2016-2017 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email saying I have an interview this fall but won't hear the exact date until about 2 weeks prior to the interview. Odd, but I'll take it!

+1!! Hope to find out soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
+1, but got another email right after with a date. OOS, complete late August, close in-state ties.

Their status website says they don't review OOS until November and December. Is your interview in the Spring? Regardless, congratulations!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II, I'm IS, did anyone else get assigned an "outside interviewer" in addition to the 2 interviewers on the interview day?

Got the interview invitation with a TBA date. That makes all SC MD schools! Really excited.

What are your stats?
LizzyM >78

Their status website says they don't review OOS until November and December. Is your interview in the Spring? Regardless, congratulations!

Yeah, my status website said that too. The only explanation I could come up with is that I requested "close ties consideration," so that might make them consider my OOS app more IS. That's just a guess though; they didn't offer any explanation. But thank you!

Got the interview invite today also! Any advice from people who have already interviewed?? Any specific topics I should brush up on?? Thanks!!

Just got an II, I'm IS, did anyone else get assigned an "outside interviewer" in addition to the 2 interviewers on the interview day?
I'm also IS and got assigned an outside interviewer who works near my school

I don't think they look at out of state until November

Got the interview invite today also! Any advice from people who have already interviewed?? Any specific topics I should brush up on?? Thanks!!

When's your interview? I didn't receive any tough questions about policies or ethics. I think the more meaningful (and difficult) questions that I was asked were:

"What do you think makes a good teacher? What about a good student? How do those qualities relate to being a doctor?"

"What would you tell yourself at the beginning of college to do differently or change? Why/how did you learn this?"

"How have you matured since graduating from college?"

These Qs may have just been unique to my interviewers, but from my impression, the interviewers are just looking to have a thoughtful, friendly conversation with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
When's your interview? I didn't receive any tough questions about policies or ethics. I think the more meaningful (and difficult) questions that I was asked were:

"What do you think makes a good teacher? What about a good student? How do those qualities relate to being a doctor?"

"What would you tell yourself at the beginning of college to do differently or change? Why/how did you learn this?"

"How have you matured since graduating from college?"

These Qs may have just been unique to my interviewers, but from my impression, the interviewers are just looking to have a thoughtful, friendly conversation with you.

Thanks so much!! The email just said "fall" so I'm waiting on an email with the date!

Thanks so much!! The email just said "fall" so I'm waiting on an email with the date!
Me too! I got a similar one from USC-Columbia that just specified "Spring semester." USC-Greenville is the only one who has given me a precise date thus far.

Now that I think about it, it might be good to brush up a little on the Affordable Care Act and what the landscape of healthcare coverage is looking like in South Carolina. I actually do some work related to that now but having some more in-depth knowledge about policy issues with Medicaid expansion and insurers dropping out was helpful and I think impressive to one of my interviewers.

Also, I'd suggest thinking of some good questions to ask your interviewers. A couple of good ones that I used were "What do you think are the biggest challenges facing doctors in this day and age?" and "What do you like about your specialty and scope of work / would you do it again?"

Me too! I got a similar one from USC-Columbia that just specified "Spring semester." USC-Greenville is the only one who has given me a precise date thus far.[/QUOTE
Now that I think about it, it might be good to brush up a little on the Affordable Care Act and what the landscape of healthcare coverage is looking like in South Carolina. I actually do some work related to that now but having some more in-depth knowledge about policy issues with Medicaid expansion and insurers dropping out was helpful and I think impressive to one of my interviewers.

Also, I'd suggest thinking of some good questions to ask your interviewers. A couple of good ones that I used were "What do you think are the biggest challenges facing doctors in this day and age?" and "What do you like about your specialty and scope of work / would you do it again?"

Me too! I got a similar one from USC-Columbia that just specified "Spring semester." USC-Greenville is the only one who has given me a precise date thus far.

When did you get your Greenville invite? I'm still waiting on that one! (hopefully)

When did you get your Greenville invite? I'm still waiting on that one! (hopefully)
I think I got the invite like a week and a half ago or so. Columbia came a week before, and MUSC came the day after Greenville.

I think I got the invite like a week and a half ago or so. Columbia came a week before, and MUSC came the day after Greenville.

When was your secondary submitted to Greenville? I'm getting a little nervous about that one!

When was your secondary submitted to Greenville? I'm getting a little nervous about that one!
Early August. Maybe the second week of August. It was the last one I sent in because I kept changing my essay for the "patient centered care" prompt.

Don't stress too much. I didn't think I'd get any interviews until I did. Try to hang in there.

For those who already interviewed, I know there are 2 interviews scheduled on the day, how long were they approximately?

Anyone have any recent match lists from this school or know where I can get one? A login is required on their website and I'd love to see where their graduates are matching, thanks!

For those who already interviewed, I know there are 2 interviews scheduled on the day, how long were they approximately?

I threw away my schedule from my interview so I don't remember exactly, but mine were ~half an hour each I think

Is there a status check for this school? & are the chances for OOS with no ties to get an II low?

Do the people who interview know how long it takes for you to hear back on their decision?

Has anyone who got the generic "fall interview" still not received a date?

Do the people who interview know how long it takes for you to hear back on their decision?

It could be anytime I think. Pretty sure the admissions committee meets the last Tuesday or Wednesday of every month to discuss interviewees and make decisions, and then they make calls/emails the next few days after every meeting.

Any current students willing to answer some questions? I recently got accepted here (and AnMed). I can message you!

Can any current students answer some questions for me as well? Interviewed here recently and liked it a whole lot more than I expected to, but now I am having a hard time deciding which IS school is right for me. Thank you!

Any OOS applicants hear anything yet?

Last edited:
Anyone know if the outside interviews are open or closed file? Doesn't really matter too much, but I'm just curious.

Anyone know if the outside interviews are open or closed file? Doesn't really matter too much, but I'm just curious.

Everyone I've spoken to has said it's closed file, but that may just be because the providers didn't have time to review available files.

My outside interviewer told me that he read everything except for my grades

I got my interview invite a few weeks ago I have pretty close ties though

Has anyone with the generic "fall invite" heard anything back? I'm still waiting for a date!

Any OOS hearing anything back about interviews? I figured a few would have come out by now since it's late November

Will this school reject after the interview as well, or just put you on "hold" like some of the other schools?

Will this school reject after the interview as well, or just put you on "hold" like some of the other schools?

They have a formula for grading applicants who get interviews. 4 main components: MCAT, GPA (weighted by "tier" of school), interview ratings, and an "added value" sort of component, from what I remember. Each is weighted about equally.

They set a cutoff point from the cumulative score where applicants above the cutoff are accepted and those below are put in a hold status. After all interviews are conducted and the above-cutoff applicants are accepted, those near the threshold are accepted

Do those of you accepted mind sharing your stats?

I generally don't think this is helpful for people, but since it's relevant to my above message and their scoring system, I'll share. 3.5 c/sGPA, 39 MCAT, slightly non-trad

Last edited:
They have a formula for grading applicants who get interviews. 4 main components: MCAT, GPA (weighted by "tier" of school), interview ratings, and an "added value" sort of component, from what I remember. Each is weighted about equally.

I don't think the added value is considered as part of the base formula. I think it is MCAT, GPA, AMCAS and ECs, and interviews. Dr. Underwood described the added value as "bonus points" added to that cumulative score. I may be misremembering though. Other that that, everything is weighted 25%, and the numbers go into a computer that spits out the list of those accepted.

Congrats on the acceptance by the way, dbgehle!