2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Here goes nothing... this is my dream school out-of-state school!

Edit: Whoops. Applied to KC campus preference. The new campus looks pretty awesome though.

Hey all, going to be a first year here in the fall. I've lived in Joplin most of my life, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to hear back from these guys!

Nothing. . . I'm in state and not a word haha

Ahh I see. It is so difficult to find stats on DO schools. They need an MSAR for DO schools

Hey all, I was wondering if I could get your input on an email I got from KCU which basically invited me to apply to both campuses, providing "fast tracked admission decision", yada yada, etc. I've wanted to apply to KCU, but I wouldn't have met their screens of 3.25 or something like that. I have a postbacc c+sGPA of 3.78, but it still doesn't bring my total past that point. Does Joplin also implement the same screens? Do you think the email is just a marketing ploy?

We are just about to finish orientation and I just wanted everyone to know that everything is going really well with the campus. I have no second thoughts about attending here even though we are the inaugural class. I'll try to keep you guys updated!

Reactions: 2 users
We are just about to finish orientation and I just wanted everyone to know that everything is going really well with the campus. I have no second thoughts about attending here even though we are the inaugural class. I'll try to keep you guys updated!
Any recent thoughts on this campus? How're things going?

Any recent thoughts on this campus? How're things going?
We are about a month in and I still have no regrets. All of our professors are top notch and we certainly are not at a disadvantage to the KC campus. If anything, we have a slight edge. Everything on campus works wonderfully and other than the first week, we haven't really had any hiccups with tech.

The OMM lab is great, there is a table for every 2 people and we are split into only 2 groups.

Study room space can get a little bit limited around test time, so hopefully next year our tests won't be at the same time as first years.

We don't start Anatomy until Sept. 11, so I can't comment on how great the Anatomy lab is until then. I have been into it, but there were no cadavers.

One new thing they started this year to increase the 'unity' of the 2 campuses is implementing Learning Objectives. Every lecture has a set of learning objectives to guide us in studying for the test. Usually, they are fantastic. A couple have been really vague and not helpful, though. Both campuses have been sharing study material pretty regularly, so there isn't even a competitive feeling between campuses (which our administration wants to avoid at all costs).

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer!

Reactions: 1 users
I said I do not have a campus preference but if I interview at Joplin, is it more likely I will attend this school instead of the Kansas City campus?

I said I do not have a campus preference but if I interview at Joplin, is it more likely I will attend this school instead of the Kansas City campus?
Seeing as this is the first year, no one really knows. I think I remember an administrator talking about those without a preference and those with Joplin preference would interview in Joplin, but don't quote me on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview coming up here soon and how easy is it to get a taxi here or Uber service? Thanks!

Hey all, I was wondering if I could get your input on an email I got from KCU which basically invited me to apply to both campuses, providing "fast tracked admission decision", yada yada, etc. I've wanted to apply to KCU, but I wouldn't have met their screens of 3.25 or something like that. I have a postbacc c+sGPA of 3.78, but it still doesn't bring my total past that point. Does Joplin also implement the same screens? Do you think the email is just a marketing ploy?

Current 4th year at KCU (KC). I had UG GPA that was sub-3.25 with a similar grad school GPA as you and obviously got in. Wouldn't let it prevent you from applying to either campus unless you're way under the 3.25 or the rest of your app is mediocre.

I am wondering if the interview is hard. I have one on Sep 23rd.

How long is it?

How many interviewers and interviewees?

Is it appropriate to ask what kinds of questions they usually ask?

How long is it?

I'm interviewing then too! You should read the 2017-2018-kansas-city-university-kcu thread as well because it is much more active than this Joplin one.

One of the posters there said: "1-1 or 2-1 faculty to student traditional interview. They normally have your secondary answers and are blinded to primary application."

How long is it?

Your interview will be about 30 minutes. You will have either one or two interview sessions. I think that KCU was my most relaxed interviews that I went to during my application process. They really just want to see how you relate personally. They will ask you why medicine, possibly why you chose Joplin (or didn't choose). Your interviews will either be 2 on 1 or 1 on 1 with at least one faculty member in each interview.

One thing that is really nice about KCU, you won't have to wonder what kind of person your interviewer is. Your student ambassador that gives you the tour and spends time with you in the morning will get a list of who you are interviewing with and will usually give you some advice on what to say to them.

Basically, as long as you act like a professional, you shouldn't stress about it at all.

Your interview will be about 30 minutes. You will have either one or two interview sessions. I think that KCU was my most relaxed interviews that I went to during my application process. They really just want to see how you relate personally. They will ask you why medicine, possibly why you chose Joplin (or didn't choose). Your interviews will either be 2 on 1 or 1 on 1 with at least one faculty member in each interview.

One thing that is really nice about KCU, you won't have to wonder what kind of person your interviewer is. Your student ambassador that gives you the tour and spends time with you in the morning will get a list of who you are interviewing with and will usually give you some advice on what to say to them.

Basically, as long as you act like a professional, you shouldn't stress about it at all.
If we chose the 8 a.m. time, will we still have an opportunity to talk to an ambassador before interviewing?

If we chose the 8 a.m. time, will we still have an opportunity to talk to an ambassador before interviewing?
In that case, I'm not really sure. All of our interviews were in the afternoon.

KCUMB asks Please provide a brief explanation for your campus preference.
If I pick both locations what should I write?

The first interview of the season here is tomorrow! Anyone in town for it already?

hey @DrRedstone, how do I get involved in research opportunities here? I would like to start doing some sort of research during my first year. Any web page you can link me to for research opportunities at Joplin campus? I really like this school and am interviewing at the Joplin campus in 4 days.

Last edited:

aaahhh I forgot to ask sth...

I did put down no location preference in my secondary, but after some googling I actually wanna go to kansas city...is it possible to correct this before/during/after the interview? thank you!

Also a student at KCU-Joplin! Excited to meet some interviewees today!

As of 2 months in, I LOVE KCU Joplin. It is very student centered and I feel we are well cared for. It has been an incredible experience so far.

hey DrRedstone, how do I get involved in research opportunities here? I would like to start doing some sort of research during my first year. Any web page you can link me to for research opportunities at Joplin campus? I really like this school and am interviewing at the Joplin campus in 4 days.

Sorry to jump in here @DrRedstone, looked like you were manning the page alone! There are some research opportunities "coming" within this year. As of right now, it's the student's initiative. We do have some wonderful faculty that have done incredible research, but we do not have a benchtop lab right now. We were told if we want to do research, that we need to come up with a topic and present it to faculty. I am unaware of anyone who has attempted this yet, as our schedule has been pretty fierce.

aaahhh I forgot to ask sth...

I did put down no location preference in my secondary, but after some googling I actually wanna go to kansas city...is it possible to correct this before/during/after the interview? thank you!

You should call admissions at KC.

Is anyone else having trouble booking a room in Joplin? I've tried several places on Airbnb but the hosts have canceled. My interview is this weekend, are there any students or fellow interviewees willing to take me in?

Is anyone else having trouble booking a room in Joplin? I've tried several places on Airbnb but the hosts have canceled. My interview is this weekend, are there any students or fellow interviewees willing to take me in?

There is an airbnb I found, try calling 866-740-4531 to see if there is room!

Holy cow! Got on for a sec this morning and had 14 notifications. I have a test this afternoon so I'll get back to you guys a little later tonight.

My interview here was very uncomfortable. One thing the interviewer asked me was if I enjoyed working in groups and I said yes, occasionally. Then, he somehow spun it and said this might not be the campus for me since it's not all based on group work. I never even said I wanted a group-based curriculum. Everyone else seemed to have fine interviews. It really sucks because this is my ultimate top choice.

My interview here was very uncomfortable. One thing the interviewer asked me was if I enjoyed working in groups and I said yes, occasionally. Then, he somehow spun it and said this might not be the campus for me since it's not all based on group work. I never even said I wanted a group-based curriculum. Everyone else seemed to have fine interviews. It really sucks because this is my ultimate top choice.

He said its *not* all group work or it is?

He said its *not* all group work or it is?

He said this is a more traditional lecture setting, which I already knew since I've been perusing the old threads. He made it out to seem like I didn't do enough research on the school and that I thought it was a PBL-based curriculum lol.

He said this is a more traditional lecture setting, which I already knew since I've been perusing the old threads. He made it out to seem like I didn't do enough research on the school and that I thought it was a PBL-based curriculum lol.

Who interviewed you?

I know we, as students, talked about letting people stay with us. I don't think it's set up through the school, but we did have a lot of willing people! :)

Private message me if you still can't find a place and I have no doubt I could get you a room with a student.

Who interviewed you?

He's a professor for one of the classes in second year. A lot of people I talked to mentioned they didn't jive with the interviewers, but their interviews were okay overall. Definitely thrown off because a lot of past students said it should be conversational. Not sure if this was mainly pertains to Kansas City. Maybe the Joplin interviews are tougher since it only has 150 spots to fill. Well, you win some, you lose some.

@lotsaqs, sorry you didn't have a great interview. Hopefully we keep the conversational tone on this campus, but I guess none of us can guarantee it as we are not in the admission committee.

Last edited:

Im sorry your interview went that way, really hope you still get in. Dang it , i have my interview next week here and now im even more nervous.

Reactions: 3 users
@lotsaqs, sorry you didn't have a great interview. Hopefully we keep the conversational tone on this campus, but I guess none of us can guarantee it as we are not in the admission committee.

other than the school website, do you recommend anything else to research the school? For example , i cant find info on the research of the faculty at Joplin. Either way , thanks in advance.

other than the school website, do you recommend anything else to research the school? For example , i cant find info on the research of the faculty at Joplin. Either way , thanks in advance.

Good luck on your interview! It's supposed to be laidback, but I learned later that the interviewers are instructed to give "thought-provoking" questions. At the end of the whole day, they had us fill out an iPad survey and one of the questions asked specifically if the interviewer gave those types of questions. As to how I prepared, I went through last year's KCUMB SDN thread because that was the first thread that had a mix of KC + Joplin applicants and it gave a good deal of insight. I definitely sifted through as many pages on the KCUMB website as I could, but a lot of the information is more applicable to the Kansas City campus.

In terms of research, they said they're working on developing labs for bench research, but their goal is to get students to do more clinical-based research during their third and fourth year. One thing they didn't touch on that a few other schools discussed was how clinical rotations worked. There were a few other new schools I applied to that touched on the subject, but Joplin didn't and I was hoping they would since it was barely mentioned on the website. I hope your interview goes well!

Look at the website and the school discussion threads. Most of our conversations appear on facebook rather than her on SDN. As far as research, we have some biochemistry professors who have done research on cell membrane receptors. I imagine they will continue that research as soon as we are up and running. I am not sure at this point as to what the other research opportunities are.

@lotsaqs as far as clinical rotations, we are in the process of deciding how they are distributed. We will mostly be at Freeman and Mercy health systems here in Joplin. It doesn't sound like they will have us doing rotations in KC as there are already several other schools rotating there. The nice thing is that Mercy and Freeman give more opportunities to actually practice skills rather than sitting in the back and watching residents do them. Freeman does have residencies in Internal Med, Psych (via Ozark Center), ENT, and ER, so there are some residents.

Let me know if you need any more information!

Can anyone reiterate the interview procedure? You tour, eat, then a 30 minute panel?

Last edited:
so i hear they are blind to your primary and have access to your secondary. Does this mean they can ask about your letters of recs? or do they just have your secondary essays?

Can anyone reiterate the interview procedure? You tour, eat, then a 30 minute panel?
I was in the afternoon group but we were given orientation with the AM group, then a campus tour ( stimulation lab, OMM Lab, Library, Anatomy Lab etc) w/AM group, then lunch. Afterwards, while we were waiting to be called for interview, some of us talked housing and fitted our white coats. Then came the one on one interviews for 30 min. lastly, we filled out a survey, given a KCU T-shirt and went our separate ways. Hope this helps

so i hear they are blind to your primary and have access to your secondary. Does this mean they can ask about your letters of recs? or do they just have your secondary essays?
my interviewer mentioned that they only have access to our secondaries so she literally doesnt know anything about me except what i wrote in the secondary.

I was in the afternoon group but we were given orientation with the AM group, then a campus tour ( stimulation lab, OMM Lab, Library, Anatomy Lab etc) w/AM group, then lunch. Afterwards, while we were waiting to be called for interview, some of us talked housing and fitted our white coats. Then came the one on one interviews for 30 min. lastly, we filled out a survey, given a KCU T-shirt and went our separate ways. Hope this helps

Fitted white coats? Seems premature, no?

Fitted white coats? Seems premature, no?
Considering that 60% of those who interview will get accepted and that they dont mandate your presence during the acceptance day, i think they are actually smart for doing this.

Considering that 60% of those who interview will get accepted and that they dont mandate your presence during the acceptance day, i think they are actually smart for doing this.
Now I've seen 85%, 70%, 67%, and 60% for post-interview acceptance rate on here lol.