2017-2018 Kansas City University - Joplin Campus (KCU-COM Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Negative. At least according to this info:

http://www.kcumb.edu/programs/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/clerkships/clerkship-sites

What’s this I keep hearing about Joplin having better clerkship options than KC? If someone doesn’t mind elaborating on that, it would be much appreciated. The list above doesn’t seem suggest that, although the Joplin sites seem to be have the most GME.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks. I’ve seen this list before, but I read somewhere that they might expand the rotation sites by the time our class has to rotate. Also for current students, isn’t there a chance the current administration would be flexible in regards to this?

Members don't see this ad.

My PCP says that I’m not due for my third hepatitis B shot until September. Are there any clinics in Joplin where I can take the shot? Or do I have to travel back home in order to take it? Just checking cause I live in another state, thanks!

My PCP says that I’m not due for my third hepatitis B shot until September. Are there any clinics in Joplin where I can take the shot? Or do I have to travel back home in order to take it? Just checking cause I live in another state, thanks!

Cmon maaan Joplin isn’t Mars they got clinics!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine in a pharmacy.

Coming to Joplin in a week or so with my family to see the school (I interviewed at KC) and to find an apartment.

What are some cool places to see and things to do around there? My family likes "nature-y" stuff, especially mountains etc and like renting out a cabin or something like that. It doesn't have to be in Joplin, anywhere like 2-2 1/2 hours away is fine too. We're gonna be there for a few days so they wanna get their vacationing in at the same time lol.

Coming to Joplin in a week or so with my family to see the school (I interviewed at KC) and to find an apartment.

What are some cool places to see and things to do around there? My family likes "nature-y" stuff, especially mountains etc and like renting out a cabin or something like that. It doesn't have to be in Joplin, anywhere like 2-2 1/2 hours away is fine too. We're gonna be there for a few days so they wanna get their vacationing in at the same time lol.
Floating the buffalo in Arkansas is always a good time

About 2.5 hours south you can go to Devil's Den State Park. I've been hiking there and it is beautiful. In Joplin, your best bet is Wildcat Glades, it is a large natural park near one of the hospitals with several walking trails.

Just find a new PCP out here to take over your care. They can administer the final shot. You can probably go to any local pharmacy and they could administer it as well. Just call a couple places.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you guys please list some apartment complexes you all signed at? Or if there are any first years on here who have some suggestions. I just got off the waitlist last week and am trying to figure my living situation. I've looked into the more popular ones (like Copper Point, the Villas and the Plaza) and it seems they're all full as of now. I just wanted the names of some others ones in case I was missing any.

Could you guys please list some apartment complexes you all signed at? Or if there are any first years on here who have some suggestions. I just got off the waitlist last week and am trying to figure my living situation. I've looked into the more popular ones (like Copper Point, the Villas and the Plaza) and it seems they're all full as of now. I just wanted the names of some others ones in case I was missing any.
Try the docks

Try the docks

Is that that same thing as Airport Landings? Because online, both have the same number. I tried calling a bunch of times but no one picked up and the automated message said they're full also. I'll trying calling again tomorrow to try to get in touch with someone in the office. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also looked at Terrace Green, but it is closer to MSSU than KCU distance wise.

Is that that same thing as Airport Landings? Because online, both have the same number. I tried calling a bunch of times but no one picked up and the automated message said they're full also. I'll trying calling again tomorrow to try to get in touch with someone in the office. Thank you!
I had to go in person to get anything done, their website says stuff is still open I believe. They are hard to get a hold of but they’ve been awesome when I have gotten ahold of them.

I wasn't able to come for accepted students day or interview at Joplin and I'm an incoming student. Is there anyway I can still get a chance to see the campus when come to Joplin next week?

I think they are having campus closed so they can do some maintenance work.

Don't get too anxious, you'll get tired of it by the end of MSK :p

Quick tip for anyone trying to fly to Joplin from Florida!

Sanford Airport (near Orlando) has flights to the Springfield/Branson Airport that happen every few days and they're non-stop and usually waaaaay cheaper than any other airlines (like $60 one way, depending on dates of course). Springfield is also way closer to Joplin than KC or Tulsa, so the drive will also be shorter.

The only drawback is that the airline is smaller airline called Allegiant Air, and they don't have a really great track record (look them up online). Also these don't show up on Google Flights, so you have to go on the Allegiant Air website to get the tickets.

All the big airports usually have crazy expensive tickets to KC and Tulsa, so I hope this helps out a few people who are looking to fly there.

Quick tip for anyone trying to fly to Joplin from Florida!

Sanford Airport (near Orlando) has flights to the Springfield/Branson Airport that happen every few days and they're non-stop and usually waaaaay cheaper than any other airlines (like $60 one way, depending on dates of course). Springfield is also way closer to Joplin than KC or Tulsa, so the drive will also be shorter.

The only drawback is that the airline is smaller airline called Allegiant Air, and they don't have a really great track record (look them up online). Also these don't show up on Google Flights, so you have to go on the Allegiant Air website to get the tickets.

All the big airports usually have crazy expensive tickets to KC and Tulsa, so I hope this helps out a few people who are looking to fly there.
Yeah I wouldn't fly Allegiant for free

Just posting this here as I'm not sure everyone is in the facebook group, If you are still looking for housing, I have a house right by the medical school. PM for details

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how many semesters are there? Spring, Summer and Fall? Or just Spring and Summer? And will the tuition be roughly the same for each semester, or less for Summer?

Tuition is constant, there are fall and spring semesters.

Tuition is constant, there are fall and spring semesters.

Thank you! Some of my friends at other schools said they have summer semesters also, so that's what confused me a little.

Can anyone comment on what exactly we will be doing during the "freeman orientation" that's listed on the orientation schedule?
You'll learn a bit about the hospital system here in Joplin, most likely.

Does anyone know if the "Military Medicine Orientation" that's listed on the schedule for Friday the 27th is mandatory? I might have to travel that day so I'm wondering if it's required.

Does anyone know if the "Military Medicine Orientation" that's listed on the schedule for Friday the 27th is mandatory? I might have to travel that day so I'm wondering if it's required.
It says if optional it will be noted, so...

It says if optional it will be noted, so...

I'm just wondering since it doesn't make sense to give a Military Medicine orientation to students who aren't doing the military medicine track

I'm just wondering since it doesn't make sense to give a Military Medicine orientation to students who aren't doing the military medicine track
Well I would assume its mandatory at least for them, but you can ask next Monday for sure

Hi everyone! I was just accepted off the waitlist yesterday and was wondering if anyone could add me to the Facebook group. It's going to be a lot of running around before Monday but I'm excited to meet everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I was just accepted off the waitlist yesterday and was wondering if anyone could add me to the Facebook group. It's going to be a lot of running around before Monday but I'm excited to meet everyone.

Congrats!

Well I would assume its mandatory at least for them, but you can ask next Monday for sure

I ended up contacting KCU and they said it's not mandatory for those who aren't interested in the Military Medicine track.

Hard to believe you guys are starting in the next week! It doesn't feel like I'm an M-2, yet here you are.

Do you need housing? If so PM me

Hey everyone!

Currently applying for this cycle now. My fiancé is starting as a first-year here. My current stats are 3.2/506 (3.94 postbacc). I am well below the 3.25 supposed cutoff. is it still worth applying or would I just be throwing a primary app fee away if they're just going to auto screen me?

Hey everyone!

Currently applying for this cycle now. My fiancé is starting as a first-year here. My current stats are 3.2/506 (3.94 postbacc). I am well below the 3.25 supposed cutoff. is it still worth applying or would I just be throwing a primary app fee away if they're just going to auto screen me?
I'd email them

Hey everyone!

Mine were under and I got a secondary (6 weeks after primary) in late October. Turned it in and got an interview that week and accepted a week after interview. That post bacc GPA is exemplary

Hey everyone!

I absolutely would, KCU rewards reinvention and it looks like you did very well on the postbac. The fact that your fiance is already in the program is great since it gives you an in. You can talk about first-hand knowledge of the difficulty of school and what you may/may not like about the program.

I think you have a shot, but it will depend on your interview if you get one.