You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
B
BadNewsBears2016
Keep the dream alive everyone! II after being complete in July! I'm in such shock right now...it really is not over 'till it's over!
Good for you!!
Keep the dream alive everyone! II after being complete in July! I'm in such shock right now; Yale has such an incredible program! It really is not over 'till it's over folks!
Congrats!!
Does anyone know when the last IIs went out in previous years?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be futile to send Yale another update letter of continued interest 2 months after sending an actual update with substantive info?
Would it be futile to send Yale another update letter of continued interest 2 months after sending an actual update with substantive info?
Do you have anything substantial to put in the update letter?
No but I really wanna interview.
+1 lolNo but I really wanna interview.
To people who have interviewed, do they have breakfast in the morning or is there not any food until lunch?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
There were some snacks in the morning, like granola bars and coffee, but nothing substantial.To people who have interviewed, do they have breakfast in the morning or is there not any food until lunch?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey guys, getting a bit stressed as my interview nears (Yale is also my first ever MD interview haha so... Excuse the neuroticism). Aside from perhaps questions involving why Yale/why med, did they get more into basic healthcare policies/ethics and such? Especially since I'm Canadian i feel like I'm lacking on this knowledge and probably should read into it after exams 😛
Also, how much emphasis does Yale put on clinical volunteering? I'm really lacking in that area and was honestly surprised at the II, so I suppose I'm gonna have to explain myself haha.
Thanks all!
Also, how much emphasis does Yale put on clinical volunteering? I'm really lacking in that area and was honestly surprised at the II, so I suppose I'm gonna have to explain myself haha.
Thanks all!
I didn't get asked about any medical ethics or Healthcare in the US/ACA. The questions were all or at least mostly based on my ECs. Though it probably varies interviewer to interviewer. Yale does not make them ask certain questions, but some interviewers may choose to ask "typical" interview questions. Both my interviews were pretty relaxed and conversational.Hey guys, getting a bit stressed as my interview nears (Yale is also my first ever MD interview haha so... Excuse the neuroticism). Aside from perhaps questions involving why Yale/why med, did they get more into basic healthcare policies/ethics and such? Especially since I'm Canadian i feel like I'm lacking on this knowledge and probably should read into it after exams [emoji14]
Also, how much emphasis does Yale put on clinical volunteering? I'm really lacking in that area and was honestly surprised at the II, so I suppose I'm gonna have to explain myself haha.
Thanks all!
Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile
One cannot reasonably predict what questions could arise at any interview except that everything on your application is fair game. Knowing and being able to explain your journey to medicine, details of ECs, and secondaries well beats out all other prep. But there are trends, right? If you're heavily involved in research, you'd better know how to explain that work and why it's significant. If you're big on community service, better be able to talk about it with some depth. etc. etc.
Interviews are typically scheduled 3-4 weeks in advance. It's self-schedule, you click on the calendar and pick yourself a date you like. Interviews end the last week of February. As I mentioned before in this thread, the third week of January is a good time to give up hope. So around one more month!
Interviews are typically scheduled 3-4 weeks in advance. It's self-schedule, you click on the calendar and pick yourself a date you like. Interviews end the last week of February. As I mentioned before in this thread, the third week of January is a good time to give up hope. So around one more month!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II today! Totally blindsided considering I didn't turn it in until late September LOL
II today! Totally blindsided considering I didn't turn it in until late September LOL
Congrats!!!
Stats? Mind sharing when they're currently scheduling for? Thanks!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats!!!
Stats? Mind sharing when they're currently scheduling for? Thanks!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks!! LizzyM ~80. They had six days open in February when I scheduled.
I'm trying to decide if I should accept an II. I've heard good things about Yale, but ultimately I would be very happy at one of the schools I've been accepted to, and I would only seriously consider Yale if my indebtedness would be in the same league. I've been offered a full tuition, 90% tuition and 75% tuition scholarships at schools that I enjoyed my time at (So 50-100k in debt). Is Yale known for good aid, or would I likely be looking at >200k in debt (I realize Yale's average graduation debt is relatively low, but all costs would be out of my pocket - family is about at the line for the AMCAS FAP program)? I realize this isn't the time to be making these decisions, but I'm running on fumes and I want to make sure I would be heavily considering Yale if I attended the interview.
@Thenewguy02 I really wish I had your problem dude...
Always worth considering. I don't know about their aid but it's worth a shot going to the interview and finding out at least
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Always worth considering. I don't know about their aid but it's worth a shot going to the interview and finding out at least
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
B
BadNewsBears2016
I'm trying to decide if I should accept an II. I've heard good things about Yale, but ultimately I would be very happy at one of the schools I've been accepted to, and I would only seriously consider Yale if my indebtedness would be in the same league. I've been offered a full tuition, 90% tuition and 75% tuition scholarships at schools that I enjoyed my time at (So 50-100k in debt). Is Yale known for good aid, or would I likely be looking at >200k in debt (I realize Yale's average graduation debt is relatively low, but all costs would be out of my pocket - family is about at the line for the AMCAS FAP program)? I realize this isn't the time to be making these decisions, but I'm running on fumes and I want to make sure I would be heavily considering Yale if I attended the interview.
According to the numbers I use, Yale graduates have $60k+ less indebtedness upon graduation as compared to average.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
literally asking the same question!I'm trying to decide if I should accept an II. I've heard good things about Yale, but ultimately I would be very happy at one of the schools I've been accepted to, and I would only seriously consider Yale if my indebtedness would be in the same league. I've been offered a full tuition, 90% tuition and 75% tuition scholarships at schools that I enjoyed my time at (So 50-100k in debt). Is Yale known for good aid, or would I likely be looking at >200k in debt (I realize Yale's average graduation debt is relatively low, but all costs would be out of my pocket - family is about at the line for the AMCAS FAP program)? I realize this isn't the time to be making these decisions, but I'm running on fumes and I want to make sure I would be heavily considering Yale if I attended the interview.
I'm trying to decide if I should accept an II. I've heard good things about Yale, but ultimately I would be very happy at one of the schools I've been accepted to, and I would only seriously consider Yale if my indebtedness would be in the same league. I've been offered a full tuition, 90% tuition and 75% tuition scholarships at schools that I enjoyed my time at (So 50-100k in debt). Is Yale known for good aid, or would I likely be looking at >200k in debt (I realize Yale's average graduation debt is relatively low, but all costs would be out of my pocket - family is about at the line for the AMCAS FAP program)? I realize this isn't the time to be making these decisions, but I'm running on fumes and I want to make sure I would be heavily considering Yale if I attended the interview.
Can I ask how you know the numbers about tuition already? Have you already submitted FAFSA and stuff or were these just like scholarships that came alongside your admissions offers?
I'm trying to decide if I should accept an II. I've heard good things about Yale, but ultimately I would be very happy at one of the schools I've been accepted to, and I would only seriously consider Yale if my indebtedness would be in the same league. I've been offered a full tuition, 90% tuition and 75% tuition scholarships at schools that I enjoyed my time at (So 50-100k in debt). Is Yale known for good aid, or would I likely be looking at >200k in debt (I realize Yale's average graduation debt is relatively low, but all costs would be out of my pocket - family is about at the line for the AMCAS FAP program)? I realize this isn't the time to be making these decisions, but I'm running on fumes and I want to make sure I would be heavily considering Yale if I attended the interview.
Definitely worth going. The unit loan is 28k per year so you will be taking that out before any scholarship is awarded but my guess is you would qualify for full scholarship to cover the rest. If that's the case you're looking at 112k in debt ( a bargain given the peace of mind the Yale system offers in my opinion).
If you can afford to interview its definitely worth going to at least see if its a better fit for you.
Can I ask how you know the numbers about tuition already? Have you already submitted FAFSA and stuff or were these just like scholarships that came alongside your admissions offers?
I haven't heard for need based aid. These were offered when I received an acceptance.
As noted above, the minimum base amount of loans one can expect from Yale is 28k if one qualifies for the max amount of need-based aid. This is split into Direct Unsub federal loans as well as that sweet no interest until PGY3 Yale institutional loan. The unit loan goes up a little every year. There are 3-4 merit scholarships a year that cover the full unit loan so zero indebtedness is a possibility but obviously very limited. I am not 100% sure about the number of merit scholarships or the % of the unit loan they cover, but it's definitely in the single digits. If you can afford the flight to come to Yale, do the interview! Money aside, the environment is more chill than anything you'll ever encounter in medical school.
@Troy8989 YSM white coat is around 8/10, give or take a couple days depending on the year.
@Troy8989 YSM white coat is around 8/10, give or take a couple days depending on the year.
Is that scholarship new? I thought 100% of Yale aid was need based.As noted above, the minimum base amount of loans one can expect from Yale is 28k if one qualifies for the max amount of need-based aid. This is split into Direct Unsub federal loans as well as that sweet no interest until PGY3 Yale institutional loan. The unit loan goes up a little every year. There are 3-4 merit scholarships a year that cover the full unit loan so zero indebtedness is a possibility but obviously very limited. I am not 100% sure about the number of merit scholarships or the % of the unit loan they cover, but it's definitely in the single digits. If you can afford the flight to come to Yale, do the interview! Money aside, the environment is more chill than anything you'll ever encounter in medical school.
@Troy8989 YSM white coat is around 8/10, give or take a couple days depending on the year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to my interview, it's a needs-based merit scholarship. They'll essentially choose a full people who qualify for financial aid and wipe away any loans they were to receive so it's esssentially a full ride.Is that scholarship new? I thought 100% of Yale aid was need based.
The above is correct. Like I said, the scholarship gets rid of the unit loan. Those for whom the unit loan is really a concern are those who are getting max or close to max financial aid. If you're not on max aid, your loans will exceed the minimum unit loan, so you don't care as much how much the unit loan is; you're going to be borrowing more anyway. The two people I know with the merit scholarship were only on the unit loan before Yale came through with the full amount. But AFAIK, the scholarship's not only limited to those on max aid, but it's known to be more likely given to those who are already on a lot of aid. Hope this helps lol kinda complicated
TL;DR – full ride merit scholarships exist for those who already qualify for need-based aid, but don't count on getting it. Pretty sure it's <5 per class.
TL;DR – full ride merit scholarships exist for those who already qualify for need-based aid, but don't count on getting it. Pretty sure it's <5 per class.
That scholarship is not new. I've seen someone in MDApp mentioned that he got one, years before I applied (in 2014).Is that scholarship new? I thought 100% of Yale aid was need based.
I'm trying to decide if I should accept an II. I've heard good things about Yale, but ultimately I would be very happy at one of the schools I've been accepted to, and I would only seriously consider Yale if my indebtedness would be in the same league. I've been offered a full tuition, 90% tuition and 75% tuition scholarships at schools that I enjoyed my time at (So 50-100k in debt). Is Yale known for good aid, or would I likely be looking at >200k in debt (I realize Yale's average graduation debt is relatively low, but all costs would be out of my pocket - family is about at the line for the AMCAS FAP program)? I realize this isn't the time to be making these decisions, but I'm running on fumes and I want to make sure I would be heavily considering Yale if I attended the interview.
If your family is at the line of FAP, then you'll essentially getting more than 100% of the tuition in the form of need based scholarship at Yale. The unit loan is going to be lower than the cost of living in year 2, 3, and 4. The difference between attending Yale based on need based aid and attending the school based on merit aid is not going to be huge, not enough to be factored into your considerations.
You are right to hesitate whether it worth your time and effort to continue interviewing after having had successes. I am not in the position to tell you what to do, but here is my story: I received two IIs last year after I already got into school that I loved and full merit aid etc. One of the two IIs was from Yale. I was full of dout whether there is a point to go up to a school that I frankly knew nothing about. It turns out to be the best decision I made. To this day, I am thankful that I went the extra mile to make sure I didn't miss out on an amazing opportunity to attend the best medical school.
Last edited:
I was hanging out near admission for free coffee and the director of admission was saying how happy he was with the qualilty of applicantions from international students this year. Congrats! Best of luckII just now! Completed 8/17
LizzyM ~78, international applicant
Interview dates available throughout December. Good luck everybody!
I was hanging out near admission for free coffee and the director of admission was saying how happy he was with the qualilty of applicantions from international students this year. Congrats! Best of luck
Aww that's so sweet! Thank you!
Am an international applicant. Going to take this as a guarantee that I've been accepted. Thanks.I was hanging out near admission for free coffee and the director of admission was saying how happy he was with the qualilty of applicantions from international students this year. Congrats! Best of luck
Received II last week, 12/22 -- fingers crossed! Have been to New Haven number of times, very much like the city.
Received II last week, 12/22 -- fingers crossed! Have been to New Haven number of times, very much like the city.
Congrats!!!
Complete date / stats?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
also does yale do silent rejections?
Reject in march without an interview; they're non-rolling.
Received II last week, 12/22 -- fingers crossed! Have been to New Haven number of times, very much like the city.
I really like your avatar =)
The interviews in my experience are laid back. I had a long conversation about relationships, society and lots of non science or medicine topics, my other interviewer was a student and was more "application based" in style, but there is a tremendous range of flexibility. I spoke to the student about life in New Haven etc.
Prepare to be asked about your apps, but also prepare to be human just like your interviewers =)
Prepare to be asked about your apps, but also prepare to be human just like your interviewers =)
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say a week more before you give up!I'm assuming it's too late in the game at this point to expect an interview invite, correct? bummer 🙁
Called and they said they are still evaluating applications. Interviews end the 2nd to 3rd week of Feb. 🙂Anyone want to call to see if there's any II left??![]()
According to my interview, it's a needs-based merit scholarship. They'll essentially choose a full people who qualify for financial aid and wipe away any loans they were to receive so it's esssentially a full ride.
Can you give your stats Iwannaknow please. Thanks much
Fingers crossed....Called and they said they are still evaluating applications. Interviews end the 2nd to 3rd week of Feb. 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K