2015-2016 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!!!! Check your snail mail!! Interviewed Dec 2nd, Hold card in Jan, Reapplicant. Super Excited!

Congrats!!! This gives me hope lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know where I can find interviewed/accepted numbers? Particularly in-state/out-of-state numbers?

Or even just general estimates that they've heard from Mr. Scott or others? I won't hold you to them, just hoping for a broad idea.

From what I saw, around 1,390 people apply, 230 get interviews (208 of which are AL residents [90.4%]). Of course, eventually they end up with 74.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I assume this means they lowered the bar a little bit. I hope snail mail finds its way to my house soon. I interviewed 2-17 and received hold card yesterday. Congrats lolo91.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I saw, around 1,390 people apply, 230 get interviews (208 of which are AL residents [90.4%]). Of course, eventually they end up with 74.

Thanks!

Did not receive anything in the mail or otherwise, so I thought to call them. Kinda awkward to hear that you had been declined an interview over the phone.

Just got the rejection email. No II, so not really surprised. Still cuts like a knife though.

Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck everyone!

After I received my rejection email, I called into the office to receive feedback on my application. I talked to this guy named Mark, and basically all he told me was that my GPA was bad, and that I was, "not even close." He made it very clear that I would not have a chance unless I made an entire new body of work, such as a, "hard science graduate degree." I will not be reapplying next year because of their non-holistic admission process. From what I gather, this place is only interested in numbers. They couldn't care less about you as a person, rather, as a future physician.

After I received my rejection email, I called into the office to receive feedback on my application. I talked to this guy named Mark, and basically all he told me was that my GPA was bad, and that I was, "not even close." He made it very clear that I would not have a chance unless I made an entire new body of work, such as a, "hard science graduate degree." I will not be reapplying next year because of their non-holistic admission process. From what I gather, this place is only interested in numbers. They couldn't care less about you as a person, rather, as a future physician.

Not to be rude, but with about a 3.0 GPA and an MCAT score below the 50%ile for all test takers, you can't seriously be surprised you were rejected -- they have to thin the herd somehow, and your numbers are very low. My impression is that USACOM is holistic in their review... so long as you can demonstrate to the committee that you can handle the rigor of a medical education.

Last edited:

USA has an admissions formula that makes the interview twice as important as your MCAT or GPA. Your non-academic work may impress the hell out of them, but at some point, your GPA and MCAT contributions to the formula will be too much to overcome. Those numbers have to matter eventually.

@FUallthetimeRollDins sounds like you will be reapplying. I'm a reapplicant so I know it sucks. But I guarantee every school you talk to will tell you the same thing.

I have a similar story and had similar stats. Awesome extracurricular and resume. Unimpressive GPA and MCAT. I didn't get any interviews. Was told to work on those things. Got an awesome GPA in grad school and retook the MCAT. I got 5 interview invites this time.

I said all of that to say I think you feel that way because you're in a sucky position. But take his advice and reapply broadly once you improve that MCAT and GPA! Include DO schools if you didn't this time. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hah, thats a pretty similar story for me, too. No interviews last year, improved my MCAT and EC's, got 5 this year. 1 DO acceptance so far.

Try to be positive, you're working on starting a 40+ year career, who cares if it turns out to be 39+ in the grand scheme of things

Reactions: 2 users
@FUallthetimeRollDins sounds like you will be reapplying. I'm a reapplicant so I know it sucks. But I guarantee every school you talk to will tell you the same thing.

I have a similar story and had similar stats. Awesome extracurricular and resume. Unimpressive GPA and MCAT. I didn't get any interviews. Was told to work on those things. Got an awesome GPA in grad school and retook the MCAT. I got 5 interview invites this time.

I said all of that to say I think you feel that way because you're in a sucky position. But take his advice and reapply broadly once you improve that MCAT and GPA! Include DO schools if you didn't this time. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement y'all! I was 100% sure that I would have a very difficult time even securing an interview this year; I haven't been disappointed. I did get one interview, which tells me something about my application interested the school enough to see if I was a reasonably functioning human. As a first timer, I'm just now getting a feel of the whole process. Congrats to you reapplicats. What were your graduate degrees in?

I did Biotechnology. It was a one year program which really appealed to me since I wanted to reapply quickly.

I got a second degree, in biology. I didn't qualify for a graduate track for a couple reasons, but the A's I got in upper level science classes (biochem, endocrinology, molecular genetics, advanced anatomy, etc) seemed to impress Mark Scott regardless.

Good to see you seem to be feeling better. I can't even count the number of times I broke down along the way these last 2-3 years. But to finally be at this point, on the verge of being a doctor... It was all worth it. Im sure you'll feel the same

I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes to get a letter today. Hah I stared at the mailbox for about an hour.

They had their last set of interviews last week I think. I was there 3/2, just got a hold card

We were told last Wednesday that our group would likely hear something Monday. The admissions committee had a meeting at 5 on our day of the interview

Last edited:
Got a hold card in the mail today. II on 03/09.

So is this the only time they are sending letters this month? The adcom usually meets once a month I think, but since they met early this month...?

So is this the only time they are sending letters this month? The adcom usually meets once a month I think, but since they met early this month...?

I got the idea they much meet at least a couple more times. Mark Scott said they will lower the admissions score 2 or 3 times before the end of March. I would assume that means a meeting comes along with them

Hold card today :( Bummer. Oh well, gotta stay positive until the end

Positive thoughts guys! I'm waiting for the score to be lowered already lol

Ms. Terrell told me that I will be held until April 15th "when more decisions will be made." That may be specific to me, but it also may be a general statement. Just a heads up for everyone else

Last edited:
Ms. Terrell told me that I will be held until August 15th "when more decisions will be made." That may be specific to me, but it also may be a general statement. Just a heads up for everyone else

Are you serious?
Until Aug/15th?

Ms. Terrell told me that I will be held until August 15th "when more decisions will be made." That may be specific to me, but it also may be a general statement. Just a heads up for everyone else

Did you mean to write August or April?

Yea, April 15th is on their website as the deadline for making the alternate list and sending rejections.

Also, based on the thread from last year the alternate list came out the first week of April.

Yea, I'm a re-applicant this year. Waiting over the summer was not fun, haha

@This Guy once waitlisted you don't get any idea of where you are on the list right? Like even if you call?

I'm just wondering because I have a DO acceptance and at some point I need to make plans for an apartment.

Yea, there's no real way to know beyond the fact that you're on it. Though they say if you're on there is a good chance of getting in. I was in a weird situation last year too because I was working out of the country at the time and really needed to know if I was gonna have to drop everything and jump on a plane back to the states! I would have done it in a heart beat

Edit: typo

Yea, there's no real way to know beyond the fact that you're on it. Though they say if you're on there is a good chance of getting in. I was in a weird situation last year too because I was working out of the country at the time and really needed to know if I was gonna have to drop everything and jump on a plane back to the states! I would have done it in a heart beat

Edit: typo

Can I ask you how you improved your application strength over a year?

Can I ask you how you improved your application strength over a year?

Sure thing, though I'm not in yet so keep that in mind. I got a Masters in Public Health (the job was with an NGO that I got through the program), did some more primary care shadowing and volunteered at the VA as much as I could. Right now, I'm working with a travel health company now and taking a few more courses in bio just for a little extra boost. I hope its enough, I don't want to have to take the MCAT again

So, has South been silent for like 3 weeks now? I was anticipating that folks would be receiving some mail throughout the last two weeks as the bar was lowered. Hmmmm.

So, has South been silent for like 3 weeks now? I was anticipating that folks would be receiving some mail throughout the last two weeks as the bar was lowered. Hmmmm.

When I called they said the next time anyone would hear anything is April 15.

I imagine they're waiting until the deadline to reply to acceptance letters.

Does anyone know if alternate list decisions/rejections are sent by snail-mail or email?

If its snail mail, then I doubt we'd receive anything until the Monday/Tuesday following April 15th (a Friday)

Does anyone know if alternate list decisions/rejections are sent by snail-mail or email?

If its snail mail, then I doubt we'd receive anything until the Monday/Tuesday following April 15th (a Friday)

Not sure, but I have a feeling it will be snail mail.
I'm hoping they send them out in order to get to us by April 15, communicating with us by their deadline:
"April 15 – Applicants who have not been accepted will be placed on an alternate list or rejected."
(on the phone I was there would be acceptances, alternate lists, and rejections on April 15. )

But...
Since mail from south usually arrives at the beginning of the week, it would follow tradition for it to be sent on April 15, a Fri, and arrive April 18/19. Meaning April 15 is then just a deadline for south to do those things, not to communicate to us that they have done them. Hopefully it's the first case and we get letters by April 15, but logic and my growing pessimism about this process is saying probably April 18/19.

And then, those of us who get Alternate list wait for a big movement around April 30th.

Not sure, but I have a feeling it will be snail mail.
I'm hoping they send them out in order to get to us by April 15, communicating with us by their deadline:
"April 15 – Applicants who have not been accepted will be placed on an alternate list or rejected."
(on the phone I was there would be acceptances, alternate lists, and rejections on April 15. )

But...
Since mail from south usually arrives at the beginning of the week, it would follow tradition for it to be sent on April 15, a Fri, and arrive April 18/19. Meaning April 15 is then just a deadline for south to do those things, not to communicate to us that they have done them. Hopefully it's the first case and we get letters by April 15, but logic and my growing pessimism about this process is saying probably April 18/19.

And then, those of us who get Alternate list wait for a big movement around April 30th.

I think you're right, it'll be mailed on the 15th.

Having done this process twice, I've noticed that if you're comparing two possibilities for how a medical school will act, you simply assume the option that takes the longest and you'll be right 95% of the time.

Based on extensive research (looking at forums from previous years lol) the waitlist notifications comes via email. Last year they found out April 3rd however the year before that it was April 14th.

Based on extensive research (looking at forums from previous years lol) the waitlist notifications comes via email. Last year they found out April 3rd however the year before that it was April 14th.

Thanks for posting this!

This process especially sucks because I just have no clue where I stand. Maybe I'm in the "easy rejection" pile, maybe I'm in the top of the alternate list, maybe I'm right in the middle. Makes me oscillate between confidence and despair pretty quickly. I'd be close to jumping off a cliff if I didn't have a DO acceptance in my back pocket.