2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II at Middletown today also. Seems like they are giving out very little interview... Only three possible time slots in October...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the Post interview acceptance rate?

II at Middletown! I got the email yesterday. I'm super exited! I'll see the rest of my fellow SDNers on interview day!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday!
Quick question: "both, prefer middletown" on my secondary, and my interview is from middletown. Is there any way I can ask adcoms if I can have it in harlem? Or interview just for harlem?

Thank you!

Got my first II!
How is everyone getting there? Landing in Newark or JFK and taking an expensive ride there? Lol

Newark is like an hr away with traffic, JFK would just be the expensive car ride to the school so up to you it may be cheaper to fly in and rent a car or take an uber to newark, price it out everything in NY is inflated

This might help those of you flying in to interview at Middletown

Look into flights for HPN (westchester/white plains) or Stewart airport. Both are more regional airports but sometimes you can catch a good deal and it's closer to middletown :)

Last edited:
II yesterday!
Quick question: "both, prefer middletown" on my secondary, and my interview is from middletown. Is there any way I can ask adcoms if I can have it in harlem? Or interview just for harlem?

Thank you!
No, you can only interview at the location you were requested to interview. They are different campuses.

I completed the secondary on 9/7, and I received an email saying it was complete in the morning on 9/13, then got an II in the afternoon.

Members don't see this ad :)
When is it too late to submit your application to Touro? I wanted to see if I get interviews from other places before submitting my secondary and paying $200. 3.22cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 513 MCAT, lots of strong ECs.

New to this site. Wondering if I should apply. From the Northeast, gpa 3.68, mcat 505, EMT, and rsch experience. Should I apply? Thank you!

Anyone know the Post interview acceptance rate?
At my interview (Middletown), they said they were having 500 interviews for 150 seats. This sounded great until they said that they expect to get 35-40 seats reserved for the masters program and then reserve some for those that deferred last year. It looks like less than 100 seats for 500 interviews. You also have to give a non-refundable deposit of 2k within 2-4 weeks of acceptance which tells me that they are not very confident that students will want to choose this school if they have other acceptances. I wasn't very impressed by this school. It's an old hospital that they converted into a medical school and the dorm rooms are old patient rooms. One of my interviewers really turned me off from the school. He kept chiming in negative comments about my decision to switch out of my current career and then he ended the interview by telling me the medical profession is going down the tubes and that I should stick to my current career. On the plus side, their recent COMLEX 1 pass rates are very good (95%) and the anatomy lab is great.

Overall, it looks like a school that tries to squeeze every dime out of students and their facility is lacking compared to other schools BUT they have a great curriculum so i guess you take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Wow, so that's like a 30% post interview acceptance rate. That's pretty low :|

At my interview (Middletown), they said they were having 500 interviews for 150 seats. This sounded great until they said that they expect to get 35-40 seats reserved for the masters program and then reserve some for those that deferred last year. It looks like less than 100 seats for 500 interviews. You also have to give a non-refundable deposit of 2k within 2-4 weeks of acceptance which tells me that they are not very confident that students will want to choose this school if they have other acceptances. I wasn't very impressed by this school. It's an old hospital that they converted into a medical school and the dorm rooms are old patient rooms. One of my interviewers really turned me off from the school. He kept chiming in negative comments about my decision to switch out of my current career and then he ended the interview by telling me the medical profession is going down the tubes and that I should stick to my current career. On the plus side, their recent COMLEX 1 pass rates are very good (95%) and the anatomy lab is great.

Overall, it looks like a school that tries to squeeze every dime out of students and their facility is lacking compared to other schools BUT they have a great curriculum so i guess you take the good with the bad.

Is this specific for Middletown only? Or is this for both campuses

Wow, so that's like a 30% post interview acceptance rate. That's pretty low :|

The numbers may seem hopeless, but a few things:

First, not everyone from the Master's decides to matriculate. I think they reserve 35 spots, but I know there are not nearly that many Master's students in our class, as some apply to other schools and such. Second, not everyone who interviews will decide to go here. Middletown tends to waitlist more people than outright accepting them, they went pretty deep into the waitlist last year. We had a few kids added in the weeks leading to white coat. There is definitely a much higher chance than 30% acceptance rate post interview, I know the rejection rate was lower than acceptance and waitlist.

As for the money, yeah, most schools do try to squeeze money. But I haven't really felt it here compared to what students at other schools tell me. A lot of DO schools have deposits that high, I believe BCOM is $3,000 and no federal aid.

Don't despair, you made it this far and not applying to a school is a guaranteed rejection. Give yourself the chance of being a doctor :)

Is this specific for Middletown only? Or is this for both campuses
I interviewed at Middletown so I can't say anything about the Harlem campus although they did show COMLEX 1 pass rates for the Harlem campus and it was just a tiny bit below Middletown. They did mention that most students from Harlem commute 1-1.5 hours each way.

The numbers may seem hopeless, but a few things:

First, not everyone from the Master's decides to matriculate. I think they reserve 35 spots, but I know there are not nearly that many Master's students in our class, as some apply to other schools and such. Second, not everyone who interviews will decide to go here. Middletown tends to waitlist more people than outright accepting them, they went pretty deep into the waitlist last year. We had a few kids added in the weeks leading to white coat. There is definitely a much higher chance than 30% acceptance rate post interview, I know the rejection rate was lower than acceptance and waitlist.

As for the money, yeah, most schools do try to squeeze money. But I haven't really felt it here compared to what students at other schools tell me. A lot of DO schools have deposits that high, I believe BCOM is $3,000 and no federal aid.

Don't despair, you made it this far and not applying to a school is a guaranteed rejection. Give yourself the chance of being a doctor :)
True, they wouldn't know about their Masters graduates until May/June so you are probably right that they will pull heavy from the waitlist. BCOM is the only other school I know of that makes you give a deposit right then and there, before you can hear about anything from other schools. A few kids in our group actually spoke up about it and how the other schools they interviewed at don't have this policy. The admissions dean said they require a quick decision so they will know how many acceptances to give out (that's what a wait-list is for). My ARCOM acceptance doesn't require a deposit until December 15th. I have other interviews coming up and with the two week deposit deadline, I'll have to make a decision on this school before I know if I got into my other schools. Pretty shady if you ask me. Although I guess in the grand scheme of things, the high first time COMLEX pass rates should be the biggest factor for any school so idk. Pretty on the fence about this school after my interview.

True, they wouldn't know about their Masters graduates until May/June so you are probably right that they will pull heavy from the waitlist. BCOM is the only other school I know of that makes you give a deposit right then and there, before you can hear about anything from other schools. A few kids in our group actually spoke up about it and how the other schools they interviewed at don't have this policy. The admissions dean said they require a quick decision so they will know how many acceptances to give out (that's what a wait-list is for). My ARCOM acceptance doesn't require a deposit until December 15th. I have other interviews coming up and with the two week deposit deadline, I'll have to make a decision on this school before I know if I got into my other schools. Pretty shady if you ask me. Although I guess in the grand scheme of things, the high first time COMLEX pass rates should be the biggest factor for any school so idk. Pretty on the fence about this school after my interview.
Reasonable, I also think the early deposit may be to avoid the over enrollment problems Harlem had a few years prior. But I get where youre coming from. I was always on the mindset of putting down a deposit at my first acceptance, its a drop in the bucket in the long term. Either way, I hope you liked the school, best of luck with the rest of your cycle!

For those that have already interviewed at middletown: (congrats first of all!!!!)

did the interviews actually end at 2:30pm like the email said?
i'm planning to catch a flight back home at JFK that's at 10pm, that's plenty time right?

For those that have already interviewed at middletown: (congrats first of all!!!!)

did the interviews actually end at 2:30pm like the email said?
i'm planning to catch a flight back home at JFK that's at 10pm, that's plenty time right?
Yes, the day ended at 2:15ish. I had a flight out of Newburgh at 7:30 and I got there with 4 hours to kill. I think JFK is an hour and half from Middletown so even with traffic, you ought to be more than fine.

For those that have already interviewed, what's the format like? Is it traditional, MMI, etc.? Is it pretty relaxed or very formal? Thanks in advance!

For those that have already interviewed, what's the format like? Is it traditional, MMI, etc.? Is it pretty relaxed or very formal? Thanks in advance!
You have to dissect an entire cadaver in under 15 minutes.

In all seriousness, it's just a formal 2 on one 30 minute interview. You do get to tour the anatomy lab with the cadavers so be prepared. I was a little caught off guard.

Last edited:
You have the dissect an entire cadaver in under 15 minutes.

In all seriousness, it's just a formal 2 on one 30 minute interview. You do get to tour the anatomy lab with the cadavers so be prepared. I was a little caught off guard.

Aww man! I really wanted to test out my dissecting skills! Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. This has helped ease my nerves a bit.

Is there anyway to check the status of our application after submitting the secondary app? or do we just wait for an II invite through email. I submitted my secondary on 9/4/17 and still haven't received a complete email..

Last edited:
Is there anyway to check the status of our application after submitting the secondary app? or do we just wait for an II invite through email. I submitted my secondary on 9/4/17 and still haven't received a complete email..
Same -__- and i submitted 08/25

I don't think so. I didn't have a portal to login to that had anything about my status. FYI, they said they get 10,000 primaries, 5,000 secondaries, 500 II and 90-100 acceptances (they have spots saved for their graduate program.

What is the timeline for hearing back about acceptances from the Harlem campus?

They told the group that interviewed on 9/11 it would be 4-8 weeks for a response lol
Welllllll dang. That's kind of a long time. They said they had holidays coming up so they were unsure of when they would be able to make decisions. You'd think the first group that interviewed would have the shortest wait time.

Welllllll dang. That's kind of a long time. They said they had holidays coming up so they were unsure of when they would be able to make decisions. You'd think the first group that interviewed would have the shortest wait time.

Oh yeah I know but... Idk. Who knows. Im honestly hoping it takes a while because I have zero clue what to do about that 2K deposit.

Oh yeah I know but... Idk. Who knows. Im honestly hoping it takes a while because I have zero clue what to do about that 2K deposit.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It never occurred to me that I would have to scrap together 2k within a few days.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It never occurred to me that I would have to scrap together 2k within a few days.

Yeah but what really kills me is that its due 2 weeks from the email saying you've been accepted. Like, if you are going to charge that much, give me until December like every other school.

Yeah but what really kills me is that its due 2 weeks from the email saying you've been accepted. Like, if you are going to charge that much, give me until December like every other school.
Yep! Oh well, guess I'll need to be prepared to dig into my savings account.

II received a couple days ago for the Harlem campus. Interview dates offered are in mid-late October. Complete in early-mid September (sorry, trying to stay as anonymous as possible). OOS LM ~65.

II received a couple days ago for the Harlem campus. Interview dates offered are in mid-late October. Complete in early-mid September (sorry, trying to stay as anonymous as possible). OOS LM ~65.

They are still spots for mid-october?

They are interviewing very few people this cycle I guess

Last edited:
Anyone bother to ask why our clinical sites are so poor. Or why a lot of the faculty are leaving touoCOM? For those of you who end up here you should know that you'll have to deal with some of the most lazy staff and administration in exsistance.

Anyone bother to ask why our clinical sites are so poor. Or why a lot of the faculty are leaving touoCOM? For those of you who end up here you should know that you'll have to deal with some of the most lazy staff and administration in exsistance.
go away

Don't blame the school for your own failures

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else here interviewing on Monday at Middletown (Oct 2nd)?

why don't you just make a statement instead of saying "anyone bother to ask.."

also, existence*

anyone who interviewed at harlem care to share your experience?

Hey, does anyone know what the percentage is of getting an interview after submitting their secondary?

Hey, does anyone know what the percentage is of getting an interview after submitting their secondary?
They told me 10%.
The admissions dean said they get/give:
10000 primary apps
5000 secondaries
500 interviews
100ish available seats (masters program reserved seats)