2016-2017 Medical University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an e-mail saying I was placed on the alternate list a few hours ago! interviewed in early November

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an e-mail saying I was placed on the alternate list a few hours ago! interviewed in early November

Is there a good chance of acceptance off the alternate list? How many ppl are typically placed on the alternate list?

Is there a good chance of acceptance off the alternate list? How many ppl are typically placed on the alternate list?
When I interviewed, Dr. Underwood gave the impression that those on the wait list stood a good chance of getting in. Nothing's guaranteed, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Fingers crossed that you're high up on the list.

Hey everyone. M1 here at MUSC currently struggling through Neuro block. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the school, M1 year, the way grading works, or anything else. Good luck in your application process!

If anybody is on the IS waitlist, a spot will be coming open. It was a very tough decision, but I have decided to go to USC-Columbia for logistical reasons. GOOD LUCK!

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet? Just trying to see what the movement is like so far! Im on the OOS one so waiting anxiously

Have an admitted students received any correspondence from the school like the tuition bill?

Have an admitted students received any correspondence from the school like the tuition bill?

I've gotten financial aid info and the scholarship application

Shameless plug....leaving my job as a scribe in Charleston to start MUSC in Aug. Need a replacement, specifically female taking a gap year before med school. Message me if interested.

Edit: Maybe worth mentioning why specifically female premed....my boss truly enjoys mentoring young women pursuing a career in medicine and I am just helping her find someone. Not a traditional scribe program.

Last edited:
Is this school really difficult to get into as an OOS applicant? I am AA Female with 3.5uw 3.3 science gpa, 499 mcat.
All medical schools whether you're IS or OOS are hard to get into. If you're applying from OOS, you should have a strong connection to either the state or the city that the school is in. Also, for med schools in general, you probably want to have around a 3.7uw and be around the 80th percentile for the MCAT

Is this school really difficult to get into as an OOS applicant? I am AA Female with 3.5uw 3.3 science gpa, 499 mcat.
Yes. Less than 20% of the class is OOS (probably ~20 spots) and like 3000 or 4000 people apply OOS. Check MSAR. Those accepted typically have strong ties to the state and/or great stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there's been any movement on the waitlist so far? Last year's thread had a few people getting in around mid-April

Yes. Less than 20% of the class is OOS (probably ~20 spots) and like 3000 or 4000 people apply OOS. Check MSAR. Those accepted typically have strong ties to the state and/or great stats.

I was under the impression they hardly even took 5% OOS but perhaps that's an old or inaccurate stat.

I was under the impression they hardly even took 5% OOS but perhaps that's an old or inaccurate stat.
MUSC College of Medicine Facts and Stats

This page says 19 out of the current 166 M1s are OOS. So maybe closer to 10%. I believe most public (state) programs cap the number of OOS students since IS tuition is subsidized by tax dollars.

Reactions: 1 users
BUMP ... has anyone heard anyone getting off the list yet?/ how far down the list do they usually get?

The MSAR says that they put 25-30 people on the waitlist and typically end up accepting 15.

The MSAR says that they put 25-30 people on the waitlist and typically end up accepting 15.

Keep in mind all the SC schools had a huge boost in applicants relative to last year (according to admissions). There might be more on the wait-list this time.

Why was that boost seen this year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Could be anything.

I would have to guess its the addition of Gville becoming a quite strong school in a short time, as well as Columbia getting new funding to relocate and upgrade, etc.

All of the schools received over 4.3-4.4k apps which (to my knowledge) doesn't happen often.

They simply kept saying how massive the applicant class was this cycle.

As anyone heard anything about people getting off the waitlist yet?

Accepted IS off the alternate list today.

I got off of the OOS alternate list yesterday good luck everyone!

Anyone heard of any other waitlist movement?

I doubt anybody who chose another school is still on here, but for those who declined a seat prior to April 30th receive their deposit back yet? If so, how long did it take. It has been well over a month and still nothing.

Did anyone apply to MUSC September or later in the cycle? I'm super scared because I need to study a bit more to hit the 510+ mark before completing my application. Also, when do you think is the latest for MUSC..?