2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the online portal change to show you turned in the signed acceptance form and technical standards form? Thanks!!
 
Does the online portal change to show you turned in the signed acceptance form and technical standards form? Thanks!!
Mine updated after they got all of the required forms that you have to mail in. I also sent in my transcript around the same time and it shows that they got that as well, so I don't know if you have to have the forms you signed and the transcripts for them to update it? It'll change quite a bit after they get everything, you'll see a list of required classes you should have completed and there will be a spot for you to fill out white coat info. It took just about 3 weeks for mine to update after I sent everything, so if it has been longer than that I would call. Hope this helps!
 
Mine updated after they got all of the required forms that you have to mail in. I also sent in my transcript around the same time and it shows that they got that as well, so I don't know if you have to have the forms you signed and the transcripts for them to update it? It'll change quite a bit after they get everything, you'll see a list of required classes you should have completed and there will be a spot for you to fill out white coat info. It took just about 3 weeks for mine to update after I sent everything, so if it has been longer than that I would call. Hope this helps!
It does help! Thank you!
 
Question for current students -- do most people live with roommates?? If you have a roommate, how did you meet them? The Facebook group?

Im interested in living with a roommate but not sure of how to go about it and how to make sure it's the right fit! I'd love to hear other peoples pros and cons for living alone vs with a roommate 🙂
 
Question for current students -- do most people live with roommates?? If you have a roommate, how did you meet them? The Facebook group?

Im interested in living with a roommate but not sure of how to go about it and how to make sure it's the right fit! I'd love to hear other peoples pros and cons for living alone vs with a roommate 🙂
+1
 
Congrats!! stats if you don't mind sharing?

Accepted 8 weeks after interview. I felt like the one-on-one interview and the MMI both very well, though not perfectly. I'd rate my one-one-one interview as 9/10 and my MMI as 7/10. I am an Oregon resident as well.

MCAT = 518
Post Bac gpa = 3.9
Undergrad gpa = 3.0
Teach For America teaching background
 
Accepted 8 weeks after interview. I felt like the one-on-one interview and the MMI both very well, though not perfectly. I'd rate my one-one-one interview as 9/10 and my MMI as 7/10. I am an Oregon resident as well.

MCAT = 518
Post Bac gpa = 3.9
Undergrad gpa = 3.0
Teach For America teaching background
Did you get a letter, email, or portal update?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got accepted via portal update!!! 🙂 Never posted on this forum before but I've been looking at it obsessively since my interview and I thought people would like to know so that I can be another data point for obsessive comparisons.

IS, living & working in SE Portland. Complete in September. Received my II via email in early February, Interviewed 3/1.

I think my Lizzy M is like 69 or something? It feels obnoxious to say, but both my MMI and one-on-one felt like they went extremely well. Honestly not sure if they could've gone better. Happy to answer any other questions. Good luck everyone!
 
Mine updated after they got all of the required forms that you have to mail in. I also sent in my transcript around the same time and it shows that they got that as well, so I don't know if you have to have the forms you signed and the transcripts for them to update it? It'll change quite a bit after they get everything, you'll see a list of required classes you should have completed and there will be a spot for you to fill out white coat info. It took just about 3 weeks for mine to update after I sent everything, so if it has been longer than that I would call. Hope this helps!
To follow up on this, my "acceptance contract received" thing updated without me having sent in my transcripts yet. Mine only took less than a weel for them to document it was received.
 
To follow up on this, my "acceptance contract received" thing updated without me having sent in my transcripts yet. Mine only took less than a weel for them to document it was received.
Thanks! My portal was updated on Tuesday so I can breathe easy now 🙂
 
When your portal was updated for hold or acceptance (but not for rejection, because we all deserve to be loved) post-interview, did you get an e-mail about it? Was it timely, i.e. did anyone have their portal updated but not get an e-mail? I am checking my portal like a mad person and I don't feel like it's healthy...
 
When your portal was updated for hold or acceptance (but not for rejection, because we all deserve to be loved) post-interview, did you get an e-mail about it? Was it timely, i.e. did anyone have their portal updated but not get an e-mail? I am checking my portal like a mad person and I don't feel like it's healthy...

For getting put on hold, I did not get an email.
Also still checking my portal even though I got put on hold... cause just maybe
 
When your portal was updated for hold or acceptance (but not for rejection, because we all deserve to be loved) post-interview, did you get an e-mail about it? Was it timely, i.e. did anyone have their portal updated but not get an e-mail? I am checking my portal like a mad person and I don't feel like it's healthy...
The portal is the first thing that will update. Then you'll get an email for an acceptance. They say it can be up to a week for you to receive the email. I got mine two days after the portal update.
 
From what I've gathered, today was the last day of interviews, correct? Maybe they will get a move on making some more decisions!
 
The portal is the first thing that will update. Then you'll get an email for an acceptance. They say it can be up to a week for you to receive the email. I got mine two days after the portal update.

Same here for acceptance. Portal updated first, then received an email the next day.
 
I don't know if anyone else has plunged into last year's thread, but I was reading that they didn't really follow the 10-80-10 rule last year, even though they said they would. It seems like instead they tried to fill the majority of their class throughout the interviewing process, and then at the end of April, they didn't offer the bundle of acceptances to people in the hold pool like everyone thought they would because they'd already filled a big chunk of their spots throughout the year. Instead they either rejected hold pool people or gave them a number rank, and then they let in approximately the top 50 ranked people from May through July/early August. I'm really hoping I'm missing something from last year's thread but that's what I got. Can anyone else confirm or contradict?
 
I don't know if anyone else has plunged into last year's thread, but I was reading that they didn't really follow the 10-80-10 rule last year, even though they said they would. It seems like instead they tried to fill the majority of their class throughout the interviewing process, and then at the end of April, they didn't offer the bundle of acceptances to people in the hold pool like everyone thought they would because they'd already filled a big chunk of their spots throughout the year. Instead they either rejected hold pool people or gave them a number rank, and then they let in approximately the top 50 ranked people from May through July/early August. I'm really hoping I'm missing something from last year's thread but that's what I got. Can anyone else confirm or contradict?

That's certainly the impression that I have. It's additionally concerning that while in previous years, they've admitted applicants from the hold pool throughout the interview cycle, this year that appears not to have happened (at least, so far as this forum is concerned). I'm operating under the assumption that this year, the hold pool is equivalent with rejection, at least for the majority of us.
 
Last edited:
That's certainly the impression that I have. It's additionally concerning that while in previous years, they've admitted applicants from the hold pool throughout the interview cycle, this year that appears not to have happened (at least, so far as this forum is concerned). I'm operating the assumption that this year, the hold pool is equivalent with rejection, at least for the majority of us.
Well that sucks. Guess I should start mentally preparing now to move across the country far from my family and friends and to pay significantly more in tuition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well that sucks. Guess I should start mentally preparing now to move across the country far from my family and friends and to pay significantly more in tuition.

That's what I'm doing, and from the tone of your post I'm guessing we both feel the same way about it... 🙁
 
I don't know if anyone else has plunged into last year's thread, but I was reading that they didn't really follow the 10-80-10 rule last year, even though they said they would. It seems like instead they tried to fill the majority of their class throughout the interviewing process, and then at the end of April, they didn't offer the bundle of acceptances to people in the hold pool like everyone thought they would because they'd already filled a big chunk of their spots throughout the year. Instead they either rejected hold pool people or gave them a number rank, and then they let in approximately the top 50 ranked people from May through July/early August. I'm really hoping I'm missing something from last year's thread but that's what I got. Can anyone else confirm or contradict?

From what I understood, for the past two years they have done one last round of acceptances about a week before the April 30th deadline (people came out of the hold pool), so that they go into April 30th with their max amount of acceptances out. Then they either reject or wait list people, and the top 50 generally get in.
 
From what I understood, for the past two years they have done one last round of acceptances about a week before the April 30th deadline (people came out of the hold pool), so that they go into April 30th with their max amount of acceptances out. Then they either reject or wait list people, and the top 50 generally get in.
That's what I'm hoping for! I don't understand why they tell everyone about this 10-80-10 equation if it's not true. And by my math it can't be true. They say they've interviewed ~550 people total this year. 10% of that is 55, so only 55 should have been offered acceptances and 55 should have been rejected. That leaves 440 for the hold pool. The class target size is ~153. We know not everyone who's offered admission accepts, so they should theoretically offer admission to >200 people from the hold pool... that was the assumption I was operating under until I started reading through last year's thread, where I found that only the top 50-some ranked people were offered admission. I'm hoping they send out a flurry of acceptances to hold pool people prior to April 30 but last year's thread had me seriously doubting.
 
That's what I'm hoping for! I don't understand why they tell everyone about this 10-80-10 equation if it's not true. And by my math it can't be true. They say they've interviewed ~550 people total this year. 10% of that is 55, so only 55 should have been offered acceptances and 55 should have been rejected. That leaves 440 for the hold pool. The class target size is ~153. We know not everyone who's offered admission accepts, so they should theoretically offer admission to >200 people from the hold pool... that was the assumption I was operating under until I started reading through last year's thread, where I found that only the top 50-some ranked people were offered admission. I'm hoping they send out a flurry of acceptances to hold pool people prior to April 30 but last year's thread had me seriously doubting.
From my understanding is that everyone who scores up in the 90th percentile threshold will get an acceptance. However, during my interview, OHSU also said that they will move the threshold lower as they please. I assume that they'll move the threshold down lower as we progress through the admission year and therefore leaving 40-60 people on the wait-list that will receive an acceptance.
 
It seems that they've accepted less people outright this year than last year.

Also according to usnw, they accept 44% post interview.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Long time lurker. Thought I would add another data point.

Accepted earlier today off hold via email and portal update. Interviewed 9/23. Placed on hold 10/25. It's been a painfully long wait and I am so relieved to have a final decision. This has been my dream school from the start.

Good luck to everyone else waiting and hopefully there is some movement in the upcoming weeks!
 
Long time lurker. Thought I would add another data point.

Accepted earlier today off hold via email and portal update. Interviewed 9/23. Placed on hold 10/25. It's been a painfully long wait and I am so relieved to have a final decision. This has been my dream school from the start.

Good luck to everyone else waiting and hopefully there is some movement in the upcoming weeks!

Congrats!! How do you feel you did on your interviews?
 
Congrats!! How do you feel you did on your interviews?

Thank you! I felt like my 1 on 1 interview went fairly well. The majority of the interview was spent talking about a few details from my personal statement and the buzzer rang right after I was asked about my interest in medicine, so I wasn't sure how that would impact my score. I felt that the MMI went pretty well overall as well. I stumbled on a few responses at one of the first stations, but felt like the rest of it went smoothly. Hope that information helps.
 
Long time lurker. Thought I would add another data point.

Accepted earlier today off hold via email and portal update. Interviewed 9/23. Placed on hold 10/25. It's been a painfully long wait and I am so relieved to have a final decision. This has been my dream school from the start.

Good luck to everyone else waiting and hopefully there is some movement in the upcoming weeks!
Holy **** you're the first person I've heard of that's gotten an update since being put on hold... Guess ill go back to checking my portal every 10 minutes
 
Has anyone heard anything about the March 3rd group? I am getting anxious for some sort of update or at least news from someone else in our group.
Looking at last years thread, there was a lot of movement coming up to the last week of April...so I am hoping we get some (good) news soon!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How does the hold group work? I have other acceptances but I'm still interested in OHSU. If I can only hold one acceptance on the 30th, and they notify me on the 30th, do I need to make the decision same day? How about financial aid?
 
How does the hold group work? I have other acceptances but I'm still interested in OHSU. If I can only hold one acceptance on the 30th, and they notify me on the 30th, do I need to make the decision same day? How about financial aid?
If you get an acceptance on/past April 30th I'm pretty sure you have a few days to decide between the few schools. Unfortunately you may not have all the financial info for each school