2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Speaking of anatomy lab, what’s the student to cadaver ratio?

Color of scrubs doesn’t matter at all. They don’t have to be nice by any means, hit up Walmart they have ones for $5. As for the dress code...we are supposed to only wear scrubs in the lab but it gets super cold in there so a lot of people wear jackets and some people wear t shirts instead of scrub tops. I’ve also seen people in jeans and stuff but personally I think that’s weird and gross, would not recommend, especially during GI/Repro because your clothes will STINK.

Members don't see this ad.

4 to 1 in lab, shared with another 4

Reactions: 1 user
I live about a 3 hour plane ride away and the reality of the move is starting to get to me. Any current students from other parts of the country have words of encouragement? Like is the environment there inclusive?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I live about a 3 hour plane ride away and the reality of the move is starting to get to me. Any current students from other parts of the country have words of encouragement? Like is the environment there inclusive?
Also going to be around a 3 hour plane ride away; not a current student, but I just wanted to say I've been feeling the same way! Sometimes it helps to not be alone haha

Also going to be around a 3 hour plane ride away; not a current student, but I just wanted to say I've been feeling the same way! Sometimes it helps to not be alone haha

Yea that does help, thanks. I really loved the school and KC was cool but man, something about having to hop on a plane to get home is really freaking me out.

Yea that does help, thanks. I really loved the school and KC was cool but man, something about having to hop on a plane to get home is really freaking me out.
Same. After going for Accepted Student Day I basically freaked out, like "damn, if I want to see my family it's going to take a minimum of like, 6 hours" when you factor in going to the airport early and whatever. I turned down an acceptance to a school close to home so it just made me second think everything. I just try to think that I'm making the best decision for my education and that it will just be an adjustment for the first few months until I get used to it being my new reality. I also try to think that it will be really good for making me a more independent person :shrug:. Also, who knows where we'll end up for residency....so, idk. It sucks some days, but other days it's super exciting.

I feel similarly (though only an hour plane ride away). What really helped me was sticking around after the accepted student day and getting to know KC better. The first time I went to KC after my interview, I honestly thought the city was kind of a dump. This time around I did a little more research and I found KC to be the opposite of that with some really nice/beautiful areas. I wound up finding housing in a really nice/homey neighborhood as well, and all of those things have made me feel a lot more comfortable about the move. Also helps that I'm sure there will be a number of people like us in class feeling similarly, and camaraderie always helps.

I'm glad I'm not alone here! I live roughly 6 states away and am probably going to have to make my move down alone which is kind of intimidating. On a positive note, a decent chunk of our classmates are probably in similar situations and I'm sure friendships will be made pretty easily!

Does anyone know if tuition will be increasing for the 2018-2019 school year?

Anyone get official WL email? When can we expect movement after the May 11deadlibe

Everyone is super nervous. Orientation you’ll start to talk to people and it will all go away. Then you’ll hit Biochem and you won’t have time to feel anything but the stress of our curriculum. It’ll be shared pain though so you won’t be alone.

I’m about a 6-7 hr plane ride from home but I haven’t lived there for close to a decade and I still felt nervous when I moved to KC. It’s normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone is super nervous. Orientation you’ll start to talk to people and it will all go away. Then you’ll hit Biochem and you won’t have time to feel anything but the stress of our curriculum. It’ll be shared pain though so you won’t be alone.

I’m about a 6-7 hr plane ride from home but I haven’t lived there for close to a decade and I still felt nervous when I moved to KC. It’s normal.

Thanks man. That does make me feel better.

Are there any student orgs that are non academic/philantrhopic? not saying I don't want to be involved in those (I do) but are there any that are just for fun, like IM sports, stuff like that?

Can a current student please comment on waitlist movement here?

Thanks man. That does make me feel better.

Are there any student orgs that are non academic/philantrhopic? not saying I don't want to be involved in those (I do) but are there any that are just for fun, like IM sports, stuff like that?

Yeah there is a ton of that. I think flag football basically starts right away. Lot of pick up volleyball it looks like. Lots of events like rock climbing and such are organized. We also basically have a medical school prom night 2nd semester. There’s a ton of stuff to do to get your mind off things.

Shoot, I still feel nervous AND stressed lol *continues nervously reading Robbins w/ stress*

Interesting - because I think Robbins is actually pretty interesting, so interesting that I tend to read each sentence twice.

Could any current student shed some light on the specialty honors tracks available? especially interested in IM personally.

Is the test schedule determined at the beginning of the semester? I have 2 weddings back home both falling on Saturdays, so I'm probably just going to attend the one without a test on the monday after hopefully. However, if the test schedule is variable then I'm pretty much SOL lol.

Last edited:
Could any current student shed some light on the specialty honors tracks available? especially interested in IM personally.

Did you pick up HPSP? If you did you will be a part of the mil med track and not be allowed to apply for others. I’m trying to talk to faculty to get this changed.

Is the test schedule determined at the beginning of the semester? I have 2 weddings back home both falling on Saturdays, so I'm probably just going to attend the one without a test on the monday after hopefully. However, if the test schedule is variable then I'm pretty much SOL lol.

The test schedule is pretty much set in stone. They did move one test before to the next day, but that's because a hurricane damaged the Examsoft communication center in FL and we weren't able to download the exams.

Did you pick up HPSP? If you did you will be a part of the mil med track and not be allowed to apply for others. I’m trying to talk to faculty to get this changed.

No I declined, appreciate your advice about that from before also. Thanks

Do we need a stethoscope for the White Coat ceremony?

yup you need to identify the 4 heart sounds on Dr. Johnston in order to walk up to the stage
4?? Unless Dr. Johnston has some combination of CHF, aortic stenosis, and/or essential hypertension, none of us would get to walk up to the stage right? lol

Edit: Had to stick up for my fellow soon-to-be OMS1. Please don't stuff me in a garbage can and/or take my lunch money if you see me on campus next year.

Last edited:

What would you like to know?? Each year the minimum application standards change slightly. This year they were 3.4 gpa and an application essay and interview. The track basically takes away your selectives and replaces them with “better” IM rotations not open to regular KC rotation students. You also have specialty on-campus didactics once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone get official WL email? When can we expect movement after the May 11deadlibe
Last year there was a ton of waitlist movement. A lot of it revolves around COB program getting their final grades back, as that was the most waitlist movement for them last year. After that, expect a random call at some point. They call people up until the day of whitecoat, which happened to someone I know.

Last year there was a ton of waitlist movement. A lot of it revolves around COB program getting their final grades back, as that was the most waitlist movement for them last year. After that, expect a random call at some point. They call people up until the day of whitecoat, which happened to someone I know.

Does this imply that the majority of COB gets in from the waitlist/that the majority of COB makes up the waitlist? And do you think that the admissions committee specifically waits for final grades before making decisions? I wonder if they look for an upward trend in GPA or if they just want to make sure we have the mandatory 3.5 for the conditional acceptance.

Present COB'er on the WL and hoping to see some movement soon!

Does this imply that the majority of COB gets in from the waitlist/that the majority of COB makes up the waitlist? And do you think that the admissions committee specifically waits for final grades before making decisions? I wonder if they look for an upward trend in GPA or if they just want to make sure we have the mandatory 3.5 for the conditional acceptance.

Present COB'er on the WL and hoping to see some movement soon!
Last year there was an unprecedented amount of WL movement in general and I think the majority of COB students who were on the waitlist got accepted off of it. The most noticeable date was the monday after COB had their final week, when all of the grades were in. That's when I think 12 people got called off. Last year 63 people from COB interviewed, 31 or so got accepted in the 1st round, and I think the majority on the waitlist got pulled off.

**Disclaimer, this is MY experience and anecdotes. I could just be spouting BS but this is what I noticed last year**
As for your 2nd question, they look for an upward trend, as there were people who got off the waitlist without a 3.5 and under the suggested 501. I also know people with 4.0's in COB and undergrad who didn't retake their MCAT (which was under a 501) and were not called off until very late into the summer. Like 2 weeks before class started. It seems they're most willing to work with the COB GPA if your MCAT is what they want and you were close to the 3.5 or had a solid upward trend.

A lot of people who were missing the GPA (or were very close) but had the MCAT got off after final grades were in. People who were missing the MCAT but had the GPA were pulled much later.

This could be different this year as I haven't heard the stats of people who got in but this is what I noticed last year.

Hey everyone,

I know this is a little off topic, but do any students live in the stonewall apartments?

I was initially going to be living in CT but I cannot sign the lease as the school has not yet approved my funding (I am international student). So I cannot sign the lease for CT until I know for certainty that I will be starting school in July. I asked for extension on the lease but was denied.

The stonewall apartments are also really close to the school which matters the most to me (I cant drive) , so if any of you plan on living there or know that someone lives there, would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance y'all

Hey everyone,

I know this is a little off topic, but do any students live in the stonewall apartments?

I was initially going to be living in CT but I cannot sign the lease as the school has not yet approved my funding (I am international student). So I cannot sign the lease for CT until I know for certainty that I will be starting school in July. I asked for extension on the lease but was denied.

The stonewall apartments are also really close to the school which matters the most to me (I cant drive) , so if any of you plan on living there or know that someone lives there, would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance y'all
Don't rent there. Anywhere 5 minutes in the vicinity of the school (besides CT) are bad areas.

As in get-stabbed-while-walking-to-school bad? Like real bad?
Not really, but if you look foreign or don't blend in well, you'll probably get harassed often (mostly by beggars). Tbh, not worth living in the bad areas near school. Buildings are crappy and the rent is dirt cheap because of the location and crappy units. Better to either room w/ someone with a car or find an apt complex where there's some KCU students and just uber to school. But I mean if your biggest thing is living near campus then I guess you can find one within walking distance. I'm 100% sure though that you'll regret that decision after a few months lol

I don't think I've really seen anything from KCU on how the curriculum is designed other than a really brief overview during my interview. Is first year broken down by system with just anat/physiology/embryo/histo, and then second year a repeat of the systems with the focus on path?

I don't think I've really seen anything from KCU on how the curriculum is designed other than a really brief overview during my interview. Is first year broken down by system with just anat/physiology/embryo/histo, and then second year a repeat of the systems with the focus on path?
Basically , they went more in Depth on accepted students day

First year: Biochem 3 weeks, immunology 3 weeks. MSK anatomy/embryology/histology 6 weeks, afterwards is varying lengths of cardio/pulm, renal, GI, endo/repro, neuro anatomy/physiology/embryology/histology. Then you do an introduction to pathology titled mechanisms of disease for 2 months. 2nd year starts with a crash course in pharmacology, followed by all of the systems again but this time pathophysiology instead of the phys/anatomy/embryo/histo.

Just removed myself from the wait list. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting!

For those who filled out the wait list survey, did you receive an email upon completion? I did not so I just wanted to make sure I did everything okay.

For those who filled out the wait list survey, did you receive an email upon completion? I did not so I just wanted to make sure I did everything okay.
I did not get a confirmation automatically so I emailed admissions to confirm everything was fine. They answered back within 24hrs to confirm so if you are nervous about it they are more than happy to respond to emails!

Happy to let everyone know that the waitlist is starting to move. I was just offered a spot at Joplin. Interviewed 12/9. :)

Reactions: 9 users
Last year there was an unprecedented amount of WL movement in general and I think the majority of COB students who were on the waitlist got accepted off of it. The most noticeable date was the monday after COB had their final week, when all of the grades were in. That's when I think 12 people got called off. Last year 63 people from COB interviewed, 31 or so got accepted in the 1st round, and I think the majority on the waitlist got pulled off.

**Disclaimer, this is MY experience and anecdotes. I could just be spouting BS but this is what I noticed last year**
As for your 2nd question, they look for an upward trend, as there were people who got off the waitlist without a 3.5 and under the suggested 501. I also know people with 4.0's in COB and undergrad who didn't retake their MCAT (which was under a 501) and were not called off until very late into the summer. Like 2 weeks before class started. It seems they're most willing to work with the COB GPA if your MCAT is what they want and you were close to the 3.5 or had a solid upward trend.

A lot of people who were missing the GPA (or were very close) but had the MCAT got off after final grades were in. People who were missing the MCAT but had the GPA were pulled much later.

This could be different this year as I haven't heard the stats of people who got in but this is what I noticed last year.

Awesome, thanks for the info. This is similar to what I've heard from other students as well. I have a solid GPA (4.0 fall semester) but a sub-par MCAT so if I am to be called off, it will likely be late summer if at all, perhaps. Hope it works out!

Awesome, thanks for the info. This is similar to what I've heard from other students as well. I have a solid GPA (4.0 fall semester) but a sub-par MCAT so if I am to be called off, it will likely be late summer if at all, perhaps. Hope it works out!
It depends how subpar it is. Is it like 1-3 points below? You'll probably be called off in the coming weeks. Is it like 496 or below? If you're called off it'll be very close to white coat if at all.

It depends how subpar it is. Is it like 1-3 points below? You'll probably be called off in the coming weeks. Is it like 496 or below? If you're called off it'll be very close to white coat if at all.
I doubt they interviewed 496 or below this cycle. Their MCAT cutoff is 501 on their website, but I had a 500 and I still got interviewed and waitlisted, so I don't even know anymore. Maybe it also has something to do with my 3.7+ GPAs, who knows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I doubt they interviewed 496 or below this cycle. Their MCAT cutoff is 501 on their website, but I had a 500 and I still got interviewed and waitlisted, so I don't even know anymore. Maybe it also has something to do with my 3.7+ GPAs, who knows?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
They are talking about students in their SMP