2015-2016 Universidad Central del Caribe Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Are the interviews here in Spanish? Or English?

Are the interviews here in Spanish? Or English?
If you are from the mainland, the interview is in English, but be prepared to answer some questions in Spanish as well

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do applicants need to be fluent or just conversant?

Do applicants need to be fluent or just conversant?
I would say fluent. I do my research there and at least 75% of interactions will be in spanish. Specially with patients.

They have not yet started reviewing applications. They usually start in January but I've heard they might start in December this cycle.
Thank you so much for the info. Have you also applied to SJB? Do you know if they started interviews yet? You have also mentioned that Ponce has started. I will call them on Monday to find out about my app.

Thank you so much for the info. Have you also applied to SJB? Do you know if they started interviews yet? You have also mentioned that Ponce has started. I will call them on Monday to find out about my app.
Yes, I did! They sent me a 'complete' email with an application timeline attached. They will start interviewing on November and sending out decisions in January.

Yes, I did! They sent me a 'complete' email with an application timeline attached. They will start interviewing on November and sending out decisions in January.
Thank you! I will be lucky and happy to attend any of those 3 schools

Does anyone know how long does it usually take to receive an email soliciting other documents once your amcas app has been processed? I've applied to SJB, Ponce, and UCC.

Does anyone know how long does it usually take to receive an email soliciting other documents once your amcas app has been processed? I've applied to SJB, Ponce, and UCC.
I don't recall if I got an email but I just sent them over since day one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received emails about my AMCAS app and other required materials but nothing about interviews :(

So, no one has been invited for an interview yet? I'm OOS, my application was complete a few months ago.

So, no one has been invited for an interview yet? I'm OOS, my application was complete a few months ago.

I don't think so. I went a couple of weeks ago and they told me that they start on January

I had one of the first interviews last year and it was on the first week of February! I got the email about a week and a half before with a list of dates and times to choose from.
I currently attend UCC, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
I had one of the first interviews last year and it was on the first week of February! I got the email about a week and a half before with a list of dates and times to choose from.
I currently attend UCC, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Oh, okay! Thanks for letting me know. I'm impatiently waiting to hear from them. Hopefully, I get an interview soon. Are you an in state applicant or out of state?

Oh, okay! Thanks for letting me know. I'm impatiently waiting to hear from them. Hopefully, I get an interview soon. Are you an in state applicant or out of state?

Haha, I understand. I felt the same way.. but the whole process comes and goes by very quickly.. So don't worry :p
I'm in state.

@jordan92

Preface: I have no ties to PR (TX resident) and have only basic knowledge of Spanish (took 3 years of the language in high school).

This might be a question that I should ask the admissions people at these schools directly, but SDNers might know the answer!

I'm currently enrolled in Spanish I for the upcoming spring semester at a community college to satisfy the requirements of the PR schools that take OOS students . I understand that I'll need to take more than one semester of Spanish in order to be fluent, and I know that most of these schools need more than 3 credit hours, but my question is, would this school accept a student on the basis of "good faith," in that the student would continue to learn Spanish throughout medical school?

For instance, UCC require students to have at least 6 credits of Spanish on their transcript - after the application cycle would have started in 2016, I'd have 4, with the intent to sign up for Spanish II (either in the summer or fall semester); would UCC even consider me?

If somehow granted an interview after meeting prereqs / criteria, I'm obviously in no position to have an entire interview conducted in Spanish (unlike most of you!), but I wouldn't be averse to continue with learning Spanish either. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the time and effort into taking Spanish, because I have no idea about school policies. (Not that there aren't any merits in taking Spanish - but the sole reason for me taking it is to get into a PR school!)

Also, does anyone have ratios on IS:OOS students that UCC takes? I couldn't find any data on their website.

Last edited:
II By email!

Reactions: 4 users
@jordan92

Preface: I have no ties to PR (TX resident) and have only basic knowledge of Spanish (took 3 years of the language in high school).

This might be a question that I should ask the admissions people at these schools directly, but SDNers might know the answer!

I'm currently enrolled in Spanish I for the upcoming spring semester at a community college to satisfy the requirements of the PR schools that take OOS students . I understand that I'll need to take more than one semester of Spanish in order to be fluent, and I know that most of these schools need more than 3 credit hours, but my question is, would this school accept a student on the basis of "good faith," in that the student would continue to learn Spanish throughout medical school?

For instance, UCC require students to have at least 6 credits of Spanish on their transcript - after the application cycle would have started in 2016, I'd have 4, with the intent to sign up for Spanish II (either in the summer or fall semester); would UCC even consider me?

If somehow granted an interview after meeting prereqs / criteria, I'm obviously in no position to have an entire interview conducted in Spanish (unlike most of you!), but I wouldn't be averse to continue with learning Spanish either. I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the time and effort into taking Spanish, because I have no idea about school policies. (Not that there aren't any merits in taking Spanish - but the sole reason for me taking it is to get into a PR school!)

Also, does anyone have ratios on IS:OOS students that UCC takes? I couldn't find any data on their website.

I think you need to have those 6 credits of spanish or an institution's official documentation stating that you're enrolled in a class over the summer and will therefore meet the required amt of credits by the time you start school. I believe the policies in all the schools in PR are the same, but they really mean no harm. Many classes are taught in spanish, and if you don't know the language or feel comfortable with it, you won't get as much out of them as you could. Regarding the interview, I think they let you choose whether you want to do it in english or spanish.

for anyone that has already interviewed here, what is the day like? (structure wise). i'll be interviewing on the 19th!

I'll also be interviewing on the 19th. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Smooth process, a bit difficult to find the interview place if you are not from the area or never been to the school, however, 4 students gather at a meeting room for about 10-15min, then Irma Cordero, admissions coordinator, comes and talks about the school and plays a short intro video. After, you go through the process of MMI where the first one is a group discussion and then 4 stations in a random selection. The rest of the stations consisted in an individual interview, an ethical case, a mental processing test, and a legal case. Finally, a fourth year medical student walked us throughout the school. Whole process takes ~2hrs.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who has interviewed received a letter/email with the final decision? I interviewed on the 1st of February.

Has anyone who has interviewed received a letter/email with the final decision? I interviewed on the 1st of February.
I called earlier in the week and they told me that desicions have been made and letters would be sent out by the end of this week or early in the next one. Also, we will receive an email letting us know when the letter was sent.

I called earlier in the week and they told me that desicions have been made and letters would be sent out by the end of this week or early in the next one. Also, we will receive an email letting us know when the letter was sent.
Thanks XD

Anyone que haya recibido su final decision?
Not me... pero cuando fui me dijeron que esperara respuesta en tres semanas, sino que llamara a preguntar.

Anyone que haya recibido su final decision?
I received the letter yesterday and was accepted. However, I'll be attending UPR-MSC as I was also accepted last week!

Reactions: 2 users
I received the letter yesterday and was accepted. However, I'll be attending UPR-MSC as I was also accepted last week!

CONGRATS! You're on fire!! lol

Quick question: Did you get an email notification beforehand?

CONGRATS! You're on fire!! lol

Quick question: Did you get an email notification beforehand?
Thanks !! I received the email on the 25th of February and it arrived yesterday. Te llegará pronto! Éxito!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Hi guys, any other recommendation for interview prep?

Someone said the interviews are in English for OOS people - can someone confirm this?

Someone said the interviews are in English for OOS people - can someone confirm this?

Yes, they're super accomodating for OOS people and don't seem to mind too much if you respond in English. Hope this helps

Hasn't anyone who interviewed on Feb 12 received any response yet? Do they sent an email notification for everyone, even those who have not been accepted? This wait is making me feel like I'm gonna be silently rejected...

Hasn't anyone who interviewed on Feb 12 received any response yet? Do they sent an email notification for everyone, even those who have not been accepted? This wait is making me feel like I'm gonna be silently rejected...

I interviewed on Feb. 19th and I haven't received anything either.

same, and it was supposed to be 3 weeks right?
I interveiwed in febuary 8th and they told me I would hear back in a week XD. They did send a few decisions out in febuary but I think that's about it.