i really want an ii here!! (though dont we all :D)

ahh why is this thread so silent?

is yale slowing down the IIs or are most of the ppl getting invites not sdn posters? :p i really want an ii here!! (though dont we all :D)

No interview invite yet, submitted couple weeks ago. When did you submit?

yeah i submitted mid sept---nothing. I did SMDEP here, it was amazing!

Submitted mid of August - still nothing. You feel time goes too slow until you realize that we are already in middle of October.

I submitted late July or early August and still haven't heard anything... patience is a virtue that I wish I more fully possessed

mid-August. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of movement at the top schools I applied to judging from the forums at this point, except Pritzker.

I wanted to ask for those currently attending yale medical school, why you chose Yale?

I am applying to Yale because I can really see myself taking advantage of the Yale system and exploring my interests in underserved primary care. New Haven has a strong Latino community and the Haven free Clinic will be an opportunity to use my Spanish and gain clinical skills early on. I think the Yale system will make learning enjoyable because of the collaboration with students, and faculty. Ultimately, Yale will provide me with the opportunities to create my own path, I will be very independent and in the process learn more about my interests in medicine, and learn to become a physician leader in the community.

How big is Yale in underserved community involvement? I very interested in pursuing primary care and want to seek programs in medical schools such as free clinics, outreach programs, etc.

Does Yale provide any international students with financial aid? I was also wondering, is the thesis requirement only for basic sciences or can I study health disparities as a research study?

Thank you!

There's hope! I just got an II from Yale last week, my first and only so far!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

do you know how Yale is in regards to updates?

Since I submitted my application I have started taking classes that I wasn't before. Should I update them of this or not really important at this point?

Thank you!!!

I wanted to ask for those currently attending yale medical school, why you chose Yale?

I am applying to Yale because I can really see myself taking advantage of the Yale system and exploring my interests in underserved primary care. New Haven has a strong Latino community and the Haven free Clinic will be an opportunity to use my Spanish and gain clinical skills early on. I think the Yale system will make learning enjoyable because of the collaboration with students, and faculty. Ultimately, Yale will provide me with the opportunities to create my own path, I will be very independent and in the process learn more about my interests in medicine, and learn to become a physician leader in the community.

How big is Yale in underserved community involvement? I very interested in pursuing primary care and want to seek programs in medical schools such as free clinics, outreach programs, etc.

Does Yale provide any international students with financial aid? I was also wondering, is the thesis requirement only for basic sciences or can I study health disparities as a research study?

Thank you!

They say on their website that international students will be able to receive financial aid.

I don't usually post, but I saw some people wondering...hope this helps.:)

II on 10/8/13
Complete on 9/12/13

cGPA: 3.78/sGPA: 3.93/36/OOS/non-trad

doh! Just submitted but left distinctions and achievements blank! Also, didn't mention my current job as an AmeriCorps Healthcorps Health Educator. I mentioned it briefly in my why yale secondary question tho. Hope my chances didn't drop tremendously by leaving those details :(

doh! Just submitted but left distinctions and achievements blank! Also, didn't mention my current job as an AmeriCorps Healthcorps Health Educator. I mentioned it briefly in my why yale secondary question tho. Hope my chances didn't drop tremendously by leaving those details :(

You can always submit an update letter online

I had a pretty good interview day (can't compare to other schools though—this is the only one I've attended so far.). I think mine was their second interview day of the cycle.

My interview day had 7 people (very interesting, diverse group of people). In the morning we met with Mr. Silverman (the Director of Admissions, not Dean!) at the admissions office; he was a very nice, very chatty guy. I stayed with a student host, and the admissions office is in the dorms, so it was literally 4 floors down; really convenient.

In the office, Mr. Silverman gave us a briefing on what was to happen that day, then sat with us in the lobby to answer any questions until each interviewee decides to leave for their morning interviews (we had different times).

I went to my first interview which was ~5 mins away in another building. I had no surprise questions; everything that was asked was in Yale's SDN interview feedback page. It was semi-conversational, but mostly Q&A for me.

Then I came back to the admissions office, and talked to the other interviewees until lunchtime. I was surprised to find that most of them (if not all) weren't from HYPMS/Ivy/super-elite schools!

Lunch was supposed to be with one faculty and one student, but not sure what happened to the faculty. Instead, we had a fifth-year student (Yale has that free fifth year that a lot of people take advantage of). He was really nice, really straightforward. Lunch was a-OK. Sandwich, chips, fruit, water. Sandwich might have been good, but I don't like sandwiches in general :oops:

After lunch was the tour. There were three students taking us around the school. Every student we met seemed really happy; really good sign. Every person constantly emphasized how you should go there only if you feel that you would fit into the Yale system (right... like I was choosing whether I would accept Yale? I think they got it backwards).

Then it was time for my second interview. Again, no surprise questions. This interview got me a little worried, because the interviewer was really brief. It was hardly conversational at all: the interviewer would ask a question; I would answer; a short "OK, good!" and then on to the next question. I was out in 15 minutes :(

There was no formal farewell because each interviewee had different times, but I came back to the admissions office and some of them were still there. Asked them how it went, and I freaked out because their interviews were 45mins-1hour but mine were 30mins and 15mins :scared:

Then I met with my (really nice) host again to change out of my suit and say bye. Host told me the person who interviewed me for 15mins was a really busy person; I tried to convince myself that was why it was so short, and not because I bombed it. :rolleyes: As a consolation prize, I got my 2nd II while sitting downstairs waiting for my cab :naughty:

All in all, I really loved Yale, but didn't feel like my interview went awesome.. Wished it wasn't my first one. But we will see in March! And that's my long ramble about my interview day.

Thanks for this great post! Do you know what time were supposed to arrive? The email said 8:45 but the website said 8:30. Thanks!!

Thanks for this great post! Do you know what time were supposed to arrive? The email said 8:45 but the website said 8:30. Thanks!!

I arrived at like 8:40 and they hadn't started... I missed out on getting to know the other interviewees though, everyone came earlier than me. They didn't provide breakfast :mad: so eat first, I was starving during my first interview :(

Had my interview at Yale this week -- happy to share my experience, hope it's helpful!

The day starts at 8:45 with a 30 minute conversation with Director (not Dean!) Silverman. He is incredibly talkative and sat with us throughout the day as we waited for our interview slots. He's very into intramural sports and kept urging us to ask more questions -- I'd encourage you to come with many prepared! The other events everyone participated in were a financial aid presentation, a lunch with a faculty member, a session with senior students, and a tour with a first year. The financial aid session was very informative and it sounds like Yale has great resources; if your parents make less than 100K or so, your loans will be limited to a maximum of 26K per year and everything else (including room, board, living expenses, tuition) is given to you in the form of scholarship. The tour was great. Yale's facilities are really unparalleled, and there is so much history everywhere you turn.

Each person had two interview slots that were interspersed throughout the day. My first was with a 5th year medical student (5th year really means 4th -- about 70% of students take a fully funded extra year to conduct research and earn an MHS, which occurs chronologically between the 3rd and 4th years). This was more of a formal interview. I got the usual "tell me about yourself," was asked why I wanted to go into medicine, and why Yale was right for me. We talked for about an hour, though the interviewee who went in after me only stayed for about 20 minutes. Hopefully that's a good sign!

My second interview was the most interesting I've had in interview season so far. It was with a faculty member who is a plastic surgeon and does global health work fixing cleft palates throughout the world. This conversation was not formal at all -- the guy spent more time talking than I did. Our conversation ranged from music to women in surgery to Judaism around the world to life in New Haven. He also told me how the evaluative process works, which was very interesting (especially since I'm not totally sure we are supposed to know this stuff). Every application goes through three reads; if each one is a yes, the applicant is offered an interview. 650-700 interviews are granted. After interview day, each interviewer gives a yes or no to the committee. If there are two "yesses" the applicant is pushed through the next round of consideration; two no's mean a no; and one yes and one no lead to a vote by the commmitee. If an applicant gets to the final round of consideration after succeeding on interview day, the committee then considers demographics (sex, race) and interests to try to get a good balance in the class. 200 acceptances are sent out in March, then an additional 50 or so people come off the waitlist to form the class of 100. The waitlist has three tiers.

Hope this info was helpful! I came away from the day absolutely in love with the school. Definitely (along with Columbia, perhaps...) my first choice.

After interview day, each interviewer gives a yes or no to the committee. If there are two "yesses" the applicant is pushed through the next round of consideration; two no's mean a no; and one yes and one no lead to a vote by the commmitee. If an applicant gets to the final round of consideration after succeeding on interview day, the committee then considers demographics (sex, race) and interests to try to get a good balance in the class. 200 acceptances are sent out in March, then an additional 50 or so people come off the waitlist to form the class of 100. The waitlist has three tiers.

Great info! Did the tell you this? I didn't think to ask!

Great info! Did the tell you this? I didn't think to ask!

Yup! My interviewer told me about the process that happens after the interview, and the numbers were given to all of us in our interview packets. Last year, 266 people total received acceptances. There was also a breakdown by school, sex, major, and race.

For all of you with slightly lower GPAs and MCATs, like me -- don't despair! My interviewer took one look at them and said "great GPA, great MCATs," which made me feel a lot better, since they are lower than any of the highly competitive schools' averages.

What's a "lower" MCAT? Seems like everyone with an II here has MCAT 36+....anyone with II with a lower score?

II just now!!! I was complete late-July, so this is a pleasant surprise!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when Yale releases its decisions? I forgot. Interviewed Oct 4th. Sorry if this has been asked already.

Anyone know when Yale releases its decisions? I forgot. Interviewed Oct 4th. Sorry if this has been asked already.
Damnit, MDapps isn't working so now people can't read your awesome/hilarious school experience summaries! This is quite devastating...

Had my interview at Yale this week -- happy to share my experience, hope it's helpful!

The day starts at 8:45 with a 30 minute conversation with Director (not Dean!) Silverman. He is incredibly talkative and sat with us throughout the day as we waited for our interview slots. He's very into intramural sports and kept urging us to ask more questions -- I'd encourage you to come with many prepared! The other events everyone participated in were a financial aid presentation, a lunch with a faculty member, a session with senior students, and a tour with a first year. The financial aid session was very informative and it sounds like Yale has great resources; if your parents make less than 100K or so, your loans will be limited to a maximum of 26K per year and everything else (including room, board, living expenses, tuition) is given to you in the form of scholarship. The tour was great. Yale's facilities are really unparalleled, and there is so much history everywhere you turn.

Each person had two interview slots that were interspersed throughout the day. My first was with a 5th year medical student (5th year really means 4th -- about 70% of students take a fully funded extra year to conduct research and earn an MHS, which occurs chronologically between the 3rd and 4th years). This was more of a formal interview. I got the usual "tell me about yourself," was asked why I wanted to go into medicine, and why Yale was right for me. We talked for about an hour, though the interviewee who went in after me only stayed for about 20 minutes. Hopefully that's a good sign!

My second interview was the most interesting I've had in interview season so far. It was with a faculty member who is a plastic surgeon and does global health work fixing cleft palates throughout the world. This conversation was not formal at all -- the guy spent more time talking than I did. Our conversation ranged from music to women in surgery to Judaism around the world to life in New Haven. He also told me how the evaluative process works, which was very interesting (especially since I'm not totally sure we are supposed to know this stuff). Every application goes through three reads; if each one is a yes, the applicant is offered an interview. 650-700 interviews are granted. After interview day, each interviewer gives a yes or no to the committee. If there are two "yesses" the applicant is pushed through the next round of consideration; two no's mean a no; and one yes and one no lead to a vote by the commmitee. If an applicant gets to the final round of consideration after succeeding on interview day, the committee then considers demographics (sex, race) and interests to try to get a good balance in the class. 200 acceptances are sent out in March, then an additional 50 or so people come off the waitlist to form the class of 100. The waitlist has three tiers.

Hope this info was helpful! I came away from the day absolutely in love with the school. Definitely (along with Columbia, perhaps...) my first choice.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi, I wanted to check on something from my Yale secondary but after logging into <https://application.med.yale.edu>, I get an error saying that something is wrong with the page. Has anyone else seen this? Just wondering if the site is down for maintenance or if there is an issue with my account. Thanks.

Hi, I wanted to check on something from my Yale secondary but after logging into <https://application.med.yale.edu>, I get an error saying that something is wrong with the page. Has anyone else seen this? Just wondering if the site is down for maintenance or if there is an issue with my account. Thanks.
I had a similar issue (Error 500) when I tried to log in.

Thank you for sharing your interview day! :) That was very helpful.

Does anyone happen to know if Yale does closed file interviews or open file?

Thank you for sharing your interview day! :) That was very helpful.

Does anyone happen to know if Yale does closed file interviews or open file?

Oh I guess it's open file if they can see MCAT scores!

Is anyone interviewing on 12/2 and going back to Boston? Having trouble finding a way to get back...

Is anyone interviewing on 12/2 and going back to Boston? Having trouble finding a way to get back...
Amtrak is a good option, and depending on what time of day you leave you can find tickets for $56 or so to Boston. There should also be bus options but I have never taken those to Boston.

Amtrak is a good option, and depending on what time of day you leave you can find tickets for $56 or so to Boston. There should also be bus options but I have never taken those to Boston.

+1. I also think there's a shuttle that leaves from Yale and goes directly to the Amtrak station.

Was Yale Med School doing interviews today? Anyone have any first hand accounts of what it was like (specifically Nov 25, 2013) given what was happening in New Haven (lockdown due to report of a gunman).

Was Yale Med School doing interviews today? Anyone have any first hand accounts of what it was like (specifically Nov 25, 2013) given what was happening in New Haven (lockdown due to report of a gunman).

I'm not sure about the med school, but I was talking with some of my Yale undergrad friends (after they posted mass statuses on facebook) and they told me that most undergrads have already left for Thanksgiving break (thankfully). @inycepoo, would you know?

Due to extenuating circumstances, inycepoo can't post, so I am posting this on his behalf.

"Yes, the majority of undergrads who could go home are home. I'm home right now. Mostly freshmen and those who live too far away to fly home.

YSM probably had to cancel the tours but I don't see why interviews would stop as the interviewees would've come in before the mess unfolded at 9:30ish. They were probably holed up in the office for the majority of the day, which sounds like a cool interview day to say the least haha."

I just wondered if "shelter in place" meant that an interview could have ended up lasting 6 hours.... OMG that is the stuff of nightmares.
Hm theoretically yes - Yale does start interviews as early as 9:30, right when it started