2015-2016 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

First Post! Goodluck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students who can speak about their experiences here? I've heard mixed sentiments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Throwing my App into the mix. Fingers crossed

Last edited:
Loved FIU when I interviewed here last cycle. Submitting another app!

Still on the wait list, but throwing my file back into the ring (just in case).

I loved the school on interview day, and I appreciate how genuinely passionate the staff and faculty are about the altruistic message. I've spoken with several MS-3's and they could not be happier with where they are (which in the context of the conversation--allowing them to be completely candid--is saying something). The 2015 Step I average is a 244, and their match lists are impressive. If they maintain their trajectory, they will be a program to be reckoned with in the near future.

Good luck to everyone!

P.S. If anyone is interested in knowing a bit more about the school, I posted a YouTube video on last year's application thread, outlining my post-interview impressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Our class of 2015 had an average Step 1 of 244 as of 75% reported scoring. The final 25% are coming in now. I doubt the score will change drastically, as last year's average was 237. FIU has consistently been among the highest-if not the highest-board scores in Florida (yes, even UM/UF), and this year may be one of the highest in the nation. I've encountered people saying FIU has less competitive students, but anyone actually paying attention knows that's nonsense. Regarding match list, I'd recommend not analyzing too much, as we tend to have people with strong ties to the community who rank "lower" programs above even top 20 programs because of this. This doesn't happen much elsewhere and you should be aware. Either way, we have had great matches. Good luck to all applicants!

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary received as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else having difficulty moving past the page where you have to input prereq classes? The system thinks a B+ is lower than a B. It's not giving me an option to "explain the grade" or move on to the next page.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I tried to enter an explanation and it still did not let me continue. :( Also, it says explain any grade below a B. Does that include a B? That might be a dumb question but I'm confused because it did not let me move on. I had two Bs and a B+ that it said I needed to explain. I want to email them but they are probably swamped.

I was having this same problem and decided to check SDN before I emailed them. Glad I'm not the only one doing this right now. :claps:

Yup, same problem. Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

I would hate to add to the list of emails/calls they are receiving will the ones who already reached out to FIU about this problem keep us posted?

This glitch has ruined my evening. Anyone know if the secondaries changed from last year since I cant get to them?

Hey, does anyone understand exactly what the "graduate/professional letter" option means for the letters of recommendation page? If it comes from a supervisor, would it fall under this category or be "other"?

Hey guys, submitted the secondary!
This is what I did for the grade issue:
First type the letter grade in the appropriate section, and a comment box asking you to explain will pop up. Type your explanation, and then import the class section from AMCAS.
Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
First type the letter grade in the appropriate section, and a comment box asking you to explain will pop up. Type your explanation, and then import the class section from AMCAS.
Good luck everyone!
Thanks!

I just manually typed in the AP classes.

Hi, so glad I'm not the only one worrying about this. So for the plus/minus grades, how did you guys tell them the grade?

As for AP credit, when I initially imported from AMCAS it wrote G... so how did you manually type it, so the system would accept it? Did you just put A? Not sure about that...

Hi, so glad I'm not the only one worrying about this. So for the plus/minus grades, how did you guys tell them the grade?

As for AP credit, when I initially imported from AMCAS it wrote G... so how did you manually type it, so the system would accept it? Did you just put A? Not sure about that...
I didn't put a grade nor number of credit hours and it worked. It allowed me to advance.

So you only selected "AP/IB" from the drop down, without doing the AMCAS lookup?

Good luck everyone!
This worked when I put in a B+, but there still is a glitch for B's :(

Edit: I seemed to figure it out. did you just put a period in the explanation box. it wants me to explain my B+ in order to move on

This worked when I put in a B+, but there still is a glitch for B's :(

Edit: I seemed to figure it out. did you just put a period in the explanation box. it wants me to explain my B+ in order to move on

I just wrote in the box that I received a B+, not a grade lower than a B. I'm sure they won't mind either way though

Exactly how much in detail should you go with the "activities for application year" question? I know its only 600 characters but I honestly dont know what to write. Maybe I am just freaking out but can somebody help me?

Anyone still having problems? Putting my grade in first worked for all but ONE class that I have a B+ in. For some reason I never get the box

Could anyone post the prompts for this secondary by any chance? Just so those that have applied but are in the process of being verified can get a head start? Thanks!

Anyone still having problems? Putting my grade in first worked for all but ONE class that I have a B+ in. For some reason I never get the box
Im having the same problem. Gonna call them to figure it out today.

I had the same exact problem, but I put the grade in a different row and it worked... try a different row?

Can someone who has successfully made it past the pre-req page (I am struggling to do so) please post the essays?

Hey guys, were the secondary essay questions the same as last year? Thanks!

Can someone who has successfully made it past the pre-req page (I am struggling to do so) please post the essays?

Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, please describe how your personal characteristics and values make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will you contribute to the student body?

Describe how you have handled a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you face possible challenges in medical school.

Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.

While scrolling through a popular social media site, you notice an unprofessional posting by a classmate about a faculty member. You are concerned about the posting, but realize many of your peers have agreed with the negative comment. What do you do?

Thanks! The one question I didn't already pre-write got changed :).

So my grade issue is fixed, but anyone having a problem submitting the actual application? It terminates every time I click process payment...

This may be an extremely stupid question but is a B- lower than a B? Or are they looking for C's? I dont want to come off as neurotic and write a paragraph about getting a B- if thats what they werent looking for :(