2016-2017 University of Minnesota Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking at the facebook page for the class of 2021, it looks full/almost full. There is a separate Duluth page. From what I gather, not everyone on that page is in that class. If that is the case, then they aren't overfilled.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744416469153212/
Some current medical students (rising MS2s and beyond) are given access to the MS1 Facebook group to make announcements etc. so the number of people in the Facebook group is probably not a very good estimate of current class size 🙂 For example, the class of 2020 page has over 30o members for a class of 170 first year students 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted! Got the call yesterday from Dimple. I'm so crazy happy, MN is such a great school. IS, interviewed 1/10, nontrad.

Congrats to those of you also recently accepted. I feel for those of you still waiting to hear. Best of luck to everyone!!
 
Accepted! Got the call yesterday from Dimple. I'm so crazy happy, MN is such a great school. IS, interviewed 1/10, nontrad.

Congrats to those of you also recently accepted. I feel for those of you still waiting to hear. Best of luck to everyone!!

Were you accepted off the WL?
 
I called and they said that the alternate rank list was going out today....has anyone heard anything?
I called today, sounds like they had a technical glitch and they hoped it would go out within the "next several days". I asked about the possibility of acceptances at this point for those who received the "waitlist/hold" email previously and she said "it's (pause) possible". I have committed elsewhere but was holding out hope for the U of MN, I'm not optimistic about my chances at this point.
 
I called today, sounds like they had a technical glitch and they hoped it would go out within the "next several days". I asked about the possibility of acceptances at this point for those who received the "waitlist/hold" email previously and she said "it's (pause) possible". I have committed elsewhere but was holding out hope for the U of MN, I'm not optimistic about my chances at this point.
Uggh...how frustrating! Thanks for the info!
 
Whats going on guys. Just got accepted to UMN Minneapolis. I was looking at Stadium View apartment and they seem to have a pretty good deal going on for the 4 bedroom apartment. Just wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate (price is $700/month)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whats going on guys. Just got accepted to UMN Minneapolis. I was looking at Stadium View apartment and they seem to have a pretty good deal going on for the 4 bedroom apartment. Just wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate (price is $700/month)

I'd post this on the Facebook page. Lots more activity there.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
What is the status of honors/pass/fail and internal rankings in Minnesota? Are they still doing honors? Internal rankings? Neither?
As far as I know the new MS1s will still have Honors/Pass/Fail for most classes (aka the grading system hasn't changed). Essentials of Clinical Medicine (ECM) (our clinical skills and patient interviewing skills class) was only Pass/Fail for our class so I think that will stay the same for the Class of 2021 🙂

I personally really liked having the ability to earn Honors (it pushed me to really master the material) but I know some of my classmates feel strongly that it should be eliminated. There isn't any class rank that I know about either - at the beginning of the year I heard that the only people who will ever know our "grades" (H/P/F) were our advisor and us. 🙂
 
Email today said M1/M2 got rid of honors grading starting with our year.
Residencies will know if you are top 25% M1/M2, and if you get AOA.