2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
 
Last edited:
what exactly constitutes a professional conflict as opposed to a personal conflict?

A conflict you encountered in a job or school or other professional setting, not a personal issue you had with a friend/family/etc. Think of conflict with a boss, co-worker, employee, college professor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If people could post the secondary questions, it would be greatly appreciated!

1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)
 
The diversity essay question about discussing material that is not included in the rest of your application, how are you guys approaching that? I have a diversity essay written but I feel like I have discussed a lot of stuff in my application already. Non-trad, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
The diversity essay question about discussing material that is not included in the rest of your application, how are you guys approaching that? I have a diversity essay written but I feel like I have discussed a lot of stuff in my application already. Non-trad, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was wondering this too, I wanted to talk about a hobby that is mentioned briefly in my activities section. But there is so much more about the hobby I can talk about in the diversity essay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got home from work to find that I'm unable to access the secondary.
Anybody else still having problems?
 
For MSTP they ask us to put two recommenders for letters of rec, what if all my recommenders have already submitted my letters through AMCAS and are part of my committee letter?
 
Anyone else unable to enter their ssns?

I contacted them about this. They say it's supposed to disappear after you leave the page for security reasons. When you save the page with a SSN it works. Also, don't put any dashes in it. If it tells you that's not a valid SSN, backspace delete it and then re enter it and it should accept it. Very weird SSN issues in the formatting of their website.
 
I contacted them about this. They say it's supposed to disappear after you leave the page for security reasons. When you save the page with a SSN it works. Also, don't put any dashes in it. If it tells you that's not a valid SSN, backspace delete it and then re enter it and it should accept it. Very weird SSN issues in the formatting of their website.

It's not even letting me save and it disappears if I go to another page :/ I guess I'll just call them on Tuesday. Thanks though!
 
Yeah its weird sometimes it accepts the SSN with dashes and other times it doesn't. I saved the page with an SSN with dashes and submitted the secondary. Good luck to all!
 
It's not even letting me save and it disappears if I go to another page :/ I guess I'll just call them on Tuesday. Thanks though!

Hey dude, if you're having the same issue I had.....there's a space at the very beginning of the box where you type in your SSN. You have to move your cursor over and delete the space, then you can enter your full SSN!
 
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

@WedgeDawg @Ismet
 
The diversity essay question about discussing material that is not included in the rest of your application, how are you guys approaching that? I have a diversity essay written but I feel like I have discussed a lot of stuff in my application already. Non-trad, etc.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Same question I had.. Not too sure if I should write about my culture/second language or not because this is already addressed in the primary application (but NOT in my essays/PS). Thoughts, anyone?
 
Last edited:
Same question I had.. Not too sure if I should write about my culture/second language or not because this is already addressed in the primary application (but NOT in my essays/PS). Thoughts, anyone?

I ended up talking about a hobby that was one of my EC's on the primary but I focused on material I hadn't touched on there. A few people seemed to do this in previous years and it worked out for them.
 
I ended up talking about a hobby that was one of my EC's on the primary but I focused on material I hadn't touched on there. A few people seemed to do this in previous years and it worked out for them.
Yeah that's probably going to be my route as well! Good luck! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II this morning! Complete 7/5 LizzyM 76-77

Woo hoo!

Question about being complete - is that what you status actually said online? Mine still says invited to complete secondary which I did ages ago, and everything else is showing as received (including my secondary).
 
Woo hoo!

Question about being complete - is that what you status actually said online? Mine still says invited to complete secondary which I did ages ago, and everything else is showing as received (including my secondary).

My status still says "invited to complete secondary" even though all of the fields below are marked as submitted or complete, I never received any e-mail confirmation from Pittsburgh besides a receipt for my application fee. Is this the case with everyone else?
 
My status still says "invited to complete secondary" even though all of the fields below are marked as submitted or complete, I never received any e-mail confirmation from Pittsburgh besides a receipt for my application fee. Is this the case with everyone else?
Applicants from previous years' threads said their status didn't change until they received IIs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you guys fill out the coursework information based your original transcript or the AMCAS-verified version? My school is on the quarter system so the hours don't match up with the AMCAS-verified hours.
 
How is the curriculum here? From their website it seems very traditional (hasn't changed since 2004?). Does anyone know if preclinical years are pass/fail?