2015-2016 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So jealous of you guys! I'm freaking out here wondering if my application will even get looked at if I won't be complete until the beginning of August :/

Members don't see this ad.

Lol if we don't submit today we are screwed! :boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
The Michigan supplemental worked for me, too! So the info definitely got transmitted.

^You submitted yours already? I kind of want to, but I also just wanna wait for the e-mail.

^You submitted yours already? I kind of want to, but I also just wanna wait for the e-mail.

I think he's just saying the transmission from AMCAS to UM worked, and that he was able to log into the supplemental application. Could be wrong though.

I'm just excited because it's one of the few I actually pre-wrote :cool:

Same.

Reactions: 3 users
I want to submit it but not sure if I should arghhhhh :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
Just wait. My pre-health advisor has actually told me that it looks bad if you submit it before the email.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeaaaaa you're right…….guess I'm just trying to submit the few I can before I get flooded with them in the next two weeks.

Just wait. My pre-health advisor has actually told me that it looks bad if you submit it before the email.

Did s/he elaborate why this is so? I can understand if the school screens, and you send a secondary if you don't make the cut...but for schools like UMich, where everyone gets a secondary, where's the harm?

"Although some applicants do it in an unwise attempt to push their application forward, submitting a secondary before being invited is really poor application etiquette and such practice is frowned upon by medical schools--think of the equivalent of showing up to a party uninvited. You do not want to be that person..."

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been mulling over this prompt and did some pre-outlining, but are there hobbies or passions or fun facts that are like... Too weird? Because in any one of those I could mention/want to mention that I really love reptiles. I have a snake now (not my avatar, that's an eyelash viper at the zoo). But some people think reptiles are gross and people who keep them are creepy weirdos, so I tend to not want to mention it to people. I don't want them to suspect I actually want to be a vet, either.

I mean surely they've seen stranger stuff, right?

I think it would be fine as a fun fact. I know mine is 100% not serious. As far as something you're passionate about, that's more of a gray area for me, personally. Might be ok if you've done something cool with snakes or to benefit them, but just really liking snakes might come off not the best way

Right right, I don't think it fits this passion prompt specifically yet since I haven't done enough for it to fit that here yet. The reptile thing would be a fun fact for sure I think. I meant to say that as an example, because all my interests are kind of odd but that's probably the oddest.

If you're talking about the passion prompt, I recommend picking something that you're always excited to talk about. It's something you should be able to carry a 5 minute conversation about, something you'd like to discuss or share with others, something that makes you smile just thinking about.

After reading your essay, your reader should be interested enough to ask you an interview question about it.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been mulling over this prompt and did some pre-outlining, but are there hobbies or passions or fun facts that are like... Too weird? Because in any one of those I could mention/want to mention that I really love reptiles. I have a snake now (not my avatar, that's an eyelash viper at the zoo). But some people think reptiles are gross and people who keep them are creepy weirdos, so I tend to not want to mention it to people. I don't want them to suspect I actually want to be a vet, either.

Why not for your fun fact write "I have a pet snake." Nothing weird about that and it is definitely fun/different.

Just got my secondary invite today. Prompts are the same as last year.

Just got my secondary invite today. Prompts are the same as last year.

Awesome!

For people quasi-freaking out like me, I wouldn't sweat it because, again, I logged in to their website yesterday and they had all my information in, but I still haven't gotten an email and was verified 6/8.

Got mine!!! First one (was starting to stress) and my number one school at that ! Must be meant to be!

They're trying to use this question to build their next medical school class. Make sure you talk about an interest that could sell yourself to them. If you use something strange.

Last edited:

Be confident in yourself, man. I think being passionate about your pet reptiles is awesome. Don't let admissions committees compromise who you are.

Anyways, secondary received and submitted so hopefully I won't be checking this thread obsessively anymore.

Are we supposed to wait for an email before submitting?

Just got An email for the secondary! Verified 6/8.

Secondary email received, verified 6/4

lol one of my friends is in here. That was unexpected. And lol at some of these answers + the comic sans. This is helpful though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having problems logging into their site. Anyone else having an issue?

Secondary received and submitted! Verified 6/4.

+1 secondary, verified 6/17!

Last edited:
I submitted the secondary and received a confirmation email. However, I can still go back and edit my information. Anyone else encountering the same thing?

Submitted the secondary!! :woot:

And @223sarahsmith all I am able to do is "View HTML" and I can't edit any of those fields!

Edit: wait I get what you're saying. I guess that none of the changes that you make in the form will be received by the school. The only one that they will get is that confirmation page that has the HTML version link.

Last edited:
Some of these are outstanding. Freestyle rappoorly, paint like Mark Rothko...

I got my secondary email (plus a follow up) today, was verified only on 06/26!

Last edited by a moderator:
NVM

Last edited:
sorry for double posting, but I have a LOR question,

I posted in the general threads, but I am wondering if UMich has a different policy. I have a total of 6 letters I want to send. However, one guy went MIA in europe and stopped responding. He is also the guy I've been doing research for the past two years and knows me personally. We kept in touch and I gave him deadlines and all, but recently (the past month) I have gotten 0 replies. He should be back July 23rd, but I don't want to wait until then to submit.

Can I send 5 now, then his letter whenever he gets around it? o_O Do they frown upon that or delay reviewing my file because of it?

Thanks!

6 might be a little too much. If each of your letters will say something different about you, then by all means, go for it. If they may be redundant, try to pick the 4 you like best. Have 4 good letters is better than having 5 good ones+1 bad one.

But to answer your question, they'll only review your file once, once they have all the letters you have listed.

6 might be a little too much. If each of your letters will say something different about you, then by all means, go for it. If they may be redundant, try to pick the 4 you like best. Have 4 good letters is better than having 5 good ones+1 bad one.

But to answer your question, they'll only review your file once, once they have all the letters you have listed.
Thanks for letting me know! They are good pretty good if I may say so! :p I lucked out on letters, but I will try to choose a top 4....I just wish his letter were part of the top 4 :\ sigh

Last edited:
Honestly, I swear my writing mojo is from 3am to 6 am -_- sighhh secondaries done....now the choice, to have a qualified someone edit them next monday, or get randoms now and send it?

:sleep:

Can anyone clarify the "employment to finance your education" question. I had a few jobs but I wouldn't say that the money was funding my education. What wasn't covered by my athletic scholarship was paid for by my parents. Do I still add hours from whatever jobs I had?

Can anyone clarify the "employment to finance your education" question. I had a few jobs but I wouldn't say that the money was funding my education. What wasn't covered by my athletic scholarship was paid for by my parents. Do I still add hours from whatever jobs I had?
I didn't. Other secondaries specifically say employment in general, so for those I put the 8 hours a week I work. However, I didn't put that money toward my education, so I didn't put anything down for the Michigan secondary.

Last edited:
Secondary received 7/2 and submitted today! AMCAS verified 7/2. Best of luck everyone!

Yeah I think if you took out no loans and didn't pay any college expenses whatsoever then you should put zero. But if you took loans out and you have a job, I would still put those hours down because that's money that even if you aren't immediately paying the loans back, will eventually go towards your education.

Yeah I think if you took out no loans and didn't pay any college expenses whatsoever then you should put zero. But if you took loans out and you have a job, I would still put those hours down because that's money that even if you aren't immediately paying the loans back, will eventually go towards your education.
Hmmmm I'm not sure about the last part. I think they meant money that would directly be going to your college through a tutition payment or a work study program. That would be my conservative statement. I mean either way in terms of my AMCAS primary they will learn about the jobs I held in college anyways but in terms of that blank for my situation because I got scholarships and loans for my expenses for school even though I worked eight hours a week.

Quick question, I filled out the secondary on applyweb.com like the invite email told me to (paid the app fee there as well). However, when I go to check my status at www.umms.med.umich.edu/admappstatus, my secondary and app fee haven't been marked as received. This a big deal or should I wait before I worry?

^Wait before you worry! I called the UMich admissions office last Thursday about this and the nice representative I talked to said my file indicated that I submitted and paid already.

I think that was their secondary interface for last year that automatically populated fields for this year, and they made the switch to ApplyWeb this year. I'm guessing here, but Georgetown has the same issue with this year's secondary (they switched from ApplyYourself to AMP, they sent out an e-mail to applicants about it).

Reactions: 1 users
^Wait before you worry! I called the UMich admissions office last Thursday about this and the nice representative I talked to said my file indicated that I submitted and paid already.

I think that was their secondary interface for last year that automatically populated fields for this year, and they made the switch to ApplyWeb this year. I'm guessing here, but Georgetown has the same issue with this year's secondary (they switched from ApplyYourself to AMP, they sent out an e-mail to applicants about it).

Awesome, thanks so much.