2017-2018 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys... 4.0/522 OOS with no ties... Should I even get my hopes up?
you have stellar stats, way better than the average of the school and no ties, why do you want to go there? (what the adcoms committee would ask)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard back from this school? :( i'm worried

For everyone be that is concerned, I feel like they are trying to get through EDP decisions before they become inundated with regular applicant interviews. That’s what I keep telling myself anyways.

How is that possible? I thought even the ED applicants couldn’t hear back until 10/1.
I was an early decision applicant and they called me yesterday afternoon right after the committee meeting ended.

Members don't see this ad :)
MUSC does not begin looking at OOS until later in the cycle November/December. I'n pretty sure I read that somewhere
Yep, it's on their secondary portal. At least I have one place where the fact that they haven't looked at my application yet isn't super worrisome. I'm from the other Carolina so I'm hoping that living in close proximity to SC might result in some love. Charleston is just such a beautiful, fun place and I'd love to live and go to school there.

II on 10/20. 3.6 512 IS.

They also have this thing where you have to schedule an interview with an alum in your local area. Kind of weird, Idk if it happens to everyone.

Congrats!! When were you complete?

I think it is very hard to get in OOS with no ties unless you have a stellar application. I could be wrong and I'll defer to anyone with more experience on this.

I would still apply. To be brutally honest (and the fact that I went to MUSC for medical school) they will definitely take out of staters because the cost of tuition for non SC applicants that are accepted is among the highest in the country for "public" medical schools. In my class they pulled 25% of our group from out of state applicants willing to pay the cost of tuition. Sounds really pessimistic/jaded (and is), but it is true. So, if you are willing to apply and have a good GPA/currics/MCAT score then by all means give a shot you just may get an interview.

I would still apply. To be brutally honest (and the fact that I went to MUSC for medical school) they will definitely take out of staters because the cost of tuition for non SC applicants that are accepted is among the highest in the country for "public" medical schools. In my class they pulled 25% of our group from out of state applicants willing to pay the cost of tuition. Sounds really pessimistic/jaded (and is), but it is true. So, if you are willing to apply and have a good GPA/currics/MCAT score then by all means give a shot you just may get an interview.
Typically in SC you only pay OOS for a year.

Last edited:
has anyone heard back from this school in regards to II?

Acceptances for October interviews go out November 1st allegedly :)

I've never been an out-of-state student as I waited 12 months before attending a state school in SC, but the law makes it pretty easy to be considered in-state after 12 months of residency--even if initially OOS.
Current M.S. student at MUSC. I am in-state (applying this year), but what we were told for the OOS students is this:
You need to have lived and WORKED in SC for a full year NOT while you are currently a student, to be able to become in state. Current OOS M.D. students here told us that they were required to sign a document when they accepted their invitation to attend that promised that they would continue to pay OOS tuition for the duration of their 4 years here.

You should be fine though, since you waited 12 months. Just clarifying for others.

Accepted!!!! Got a call about an hour ago!

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted via phone call around 4:50! So excited, love love love Charleston!

Reactions: 4 users
Forgot to post this last Wednesday: OOS II! Complete 7/13, strong ties

Reactions: 1 user
I was just offered the Army HPSP scholarship. I know MUSC doesnt review OOS until sometime this month but do you think they would be receptive to an update to inform them of the scholarship since it would pay my tuition in full? I really love Charleston and have family in the area.

Accepted 10/31/2017!

Reactions: 1 user
Should I be optimistic if I received an email form MUSC stating that they want me to re-interview due to inconsistent scores? They obviously don't allow everyone to do this, but I'm a little worried.

Should I be optimistic if I received an email form MUSC stating that they want me to re-interview due to inconsistent scores? They obviously don't allow everyone to do this, but I'm a little worried.

That is probably the most unusual thing I've read in a while TBH. Was it MMI?

I mean this just means you made very different impressions one really good one really bad (if you had two interviewers) and they need clarity. So in one case someone really liked you and someone really didnt. Just try to make a good impression again. It's all you can really do!!

That is probably the most unusual thing I've read in a while TBH. Was it MMI?
I had 3 normal interviews. One outside and two at MUSC. So I guess 2 good and 1 bad? I feel like they wouldn't do it if it was the other way around.

I had 3 normal interviews. One outside and two at MUSC. So I guess 2 good and 1 bad? I feel like they wouldn't do it if it was the other way around.
Yeah, I think I remember them saying that if you got asked to re-interview to take it as a good sign. You already did well on 2/3 and there could be a number of reasons why the third one didn't go as well. They realize that, and want to make sure you have a fair shot.

Absolutely! I remember during my interview day the Dean of Admissions explained that they want everyone to do well and not be held back by minor flub, so if you receive two positive evaluations but one negative, they'll let you re-interview with new faculty member.

He even said if you feel like one of your interviews just didn't go well to let them know and they'd let you interview again!

Yes, I was called back & interviewed with 2 new faculty and accepted 2 hours after my second interview. They are not calling you back to waste your time and their time.
Think about what may have caused one interviewer concern, fix it, and thank them for giving you another look.

Anyone else have trouble scheduling their outside interview? I emailed mine the first business day after I received their contact information and never heard back, so I sent a second email 8 days later (yesterday). Still nothing so far. At what point should I email admissions about the difficulty contacting my interviewer? (and/or should I send a third email to the interviewer, first?) My on-campus visit is this Friday, so I could mention it then to admissions, if y'all think that would be preferable?

I was told to schedule this thing anytime before Nov. 24th, but with the Thanksgiving holiday coming up I'm getting a bit worried about this person's availability and being able to meet that deadline. :/

Anyone else have trouble scheduling their outside interview? I emailed mine the first business day after I received their contact information and never heard back, so I sent a second email 8 days later (yesterday). Still nothing so far. At what point should I email admissions about the difficulty contacting my interviewer? (and/or should I send a third email to the interviewer, first?) My on-campus visit is this Friday, so I could mention it then to admissions, if y'all think that would be preferable?

I was told to schedule this thing anytime before Nov. 24th, but with the Thanksgiving holiday coming up I'm getting a bit worried about this person's availability and being able to meet that deadline. :/

I would try to look them up and see if you can find their phone number. That's how I contacted mine.

I would try to look them up and see if you can find their phone number. That's how I contacted mine.

Hm, I'll look, but am not too sure I'll be able to find that info - my googling thus far indicates he just graduated MUSC this Spring, but I'm not sure where (or in what department) he is a resident. It's a good thought, though, thanks!