2016-2017 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments and the Experience section, please describe your medically related experience(s) and how they have contributed to your understanding of medicine and your motivation to pursue this career?

0 characters (min: 1, max: 1500)

*2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it.

*3. The University of Minnesota strives to ensure diverse educational experiences appreciating individual differences by creating learning environments that promote acceptance, respect and inclusivity. Please describe your experiences with diversity and diverse groups of people by reflecting on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine.

*4. We invite you to share information about important aspects of your personal background and identity as they relate to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, information about your culture, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.

0 characters (min: 1, max: 900)

*5. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota?

0 characters (min: 1, max: 300)

*6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School.

0 characters (min: 1, max: 1200)

*7. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year?

*8. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.

*11. Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school.

*12. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss or highlight any aspect of your journey to medicine that you may or may not have already presented in your application.

*13. If you are a re-applicant to the University of Minnesota Medical School, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Home. Here I come!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone! This is a top choice for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Woop woop!!! And yes me too, I'd like to stay in MSP. I love this place!!

How OOS friendly is this school ?

Curious to see if they give a little preference to OOS undergrads who have lived in MN for the past four years....anybody know?

Individuals with strong ties to the state and a higher likelihood of practicing medicine in Minnesota would have preference other other out of state applicants

My primary was processed on 6/10, has anyone received a secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was poking around their website and found this about residency, albeit as it relates to tuition:

You are considered a Minnesota resident if:
  • You have lived in Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to your first day of class attendance, and
  • Your primary reason for residing in Minnesota is not to attend school.
I am from Wisconsin and spent four years at a Minnesota college. I am spending a gap year in Minnesota and working while I apply. Does anyone know if this makes me a "MN Resident" for the purposes of my application, since I would have been there for more than a year while not in school before matriculation?

Are you legally a MN resident? Do you have a MN driver's license?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is the med school on the main [undergrad] campus?

Got excited to do this secondary after getting an email, forgetting they screen for the twin cities campus, and was kinda disappointed when it was like, "this process may take three or more weeks from the time of your campus selection." haha

Can someone tell me what an average week is like at U of M? Specifically, how much time is spent in lecture or other scheduled school required activities? I am wondering how much time is available in the curriculum to study/do ECs as I do better studying the material outside of class than I do in, so I would be against an 8-5 type of schedule

No. The UMN - TC medical school is located on the West Bank of the Minneapolis/St Paul campus but the UM-Duluth medical school (different med school) is in Duluth.

No. The UMN - TC medical school is located on the West Bank of the Minneapolis/St Paul campus but the UM-Duluth medical school (different med school) is in Duluth.

TC is on the "East Bank," so yes, same as undergrad campus :) West bank is one metro stop away and has the business school and some art-related buildings. I think most first and second year lectures are in the Moos Tower, right next to the hospital. The anatomy lab is in Jackson Hall.

Has anyone received a secondary app invite for the UMN- Twin Cities?

Not yet. They say they do a holistic review/screen before secondaries, so it may take a few weeks.

I've also had no movement from the U of M, it is correct that they do some pretty intensive screening before sending out secondaries. I'm sure they will come soon, as long as you've picked your campus and received an email informing you of the screening process you are on the right track.

East bank and West Bank are both considered to be the main undergrad campus. The med school is on east bank though.

*1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments and the Experience section, please describe your medically related experience(s) and how they have contributed to your understanding of medicine and your motivation to pursue this career?

*3. The University of Minnesota strives to ensure diverse educational experiences appreciating individual differences by creating learning environments that promote acceptance, respect and inclusivity. Please describe your experiences with diversity and diverse groups of people by reflecting on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine.

*4. We invite you to share information about important aspects of your personal background and identity as they relate to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, information about your culture, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.

*6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School.

*7. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year?

*8. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.

*11. Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school.

*12. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss or highlight any aspect of your journey to medicine that you may or may not have already presented in your application.

*13. If you are a re-applicant to the University of Minnesota Medical School, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee?

@WedgeDawg

For those that received the secondary already.. When did you get the email from them saying they received your verified AMCAS. I just got that yesterday.

Got my secondary 7/9! Submitted 7/12. They do send quite a few "please be patient" emails, but the responses are coming!

How are you all addressing the second to last question? With such an extensive secondary, I'm not sure what other information I need to highlight.

Edit: second to last question.

How are you all addressing the second to last question? With such an extensive secondary, I'm not sure what other information I need to highlight.

Edit: second to last question.

That question only gives 900 characters, so there isn't much room to add new info even if you had it. I just said that I didn't have anything to add but thanked them for taking the time to read my application. Better the truth than making something up *shrug*

That question only gives 900 characters, so there isn't much room to add new info even if you had it. I just said that I didn't have anything to add but thanked them for taking the time to read my application. Better the truth than making something up *shrug*

I think I'm going to state that it's my top choice, which is true.

I don't have any gaps in my education/work experience that are unaccounted for, but this essay is required. Should I just write a sentence stating this? Write N/A? Help!

Is it necessary to answer #12, what other pertinent information? question? I feel like between the other 11 essays and my primary, I do not have anything else to add.

Its listed as required, but I really don't have anything else to add.

Is it necessary to answer #12, what other pertinent information? question? I feel like between the other 11 essays and my primary, I do not have anything else to add.

Its listed as required, but I really don't have anything else to add.

I felt the same way. I stated that the U of MN is my top choice.