2016-2017 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the Hold List notification too. Interview 11/18. I'm curious what the scores are you posted about MMI and 1 on 1 interviews (where you said "MMI:6-7/10 , 1 on 1: 7/10"). I have seen similar posts about people with scores in these categories. What do they mean? I couldn't find what they mean anywhere on this website. Thanks!

It's just their own opinion of how they felt the interviews went on a scale of 1-10.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted, via portal
IS, reapplicant
LizzyM 68.70
II 01/18/2017
I am so stoked!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mailed in my acceptance contract in nearly a month ago, but there's no notification that its been received on the portal. Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: 1 user
Mailed in my acceptance contract in nearly a month ago, but there's no notification that its been received on the portal. Anyone else experience this?
+1

Just saw that I was also put on hold a few days ago (3/1) post interview. Interviewed 1/13, so I guess here's to more waiting! April 30th can't come soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@22chainz congrats!! can I ask what you changed from last year?
Yes, of course.

Last year, I was still finishing my undergraduate degree so I did not have much medical work experience. I also did not do well on the MMIs as I did not prepare very well. I was told to improve on my experiences, and that my MMI performance was below average. Since then, I have been working as a medical scribe, hospital volunteer work, community volunteer work, and been involved in volunteer research. I also thoroughly prepared for my interviews this year, which paid off tremendously. I read up a lot on Obamacare, and got interview guide books by Samir Desai called Multiple Mini Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty and The Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions faculty. I was very prepared to answer MMIs. I also connected well with my 1-on-1 interviewer; we shared a mutual admiration for basketball and Obama. She actually greeted me by saying, "You're the Kobe Bryant guy!" as I had wrote a secondary essay mentioning Kobe Bryant. Even though the OHSU MMI does not have much do with healthcare policy, having much more to do which how you deal with ethical questions or how you problem-solve, I made sure to bring in my knowledge of healthcare policy to demonstrate that I care enough to stay in the loop and know what I am getting into with healthcare which I believe was helpful.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, and good luck!

Last edited:
I applied to OHSU and still haven't heard anything! I'm an Oregon resident, 3.8 GPA, 513 MCAT. I haven't gotten an interview, been put on hold, or been rejected. Do I pretty much have no chance anymore? Could I still get an interview? Thanks!

Last edited:
I applied to OHSU and still haven't heard anything! I'm an Oregon resident, 5.8 GPA, 513 MCAT. I haven't gotten an interview, been put on hold, or been rejected. Do I pretty much have no chance anymore? Could I still get an interview? Thanks!
They may have seen past your padded gpa (5.8). Seems too good to be true.
In all seriousness though, i'm in the same boat but oos. Wish the process was a bit faster.

They may have seen past your padded gpa (5.8). Seems too good to be true.
In all seriousness though, i'm in the same boat but oos. Wish the process was a bit faster.

Oh gosh, I meant 3.8 geez. best of luck to you too, it's just so frustrating

I applied to OHSU and still haven't heard anything! I'm an Oregon resident, 3.8 GPA, 513 MCAT. I haven't gotten an interview, been put on hold, or been rejected. Do I pretty much have no chance anymore? Could I still get an interview? Thanks!

When was your secondary marked complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you called them? Mine was complete 9/30 and I interviewed on 2/10, I'm also IS. I feel like you should have heard something.
I called them last week but still haven't heard back. I just sent them an email.

Received an II yesterday. April 5th was their last date

I called them last week but still haven't heard back. I just sent them an email.
I agree, I am very surprised you haven't heard anything. I was complete early September with a 3.75 and a 516 (so, similar stats), Oregon resident, got my II mid September, interviewed end of October, and was accepted mid February. That sounds very frustrating. Make sure no emails ended up in you junk folder? Wishing you luck.

Anybody know how many people usually get off the hold list/why OHSU takes so many reapplicants?

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if OHSU is doing a second look this year, and if so, which date? i can't seem to find it in any of my info from the interview date, and i haven't gotten further stuff via mail yet. thanks in advance!

Hey guys, quick question. For OOS students, how much preference do they give to people who grew up in the region (PNW)? I am an Idaho resident so I was just curious whether I have a good shot of getting in (I am median for accepted students in GPA and MCAT). Thanks!

Anybody know how many people usually get off the hold list/why OHSU takes so many reapplicants?

When I looked through last years thread, it looked like a bunch of people received a waitlist number via the portal around April 25th or something like that. It then looks like about the top 50 waitlistees got accepted. I didn't see many people saying they were accepted outright around April 25 nor many saying they were rejected, just a whole bunch of waitlist numbers.

I'm on hold right now and it says we will be accepted, wait listed, or rejected. I'm really hoping for an accept or a top 50 waitlist number.

When I looked through last years thread, it looked like a bunch of people received a waitlist number via the portal around April 25th or something like that. It then looks like about the top 50 waitlistees got accepted. I didn't see many people saying they were accepted outright around April 25 nor many saying they were rejected, just a whole bunch of waitlist numbers.

I'm on hold right now and it says we will be accepted, wait listed, or rejected. I'm really hoping for an accept or a top 50 waitlist number.

same

What does it look like when they update the portal? I interviewed 12/14 and am going crazy waiting. Is it pretty obvious if you're put on hold?

Right on the front page you get a purple box and "Decision: HOLD" - you'd know it if you were

Just checked the portal and i was reject pre II on 2/28. Wish i got an email.

So weird, what are your stats? Have you called?
I have the exact same stats as gmm966: 3.8 gpa, 513 MCAT. Called recently, but haven't heard back either. I know they're generally pretty slow, but this just seems way out of the ordinary.

It is definitely super weird!! I called them and they just told me to be patient.

It is definitely super weird!! I called them and they just told me to be patient.
I don't know if this helps at all, but we were told the last interview date will be the 5th of April.

Is it just me, or does the "further information would not change the committee's decision" make people feel like they have a decision but they're just not telling us? :((Testing our ability to be patient doctors?)

Is it just me, or does the "further information would not change the committee's decision" make people feel like they have a decision but they're just not telling us? :((Testing our ability to be patient doctors?)
From what I understand, when I interviewed they told us we would get a score and that would put us in a ranking. I definitely think a decision has been made in regards to this "score" but since they are still interviewing people they aren't sure if these new interviewees might have a better score. After all the interviews are complete then they can tell us if we got accepted or not (or waitlist). I think this is why no further update will help.

From what I understand, when I interviewed they told us we would get a score and that would put us in a ranking. I definitely think a decision has been made in regards to this "score" but since they are still interviewing people they aren't sure if these new interviewees might have a better score. After all the interviews are complete then they can tell us if we got accepted or not (or waitlist). I think this is why no further update will help.
That totally makes sense. Thanks so much!

Has anyone been accepted after being placed on post-interview hold?

has anyone heard anything about merit scholarships (especially the ones eligible for OOS students)? haven't seen any posts on this board. my understanding is we did not have to apply for them, and will be considered automatically, but i don't know when we would hear. i e-mailed a week ago with no response - wondering if anyone here has any wisdom?

Interviewed 12/14 and FINALLY heard back. Unfortunately it was not the news I'd hoped for. I'm sad I won't be attending OHSU, and devastated I will have to leave Portland, but am happy for everyone who made the cut. I look forward to working alongside y'all in the future.

Interviewed 12/14 and FINALLY heard back. Unfortunately it was not the news I'd hoped for. I'm sad I won't be attending OHSU, and devastated I will have to leave Portland, but am happy for everyone who made the cut. I look forward to working alongside y'all in the future.

I'm sorry to hear that! I assume you are IS? What are your stats?

ACCEPTED!! Yay!!!! So so so excited! Interviewed 1/25, lm 69, IS.
Couldn't even read the full portal update before starting to ugly cry. :soexcited:

Reactions: 11 users
Fantastic. And was this sent out in an email to accepted students, or is it available on ohsu.edu?
It was in my acceptance letter in the mail. I don't think it's listed yet online.