2015-2016 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anyone else who got verified early but still hasn't received an email? I was verified on 6/05. I've already filled out the secondary but I don't want to submit it before the email. I'm just afraid I accidentally deleted the email or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone else who got verified early but still hasn't received an email? I was verified on 6/05. I've already filled out the secondary but I don't want to submit it before the email. I'm just afraid I accidentally deleted the email or something.
I already got the link to the secondary. Is the one you're referring to the one that can be accessed via https://www.umms.med.umich.edu/admappstatus/ ? If so, I say wait, because the website they linked in the secondary invite is completely different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your junk mail. My secondary email was in there

Submitted! This is my first finished secondary that required essays; it feels good to get the ball rolling :happy:

Yeah I'm kinda worried cause I was verified 6/11 and still haven't received an email. Unfortunately it wasn't in my spam folder either. LizzyM ~ 77

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm kinda worried cause I was verified 6/11 and still haven't received an email. Unfortunately it wasn't in my spam folder either. LizzyM ~ 77

Yeah I've checked all my folders, too. LizzyM ~73 for me but I'm pretty sure Michigan doesn't screen!

Yeah I've checked all my folders, too. LizzyM ~73 for me but I'm pretty sure Michigan doesn't screen!

Oh ok, hopefully we should get the email after the holiday!

Reactions: 1 user
They don't screen, I'm sort of expecting all the schools that do automatic secondaries will trickle out the emails over the next weekish.

Does anybody know the type of patients UoM typically sees? Is it mostly underserved communities? Are there a large number of Hispanics near the area? Especially many Spanish-speaking patients?

Does anybody know the type of patients UoM typically sees? Is it mostly underserved communities? Are there a large number of Hispanics near the area? Especially many Spanish-speaking patients?

I have volunteered at the hospital and there aren't many hispanic patients. A very few. Through the medical school though, I know you can get the chance to go volunteer in Dearborn or Detroit where there are lots of hispanic/underserved populations. If you're really interested into serving underserved communities, I would highly recommend Wayne State if you're Michigander. UofM is more of a cutting-edge treatments/global health type school.

No only 13% Medicaid, a large suburban hospital, but takes quandary cases from all over state (has the trauma burn unit)

Last edited:
Michigan does not have a huge Hispanic population, but lots of middle eastern and Asian ( mostly due to international nature U of m). If you want under served, Wayne State is your school ( third world population dynamics with first world technology is the saying )

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^ +1 on the Arab population, you get a ton coming to UMich from Dearborn and Detroit.

Hmmmm I'm not sure about the last part. I think they meant money that would directly be going to your college through a tutition payment or a work study program. That would be my conservative statement. I mean either way in terms of my AMCAS primary they will learn about the jobs I held in college anyways but in terms of that blank for my situation because I got scholarships and loans for my expenses for school even though I worked eight hours a week.

True but it also wants you to average in summer work. I think they just want a better sense of how much you are working every week in total where on the primary it just gives the overall hours you have done. Like I am taking out loans for my education but have been working twenty hours a week throughout the year. I don't think I give the full picture if I put zero down.

Secondary submitted! this is probably the most prestigious school I'm applying to, best of luck to all

Reactions: 2 users
So turned in my secondary (submitted) went to AMCAS to certify and choose my letters (not all are in, so only chose the 4 in now ...darn letter writers that turned non-responsive :( ..) and went back to see the submission..and now I have TWO secondary sections. One submitted one not....also the details of one have a bunch of attachements. Um, does anyone know what that's about?

So turned in my secondary (submitted) went to AMCAS to certify and choose my letters (not all are in, so only chose the 4 in now ...darn letter writers that turned non-responsive :( ..) and went back to see the submission..and now I have TWO secondary sections. One submitted one not....also the details of one have a bunch of attachements. Um, does anyone know what that's about?

That happened to me too! I believe it is nothing, after all, I can see the HTML printout of my application on the secondary that says submitted.

Totally stuck on figuring out what makes me unique for the "what would you as an individual bring" essay. I am not a minority in any sense of the word (besides female, but I don't think that really helps me). Thought about talking about studying abroad/studying a foreign language but I feel like a lot of applicants do that

That happened to me too! I believe it is nothing, after all, I can see the HTML printout of my application on the secondary that says submitted.
Bless you Star for helping us keep the stress level down!! Best wishes to all!! I'm still working on my passionate essay. This one is not so bad, sort of fun.

Totally stuck on figuring out what makes me unique for the "what would you as an individual bring" essay. I am not a minority in any sense of the word (besides female, but I don't think that really helps me). Thought about talking about studying abroad/studying a foreign language but I feel like a lot of applicants do that
Like Goro mentions, what would your friends say about you that makes you cool/fun/great friend? Not only about race/ethnicity. My brother used his outdoorsmanship, rock climbing and kayaking for this essay 2 cycles ago. He is now an M2.

I struggled so much with this too. I decided to wing it and answer from (wait for cliche) the heart. haha Advice that helped me was "Primaries are what YOU want to tell the school about yourself....secondaries are about answering what the SCHOOL wants to know about you. Be straightforward!"

Good luck!

Just checked my status, it now says my file is complete and under review. I haven't received a "complete" e-mail yet though.

Oh and the second "unsubmitted" secondary window is still there. Probably just a glitch.

As some have mentioned above, your diversity/uniqueness doesn't have to stem from culture! One of my colleagues is an M2 at UM now and he spoke about his background in entrepreneurship and how he can offer a different perspective on medicine. Talk about your passions, think about why it influences how you think and the value of that.

Just checked my status, it now says my file is complete and under review. I haven't received a "complete" e-mail yet though.

Oh and the second "unsubmitted" secondary window is still there. Probably just a glitch.
Where are you seeing the complete status :\

Where are you seeing the complete status :\
When I click on "View Checklist," this is what it says under Status Message:

Your file is now complete and under review. Reviews may take up to several months and could include some ?on hold? time while we compare groups of applicants. Thank you in advance for your patience during this lengthy period of time.

Hey so I'm not able to input my AMCAS ID or pick an application type on the "personal information" part of the secondary. The space is gray and when I hover my mouse over it becomes red. Anybody else run into that issue?

I still have not gotten a secondary, verified on 6/05, LizzyM ~73. Is it time to contact them?

Just got the secondary a couple mins ago!

I submitted mine and paid but it still says "
Status Message
We have received your primary application. Please complete your secondary using this portal. Your file will not be complete until your secondary and payment have been received."

Also what are the extra uploads for? We don't need a picture, do we?

I submitted mine and paid but it still says "
Status Message
We have received your primary application. Please complete your secondary using this portal. Your file will not be complete until your secondary and payment have been received."

Also what are the extra uploads for? We don't need a picture, do we?
That was my status for a couple of days before it changed to the one I posted ^above. And the extra uploads are for updates, I believe.

Writing my secondaries right now. GO BLUE!!! Good luck to all applying here, this is one of my dream schools although I'm OOS.

Quick question here. I'm submitting my application to AMCAS tomorrow, but I'm concerned that I will be submitting it too late to be competitive for an interview. AMCAS is currently almost one month behind reviewing applications, and the admissions data that Michigan releases makes it seem as if applying after July is a death sentence for your application. Obviously I will pre-write my secondary and still apply, but can anyone give me a little perspective on how this process works and/or whether I'm late in the game? Took the June 20 MCAT, will have LOR in this week as well, and my transcript has already been received by AMCAS.

Quick question here. I'm submitting my application to AMCAS tomorrow, but I'm concerned that I will be submitting it too late to be competitive for an interview. AMCAS is currently almost one month behind reviewing applications, and the admissions data that Michigan releases makes it seem as if applying after July is a death sentence for your application. Obviously I will pre-write my secondary and still apply, but can anyone give me a little perspective on how this process works and/or whether I'm late in the game? Took the June 20 MCAT, will have LOR in this week as well, and my transcript has already been received by AMCAS.
I don't think any of us can tell you not to apply, but do know that the adcoms won't look at your app until everything is complete. If you're really interested in UMich, then please toss your hat in! It cannot hurt. :)

Best of luck to you, and we're all here to cheer you on!!

My brother was IS took a July MCAT, got results in August, did the secondary by August 31. Got an interview in Dec, accepted in Jan., is now and M2.
Not optimal, but not a death sentence. Get done in August, and you'll be fine. September is way too late. Good luck to you.

Great thank you both! Go Blue!
I've looked at the tracker at different times last year and noticed that there were still lots of interviews yet to be given out by the time September came. Noticing that, I think that the high percentages of people getting interviews in earlier months are just results of better candidates applying more early.

Last edited:
so where do we check our application status? is it all through email?

I keep checking "check list" on the link they had through the payment confirmTion page
I just checked that and there is one secondary app and fee "submitted" and another one "unsubmitted". why is there a duplicate!

I just checked that and there is one secondary app and fee "submitted" and another one "unsubmitted". why is there a duplicate!

I have two secondaries too on mine. Not sure why but I don't think it is an issue. One says submitted and I think that is what matters.

I have two secondaries too on mine. Not sure why but I don't think it is an issue. One says submitted and I think that is what matters.
Agree with doc

Does anyone know how to check if you LOR's were received? And WHAT IS THE ATTACHMENTS for on the checklist for secondaries? o_O

On the tracker does anyone know if the submission month refers to the month you submitted your primary, the month it was verified, or the month you submitted your secondary?

Thanks!

According to the Admissions office's FB page, IIs will begin starting next week!

Reactions: 3 users