2022-2023 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/27 and received the A yesterday! I am super excited and just wanted to say good luck everyone, don't give up hope!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
any more A's? i think the committee might meet today based on past threads, maybe we could expect something tom for feb interviews?!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if CMU will offer any more interview invites? Their website says interviews will span into March so I'm curious.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I skimmed this thread and basically it looks like if you hear a decision around when everybody else hears, you're good, but if not it's a waitlist/R, and some people had October interviews and haven't gotten a decision yet. Is that correct? I interviewed 2/17 and would like to commit to a school by the end of this month, so I can get financial aid and housing figured out. Would it be safe to say that if I don't hear back when the other 2/17 people hear, that it's bad news?

So I skimmed this thread and basically it looks like if you hear a decision around when everybody else hears, you're good, but if not it's a waitlist/R, and some people had October interviews and haven't gotten a decision yet. Is that correct? I interviewed 2/17 and would like to commit to a school by the end of this month, so I can get financial aid and housing figured out. Would it be safe to say that if I don't hear back when the other 2/17 people hear, that it's bad news?
its kind of what i have seen from this thread. if its more than 6 weeks out most likeley waitlist or R,but I did see some WL get an A as well.

Well, still no interview invite. I assume this is a soft rejection as it says they only do interviews until march. Time to kick the chair

Well, still no interview invite. I assume this is a soft rejection as it says they only do interviews until march. Time to kick the chair
Do you know if they host interviews up until March or throughout March. On their website it says interviews are " August - March" but it doesn't specify if it ends March 1st or 31st. I'm still holding on to last hope for invite.

Please advise me if you know.

Thanks

Do you know if they host interviews up until March or throughout March. On their website it says interviews are " August - March" but it doesn't specify if it ends March 1st or 31st. I'm still holding on to last hope for invite.

Please advise me if you know.

Thanks
I interviewed 2/17 and they said they had one day left after ours

Hi friends!
Today was the last interview day (3/1) we were told. Good luck to everyone!

Hi friends!
Today was the last interview day (3/1) we were told. Good luck to everyone!
Hey, I called them this afternoon and they said next Friday is the last interview day. Based on the previous year's thread, they interview up to the second week of March. Did you mean the last day to schedule an interview?

Hey, I called them this afternoon and they said next Friday is the last interview day. Based on the previous year's thread, they interview up to the second week of March. Did you mean the last day to schedule an interview?

Hi! Well I just had my interview today and the host from the admissions team told us today was the last day of interviews and the “internal team is v happy” lol and that decisions will go out sometime between mid march - april. Also, when scheduling, today was the only option I could see - I assume I’d have been able to see next week as an option if that was the case, but based on what they told us today I’m not sure why the info is conflicting :/

Hi! Well I just had my interview today and the host from the admissions team told us today was the last day of interviews and the “internal team is v happy” lol and that decisions will go out sometime between mid march - april. Also, when scheduling, today was the only option I could see - I assume I’d have been able to see next week as an option if that was the case, but based on what they told us today I’m not sure why the info is conflicting :/
Ah okay, I see, all the best to you!

Hi everyone, this cycle I didn't get a single interview invite so I'm going to take a gap year. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to improve my application. I'm a Canadian applicant (rural background) with 3.8 gpa, 511 MCAT, 500+ hour hospital volunteering, 100+ hour student organization, no original research, 1000+ hour employment, 50 hour of shadowing. I'm going to rewrite my MCAT and hopefully get 515+. Besides MCAT, what else should I do to stand out.

Please advise, thank you!

Shemmassian is a great resource for many parts of the application process. I'll leave this here in case you haven't read it already -- Canadian-Friendly American Medical Schools: How To Get In — Shemmassian Academic Consulting

And tbh we are in fairly similar boats except that your activities are much stronger than mine (and that I'm American). From my perspective, it does not seem like there is much you could do in one gap year that could significantly strengthen your application. Perhaps it's your writing (personal statement/activities/secondaries) and what your motivations for applying to US medical schools that could benefit you most.

Don't try to stand out... just be yourself! Wishing you luck

Shemmassian is a great resource for many parts of the application process. I'll leave this here in case you haven't read it already -- Canadian-Friendly American Medical Schools: How To Get In — Shemmassian Academic Consulting

And tbh we are in fairly similar boats except that your activities are much stronger than mine (and that I'm American). From my perspective, it does not seem like there is much you could do in one gap year that could significantly strengthen your application. Perhaps it's your writing (personal statement/activities/secondaries) and what your motivations for applying to US medical schools that could benefit you most.

Don't try to stand out... just be yourself! Wishing you luck
Hello, thank you for your advice!

I will definitely take more time writing my applications this year and submit it early. I submitted secondaries in September because I didn't know that America uses rolling admissions.

Do you think getting research experience will help my application?

Best of luck to you as well! 👍

Hello, thank you for your advice!

I will definitely take more time writing my applications this year and submit it early. I submitted secondaries in September because I didn't know that America uses rolling admissions.

Do you think getting research experience will help my application?

Best of luck to you as well! 👍
Hi! Not Canadian but wanted to chime in.

First thing, I think submitting in September really limited your ability to get an interview invite. Take that from somebody who submitted around that time during my first cycle and only got one interview. I submitted much earlier this year and have gotten multiple IIs. Definitely submit earlier next time!

Second, with regards to research, only do it if it’s something you’re genuinely interested in. Maybe you can find research related to your personal background or what you want to do with medicine. But if your heart’s not in it or you’re not interested in doing research in medical school and beyond, don’t do it. It will come across as “box-checking”.

Lastly, I wish you the best of luck with your next application cycle. Apply when you feel truly ready and prepared. You got this!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Not Canadian but wanted to chime in.

First thing, I think submitting in September really limited your ability to get an interview invite. Take that from somebody who submitted around that time during my first cycle and only got one interview. I submitted much earlier this year and have gotten multiple IIs. Definitely submit earlier next time!

Second, with regards to research, only do it if it’s something you’re genuinely interested in. Maybe you can find research related to your personal background or what you want to do with medicine. But if your heart’s not in it or you’re not interested in doing research in medical school and beyond, don’t do it. It will come across as “box-checking”.

Lastly, I wish you the best of luck with your next application cycle. Apply when you feel truly ready and prepared. You got this!
Thank you, I needed this encouragement!

Hopefully submitting it earlier will give me more luck next cycle !!!

Hi everyone, this cycle I didn't get a single interview invite so I'm going to take a gap year. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to improve my application. I'm a Canadian applicant (rural background) with 3.8 gpa, 511 MCAT, 500+ hour hospital volunteering, 100+ hour student organization, no original research, 1000+ hour employment, 50 hour of shadowing. I'm going to rewrite my MCAT and hopefully get 515+. Besides MCAT, what else should I do to stand out.

Please advise, thank you!
If you're from a rural background, wouldn't applying to Canada be beneficial to you since UBC, UAlberta, Calgary, McGill, and Toronto have separate application streams for them?

I applied to States and Canada this cycle and even though we Canadians think it's easy to get an II in the States, it's significantly harder unless you have really high stats or you're URM.

I agree with the peeps above you definitely need to apply earlier in the cycle. You could also do a course-based master's? I am interviewing at UBC, Queen's, Alberta and Calgary this cycle in addition to some US schools so let me know what u need.

Oh interesting, I wasn't aware UBC, Alberta, etc have streams dedicated for out of province rural students. I thought rural stream was reserved to in-province students. I didn't apply to as many schools as I should've. I will definitely apply to more Canadian and American schools next cycle.

Is applying to Calgary similar to Ontario medical schools in terms of autobiographical sketch and timeline wise?

Oh interesting, I wasn't aware UBC, Alberta, etc have streams dedicated for out of province rural students. I thought rural stream was reserved to in-province students. I didn't apply to as many schools as I should've. I will definitely apply to more Canadian and American schools next cycle.

Is applying to Calgary similar to Ontario medical schools in terms of autobiographical sketch and timeline wise?
I think in general as long as you have rural background you're considered in a separate stream for all those schools. Calgary and Ontario apps are due around beginning of October.

Does anyone know when the second look day is? It just says April on the website.

Hi everyone! Pre-II R :( Submitted and was complete July 24th, 2022. Secondary received 07/08th. CASPer 4th Quartile. Application update sent Oct 25 2022 - had some important additions.

Canadian student from Toronto , 3.98 GPA, 515 MCAT, Strong ECs (in terms of employment and volunteering in my opinion but: three hospices over the past 4 years in Ontario, >60 hours shadowing (Emergency medicine mostly, Surgeries in OR), working over a year in a hospital inpatient surgery as a PA, PT during undergrad). Rock climbing as a hobby for a while, competitive soccer player, spent a good amount of time on my essays/descriptions focusing on Dr. Grays suggestions (I thought).

As a Canadian rn my American schools cycle is going: 15/16 Pre II Rs, one soft R. Got some love from Ontario schools (2 IIs!) so maybe I am just not meant to go to the US for an MD. That's it for me for American schools this cycle.

No research though which may have done it but oh well. Congrats to all the candidates who received interviews, acceptances and my fellow Rs out there! Good luck to you all!

Pre-II R as well. Rest in peace, my friends.

Pre-II R. As a Canadian i wonder if any Canadian applicants on here actually got an II this cycle for CMU??

Pre-II R. As a Canadian i wonder if any Canadian applicants on here actually got an II this cycle for CMU??

Hi! Fellow Canadian applicant here, was given the opportunity to interview on their last day - was the only canadian applicant on the panel of interviewees lol