2017-2018 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If Underwood tells us at the beginning of the interview day that they score all interviewees (GPA+MCAT+interview+"bonus points"+etc.) and then simply take the top 160 numbers (plus wait-list turnover or whatever) and that's all there is to it,

then how are people being accepted already if interviews have not yet concluded?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hold email today :( . I'm assuming the likelihood of being accepted now is low

Same. According to the email I received today, final statuses will be communicated "by the first week in March." The email appears to imply final status will be either accepted, waitlisted, or rejected.

If Underwood tells us at the beginning of the interview day that they score all interviewees (GPA+MCAT+interview+"bonus points"+etc.) and then simply take the top 160 numbers (plus wait-list turnover or whatever) and that's all there is to it,

then how are people being accepted already if interviews have not yet concluded?

They have an accept cutoff, a hold cutoff, and everything below that gets rejected. The accept cutoff is high enough (based on previous years) that they don't even remotely fill the class by the end of February. At that point in time, they meet again and send acceptances to the top x applicants on the hold list (x=class size-seat deposits paid). Those on the hold list that don't receive an acceptance are then waitlisted, and the bottom of the hold list (where waitlist moment never reaches based on previous years) are sent rejections.

This way the high scorers are taken off the market on a rolling basis and they don't have to suffer silence until March, while average applicants are admitted in bulk where their score is more representative of average matriculant.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They have an accept cutoff, a hold cutoff, and everything below that gets rejected. The accept cutoff is high enough (based on previous years) that they don't even remotely fill the class by the end of February. At that point in time, they meet again and send acceptances to the top x applicants on the hold list (x=class size-seat deposits paid). Those on the hold list that don't receive an acceptance are then waitlisted, and the bottom of the hold list (where waitlist moment never reaches based on previous years) are sent rejections.

This way the high scorers are taken off the market on a rolling basis and they don't have to suffer silence until March, while average applicants are admitted in bulk where their score is more representative of average matriculant.
Solid explanation. Haha
Thank you!

So if you have not gotten:
- rejected
- hold
- II
- ANY update on the application site

You're... still in the running?

If you haven't gotten a II then you're not still in the running. The last interview date is this Friday

For any future OOS or URM applicants:
  • The interview day here was great & the admissions office is full of great people. I felt very welcome as an OOS applicant and I really think they take the close-ties thing to heart. I got very personal on my reasons for applying and I think that's why I got the interview in the first place (well I think it helped)
  • They care a lot about diversity as a whole (not just race/ethnicity), & how you can "add value" to the class so don't be afraid to stand out (your background, sexuality, family, etc.)
  • Charleston is as great as you think or hear it is, especially if you like/appreciate warmer weather, the ocean, and southern hospitality/food/traditions/etc.
  • MUSC attracts a lot of talented/prestigious docs from all over to teach you during your clinical years, but some of the people you interview with will be surprisingly humble & personable
  • Scores/grades aren't everything, and I was really impressed with their quantitative approach to being "holistic" (SEE: @shbrmnonynosno & @ExpatC posts above), but they do play a role in the 4 categories they judge you with
  • EDIT: DO NOT be afraid or too timid to talk about all of the adversity in your life. They really care about it.
Anyway, take this with a grain of salt as I probably won't get accepted. I just know I questioned if I should even apply, but I'm really glad I did. Hopefully, this will help someone next cycle that's thinking about it.

Last edited:
has anybody that was accepted in february gotten a letter in the mail or info about paying the deposit?

Does anyone know when MUSC sends out acceptances before they create a waitlist? Is that how the process works?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reminds me of the way someone rejects someone else because they are afraid to hurt the other person's feelings, i.e. an easy let-down.
I've never heard of an invitation to reapply though. For what it's worth, I know they are fully capable of sending a flat out rejection and good luck with your future endeavors lol

Got put on hold today. Interviewed on the last day OOS so I wasn’t too optimistic but I did interview really well. They said they will sort the people on hold into an alternate list around March 12.

Any one else hear back today?

Same but I'm IS and interviewed the week before you
Same, and I interviewed the week before you. Anyone know how many people go on the alternate list? Or if there is a percentage accepted?

Got put on hold today. Interviewed on the last day OOS so I wasn’t too optimistic but I did interview really well. They said they will sort the people on hold into an alternate list around March 12.

+1

I interviewed back in December, was placed on hold, and was accepted 2/28 by email. Dunno if it helps, but I guess it means they've already started reviewing and deciding on earlier applicants.

I interviewed back in December, was placed on hold, and was accepted 2/28 by email. Dunno if it helps, but I guess it means they've already started reviewing and deciding on earlier applicants.

I interviewed in December and was put on hold too. What day in December did you interview?

What were your stats like, If i might ask? If you don't want to post it you can message me separately. I got put on hold back in november, should I be expecting a denial at this point?

I heard from a faculty source that the people who have been accepted this far have had a 511 minimum. That is like the top ~ 35% of their class in a usual year. I also hear that they are in the process of forming the alternate list this week as well. So I'd think many acceptances and waitlists either this week or the next.

The email they sent me explicitly said the first week in March (this week). My money is on a lot of action happening in this thread come Wednesday. Scholarship application deadline is 3/15.

I heard from a faculty source that the people who have been accepted this far have had a 511 minimum. That is like the top ~ 35% of their class in a usual year. I also hear that they are in the process of forming the alternate list this week as well. So I'd think many acceptances and waitlists either this week or the next.

Probably generally but there are people- even on this thread- that have been accepted with a lower MCAT score. Could you please ask this source how many people go on the alternate list?

Last edited:
Probably generally but there are people- even on this thread- that have been accepted with a lower MCAT score. Could you please ask this source how many people go on the alternate list? 0:)
According to my source, someone on the adcom, there are typically 20 people on the alternate list. This member of the adcom has also told me that the average MCAT score has increased from a 507-508 (last year) to a 511-512 (this year).

According to my source, someone on the adcom, there are typically 20 people on the alternate list. This member of the adcom has also told me that the average MCAT score has increased from a 507-508 (last year) to a 511-512 (this year).

That is a lot lower than I thought it would be

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers at this stage. If you received an II your numbers were acceptable. 511-512 is the accepted score range at this stage of the cycle (highly competitive applicants for MUSC). 507-508 is last year's average matriculant score range. The 511-512 will drop to something closer to 507-508 once currently accepted people accept offers from other schools. Eg. People currently accepted to MUSC with 512s may take offers at higher tier schools (Duke/Emory etc.) before the end of the cycle if they make it off the respective waitlists.

The email they sent me explicitly said the first week in March (this week). My money is on a lot of action happening in this thread come Wednesday. Scholarship application deadline is 3/15.

My email from 2/28 says "later next week or early the following week"

Last edited:
What were your stats like, If i might ask? If you don't want to post it you can message me separately. I got put on hold back in november, should I be expecting a denial at this point?
I'm OOS, nontrad, practiced as a prosthetist for several years. That's about all I'll share I guess, but if I can make it, you can too.

IS Alternate by email and interviewed 10/20

IS alternate list too! Anyone remember about how many people are on the alternate list and how many people normally get pulled from there.

IS alternate list too! Anyone remember about how many people are on the alternate list and how many people normally get pulled from there.

The MSAR says they typically have 25-30 people on the waitlist and accept 20

Officially rejected today (late). I'm glad I didn't have to have the "thanks, but no thanks" converstion.

Last edited:
For what its worth I know 3 accepted people personally who will be declining, so here's hoping!

Reactions: 2 users
So I guess if we haven't gotten an email about anything yet we're pretty much unofficially rejected? God I hate this whole process. I feel like I did well in my interview.

Anyone know how waitlists are ranked? Is there a certain system every school uses?

Anyone know how waitlists are ranked? Is there a certain system every school uses?
I thought most schools used a 'top third, middle third, bottom third' ranking system. But I'm really not sure. I'm just hoping we won't hear back really late like mid-may.

So I guess if we haven't gotten an email about anything yet we're pretty much unofficially rejected? God I hate this whole process. I feel like I did well in my interview.

Looking at the past threads some people heard back even later in March about being put on the alternate list. Don't give up hope

I thought most schools used a 'top third, middle third, bottom third' ranking system. But I'm really not sure. I'm just hoping we won't hear back really late like mid-may.

Im the email said the most movement was from mid May to mid June, so it might actually be that long. Yeah Ive heard of the whole breaking the waitlist in thirds, but I wonder if thats at schools like this one where the waitlist is relatively short or other schools what have 50+ students to pull from on their waitlist.

Looking at last year's thread, it seems like most were pulled off the alternate list around the end of April since that's when people holding other acceptances have to narrow their choices down to one.