2015-2016 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also received scholarship email this morning. Is there any record of Michigan increasing scholarship amounts after the initial offer?

On last years thread some people got increases after others declined the offer. Does anyone know if more come out tomorrow? :/ really hoping to not have to pay full OOS tuition...

Members don't see this ad.

On last years thread some people got increases after others declined the offer. Does anyone know if more come out tomorrow? :/ really hoping to not have to pay full OOS tuition...
There is definitely a scheduled second round! Not sure when it is -- I may root around old threads to get an idea, but I think it's at least a couple weeks from now.

Yes, it's happened before. Once the dust settles and some people turn down their scholarships for other schools/bigger scholarships than it's likely Michigan would provide, they'll be able to reallocate some of that scholarship money.

My advisor suggested that I attend second look, decide if I *truly* want to go to Michigan, and then approach them for more money to be competitive with the other scholarships I've received. I was told that a true interest and intent to go to the school should you receive the extra money will be more likely to lead to receiving it. I'm not sure if it's true, but I think that's what I'm going to do.

I hope that is not true. Another 500$ and weekend of travel from the west coast is something I just can't stomach right now. I think it would be unfair to many non-trad applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope that is not true. Another 500$ and weekend of travel from the west coast is something I just can't stomach right now. I think it would be unfair to many non-trad applicants.
That's absolutely fair, and I hope I didn't make it sound like this was unequivocally correct. It was just what my premedical advisor suggested and certainly not an absolute truth. Her thinking was just that they'd rather allocate extra money to students who they believe really want to come, but I'm sure you can express that without having to be there in person.

That's absolutely fair, and I hope I didn't make it sound like this was unequivocally correct.

I understood you, no worries! Just hoping aloud that it isn't the reality. I would give the same advice as your advisor just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
Scholarship email also! Feeling the Wolverine love.

@BradyC Do all the lecture halls at Michigan have outlets for every seat/student? I'm looking for a new laptop and was just wondering how much of a priority I should give to battery life.

Also, does Michigan have any specific laptop requirements? I checked the website but couldn't find anything. I might have just missed it though.

Hi @Khaleesi3 , the seats in the lecture hall do not all have outlets for every seat. There are seats on the side that do have some available. If you end up being a lecture goer the most lectures we have ever had in a row is around four hours but more typical is 3. I have not heard from any of my classmates that battery life has ever been an issue. I have to imagine the students that have a computer that would potentially putter out sit on the edge but more likely they have it charged and ready to go for the lectures. Also, of the 170 students maybe only 20-30 go on a regular basis so there is no competition for the plugs.

Michigan has no laptop requirements in terms of type. There are some general specifications that they ask you to have so you can do histology, watch videos, etc. Nothing onerous. People use regular PCs, MACs, ipads, and Microsoft Surfaces for their note taking. A few students print out the coursepack as well. During Launch (orientation) there will definitely be a session dedicated to technology to get you all squared away before classes start.

Hope that answered your questions. If you have any more please feel free to reach out at anytime.

Last edited:
Hi @Khaleesi3 , the seats in the lecture hall do not all have outlets for every seat. There are seats on the side that do have some available. If you end up being a lecture goer the most lectures we have ever had in a row is around four hours but more typical is 3. I have not heard from any of my classmates that battery life has ever been an issue. I have to imagine the students that have a computer that would potentially putter out sit on the edge but more likely they have it charged and ready to go for the lectures. Also, of the 170 students maybe only 20-30 go on a regular basis so there is no competition for the plugs.

Michigan has no laptop requirements in terms of type. There are some general specifications that they ask you to have so you can do histology, watch videos, etc. Nothing onerous. People use regular PCs, MACs, ipads, and Microsoft Surfaces for their note taking. A few students print out the coursepack as well. During Launch (orientation) there will definitely be a session dedicated to technology to get you all squared away before classes start.

Hope that answered your questions. If you have any more please feel free to reach out at anytime.

Thanks, that was really helpful! Also, do you know if Michigan allow students to take out a one-time loan to purchase a laptop?

Thanks, that was really helpful! Also, do you know if Michigan allow students to take out a one-time loan to purchase a laptop?

I thought your loan could be used for anything, as that's pretty standard for med school loans. You choose how much of a loan you want.

I thought your loan could be used for anything, as that's pretty standard for med school loans. You choose how much of a loan you want.

Loans going toward cost of attendance can technically be spent on anything, but you probably want to spend that money on what it was intended for like books, food, rent, etc.

Some medical schools will give first year students a one time additional loan of like $1500-$2500 to buy a new a laptop.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Khaleesi3 I think you can request some extra money from U of M and there are some additional funds you can get for cost of attendance, but I have not heard of an additional loan to buy a laptop. I would recommend contacting Financial Aid office directly.

@Khaleesi3 I think you can request some extra money from U of M and there are some additional funds you can get for cost of attendance, but I have not heard of an additional loan to buy a laptop. I would recommend contacting Financial Aid office directly.

Alright, thanks for your help! I'll ask the financial aid office what their policy on this is.

Alright, thanks for your help! I'll ask the financial aid office what their policy on this is.

I am pretty sure that you can get specific financial aid to help with your computer. However, just double check with the office. If you give them a call they will be able to answer that question easily.

Hi Folks
Currently I am holding two acceptances, UCLA and UofM Ann Arbor, both my dream schools. However, I am in a bit of confusing state while making up my mind. If OOS cost and locations are not a major issue, what are the important things one should consider in selecting a school?

Few observations/experiences from interviews:
  • I found UofM lot friendlier, college town feeling, extremely transparent, faculty friendly, and open door policy, infrastructure more advance and newer than UCLA. I cannot find any minuses other than living far from my family.
Any pointers from existing UofM med student, or someone with similar situation? Or how others would make this decision?
Thanks a lot

Hi @Mitali ,

I am a current M1 at Michigan and I can answer your questions. I was also choosing between being near home and coming to Michigan. You can PM me about any specifics, but the choice for me was Ann Arbor compared to a bigger city. Ann Arbor always has things going on and it is much more than just a college town. Take note of how many faculty come to Michigan for school or residency and stay here; it really speaks to how awesome it is here.

Has anyone received money since the first round of scholarships?

Hi @Mitali ,

I am a current M1 at Michigan and I can answer your questions. I was also choosing between being near home and coming to Michigan. You can PM me about any specifics, but the choice for me was Ann Arbor compared to a bigger city. Ann Arbor always has things going on and it is much more than just a college town. Take note of how many faculty come to Michigan for school or residency and stay here; it really speaks to how awesome it is here.

Thank you. I will surely get in touch with you.

As we inch closer towards April 30th, any word on whether there may be movement on the waitlist this year (or whether this next year's class might be overenrolled)?

Withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to someone off the WL. Best of luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students that don't live in Ann Arbor here? Need an entire home to rent (preferably) and having problems finding dog friendly (2 mastiffs) places for me and my SO. Ann Arbor is too expensive and my SO has to find a job after the move (we will initially live on loans). Any suggestions? How much can you honestly afford per month with your aid package? Is 1000 per month (rent only) doable?

Any current students that don't live in Ann Arbor here? Need an entire home to rent (preferably) and having problems finding dog friendly (2 mastiffs) places for me and my SO. Ann Arbor is too expensive and my SO has to find a job after the move (we will initially live on loans). Any suggestions? How much can you honestly afford per month with your aid package? Is 1000 per month (rent only) doable?

Ypsilanti is next door, much cheaper, can buy homes in a more reasonable range than Ann Arbor.
Schools are aren't great, as long as it is just dogs, and not kids, should be fine.

Ypsilanti is next door, much cheaper, can buy homes in a more reasonable range than Ann Arbor.
Schools are aren't great, as long as it is just dogs, and not kids, should be fine.

Ypsilanti is cheaper, as well as parts of Ann Arbor further away from downtown. You could also find something temporary and go better when SO gets a job.

If you want more land, look west, not east. I have a child and two Border Collies and we ended up buying in Ann Arbor because of the schools. Places like Saline and Dexter are nearby and offer a lot more land if you'd like.

Carol kept saying May 2 was the deadline to make a decision but everywhere I look online says April 30... can anyone confirm one way or the other? Is May 2 just the deadline for UM?

Carol kept saying May 2 was the deadline to make a decision but everywhere I look online says April 30... can anyone confirm one way or the other? Is May 2 just the deadline for UM?
April 30 is the official AAMC deadline but it falls on a Saturday so schools are giving people until May 2

April 30 is the official AAMC deadline but it falls on a Saturday so schools are giving people until May 2
AAMC's official deadline is actually the first weekday after April 30 (which this year is May 2). All schools are supposed to comply to this deadline

Just withdrew, best of luck to all on the waitlist!!!! You all deserve a shot

Just withdrew, best of luck to all on the waitlist!!!! You all deserve a shot

+1, so difficult to withdraw from this amazing school

Can you guys put a note in your withdrawal email telling the admissions office that there's a guy named BararaBoi that would love to go to your medical school? Jking, jking. I know there hasn't been movement on the waitlist in the last 6 years, but I'm still holding onto a small bit of hope that they do have some movement this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Any word on a final class count? Is it safe to assume that the class has been filled?