-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Florida International University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Any current students who can speak about their experiences here? I've heard mixed sentiments.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
App submitted...cheers.
Still on the wait list, but throwing my file back into the ring (just in case).
I loved the school on interview day, and I appreciate how genuinely passionate the staff and faculty are about the altruistic message. I've spoken with several MS-3's and they could not be happier with where they are (which in the context of the conversation--allowing them to be completely candid--is saying something). The 2015 Step I average is a 244, and their match lists are impressive. If they maintain their trajectory, they will be a program to be reckoned with in the near future.
Good luck to everyone!
P.S. If anyone is interested in knowing a bit more about the school, I posted a YouTube video on last year's application thread, outlining my post-interview impressions.
I loved the school on interview day, and I appreciate how genuinely passionate the staff and faculty are about the altruistic message. I've spoken with several MS-3's and they could not be happier with where they are (which in the context of the conversation--allowing them to be completely candid--is saying something). The 2015 Step I average is a 244, and their match lists are impressive. If they maintain their trajectory, they will be a program to be reckoned with in the near future.
Good luck to everyone!
P.S. If anyone is interested in knowing a bit more about the school, I posted a YouTube video on last year's application thread, outlining my post-interview impressions.
Last edited:
Our class of 2015 had an average Step 1 of 244 as of 75% reported scoring. The final 25% are coming in now. I doubt the score will change drastically, as last year's average was 237. FIU has consistently been among the highest-if not the highest-board scores in Florida (yes, even UM/UF), and this year may be one of the highest in the nation. I've encountered people saying FIU has less competitive students, but anyone actually paying attention knows that's nonsense. Regarding match list, I'd recommend not analyzing too much, as we tend to have people with strong ties to the community who rank "lower" programs above even top 20 programs because of this. This doesn't happen much elsewhere and you should be aware. Either way, we have had great matches. Good luck to all applicants!
Secondary received!
.
Last edited:
Anyone else having difficulty moving past the page where you have to input prereq classes? The system thinks a B+ is lower than a B. It's not giving me an option to "explain the grade" or move on to the next page.
Same, no clue where to enter the explanation...
Ditto
Same here I sent them an email
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tried to enter an explanation and it still did not let me continue. 🙁 Also, it says explain any grade below a B. Does that include a B? That might be a dumb question but I'm confused because it did not let me move on. I had two Bs and a B+ that it said I needed to explain. I want to email them but they are probably swamped.
Got my secondary as well! 🙂
Hey guys, submitted the secondary!
This is what I did for the grade issue:
First type the letter grade in the appropriate section, and a comment box asking you to explain will pop up. Type your explanation, and then import the class section from AMCAS.
Good luck everyone!
This is what I did for the grade issue:
First type the letter grade in the appropriate section, and a comment box asking you to explain will pop up. Type your explanation, and then import the class section from AMCAS.
Good luck everyone!
Thanks!Hey guys, submitted the secondary!
This is what I did for the grade issue:
First type the letter grade in the appropriate section, and a comment box asking you to explain will pop up. Type your explanation, and then import the class section from AMCAS.
Good luck everyone!
.
Last edited:
I just manually typed in the AP classes.Thanks! Anyone know what to do for AP credits? It still comes up and says I need to explain why I got lower than a B...
I just manually typed in the AP classes.
Hi, so glad I'm not the only one worrying about this. So for the plus/minus grades, how did you guys tell them the grade?
As for AP credit, when I initially imported from AMCAS it wrote G... so how did you manually type it, so the system would accept it? Did you just put A? Not sure about that...
I didn't put a grade nor number of credit hours and it worked. It allowed me to advance.Hi, so glad I'm not the only one worrying about this. So for the plus/minus grades, how did you guys tell them the grade?
As for AP credit, when I initially imported from AMCAS it wrote G... so how did you manually type it, so the system would accept it? Did you just put A? Not sure about that...
So you only selected "AP/IB" from the drop down, without doing the AMCAS lookup?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This worked when I put in a B+, but there still is a glitch for B's 🙁Hey guys, submitted the secondary!
This is what I did for the grade issue:
First type the letter grade in the appropriate section, and a comment box asking you to explain will pop up. Type your explanation, and then import the class section from AMCAS.
Good luck everyone!
Edit: I seemed to figure it out. did you just put a period in the explanation box. it wants me to explain my B+ in order to move on
yeahSo you only selected "AP/IB" from the drop down, without doing the AMCAS lookup?
This worked when I put in a B+, but there still is a glitch for B's 🙁
Edit: I seemed to figure it out. did you just put a period in the explanation box. it wants me to explain my B+ in order to move on
I just wrote in the box that I received a B+, not a grade lower than a B. I'm sure they won't mind either way though
Exactly how much in detail should you go with the "activities for application year" question? I know its only 600 characters but I honestly dont know what to write. Maybe I am just freaking out but can somebody help me?
Im having the same problem. Gonna call them to figure it out today.Anyone still having problems? Putting my grade in first worked for all but ONE class that I have a B+ in. For some reason I never get the box
Im having the same problem. Gonna call them to figure it out today.
I emailed them. They said they're working on it and that it should be ok by tonight.
Anyone still having problems? Putting my grade in first worked for all but ONE class that I have a B+ in. For some reason I never get the box
I had the same exact problem, but I put the grade in a different row and it worked... try a different row?
I had the same exact problem, but I put the grade in a different row and it worked... try a different row?
Absolute genius...
Can someone who has successfully made it past the pre-req page (I am struggling to do so) please post the essays?
Hey guys, were the secondary essay questions the same as last year? Thanks!
Can someone who has successfully made it past the pre-req page (I am struggling to do so) please post the essays?
Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, please describe how your personal characteristics and values make you a suitable candidate for medicine. How will you contribute to the student body?
Describe how you have handled a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you face possible challenges in medical school.
Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
While scrolling through a popular social media site, you notice an unprofessional posting by a classmate about a faculty member. You are concerned about the posting, but realize many of your peers have agreed with the negative comment. What do you do?
Thanks! The one question I didn't already pre-write got changed 🙂.
1200 character limit?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes1200 character limit?
+1 :'(So my grade issue is fixed, but anyone having a problem submitting the actual application? It terminates every time I click process payment...
This may be an extremely stupid question but is a B- lower than a B? Or are they looking for C's? I dont want to come off as neurotic and write a paragraph about getting a B- if thats what they werent looking for 🙁
This may be an extremely stupid question but is a B- lower than a B? Or are they looking for C's? I dont want to come off as neurotic and write a paragraph about getting a B- if thats what they werent looking for 🙁
I assume that they would have written B- if they only wanted applicants to write about C's or less so I would give an explanation.

