2015-2016 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BradyC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Planning on applying this cycle. I took a look at the MSAR, and noticed that the median MCAT is significantly higher in this year's class compared to prior years, or at least the averages/medians UM posts on the admissions tracker for prior years. Any explanation? Is there is a significant difference between medians and averages that I'm not aware of?

Planning on applying this cycle. I took a look at the MSAR, and noticed that the median MCAT is significantly higher in this year's class compared to prior years, or at least the averages/medians UM posts on the admissions tracker for prior years. Any explanation? Is there is a significant difference between medians and averages that I'm not aware of?
Check out the tracker, much better information, especially the split between IS and OOS. Us IS catch a break, average MCAT is only 34.5, OOS is average 36.,,
My brother is an M1 at U of M, tracker in prior year was pretty consistent with previous, with just a small uptick each year. GO BLUE!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming M1. Please feel free to post questions here or PM me and I will be happy to try and answer them. Can chime in on the application process, etc.

Stats
>5700 applied
~575 interviewed (400 OOS, 175 IS)
360 acceptances (240 OOS, 120 IS)
178 matriculated (10 of which are MSTP)
  • Michigan aims for roughly a 50:50 in-state vs. out-of-state class profile.
  • Over the past few years, Michigan has not accepted students off of their waitlist
2014-2015 Secondary Application (there is no pre-screen)
Secondary Application and Status Page
  • Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
  • At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
  • We know you have many interests and passions beyond your pursuit of medical training. At Michigan we encourage you to continue to develop these talents. Please list three areas of interest (e.g., symphony orchestra, drawing/painting/ceramics, research in a specific area, joint degrees, athletic interests/running/softball, ballroom dance, Spanish language study, international travel/work/study, etc.) you would like to pursue while at Michigan. This will allow us to provide resources for you around these interests. (Three blanks given)
  • Fun fact - We would like to know one fun fact about you. This may be shared with other applicants. Please answer the following question with up to four words: "Most people don't know that I can ____________"
MIC (mini-secondary for interviewees to fill out)
  • Would you like to add any new information or activities to your AMCAS application?
  • Do you have any gaps in activities or time on our application, or would you like to explain any poor grades or scores?
  • Did you take the MCAT more than once?
  • Please briefly describe your personal experience in a leadership position and the challenges that presented themselves in that position (250 words or less)
  • Please briefly describe your experience as part of a team and how you contributed to the success of that team and its goals (250 words or less)
  • What city and state do you consider your hometown?
  • Do you have any dietary restrictions?
  • Will you be driving to your interview and need a parking voucher?
Important Dates (2014-2015)
First secondary application: June 27th, 2014
First interview invitation: July 15th, 2014
First acceptance: October 15th, 2014 at midnight via email (and/or hand-delivered mail for those in the close vicinity of U Mich)
First deferral: October 15th, 2014
Last interview: February 6th, 2015
First post-secondary rejection: February 11th, 2015
First Dean’s Scholarship release: March 9th, 2015 via email

Interview
In 2014-15, for the first time, U of M added a (relatively short) MMI to their interview day. The day also included two traditional interviews, one with a faculty member and one with a student or alum., each scheduled for 30 minutes.

Update Letter Policy
Updates may be uploaded to the secondary portal.

Statuses
Several application statuses are given out by U of M. In 2014-2015, many applicants received statuses, mostly at the end of October, titled “Application Screening Complete.” At least one person with this status reported receiving an interview afterward, so it is not a rejection.

Of Note
  • U of M regularly posts application-related updates on their Twitter
  • The Application Tracker shows how many interviews/acceptances have been accepted and the average stats for each (for both IS and OOS)
  • U of M has an app that can be downloaded to Android/Apple devices to check application status
  • Match list archive and incoming class profiles

Reactions: 1 users
Planning on applying MSTP this cycle. Fingers crossed!

Applying OOS- hopefully the Wolverines will welcome a Buckeye into their midst :)

Applying OOS- hopefully the Wolverines will welcome a Buckeye into their midst :)

GL, friend.

I've thought about applying to OSU, but I can't bring myself to do it!

GO BLUE!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all! This is my far-fetched dream school! I didn't get a chance to apply as undergrad so this is hoping (or waiting for the miracle) that I get in! haha. I am OOS and have low MCAT, but decent GPAs, URM, non-trad, disadvantaged. Go BLUE!!! :D

Applying here too as an OOS applicant. College Station, TX to Ann Arbor, MI? Maroon and Blue? We'll see! Good luck everyone! ;)

Applying here. Here's hoping for the best.

I had a question about the secondary. Assuming that it will contain the essay about something you are passionate about like from previous years, what should we write about? It is "supposed" to be something clinical? I was planning on elaborating on one of my hobbies. But the issue is that I want to make this same hobby one of my meaningful experiences on my primary. How should I work around this? I don't want to be seen as just copying things from my primary, but, at the same time, I am very passionate about this hobby and feel it would best address the secondary prompt.

I had a question about the secondary. Assuming that it will contain the essay about something you are passionate about like from previous years, what should we write about? It is "supposed" to be something clinical? I was planning on elaborating on one of my hobbies. But the issue is that I want to make this same hobby one of my meaningful experiences on my primary. How should I work around this? I don't want to be seen as just copying things from my primary, but, at the same time, I am very passionate about this hobby and feel it would best address the secondary prompt.

I would be surprised if they did not include the "passion" essay again this year. You can write whatever you want. By no means does it need to be medically/clinically related. I wrote about a hobby of mine that has nothing to do with medicine. The meaningful experience blurb is not that long. I have to imagine you can put a different twist on the secondary prompt and expand on what you wrote in your primary. Just think strategically.

Applying this cycle! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like this secondary, a nice change of pace from all the others!

I really like this secondary, a nice change of pace from all the others!
Yes to that. And they don't have silly "rules" about LOR and the prereqs are very open ended. Overall, let's folks do what they do best, and show it.

Incoming M1 here starting in a few short weeks.

You should write about anything that you are passionate about! It's not supposed to be about anything in particular, although if there's something clinically related that first comes to mind, then great. But definitely don't try and force something clinical because you think that's what they want to hear. I personally wrote about food - how it's grown, where it comes from, the lives it touches along the way, the way it serves as a lens into a society's culture - because that's what came to my mind. It definitely ties back into some of my experiences, including one of my most meaningful, but in a more tangential way. The point is, it wasn't an essay that had anything to do with medicine or even serving people. But it did provide insight into how I view the world and what is important to me. If you can speak passionately about a hobby, and that's what came to mind when you read the prompt, then go for it (of course, every word of your essays is precious, so try not to repeat yourself).

Hope that helps.

Also, in case anyone glanced over the timeline in hellanutella's excellent post above, note that the first interview invite went out a little over two weeks after the primaries were released! Michigan's application process moves very quickly in the beginning. If you are seriously considering this school, be sure to turn the secondary around as fast as possible!

If they are offering interviews that early, does anyone know when the first actual interview is?

I've heard that everything is going to be slowed down this year due to new MCAT and slower verification. I would think IIs might go out a little later, but maybe same interview dates? Early september?

Applying here in-state. I turned down undergrad here to head to California, but it would be awesome to return here for medical school.

Applying here in-state. I turned down undergrad here to head to California, but it would be awesome to return here for medical school.
And the IS MCAT stats are a bit more forgiving than the OOS (34.5 versus 36 for OOS). Good luck to you.

If they are offering interviews that early, does anyone know when the first actual interview is?

Last year the first interview date was 9/5. So figure sometime early- to mid-September.

And the IS MCAT stats are a bit more forgiving than the OOS (34.5 versus 36 for OOS). Good luck to you.
Thanks, good luck to you too. I grew up a michigander but I'm slowly starting to turn into a californian :eek:

Thanks, good luck to you too. I grew up a michigander but I'm slowly starting to turn into a californian :eek:
Funny, I was born in California, but came to the Midwest in kindergarten. Would be happy in either place, or any place that takes me, even the frigid wilderness of Rochester MN!!

Funny, I was born in California, but came to the Midwest in kindergarten. Would be happy in either place, or any place that takes me, even the frigid wilderness of Rochester MN!!

If I happen to get accepted to Michigan and attend here or any school in the Midwest, I will have to get used to the frigid freezing weather during winter. I think 50 degrees is way too cold in TX but y'all deal with very low temperatures up there. The best part is that I will finally see snow! In Texas, even if there is just a sprinkle of snow falling (literally 0.5 inches), they cancel school and businesses here and traffic in Houston would be a huge mess since no one knows how to drive in ice. So sad. :laugh:

I have a pretty low MCAT (28) and OOS. Non-Trad...3.75c/3.4 or 3.5bcpm (not AMCAS verified yet). :( Applying as a long shot, but should I worry of being screened out? I have a pretty legit reason for the low MCAT and been advised not to retake it with the new changes unless I gotta apply another round...advice?

If I happen to get accepted to Michigan and attend here or any school in the Midwest, I will have to get used to the frigid freezing weather during winter. I think 50 degrees is way too cold in TX but y'all deal with very low temperatures up there. The best part is that I will finally see snow! In Texas, even if there is just a sprinkle of snow falling (literally 0.5 inches), they cancel school and businesses here and traffic in Houston would be a huge mess since no one knows how to drive in ice. So sad. :laugh:
Make sure you schedule your interview for January in Ann Arbor, ha ha ha

I have a pretty low MCAT (28) and OOS. Non-Trad...3.75c/3.4 or 3.5bcpm (not AMCAS verified yet). :( Applying as a long shot, but should I worry of being screened out? I have a pretty legit reason for the low MCAT and been advised not to retake it with the new changes unless I gotta apply another round...advice?
U of M AVERAGE OOS MCAT is 36. They only interview about 10% of apps received, and most folks have a strong research background. Your dollar/time to apply to U of M, but I think you would be better off applying to other schools more in your range. Best wishes.

Agree with Rainbow Zebra on this one. OOS applicants have a little bit of a tougher time at this place.

Figured as much! For 30 bucks I'll give it a go...won't spend too much time on secondaries I guess! ;)

Also, can we all just appreciate how wonderfully transparent UMich's Med Admissions is? Like, hands down the best admissions site/information I've seen.

Reactions: 5 users
Figured as much! For 30 bucks I'll give it a go...won't spend too much time on secondaries I guess! ;)
+ $85 when you submit that secondary!

Also, can we all just appreciate how wonderfully transparent UMich's Med Admissions is? Like, hands down the best admissions site/information I've seen.
Just wait until you meet the admissions team!

This is honestly one of the reasons u mich enticed me. I'm OOS so wasn't originally thinking of applying but after seeing how transparent they are and looking more into the school, that's the type of environment I'd want to be in for the next 4 years of my life. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone! Just waiting on those secondaries now

I wonder if they'll be later this year due to all the new MCAT stuff

I'm just submitting my primaries right now. Would I still be looked at first if I have a 3.95 sGPA and 39 MCAT? Or should I be worried about being late?

I'm just submitting my primaries right now. Would I still be looked at first if I have a 3.95 sGPA and 39 MCAT? Or should I be worried about being late?
um.

Reactions: 8 users
It will take a couple weeks for your primary to be verified by amcas at which point it then is sent to Michigan.

Do you guys think I'll be at a disadvantage if I'm late, considering my stats?

umm....stats aren't everything, so yea maybe since it will take 2-4 weeks to process your primary.

Thanks. Is that by month the primary was submitted or secondary?

I was able to log into the "check application status" page from their Admissions website, but chose not to put in my essays, etc. just yet. Looks like they have my LORs on file already, and the prompts are the same as last year's.

^same, but I didn't actually receive an email

I think I'm going to wait til they send an e-mail before I do anything.

Doesn't UM usually send out secondaries on the first day?

I was able to log into the "check application status" page from their Admissions website, but chose not to put in my essays, etc. just yet. Looks like they have my LORs on file already, and the prompts are the same as last year's.

^same, but I didn't actually receive an email

I think I'm going to wait til they send an e-mail before I do anything.

Relax, everyone. You'll each get a secondary!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm just excited because it's one of the few I actually pre-wrote :cool: