2016-2017 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a major question about the letter of recommendations!
On the website, it said the following:

Make sure your letter writer includes your AMCAS ID# on the top of the letter.

I am using interfolio to submit my letters and my letter writers did not have my AMCAS ID on the letter. Will this be a problem? Interfolio will attach the AAMC ID to the letter when they send it to aamcas.

Thanks for your help guys. I have been stressing out due to this

I can't imagine that's going to be a problem since Interfolio works directly with AMCAS for letter writing. I'm doing the same thing and I assume most others are.

Does anyone know how this school views re applicants? I heard through the grapevine that pretty much re-apps dont get considered at all, and I am wondering if this is true. I have had genuine growth in multiple areas since my last app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how this school views re applicants? I heard through the grapevine that pretty much re-apps dont get considered at all, and I am wondering if this is true. I have had genuine growth in multiple areas since my last app.

Not sure about the incoming class but some of the rising M2s were reapplicants, so they definitely get considered. You should totally apply.

I know the MSAR says 51% of their class went to UF for undergrad, does anyone know if that number is pretty stable? And is that a result of UF bias or just more qualified UF undergrads?

I'm pretty sure if you look at any medical school in FL, not just UF, more will come from UF undergrad than any other school (i.e. UCF may have more med students from UF undergrad than UCF undergrad).

UF produces the most applications by far in the state of FL. Last year, UF produced 802 applications, ranking 3rd in the entire nation behind UCLA (961) and Berkeley (819). This is more than twice the number of applications than any other Florida school. Those from UF undergrad could easily fill up every medical school seat in FL alone, so it makes sense they may represent a majority at many schools.
Other Florida schools: FSU (341), UCF (324), USF (366), UM (373), FIU (189), FAU (128)
Source: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/86042/factstablea2.html

Reactions: 3 users
Does UF average your total MCAT scores if you took the exam more than once? Or do they only look at the most recent exam?

Does UF average your total MCAT scores if you took the exam more than once? Or do they only look at the most recent exam?

I have never heard of a school averaging your score. It's not the SAT. They see all your scores and look at your most recent

I have never heard of a school averaging your score. It's not the SAT. They see all your scores and look at your most recent
They actually do in some places.

Every school does it differently. I thought the same thing, but have found some schools that have a different approach. I was just curious if anyone knew UF's policy.

I was a re-applicant and got admitted the second time I applied. First time I was waitlisted and ultimately denied. The second time I was admitted without spending any time on the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an incoming MS1 here so I just got through the joys of applying and interviewing, and I can relate to what you guys will be going through for the next year. UF really impressed me, and if you have any questions feel free to message me!

Edit: I will be an out-of-state student of that is also concerning to some people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Since AMCAS was transmitted on 6/24 this cycle, are we all expecting around 7/5 for the first in state secondaries? I've seen 7/8 after a 6/27 release and this is what I'm basing it on. Thanks! I go to UF for undergrad and really would like to continue my studies in Gville.

Since AMCAS was transmitted on 6/24 this cycle, are we all expecting around 7/5 for the first in state secondaries? I've seen 7/8 after a 6/27 release and this is what I'm basing it on. Thanks! I go to UF for undergrad and really would like to continue my studies in Gville.

There's no need to become fixated on predicting when secondaries will go out. They go out whenever they go out. It's a much better use of your time and energy to pre-write and focus on writing the best essays you possibly can.

@Munty @tygerguy

I understand that UF is a research heavy school and was wondering how they will perceive me if I have no interest in the typical bench research. My interests lie in integrating technology into medicine to create new diagnostic tools. I'd like to mention this in the secondaries and was wondering what your guys' thoughts are.

Thanks!

I had kind of similar interests when I applied and talked about them in secondaries and the interview and was accepted. They don't really seem to care the kind of research you do, as long as you engage in some sort of research project.

@Munty @tygerguy

I understand that UF is a research heavy school and was wondering how they will perceive me if I have no interest in the typical bench research. My interests lie in integrating technology into medicine to create new diagnostic tools. I'd like to mention this in the secondaries and was wondering what your guys' thoughts are.

Thanks!
We have both students and faculty here that are interested in medical informatics. We have plenty of people that aren't interested in traditional bench work. In fact, we have plenty of people who aren't really interested in research. But, if you have no interest in research, it will benefit you to have been significantly involved in policy or service-based activities.

Prompts???
So the email says we have to complete a UF professional school app and then the College of Medicine app. I was working on the professional one, but my wifi just went out. I will post the prompts as soon as I can get to them!

EDIT: Here are the prompts!

1) If you are not a full-time student during this application cycle, in particular at any time between September 2016 and May 2017, please detail your current and planned activities below.

2) Read the following description of introversion and extraversion from the Myers-Briggs foundation website. Most people, while seeing themselves to one degree or another in each description, are inclined towards either being introverted or extroverted. Both groups make wonderful physicians, but each personality type has some inherent strengths and weaknesses which need to be appreciated as individuals develop into practicing physicians. Indicate using the checklists below to what extent you see yourself as more of an extravert or an introvert.

3) Using the links provided, please read two essays written by University of Florida College of Medicine students as part of their clinical rotations. One tells the story of a student’s experience giving “Bad News” to a patient and her family with his attending physician. The second uses the wear and tear of the “The White Coat” as a way to reflect upon what lessons she learned during the third year of medical school. Pick one of these and tell us what attributes of a good physician you would like to emulate are highlighted in these accounts.

4) As part of graduation from medical school students at most institutions recite a version of the Hippocratic Oath. This oath dates back to the 5th century and is one of the earliest declarations that a physician will seek the primacy of patient interest in all matters. Similar themes were echoed by the 12th century physician/scholar Moses Maimonides in his famous prayer, “…Inspire me with love for my art and for Thy creatures. Do not allow thirst for profit, ambition for renown and admiration, to interfere with my profession, for these are the enemies of truth and of love for mankind and they can lead astray...” Our admissions mission reads as follows,
"We desire to recruit and matriculate the brightest students who are intellectually curious, have a strong work ethic and a deep commitment to humanism and service. In so doing we will train the next generation of caring, compassionate, and culturally competent medical professionals, be they practitioners, researchers and/or teachers."
These wonderful ideals are not simply skills to learn, but assume that physicians are virtuous and that their practice grows naturally from these virtues; which raises a question. What are the most important virtues of a physician and how can they be nurtured or undermined? Please consider this question and offer us your thoughts below.

5) Optional:If you think there is any additional information that would help the admissions committee in its review of your application please use the space below.

Last edited:
Is anyone putting anything for the "Indicate how you spent or plan to spend your time from graduation until your anticipated enrollment at UF. List these activities (employment, travel, military, etc.) in chronological order, most recent first.".....?

I feel like thats a strange question and I have basically no idea what I plan on doing in 8 months

Quick question about this professional schools app-- I'm on the degree programs page and I can't figure out where to designate MD as the degree program. Does anyone know how we're supposed to do this?

Question about the extraverted/introverted prompt.... Do we ONLY check boxes from either Extravert or Introvert, like once we choose one we can't pick from the other, or do we check the boxes we feel apply to us and choose from both extravert or introvert?

Hey guys, on the Professional Schools application it asks if I'm hispanic. I'm Brazilian and I'm used to being asked if I'm hispanic/latino and answer yes. But I don't know if I should answer yes to this question considering Brazilians aren't really hispanic, but are latinos. I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks

Quick question about this professional schools app-- I'm on the degree programs page and I can't figure out where to designate MD as the degree program. Does anyone know how we're supposed to do this?
You click on the professional schools application - not graduate school and not veterinarian. Then sign up for an account. After filling out some information, you'll arrive to a tab that says "Degree Programs". Select "Fall (August) 2017" for Intended term and year. Then select "Medicine" for Professional School.

Don't know how you're lost or just don't know that MD falls under medicine for professional school or on a totally different website, but hope that helps.

There is another prompt (page 1) for non-Florida residents:

"*REQUIRED If you are not a legal resident of Florida according to your AMCAS application, write a statement describing your association with the State of Florida on the Supplemental Answers page. This statement is required even if you have no ties to the State of Florida."

Anyone else writing more than just 1-2 sentences on the essay that asks what we are planning to do during the year if we are not a full time student? I can't imagine writing a whole paragraph...:(

How does UF contact those selected for an interview? Is it via email or phone?

Anyone else writing more than just 1-2 sentences on the essay that asks what we are planning to do during the year if we are not a full time student? I can't imagine writing a whole paragraph...:(
I wrote 3 sentences.

3) Using the links provided, please read two essays written by University of Florida College of Medicine students as part of their clinical rotations. One tells the story of a student’s experience giving “Bad News” to a patient and her family with his attending physician. The second uses the wear and tear of the “The White Coat” as a way to reflect upon what lessons she learned during the third year of medical school. Pick one of these and tell us what attributes of a good physician you would like to emulate are highlighted in these accounts.

Has anybody started this essay? I thought the grammar of the imperative statement was confusing and was wondering how other people are addressing this. My interpretation was that UF wants a list of traits we feel the chosen essay highlighted. I think it must require some further elaboration to come even close to 500 words, though.

Has anybody started this essay? I thought the grammar of the imperative statement was confusing and was wondering how other people are addressing this. My interpretation was that UF wants a list of traits we feel the chosen essay highlighted. I think it must require some further elaboration to come even close to 500 words, though.
I would definitely elaborate further. I'm currently writing the essay.

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Is anyone putting anything for the "Indicate how you spent or plan to spend your time from graduation until your anticipated enrollment at UF. List these activities (employment, travel, military, etc.) in chronological order, most recent first.".....?

I feel like thats a strange question and I have basically no idea what I plan on doing in 8 months

I am having the same issue. On the professional school app it asks to indicate the activities we plan on doing after graduating and before med school. How am I supposed to know what I'm doing next summer a year from now?? Are other people putting activities here?

I am having the same issue. On the professional school app it asks to indicate the activities we plan on doing after graduating and before med school. How am I supposed to know what I'm doing next summer a year from now?? Are other people putting activities here?

Doesn't have to be accurate, just your best guess. By that point you'll already probably be accepted/rejected and it won't matter anyway.

I have a question about the essay that asks details of current and planned activities during the year if you are not a full time student during application cycle .
What should I write if I am a full time student ?

That you're going to be a full time student during the application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually really like these prompts. Makes me a little more interested in going here:)

Reactions: 1 users
I actually really like these prompts. Makes me a little more interested in going here:)

I'm not a fan of the prompts. Especially the first essay about the guy giving bad news. The guy who wrote that essay can't write secondaries well. There's like 2 lines of introspection in the entire essay, how are we supposed to extract information about his positive qualities as a physician if there's so little introspection and he spends the majority of the essay describing the scenery???

Hey guys! On the Pre-Professional App, I am technically a dependent on my parents for tax purposes. I do claim that I am a dependent and declare my parents as the claimant correct? Thank you!

I'm not a fan of the prompts. Especially the first essay about the guy giving bad news. The guy who wrote that essay can't write secondaries well. There's like 2 lines of introspection in the entire essay, how are we supposed to extract information about his positive qualities as a physician if there's so little introspection and he spends the majority of the essay describing the scenery???

I forgot to mention, the second guy needs to wash his white coat. And who writes these things... is it a joke? Why would the school want students to behave the following ways....

" I was wishing that I was anywhere else but at the end of that bed"
3 year old would " sometimes crawl onto my lap"
Holding the hand of a gunshot wound victim... as blood leeched onto his white coat
HIV and TB residue....
Prideful?!?!?!
and this guy is unhygenic who wouldn't wash their white coat after all this gets on it

Reactions: 1 user