2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If special programs have started using a significant proportion of available seats the algorithm for acceptances will have a lot less unpredictability.

Thank you so much for replying @gyngyn but I don't think I understand what that means. Do you mean with a new algorithm they are using this year they filled their class and don't need to pull from the waitlist?

Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for replying @gyngyn but I don't think I understand what that means. Do you mean with a new algorithm they are using this year they filled their class and don't need to pull from the waitlist?

Thanks again!!
The class size is 140. If half of them are from special programs ( previously admitted), they should be able to calculate a much more exact formula for identifying those in the rest of applicant pool likely to attend. I do not know the proportion of students from special programs, but at some point they will occupy a sizeable proportion. Maybe this was the year.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on 3 waitlists and got an email this morning from Certiphi requesting a background check. Is this good news or is it standard procedure for schools to run checks on all waitlisters? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn

I appreciate you doing this. You're a boss.

Question about Rochester -- Has anyone gotten in? Anyone recently? Will anyone? What does the great eye in the sky (i.e. you) say?

It could be either.
Thanks for the response gyngyn - I called the admissions office to check my status and found out I'm accepted!! So if you're on the WL at IU, it has started to move!

Reactions: 14 users
@gyngyn Do you know if there have been any updates on Toledo's waitlist? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
UCI may still be waiting for outcomes on special programs.

I'm a bit confused on what it means UCI is waiting on special programs. Does this mean their waitlist will move more in the coming days, or is movement over? I tried to read your explanation about special programs but I'm lost haha

PS: Thanks a lot for your daily updates gyngyn!!

I'm a bit confused on what it means UCI is waiting on special programs. Does this mean their waitlist will move more in the coming days, or is movement over? I tried to read your explanation about special programs but I'm lost haha

PS: Thanks a lot for your daily updates gyngyn!!
Some of the UC's have post-bac programs that admit students pending final grades. This is about the time those decisions will be made so perhaps there will be a lag until these outcomes are known.

Some of the UC's have post-bac programs that admit students pending final grades. This is about the time those decisions will be made so perhaps there will be a lag until these outcomes are known.

You think UCLA falls in this category too?

Thanks for the information. I have not heard of this postbac program, if you could please tell us, which UCs have this program that have positions pending other than UCI?

Also, if possible to let us know, are the UCs practically at a standstill until poaching from higher ranked ivies? I've read/heard we should be hearing more until the end of June but was uncertain how to interpret the information (reject, waitlist, accept, etc.). Thanks for the information! I would just like something more solid to relay to family and friends.

Thanks for the information. I have not heard of this postbac program, if you could please tell us, which UCs have this program that have positions pending other than UCI?

Also, if possible to let us know, are the UCs practically at a standstill until poaching from higher ranked ivies? I've read/heard we should be hearing more until the end of June but was uncertain how to interpret the information (reject, waitlist, accept, etc.). Thanks for the information! I would just like something more solid to relay to family and friends.
UCI, UCSD and UCD have programs that may guarantee certain members admission pending successful completion. There are also less formal pipelines at the other UC's.
This has been a slow waitlist year in CA for sure.
It's still not over yet, though.

Reactions: 2 users
UCI, UCSD and UCD have programs that may guarantee certain members admission pending successful completion. There are also less formal pipelines at the other UC's.
This has been a slow waitlist year in CA for sure.
It's still not over yet, though.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea about this aspect of the UCs and it makes sense why they point to the end of June then.
My research mentors also tell me its not over. Thanks for the little boost of hope; it is worth relaying.

About a month ago, I would come to this thread and see a new "FIRST ACCEPTANCE" or "got in!" post every few replies or so. And it made me happy. Even though I wasn't in, my excitement lived vicariously through those individuals. And on top of that, movement for one can induce a domino effect, travelling throughout the system and possibly knocking down my still standing block.

These posts have slowed over time, seemingly coming to a stand still. Being on 2 waitlists with 0 acceptances, knowing orientation for both schools is less than a month and a half away, its ultimately the waiting and the possibility of the unknown that is digging away my morale.

I will soon re-submit my application, not in defeat, but in preparation on all fronts.

To all anxious waitlist students, those with numb fingers due to email refreshing, those who fight the urge to call the admissions office knowing exactly the answer you will receive, those who can't focus in research or clinic, those whose hands sweat at every unknown call during business hours, those trying to figure out how to pay for another round of secondaries, those who get approached by parents/professionals/friends/colleagues with the same question, only to reply with "still nothing yet...", I hope you realize there are many of us. Most suffer in silence, with the impression that no one understands the stress, each day building upon the previous. But through all the wait we can find solace.

I wanted to utlimately say, do not let this capricious process turn you into a pessimistic, jaded cynic. Learn from it. GROW from it. If it ends up working out, great! We will be right here waiting to celebrate with you. But if it doesn't, then take a look back and realize all the hard work shouldn't stop here. You did this for a reason. There are people you may need to validate with your goals, but none more important than yourself.

That being said, it's still not over.....

Reactions: 29 users
I'm waitlisted at UIC and am about to submit my AMCAS for the 2016 Cycle. @gyngyn, have you seen any movement at UIC recently? (Aside from the new interviews)

Does anyone know if it is looked down on to withdraw from waitlists, then reapply? The uncertainty of not knowing if I will be in school or not next year is getting problematic. I'm not sure if I should tell my boss to look for a replacement for me, or if I can commit to another year with my volunteer position ect. Now that I have already turned in my primary, the prospect of reapplying isn't discouraging to me, but I don't want to ruin my chances at the schools I'm waitlisted at. @gyngyn, any input from you would be especially appreciated.

Does anyone know if it is looked down on to withdraw from waitlists, then reapply? The uncertainty of not knowing if I will be in school or not next year is getting problematic. I'm not sure if I should tell my boss to look for a replacement for me, or if I can commit to another year with my volunteer position ect. Now that I have already turned in my primary, the prospect of reapplying isn't discouraging to me, but I don't want to ruin my chances at the schools I'm waitlisted at. @gyngyn, any input from you would be especially appreciated.

I think you should stay on the wait-lists. Don't worry too much about your super - although it'll inconvenience him, you aren't doing anything wrong by giving a two week notice. Volunteering again is volunteering - it's dependent on you and your time, and volunteer coordinators don't get upset if someone leaves on a short notice.

You've already invested into the past cycle with fees, interviewing, etc. that you should really stay on the waitlists.

Stay on the lists. Proceed with re-application, though (as long as you have made a significant improvement in your ap and/or strategy).

About a month ago, I would come to this thread and see a new "FIRST ACCEPTANCE" or "got in!" post every few replies or so. And it made me happy. Even though I wasn't in, my excitement lived vicariously through those individuals. And on top of that, movement for one can induce a domino effect, travelling throughout the system and possibly knocking down my still standing block.

These posts have slowed over time, seemingly coming to a stand still. Being on 2 waitlists with 0 acceptances, knowing orientation for both schools is less than a month and a half away, its ultimately the waiting and the possibility of the unknown that is digging away my morale.

I will soon re-submit my application, not in defeat, but in preparation on all fronts.

To all anxious waitlist students, those with numb fingers due to email refreshing, those who fight the urge to call the admissions office knowing exactly the answer you will receive, those who can't focus in research or clinic, those whose hands sweat at every unknown call during business hours, those trying to figure out how to pay for another round of secondaries, those who get approached by parents/professionals/friends/colleagues with the same question, only to reply with "still nothing yet...", I hope you realize there are many of us. Most suffer in silence, with the impression that no one understands the stress, each day building upon the previous. But through all the wait we can find solace.

I wanted to utlimately say, do not let this capricious process turn you into a pessimistic, jaded cynic. Learn from it. GROW from it. If it ends up working out, great! We will be right here waiting to celebrate with you. But if it doesn't, then take a look back and realize all the hard work shouldn't stop here. You did this for a reason. There are people you may need to validate with your goals, but none more important than yourself.

That being said, it's still not over.....

This.

Reactions: 1 users
Stay on the lists. Proceed with re-application, though (as long as you have made a significant improvement in your ap and/or strategy).

Thanks for the input! I will listen to you guys and work on curbing my anxiety over the uncertainty.

I'm hoping some serious work on my interviewing skills, better written (but similar content) essays, and a more thoughtfully chosen list of schools will be enough. I received 7 interviews last cycle, so I think my primary was pretty solid. I have an extra year at my current research job and my other two volunteering positions, but no completely new experiences. I was convinced I'd be starting this fall so I didn't begin anything new.

Thanks for the input! I will listen to you guys and work on curbing my anxiety over the uncertainty.

I'm hoping some serious work on my interviewing skills, better written (but similar content) essays, and a more thoughtfully chosen list of schools will be enough. I received 7 interviews last cycle, so I think my primary was pretty solid. I have an extra year at my current research job and my other two volunteering positions, but no completely new experiences. I was convinced I'd be starting this fall so I didn't begin anything new.
Time for some mock interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
@gyngyn I remember you mentioning at least more than once that there has been movement at BU. Was there a significant amount or could you still expect a lot more movement to occur?

Gyngyn from your experience, please advice who may be a good mock interviewer/s, I know universities provide general mock interviews for all student body in their career center. Nonetheless, is there a particular place that conducts medical school mock interviews? Thanks for your response =)

@gyngyn I remember you mentioning at least more than once that there has been movement at BU. Was there a significant amount or could you still expect a lot more movement to occur?
I haven't seen any in weeks, I'm afraid.
Once a school starts waitlist movement it can be expected to continue until orientation, though.
It has been really slow almost everywhere this year.
There is at least one school that significantly under-accepted.
It's possible, depending on their late admits, that some movement may be stirred up in the next month.

Gyngyn from your experience, please advice who may be a good mock interviewer/s, I know universities provide general mock interviews for all student body in their career center. Nonetheless, is there a particular place that conducts medical school mock interviews? Thanks for your response =)
Cranky old physicians make good mock interviewers, if you can find one with academic experience, so much the better.

Cranky old physicians make good mock interviewers, if you can find one with academic experience, so much the better.
I can think of a couple of cranky old.... Thanks for your advice!

@gyngyn Can you see how many class openings remain at each med school you monitor? Or is it only movement/offers being extended that you can see? Thank you. ( I hope you haven't been asked this same question a 1000 times before).

@gyngyn Can you see how many class openings remain at each med school you monitor? Or is it only movement/offers being extended that you can see? Thank you. ( I hope you haven't been asked this same question a 1000 times before).
I can only see when someone we interviewed has been accepted.
I don't monitor schools, rather the offers made to members of the class and waitlist.
This is one of the ways the waitlist changes over time.

Wash U is still moving, btw...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @gyngyn I was just moved from a waitlist to an alternate list. Do you know what this distinction means? Thank you again!

I can only see when someone we interviewed has been accepted.
I don't monitor schools, rather the offers made to members of the class and waitlist.
This is one of the ways the waitlist changes over time.

"Monitor" was a bad word choice on my part. I simply didn't want to use "see" in 2 sequential sentences in my previous post.

I appreciate your clarification about what you see and what you don't.

Last edited:

Definitely.

Is there any sort of general trend for if a school interviews you and then waitlists you, and you reapply, are they less/more likely to interview you again?

Definitely.

Is there any sort of general trend for if a school interviews you and then waitlists you, and you reapply, are they less/more likely to interview you again?
If it was the interview, less.
Some schools are so disorganized that they don't keep good records, though.

If it was the interview, less.
Some schools are so disorganized that they don't keep good records, though.

@Kay293T

In addition, some schools explicitly state that they do not consider last year's file when reviewing your application.

-Bill

@gyngyn , do you happen to know if there's a difference between alternate list and waitlist at UCSF? Or do they only have one list that they pull from? Thank you!!