2016-2017 Mayo Medical School (MN) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Last year a lot of them were on 1/15, some on 1/16. I haven't looked whether they made appointments prior to those two dates.

Historically, interview season went from August/September to December and maybe early January. A small handful of appointments were made every month or so following Oct 15 while everybody else was put on hold. Half(ish) of the class was full by January and the class was filled in a big wave in January. Waitlist formed and rejections sent thereafter.
 
Historically, interview season went from August/September to December and maybe early January. A small handful of appointments were made every month or so following Oct 15 while everybody else was put on hold. Half(ish) of the class was full by January and the class was filled in a big wave in January. Waitlist formed and rejections sent thereafter.
Since the pattern was so different last year, I think it will be of less use to predict the pattern this year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SDN Mayo Report as of 9:00 p.m. (eastern)

Arizona (8 appointments):
csdanim – received likely letter
GrumpyGus – received likely letter
Gurby – received likely letter
Wisco41 – received likely letter
ChrisMack390 – received likely letter
LetsDrift - received likely letter
Smash Williams - received likely letter
brunodude – no likely letter; however, interviewed in January (no time to mail a likely letter)

Minnesota (8 appointments):

O.T.I. – received likely letter
Stargazerlily1990 – received likely letter
Cheezit - received likely letter
BearMD428 – received likely letter
airbornedude – received likely letter
LeweezeB – received likely letter
Autotoxicus – received likely letter
namaste08 - no likely letter; however, received an interest inquiry e-mail
 
It wouldn't make sense for them to call after 9 PM in a time zone
Guess that's it :/
 
Last year someone posted that her interviewer received the tacceptance call at 8pm rochester time

Based on 8 appointments showing up on SDN for each campus (with SDN being a limited portion of the total applicant pool) and that calls were only made for the second half of today, I'm guessing that they'll be able to finish up all calls tomorrow for the initial round of acceptances. Keeping my fingers crossed, but having interviewed prior to the holidays and not being a recipient of a likely letter or an interest inquiry e-mail, I'm not overly confident.
 
Received a likely letter but no acceptance from Arizona campus (did not interview at the Minnesota campus). I'm abroad though if that makes any difference.
 
SDN Mayo Report as of 9:30 p.m. (eastern)

Arizona (9 appointments):
csdanim – received likely letter
GrumpyGus – received likely letter
Gurby – received likely letter
Wisco41 – received likely letter
ChrisMack390 – received likely letter
LetsDrift - received likely letter
Pre-MD/MPH - received likely letter
Smash Williams - received likely letter
brunodude – no likely letter; however, interviewed in January (no time to mail a likely letter)

Minnesota (8 appointments):
O.T.I. – received likely letter
Stargazerlily1990 – received likely letter
Cheezit - received likely letter
BearMD428 – received likely letter
airbornedude – received likely letter
LeweezeB – received likely letter
Autotoxicus – received likely letter
namaste08 - no likely letter; however, received an interest inquiry e-mail
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that's my point. What are the chances that there are 8 each and no doubles. Just interesting. I'm not making any assumptions from it.

I am not sure what you're implying, but I wondered if MN and AZ coordinate together to prevent double acceptances, but Gina confirmed today that they are totally independent.
 
I am not sure what you're implying, but I wondered if MN and AZ coordinate together to prevent double acceptances, but Gina confirmed today that they are totally independent.
I'm not implying anything that's why I said I'm not making any assumptions from it. Its just an interesting statistic.
 
I am not sure what you're implying, but I wondered if MN and AZ coordinate together to prevent double acceptances, but Gina confirmed today that they are totally independent.

With how much Mayo has shown that it cares about yield protection (interest inquiry emails, required letters of interest/intent, etc.), it seems kinda strange that there is no overlap. Of course we have a limited portion of the overall sample, so maybe there is in fact overlap.

Edit: Once again, this is just another case of me not being able to fully comprehend the black-box of medical school admissions.
 
Last edited:
In all honesty, I think that what you all are calling "likely letters" are not very significant. They were very generic and ad-libbed essentially two personalized words from my application. The emails people are getting asking about continued interest, on the other hand (at least for me), were very personalized and definitely hinted at an acceptance. Regardless of whether you received the emails and letters, everyone needs to relax. If you are destined to get accepted then you will get accepted. Worrying excessively will not improve your chances of getting in.
 
With how much Mayo has shown that it cares about yield protection (interest inquiry emails, required letters of interest/intent, etc.), it seems kinda fishy that there is no overlap. Of course we have a limited portion of the overall sample, so maybe there is in fact overlap.

Edit: Once again, this is just another case of me not being able to full comprehend the black-box of medical admissions.
Tbh, I'm content to just wait and see at this point. All this speculation hasn't helped me very much and frankly, we won't really know the answers to this or most other questions we have. Full disclosure, I interviewed at the very tail end so I don't have letters received/not received to worry about.
 
Yikes, realized I sound kind of rude. What I meant is speculation is stressing me out more than just waiting. Also, counting the "taken" spots is making me happy for others but internally panicking at my decreasing shots lol. But I'm grateful there are others willing to make the data available to all.
 
for those who haven't heard back yet, don't lose hope yet. It's not over til it's over. Also, a bunch of people in my class were initially waitlisted. just throwing that out there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh how I would love to get caught in the storm in this metaphor


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was picturing the storm as waiting anxiously with no hope of escape and no shelter with hail raining down upon us. An acceptance would be something like the storm passing over you or finding an underground bunker. At least that's what I thought. You can have whatever analogy you'd like.
 
I would love to see the picture but alas I cannot.
1j5z52.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think it'd be okay to call and check if there are any more acceptances going out today?
Someone in the AZ thread just said they missed a call from Mayo. I'd say as a rule decisions are still being given until you get an email saying you are accepted, waitlisted or rejected. On a different note if you decide you must call we would love to know any cool new info you might glean from admissions.