2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hold pool via portal 3/20. :nailbiting: Interviewed 12/14.

Members don't see this ad.

I got an interview for the very last available date! Really hoping to get in here; I was born in Oregon and would love to revisit the homeland.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!! Found out yesterday via portal. Interviewed Jan 18th.

I feel so thankful to get into my dream school. It's been a long journey to get here. I can't wait to start this August!!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Put on hold via portal 3/20, interviewed 2/10. Yay more waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! Found out yesterday via portal. Interviewed Jan 18th.

I feel so thankful to get into my dream school. It's been a long journey to get here. I can't wait to start this August!!
Congrats!! stats if you don't mind sharing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I win - interview on 9/16 here and hold on 10/25 (first day of interviews). So. Much. Waiting.

the wait is too real. int. 9/23, hold 11/18.

Same. I've all but decided I'm going elsewhere at this point, but as an OR resident, this is my longtime dream school and I just want to hear a decision, regardless of outcome.

Does the online portal change to show you turned in the signed acceptance form and technical standards form? Thanks!!

Does the online portal change to show you turned in the signed acceptance form and technical standards form? Thanks!!
Mine updated after they got all of the required forms that you have to mail in. I also sent in my transcript around the same time and it shows that they got that as well, so I don't know if you have to have the forms you signed and the transcripts for them to update it? It'll change quite a bit after they get everything, you'll see a list of required classes you should have completed and there will be a spot for you to fill out white coat info. It took just about 3 weeks for mine to update after I sent everything, so if it has been longer than that I would call. Hope this helps!

Mine updated after they got all of the required forms that you have to mail in. I also sent in my transcript around the same time and it shows that they got that as well, so I don't know if you have to have the forms you signed and the transcripts for them to update it? It'll change quite a bit after they get everything, you'll see a list of required classes you should have completed and there will be a spot for you to fill out white coat info. It took just about 3 weeks for mine to update after I sent everything, so if it has been longer than that I would call. Hope this helps!
It does help! Thank you!

Question for current students -- do most people live with roommates?? If you have a roommate, how did you meet them? The Facebook group?

Im interested in living with a roommate but not sure of how to go about it and how to make sure it's the right fit! I'd love to hear other peoples pros and cons for living alone vs with a roommate :)

Question for current students -- do most people live with roommates?? If you have a roommate, how did you meet them? The Facebook group?

Im interested in living with a roommate but not sure of how to go about it and how to make sure it's the right fit! I'd love to hear other peoples pros and cons for living alone vs with a roommate :)
+1

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else feel like they are going to vomit every time they think about this wait?

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!! stats if you don't mind sharing?

Accepted 8 weeks after interview. I felt like the one-on-one interview and the MMI both very well, though not perfectly. I'd rate my one-one-one interview as 9/10 and my MMI as 7/10. I am an Oregon resident as well.

MCAT = 518
Post Bac gpa = 3.9
Undergrad gpa = 3.0
Teach For America teaching background

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted 8 weeks after interview. I felt like the one-on-one interview and the MMI both very well, though not perfectly. I'd rate my one-one-one interview as 9/10 and my MMI as 7/10. I am an Oregon resident as well.

MCAT = 518
Post Bac gpa = 3.9
Undergrad gpa = 3.0
Teach For America teaching background
Did you get a letter, email, or portal update?

Just put OOS but I am pretty sure I also fall in the Diversity Mission Group.

Last edited:
Just got accepted via portal update!!! :) Never posted on this forum before but I've been looking at it obsessively since my interview and I thought people would like to know so that I can be another data point for obsessive comparisons.

IS, living & working in SE Portland. Complete in September. Received my II via email in early February, Interviewed 3/1.

I think my Lizzy M is like 69 or something? It feels obnoxious to say, but both my MMI and one-on-one felt like they went extremely well. Honestly not sure if they could've gone better. Happy to answer any other questions. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
See the attached picture from the booklet they will give you on your interview day. So ~$67K for residents and ~88K for non-residents.
View attachment 214551

Sorry to bring this back up but I think I caught an error in this booklet. If you total Annual Tuition, Fees & Insurance, Financial Aid Allowances, you get $69,072, not $67,072.

To follow up on this, my "acceptance contract received" thing updated without me having sent in my transcripts yet. Mine only took less than a weel for them to document it was received.

To follow up on this, my "acceptance contract received" thing updated without me having sent in my transcripts yet. Mine only took less than a weel for them to document it was received.
Thanks! My portal was updated on Tuesday so I can breathe easy now :)

When your portal was updated for hold or acceptance (but not for rejection, because we all deserve to be loved) post-interview, did you get an e-mail about it? Was it timely, i.e. did anyone have their portal updated but not get an e-mail? I am checking my portal like a mad person and I don't feel like it's healthy...

When your portal was updated for hold or acceptance (but not for rejection, because we all deserve to be loved) post-interview, did you get an e-mail about it? Was it timely, i.e. did anyone have their portal updated but not get an e-mail? I am checking my portal like a mad person and I don't feel like it's healthy...

For getting put on hold, I did not get an email.
Also still checking my portal even though I got put on hold... cause just maybe

The portal is the first thing that will update. Then you'll get an email for an acceptance. They say it can be up to a week for you to receive the email. I got mine two days after the portal update.

From what I've gathered, today was the last day of interviews, correct? Maybe they will get a move on making some more decisions!

The portal is the first thing that will update. Then you'll get an email for an acceptance. They say it can be up to a week for you to receive the email. I got mine two days after the portal update.

Same here for acceptance. Portal updated first, then received an email the next day.

I don't know if anyone else has plunged into last year's thread, but I was reading that they didn't really follow the 10-80-10 rule last year, even though they said they would. It seems like instead they tried to fill the majority of their class throughout the interviewing process, and then at the end of April, they didn't offer the bundle of acceptances to people in the hold pool like everyone thought they would because they'd already filled a big chunk of their spots throughout the year. Instead they either rejected hold pool people or gave them a number rank, and then they let in approximately the top 50 ranked people from May through July/early August. I'm really hoping I'm missing something from last year's thread but that's what I got. Can anyone else confirm or contradict?

I don't know if anyone else has plunged into last year's thread, but I was reading that they didn't really follow the 10-80-10 rule last year, even though they said they would. It seems like instead they tried to fill the majority of their class throughout the interviewing process, and then at the end of April, they didn't offer the bundle of acceptances to people in the hold pool like everyone thought they would because they'd already filled a big chunk of their spots throughout the year. Instead they either rejected hold pool people or gave them a number rank, and then they let in approximately the top 50 ranked people from May through July/early August. I'm really hoping I'm missing something from last year's thread but that's what I got. Can anyone else confirm or contradict?

That's certainly the impression that I have. It's additionally concerning that while in previous years, they've admitted applicants from the hold pool throughout the interview cycle, this year that appears not to have happened (at least, so far as this forum is concerned). I'm operating under the assumption that this year, the hold pool is equivalent with rejection, at least for the majority of us.

Last edited:
That's certainly the impression that I have. It's additionally concerning that while in previous years, they've admitted applicants from the hold pool throughout the interview cycle, this year that appears not to have happened (at least, so far as this forum is concerned). I'm operating the assumption that this year, the hold pool is equivalent with rejection, at least for the majority of us.
Well that sucks. Guess I should start mentally preparing now to move across the country far from my family and friends and to pay significantly more in tuition.

Well that sucks. Guess I should start mentally preparing now to move across the country far from my family and friends and to pay significantly more in tuition.

That's what I'm doing, and from the tone of your post I'm guessing we both feel the same way about it... :(

From what I understood, for the past two years they have done one last round of acceptances about a week before the April 30th deadline (people came out of the hold pool), so that they go into April 30th with their max amount of acceptances out. Then they either reject or wait list people, and the top 50 generally get in.

From what I understood, for the past two years they have done one last round of acceptances about a week before the April 30th deadline (people came out of the hold pool), so that they go into April 30th with their max amount of acceptances out. Then they either reject or wait list people, and the top 50 generally get in.
That's what I'm hoping for! I don't understand why they tell everyone about this 10-80-10 equation if it's not true. And by my math it can't be true. They say they've interviewed ~550 people total this year. 10% of that is 55, so only 55 should have been offered acceptances and 55 should have been rejected. That leaves 440 for the hold pool. The class target size is ~153. We know not everyone who's offered admission accepts, so they should theoretically offer admission to >200 people from the hold pool... that was the assumption I was operating under until I started reading through last year's thread, where I found that only the top 50-some ranked people were offered admission. I'm hoping they send out a flurry of acceptances to hold pool people prior to April 30 but last year's thread had me seriously doubting.

That's what I'm hoping for! I don't understand why they tell everyone about this 10-80-10 equation if it's not true. And by my math it can't be true. They say they've interviewed ~550 people total this year. 10% of that is 55, so only 55 should have been offered acceptances and 55 should have been rejected. That leaves 440 for the hold pool. The class target size is ~153. We know not everyone who's offered admission accepts, so they should theoretically offer admission to >200 people from the hold pool... that was the assumption I was operating under until I started reading through last year's thread, where I found that only the top 50-some ranked people were offered admission. I'm hoping they send out a flurry of acceptances to hold pool people prior to April 30 but last year's thread had me seriously doubting.
From my understanding is that everyone who scores up in the 90th percentile threshold will get an acceptance. However, during my interview, OHSU also said that they will move the threshold lower as they please. I assume that they'll move the threshold down lower as we progress through the admission year and therefore leaving 40-60 people on the wait-list that will receive an acceptance.

It seems that they've accepted less people outright this year than last year.

Also according to usnw, they accept 44% post interview.

Also this was my only II this cycle so really hoping I don't have to reapply...