2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vancouver wa resident here, should i apply next cycle? Im basically an Oregonian since I shop there so much. 🙂)))
SALES TAX DODGER! SHAME!

It depends. Are you URM? do you have immediate family in OR? Did you go to college or HS in OR? Basically are you a mission-based student is what I'm going for here.
 
SALES TAX DODGER! SHAME!

It depends. Are you URM? do you have immediate family in OR? Did you go to college or HS in OR? Basically are you a mission-based student is what I'm going for here.

This topic has come up before and even though you may be close enough to see Oregon out your back window, you still need to have some connection to the state as mentioned.

"Oregon Heritage is defined as 1) A student with one or both parents residing in Oregon at the time of application, 2) A student who graduated from high school in Oregon with at least two years of attendance at a high school in Oregon, or 3) A student who graduated from an Oregon institution of higher education with a bachelor’s or advanced degree with at least two years of attendance at an institution of higher education in Oregon."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear that, I was rooting for ya!
Eh it's ok. There's still ESFCOM to keep me close to home. Wasn't optimistic about this school anyway. I'm trying to take the "beggars can't be choosers" mentality since I've been accepted elsewhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a friend that interviewed the first week of January and got a post-II rejection last week
It's wild how they jump all over the place. People who interviewed in January already know their status but people who interviewed Nov/Dec still not hearing anything!
 
It's wild how they jump all over the place. People who interviewed in January already know their status but people who interviewed Nov/Dec still not hearing anything!
definitely! that was the shortest response time I've heard of anyone getting so far, and also the worst news I've heard anyone getting. Goes to show that how long you have to wait for this school to respond really has no bearing on their final decisions
 
Are IIs expected to be given out still?
Submit in Aug, complete in Nov and still haven't heard anything. Is this a silent rejection at this point?
Would it be worth it to send a pre-II update statement?
 
Are IIs expected to be given out still?
Submit in Aug, complete in Nov and still haven't heard anything. Is this a silent rejection at this point?
Would it be worth it to send a pre-II update statement?
I got an interview for OHSU on the 7th and the available dates were toward the end of March or early April. From what I understood at the interview day, they are planning to interview into the first week of April (April 5th or so, if I remember correctly)... so as of two weeks ago, they were already booking the last ones? Having said that, they said this season has been delayed because of the crazy snow storm in Portland. I guess you'll have to wait and see what happens, but I think we are at the tail end of interview invites for this school. Good luck!
 
Just checked my portal for the first time in awhile, apparently I was rejected pre-II like 10 days ago.... lol

No worries though, this school was a long shot... no ties to the state
 
Last edited:
I just got an acceptance via email!! I'm super stoked but the portal hasn't updated to reflect this. I feel like I can't celebrate too much until I know this is for real!!

Interviewed in early January.

Congratulations!! That's so exiting! 🙂
 
Thanks! I called to confirm. It's real!!!

I should add that I'm IS and a re-applicant. I had just started studying for an MCAT retake. I'm soooo glad I don't have to go through that again.
Yay! When did you interview in January? I interviewed on the 25th and am trying to see when I'll hear back:nailbiting:
 
Thanks! I called to confirm. It's real!!!

I should add that I'm IS and a re-applicant. I had just started studying for an MCAT retake. I'm soooo glad I don't have to go through that again.


Congrats! You say you're a re-applicant, did you already retake the MCAT after not getting in last time?
 
I interviewed the first week of January.

I only took the MCAT once and got a 504. I was going to retake it after not getting in last year but decided to focus on getting more volunteer hours since I barely had any.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed the first week of January.

I only took the MCAT once and got a 504. I was going to retake it after not getting in last year but decided to focus on getting more volunteer hours since I barely had any.

Did they give you any recommendations last year on what to work on?
 
Did they give you any recommendations last year on what to work on?

Last year they told me to work on my service hours, and my interview skills. The 1-1 interviewer said my personal statement didn't line up with what I said during my interview, which was fair because my personal statement was trash. I finished it the day before AMCAS closed...

For this cycle I put a lot of work into perfecting my personal statement and my essays. I had each one edited by 3-4 people. I was very clear about my motivation for medicine and had time to practice my interview skills during the 4 other interviews I had. I also got a lot of service hours as well as working full time as a clinical research coordinator.

I think my interview this year was definitely better but I didn't feel like I hit it out of the park, and I'm pretty sure I'm not great at the MMI style. My only post interview rejection came from a school that uses MMI.
 
Last year they told me to work on my service hours, and my interview skills. The 1-1 interviewer said my personal statement didn't line up with what I said during my interview, which was fair because my personal statement was trash. I finished it the day before AMCAS closed...

For this cycle I put a lot of work into perfecting my personal statement and my essays. I had each one edited by 3-4 people. I was very clear about my motivation for medicine and had time to practice my interview skills during the 4 other interviews I had. I also got a lot of service hours as well as working full time as a clinical research coordinator.

I think my interview this year was definitely better but I didn't feel like I hit it out of the park, and I'm pretty sure I'm not great at the MMI style. My only post interview rejection came from a school that uses MMI.


Wow thanks for all the info! This might be a silly question, but what do you mean by "service" hours?
 
Just got put on hold today. Interviewed 11/2, MMI:6-7/10 , 1 on 1: 7/10, LizzyM: 67.5

Got the Hold List notification too. Interview 11/18. I'm curious what the scores are you posted about MMI and 1 on 1 interviews (where you said "MMI:6-7/10 , 1 on 1: 7/10"). I have seen similar posts about people with scores in these categories. What do they mean? I couldn't find what they mean anywhere on this website. Thanks!
 
Got the Hold List notification too. Interview 11/18. I'm curious what the scores are you posted about MMI and 1 on 1 interviews (where you said "MMI:6-7/10 , 1 on 1: 7/10"). I have seen similar posts about people with scores in these categories. What do they mean? I couldn't find what they mean anywhere on this website. Thanks!

It's just their own opinion of how they felt the interviews went on a scale of 1-10.
 
Mailed in my acceptance contract in nearly a month ago, but there's no notification that its been received on the portal. Anyone else experience this?
 
Just saw that I was also put on hold a few days ago (3/1) post interview. Interviewed 1/13, so I guess here's to more waiting! April 30th can't come soon enough


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@22chainz congrats!! can I ask what you changed from last year?
Yes, of course.

Last year, I was still finishing my undergraduate degree so I did not have much medical work experience. I also did not do well on the MMIs as I did not prepare very well. I was told to improve on my experiences, and that my MMI performance was below average. Since then, I have been working as a medical scribe, hospital volunteer work, community volunteer work, and been involved in volunteer research. I also thoroughly prepared for my interviews this year, which paid off tremendously. I read up a lot on Obamacare, and got interview guide books by Samir Desai called Multiple Mini Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty and The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions faculty. I was very prepared to answer MMIs. I also connected well with my 1-on-1 interviewer; we shared a mutual admiration for basketball and Obama. She actually greeted me by saying, "You're the Kobe Bryant guy!" as I had wrote a secondary essay mentioning Kobe Bryant. Even though the OHSU MMI does not have much do with healthcare policy, having much more to do which how you deal with ethical questions or how you problem-solve, I made sure to bring in my knowledge of healthcare policy to demonstrate that I care enough to stay in the loop and know what I am getting into with healthcare which I believe was helpful.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, and good luck!
 
Last edited:
I applied to OHSU and still haven't heard anything! I'm an Oregon resident, 3.8 GPA, 513 MCAT. I haven't gotten an interview, been put on hold, or been rejected. Do I pretty much have no chance anymore? Could I still get an interview? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I applied to OHSU and still haven't heard anything! I'm an Oregon resident, 5.8 GPA, 513 MCAT. I haven't gotten an interview, been put on hold, or been rejected. Do I pretty much have no chance anymore? Could I still get an interview? Thanks!
They may have seen past your padded gpa (5.8). Seems too good to be true.
In all seriousness though, i'm in the same boat but oos. Wish the process was a bit faster.
 
They may have seen past your padded gpa (5.8). Seems too good to be true.
In all seriousness though, i'm in the same boat but oos. Wish the process was a bit faster.

Oh gosh, I meant 3.8 geez. best of luck to you too, it's just so frustrating
 
I applied to OHSU and still haven't heard anything! I'm an Oregon resident, 3.8 GPA, 513 MCAT. I haven't gotten an interview, been put on hold, or been rejected. Do I pretty much have no chance anymore? Could I still get an interview? Thanks!

When was your secondary marked complete?