2016-2017 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

M2 here, ready and willing to help everyone out. Go Noles!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm gearing up to apply once it opens! Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Goo luck on the MCAT Nole17. Love your profile pic btw

Question for the M2 student, what were your thoughts on starting medical school in the summer?

1. flowersz I loved it. It was a lot though. Intense. But I loved it. It decompresses the entire year, while the rest of the country is doing anatomy with everything else, ou knock it out on your own

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, incoming M1 here. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have so feel free to ask.

Hard to believe that this time last year I was in your shoes...hang in there, the cycle will be over before you know it. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions lol.

I just got my mcat score back and it was a 512 ( 32 on old scale). I have a 3.9 GPA and have lived in Tallahassee most of my life.

I have volunteering experience in tallahassee ( 150 hrs orphanage, 150 hrs hospice), tutoring unpaid ( 5oo hrs),TA unpaid ( 500 hrs), and have 1 research pub.

Do I have a good chance of acceptance? or is FSU looking for something else? This is my top choice due to the location and low tuition.

Thanks guys! Hope to join yall next year :)

Your stats are good for just about any school you want to apply to. In my own opinion, FSU actually looks for students whose goals & life experiences mirror their mission statement. Although the entire application process can be unpredictable, if you write good, meaningful, sincere essays (obviously) & have good LOR's then I'm sure you'll have a great shot at any IS school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Im taking my MCAT August 19th and applying in September as soon as I get my score. Will applying that late hurt my chances of getting accepted?

Hi! Im taking my MCAT August 19th and applying in September as soon as I get my score. Will applying that late hurt my chances of getting accepted?

Probably not. There are several people in my class that I've talked to that applied much later than that. Hard to say though, as the "earlier the better" is always the best approach and med school admissions is always a crap shoot. Just do well on your MCAT and polish up your essays. August isn't really that late in terms of the whole cycle.

@Saxappeal1 @Dr. Janitor

How much does FSU value volunteering in the tallahassee or north Florida region?

I have an opportunity to have a volunteering experience in another state. I could also stay here and continue volunteering at Hospice.

Also, any particular good places to volunteer that show you are interested in serving under served communities? Drawing a blank for places to volunteer right now lol

In my opinion, I don't think it really matters where (in terms of state) but more so about what type of experience it is and how meaningful it is to you/how it will help you grow. Volunteering is an opportunity to make yourself and your app more diverse.

For instance, EVERYONE (it seems) does dance marathon or some other generic pre-med gig which is fine, but that won't make your app diverse. If you look at the FSUCOM Web page you can look at student profiles and see what each student did prior to med school. Some of us did rural mission trips outside of Florida, some people were teachers, some volunteered as far away as Chicago....so I say go for it if it'll be a unique experience and will help you grow as a person.

In my opinion, I don't think it really matters where (in terms of state) but more so about what type of experience it is and how meaningful it is to you/how it will help you grow. Volunteering is an opportunity to make yourself and your app more diverse.

For instance, EVERYONE (it seems) does dance marathon or some other generic pre-med gig which is fine, but that won't make your app diverse. If you look at the FSUCOM Web page you can look at student profiles and see what each student did prior to med school. Some of us did rural mission trips outside of Florida, some people were teachers, some volunteered as far away as Chicago....so I say go for it if it'll be a unique experience and will help you grow as a person.
Even go start a unicycling club. That's unique!

@Saxappeal1 @Dr. Janitor

How much does FSU value volunteering in the tallahassee or north Florida region?

I have an opportunity to have a volunteering experience in another state. I could also stay here and continue volunteering at Hospice.

Also, any particular good places to volunteer that show you are interested in serving under served communities? Drawing a blank for places to volunteer right now lol

OP as long as you are passionate about you volunteering, do it well, and do it for long enough, it doesn't matter where as long as you can talk about it in your interview IMO

Just poking my head in here! Went to FSU for undergrad and lived in the area for several years afterwards! Excited to apply here this cycle even though I'm no longer a FL resident and am now against the scant OOS chance of getting in. :nailbiting:

Here's to a $0 secondary!

Any current students able to comment on how FSU views post-bacc or SMPs? Also, does anyone know when secondaries will be sent out?

Elevatone FSU COM can view SMPs well if you do well in them and got a lot out of them, we have a number of people in our class and the class above us that came from SMPs. As for secondaries, those are usually sent out in early July I think

Elevatone FSU COM can view SMPs well if you do well in them and got a lot out of them, we have a number of people in our class and the class above us that came from SMPs. As for secondaries, those are usually sent out in early July I think
Thanks for the reply. Not sure if you heard of it, but I did the VCU CERT program. I finished with a 4.0. It's my 28 MCAT that's killing me now...

Has anyone verified received an FSU secondary for regular decision yet?

elevatone there are plenty of people in my year who fit your description. Are you a Florida resident/native?

Any current students able to comment on how FSU views post-bacc or SMPs? Also, does anyone know when secondaries will be sent out?

I, along with a good number of people in my class and the class above me, did a SMP. If you go on the FSUCOM webpage you can look at students individual profiles and see where current students went to undergrad & grad school.

elevatone there are plenty of people in my year who fit your description. Are you a Florida resident/native?

Nope :/

I'm all the way up here in VA. According to MSAR you guys are more OOS friendly than other FL schools. I just love it down there. I vacation there at least once a year.

You guys think I have a shot at this school? 505 MCAT 127 126 127 125 with a 3.55 GPA, solid EC's, publication, award for research presentation, founder and president of 150+ member student organization, and the normal hospital volunteering and physician shadowing.

You guys think I have a shot at this school? 505 MCAT 127 126 127 125 with a 3.55 GPA, solid EC's, publication, award for research presentation, founder and president of 150+ member student organization, and the normal hospital volunteering and physician shadowing.
Where are you from?

Nope :/

I'm all the way up here in VA. According to MSAR you guys are more OOS friendly than other FL schools. I just love it down there. I vacation there at least once a year.
Florida State is the least friendly school to OOS applicants. FSUCOM accepted 2 last year and the year before was like 1.

Really excited to be reapplying this year. IS applicant, 506 MCAT (128, 126, 126, 126), 3.68GPA, 3 years of undergraduate research, 2 publications, 100+ hours of hospital volunteering, 500+ hours of physician shadowing, and currently working as a clinical research/medical assistant to a neurosurgeon during my gap year. FSU is one of my top choices and I'm anxious to receive the secondary app! I hope they show me some love! You guys think I have a shot?

Really excited to be reapplying this year. IS applicant, 506 MCAT (128, 126, 126, 126), 3.68GPA, 3 years of undergraduate research, 2 publications, 100+ hours of hospital volunteering, 500+ hours of physician shadowing, and currently working as a clinical research/medical assistant to a neurosurgeon during my gap year. FSU is one of my top choices and I'm anxious to receive the secondary app! I hope they show me some love! You guys think I have a shot?
Do you have any work with underserved populations? Or anything along those lines? You definitely have a chance but your chances would be higher if you did have these kind of experiences @redfalconx

Do you have any work with underserved populations? Or anything along those lines? You definitely have a chance but your chances would be higher if you did have these kind of experiences @redfalconx
Yes, Ive worked in a blind clinic in India, does that count?

Yes, Ive worked in a blind clinic in India, does that count?
Of course! FSU is mission driven. You're statistics are more than good enough. Now it's just a matter of how you present yourself to the admissions committee

Of course! FSU is mission driven. You're statistics are more than good enough. Now it's just a matter of how you present yourself to the admissions committee
any tips on that? Also do you recommend I do early decision?

Do you have any work with underserved populations? Or anything along those lines? You definitely have a chance but your chances would be higher if you did have these kind of experiences

Yes, I've also begun volunteering as a medical assistant at a free clinic in FL! I'll make sure to highlight this in my secondary app. Thanks for the advice!

any tips on that? Also do you recommend I do early decision?
I actually wouldn't recommend it unless you're dead set on it. Additionally, have you looked up the requirements to apply ED at FSU?

Newstudent345 no, I wouldn't worry unless you are extremely out of their average stats on MSAR.

I actually wouldn't recommend it unless you're dead set on it. Additionally, have you looked up the requirements to apply ED at FSU?
Well solely looking at my MCAT score, I believe my best shot at a FL MD is FSU. Also, I looked all over the site and couldnt see any early decision MCAT requirement. If there is one, could you let me know? Ill try to contact the school today to find out. On their site, they listed their average accepted score was a 505, so I do have a good chance granting I present myself well enough to the admissions committee.

They usually try to take in the most competitive applicants for Early Decision (this is true for most med schools).

FSU is very In-state biased (one can see this on previous application threads). Probably wouldn't apply if out of state.

Secondary received today at 1:49 PM! Apparently, there is a $30 application fee this cycle. Bummer.

Reactions: 2 users