You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 New York University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
My LOR's have finally been marked as received!
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+4 woo I didn't submit until 7/22 so I was expecting a much longer delay!
Would you fully explain the MMI process at NYU? Do they often do a majority of ethical dilemmas, acting situations, general interview questions, writing prompts etc, or a mix of everything? And do the interviewers, if you are asked to answer an ethical dilemma or general interview question, engage with you and ask additional questions? Or do you just talk for 8 minutes and leave? Thanks!I applied last cycle and will be attending NYU this fall so if anyone has questions about the application process or interviews, feel free to ask! I'll have time to check often before orientation starts!
I interpreted it as your latter reason and it worked out. But I think you can interpret it either way if you have an answer to both.
Would you fully explain the MMI process at NYU? Do they often do a majority of ethical dilemmas, acting situations, general interview questions, writing prompts etc, or a mix of everything? And do the interviewers, if you are asked to answer an ethical dilemma or general interview question, engage with you and ask additional questions? Or do you just talk for 8 minutes and leave? Thanks!
We had to sign a nondisclosure agreement so I can't answer any questions regarding the interview. You could always try asking the admissions office though!
We had to sign a nondisclosure agreement so I can't answer any questions regarding the interview. You could always try asking the admissions office though!
Thanks so much for sharing your help and insight on this thread! I was just hoping you could give a brief summary of what you love about NYU and what makes it unique from other schools. Also, could you explain the Master Scholars Program in Humanistic Medicine a bit? It sounds like a great opportunity. Thanks!!!
Posted using SDN Mobile
Me too!!! 🙂MSTP II!
Oh that's right, sorry!We had to sign a nondisclosure agreement so I can't answer any questions regarding the interview. You could always try asking the admissions office though!
Thank you anyway 🙂
II today as well! MD only , complete 7/22. 3.75/37. Third of the cycle, and I'm amazed at how fortunate I've been. Congrats to everyone else!
After getting II's, I often go to threads looking for advice on student hosting (how smooth the system is, how responsive people are, etc), and I never find it. So, after setting up student hosting for my NYU interview, I thought I'd leave a brief note here for anyone else who shares my curiosity.
I received my II last monday, and emailed NYU Student Ambassadors on the same day. They got back to me today (8 days later) with the name, email, and residency address of my student host. I shot my host a quick email introducing myself, and asking for some transportation advice. My host responded very promptly with extremely helpful and detailed advice.
I guess my point is that, even though it takes 8 days for them to get back to you, NYU student hosting is very easy to work with. Good luck to everyone, and maybe I'll see some of you on interview day!
I received my II last monday, and emailed NYU Student Ambassadors on the same day. They got back to me today (8 days later) with the name, email, and residency address of my student host. I shot my host a quick email introducing myself, and asking for some transportation advice. My host responded very promptly with extremely helpful and detailed advice.
I guess my point is that, even though it takes 8 days for them to get back to you, NYU student hosting is very easy to work with. Good luck to everyone, and maybe I'll see some of you on interview day!
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today! Complete 7/16, 3.8/37
Would it be okay to send in-the-area emails to other NYC schools (even if they have yet to send out their own IIs)?
I am already coupling this with another NYC interview and would love to only make the trip to the city once this fall!
Would it be okay to send in-the-area emails to other NYC schools (even if they have yet to send out their own IIs)?
I am already coupling this with another NYC interview and would love to only make the trip to the city once this fall!
II today! Complete 7/16, 3.8/37
Would it be okay to send in-the-area emails to other NYC schools (even if they have yet to send out their own IIs)?
I am already coupling this with another NYC interview and would love to only make the trip to the city once this fall!
I'm personally planning to wait until those schools begin sending out interviews of their own before sending in the area messages. I don't know what would happen if you emailed eg cornell right now.
Thanks!I'm personally planning to wait until those schools begin sending out interviews of their own before sending in the area messages. I don't know what would happen if you emailed eg cornell right now.
II today!!! I'm so excited. Also, wolverine, where did you find out about student hosting?
II!
Last edited:
I scheduled my interview Sept. 8 but I'm not sure if there are any other dates earlier.Anyone with interviews able to say when the earliest dates available are? I have an interview in NYC in early September and want to know if its worth sending an in the area email.
Does anyone know if NYU is receptive to in the area emails? Thinking about sending them one.
I'm sending one. Worth a shot right?Does anyone know if NYU is receptive to in the area emails? Thinking about sending them one.
True, I already got the "bugged" Rejection status a few weeks ago so I'm pretty sure I'm in the "Rejected but don't tell them until January pile" so there's not much to lose 😛I'm sending one. Worth a shot right?
It's on the interview tab of the portal it gives you an email to contact.II today!!! I'm so excited. Also, wolverine, where did you find out about student hosting?
As @TheMilkMan says, there is an email address under the interview tab of the portal that you have to contact. 🙂II today!!! I'm so excited. Also, wolverine, where did you find out about student hosting?
By "in the area email" do you mean like "hey I'll be interviewing at school X in NY and it would be helpful if I got link my interview with NYU during this trip because I'm from X state and traveling is time and money intensive"Anyone with interviews able to say when the earliest dates available are? I have an interview in NYC in early September and want to know if its worth sending an in the area email.
If so, I need to do that. I have interview at NYU sept 9, but would like to interview with Albert Einstein this week as well. Are schools receptive to this the of request?
I believe all of Einstein's interviews that week are full (They were when I scheduled mine a few days ago).By "in the area email" do you mean like "hey I'll be interviewing at school X in NY and it would be helpful if I got link my interview with NYU during this trip because I'm from X state and traveling is time and money intensive"
If so, I need to do that. I have interview at NYU sept 9, but would like to interview with Albert Einstein this week as well. Are schools receptive to this the of request?
Yes I did. I have an interview at Einstein on the 8th. Scheduled a few days ago as well. Just sent an email to NYU so I can only hope...By "in the area email" do you mean like "hey I'll be interviewing at school X in NY and it would be helpful if I got link my interview with NYU during this trip because I'm from X state and traveling is time and money intensive"
If so, I need to do that. I have interview at NYU sept 9, but would like to interview with Albert Einstein this week as well. Are schools receptive to this the of request?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today! My body is ready for NYU.
Just gotta say you have one of the coolest apps I've ever seen. I have a feeling you're going to have an awesome cycle -- good luck!II today! My body is ready for NYU.
Just gotta say you have one of the coolest apps I've ever seen. I have a feeling you're going to have an awesome cycle -- good luck!
Thank you for the undeserved praise! 🙂
WOW! Congratulations everyone on your IIs! A lot of you are applying to the same schools as me, so I keep reading about your successes on various threads, and whenever I see a familiar name or picture sharing another piece of good news, i get incredibly excited!
I haven't heard back from NYU yet, but only submitted my secondary 4 days ago (Im running late whoops!) so fingers remain crossed for some good news 🙂
I haven't heard back from NYU yet, but only submitted my secondary 4 days ago (Im running late whoops!) so fingers remain crossed for some good news 🙂
II as well today. Page said I was complete 7/9 because they had one of my letters, but it's actually more like 7/29 when they got my committee letter. Hope to see some of you cool cats there!
anyone have any insight on how long it may take to have your application marked "complete" after your LOR's are recieved?
In the same boat here 🙁 helps to know im not alone feeling this wayTotally empathize with you. I keep bouncing between all three of the extra prompts... and I haven't even written the first two essays.
Secondaries are stress-inducing because (like the PS) you never quite feel like you've achieved a perfect product. I could sink a full month of heavy writing and editing into a single secondary and not feel completely satisfied. 🙁
So since NYU is MMI format, are we not asked any questions about our app?
So since NYU is MMI format, are we not asked any questions about our app?
I'm interested to know this as well.
So since NYU is MMI format, are we not asked any questions about our app?
I've had an MMI interview before and they generally don't ask about your application. However, there are so many ways a school can run a MMI (afterall MMI only specifies the structure not the content) that without insider information we won't really know.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay got an interview! Don't know why; 33 MCAT not UM. I expected to be rejected.
Same stats as me and I also got one a few weeks ago! 🙂
Posted using SDN Mobile
Don't worry, my GPA is below the 10th percentile for 4 of the 5 schools I got interviews for and my MCAT is just at the median if not lower. I have hope that it's not just about the numbers! (I also have minimum reasearch and I'm not URM) congrats and be confident in yourself!Yay got an interview! Don't know why; 33 MCAT not UM. I expected to be rejected.
Don't worry, my GPA is below the 10th percentile for 4 of the 5 schools I got interviews for and my MCAT is just at the median if not lower. I have hope that it's not just about the numbers! (I also have minimum reasearch and I'm not URM) congrats and be confident in yourself!
When did your receive your II? 🙂
When were you complete?Yay got an interview! Don't know why; 33 MCAT not UM. I expected to be rejected.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K