2022-2023 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Rebel_Phoenix for sharing the questions!

2022-2023 Central Michigan Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Describe your motivation for applying to the CMU College of Medicine and your future career in medicine. Finally, describe how your preparation and background will contribute to the mission of the CMU College of Medicine.

2. [REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box.

Both 1000 word count max

3. For Residents: Please provide a brief summary of your affiliation with any County selected (listed above): 250 words max

The biographic section also asks different biographic questions with 400 characters to answer for each one you select “yes.”

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received! OOS, primary submitted Jun 30th.

Describe your motivation for applying to the CMU College of Medicine and your future career in medicine. Finally, describe how your preparation and background will contribute to the mission of the CMU College of Medicine.

[REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box.
Both 1000 word count max

For Residents: Please provide a brief summary of your affiliation with any County selected (listed above): 250 words max @wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The biographic section also ask different biographic questions with 400 characters to answer for each one you select “yes.”

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The "please describe your affiliation with any county" just feels like a giant laundry list "i lived here for these years and here for those blah blah blah"

OOS, secondary received 7/5. Submitted 6/6 and processed 7/5.

If I did not write a disadvantaged essay on the primary app is it bad to say I am economically disadvantaged on the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they screen pre-secondary?

IS verified 7/17, all other Michigan secondaries came 7/18 and nothing from Central.

Are there any current students that would be willing to answer a few questions? I'm writing my secondaries and just want to make sure I really understand the school's values/curriculum!

I was wondering the same thing. I am aiming for at least 600 words but not sure if that's a good approach...
Do not feel that you have to force 1000 words. Being around half or less is fine as that will provide an ample answer to the question.

Since I applied last year and graduated from undergrad last year, is it okay if my reapp and post-graduation essays are very similar?

Since I applied last year and graduated from undergrad last year, is it okay if my reapp and post-graduation essays are very similar?

You may want to ask yourself why you didn’t get an interview last year. If your essays didn’t work last year then how likely is it that it will work this time?

Of course, it your plans after graduation are the same there isn’t much different you can say, but improving/strengthening the way you write about it can’t hurt.

You may want to ask yourself why you didn’t get an interview last year. If your essays didn’t work last year then how likely is it that it will work this time?

Of course, it your plans after graduation are the same there isn’t much different you can say, but improving/strengthening the way you write about it can’t hurt.
Oh sorry, I meant that in this application my essays for "what have you done since graduation?" and "what have done since your last application" have essentially have the same answer, I've changed my essays from last year to this year. Appreciate the help though!

Oh sorry, I meant that in this application my essays for "what have you done since graduation?" and "what have done since your last application" have essentially have the same answer, I've changed my essays from last year to this year. Appreciate the help though!

Ah I see, my mistake! I think that seems okay then :)

For their secondary, did you incorporate stories? Mine sound so boring and I did add in some stories but not sure how to make my responses more "interesting."

II received, IS complete 7/10 LM 72

Any OOS II?

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone clarify what this part of Q1 of the secondary is asking: "Describe your motivation for applying to the CMU College of Medicine and your future career in medicine". Do they want to know why we are interested in CMED and why we want to pursue medicine...?

Can someone clarify what this part of Q1 of the secondary is asking: "Describe your motivation for applying to the CMU College of Medicine and your future career in medicine". Do they want to know why we are interested in CMED and why we want to pursue medicine...?
I believe, I mean in my perspective, it is to connect your motivation applying to CMU and how what they offer relates to your future career in medicine (just becoming a good physician, explain how that curriculum part interests you). How will CMU support your unique medical journey? I discussed three things that peaked my interest about their curriculum/school, each with a paragraph and life experiences pertaining to that part (eg. I work as a PA and do work with nurses, physicians, physio, dieticians within my scope of practice ofc - relating to IPE at CMU). Then I explained how using those would impact my ability to be a great physician in a rural setting (hopeful career - relating to growing up on a farm, IPE for teamwork).

The school will know your reasons for why you want to pursue medicine from your personal statement - or at least they should because that was the main essay in the primary app :)

I hope that helps!

Anyone able to expand on the "Please provide additional details about being underrepresented in medicine" question? Do they mean personal experiences as a patient or being underrepresented as a physician

Any current med students from CMED here? I had some questions about the school that I couldn't find answers to on the website!

Hi guys - around how long did it take to receive a secondary?

May I ask when you added CMU on AMCAS? I got my MCAT last week and right away added CMU to my amcas list.
My amcas was verified and sent to schools on 6/28/22 which included CMU. I had my mcat score in before that though, so maybe that is why you haven't heard back?

Am I screwed at this school if I'm a bit over their recommended 2 week time for secondaries?

Am I screwed at this school if I'm a bit over their recommended 2 week time for secondaries?
Is central Michigan the one that requires 1000 words? I did so many secondaries and can’t remember specifically. If it is, I also worked on it for 16 days. I think you should submit it as soon as you can and I don’t think you are screwed.

I highly doubt it. I think thats just a target. I just got my last 2˚ submitted and its been 8 weeks since I received it. I wouldn't worry about that.

Is central Michigan the one that requires 1000 words? I did so many secondaries and can’t remember specifically. If it is, I also worked on it for 16 days. I think you should submit it as soon as you can and I don’t think you are screwed.
Are they fr with that? I always thought schools that had a 1000 word max jus had that as a (no word max) type thing

Could anyone share what the biographic section asks for (the one with 400 charchters each)?

Does anyone know what their policy is on multiple MCATs and whether they have MCAT cutoffs for OOS/Canadian applicants and if so what is that score?

Does anyone know what their policy is on multiple MCATs and whether they have MCAT cutoffs for OOS/Canadian applicants and if so what is that score?
Spoke to the admissions office about this-They look at all your MCAT scores and weigh your highest score the most. There is no GPA/MCAT cutoff other than for sending supplementary applications to applicants who have their primary app verified (3.25/500). OOS/Canadians are not expected to have higher GPA/MCAT scores.

II today. IS, LM 76, WARS 86. Submitted 7/8

Reactions: 3 users