2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They told me 10%.
The admissions dean said they get/give:
10000 primary apps
5000 secondaries
500 interviews
100ish available seats (masters program reserved seats)
10000 primary apps? That's some stellar number... According to MSAR most MD schools only get 5000 apps...

Members don't see this ad.

10000 primary apps? That's some stellar number... According to MSAR most MD schools only get 5000 apps...
The previous interview I attended said they expect 7000 primary apps, and this is a DO school in a rural area only on it's second year.

II just now!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my first II!
How is everyone getting there? Landing in Newark or JFK and taking an expensive ride there? Lol
Hey I'm a second year here. FYI to everyone the m60 bus is $2.75 from LaGuardia and drops off 3 avenues from campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Middletown or Harlem?

Harlem! I said "both - prefer harlem" on my secondary.

Is it really only 10% of interviewees that are accepted like someone said above? That's kinda surprising - I keep hearing of other DO schools that are way higher than that?

Haha I have no idea. I feel like different rumors go around each year. My year people were saying that if you got an interview, there was a 50/50 chance of getting in. Don't worry about the stats and just go into the interview with a mature, genuine attitude.

Harlem! I said "both - prefer harlem" on my secondary.

Is it really only 10% of interviewees that are accepted like someone said above? That's kinda surprising - I keep hearing of other DO schools that are way higher than that?
They are probably around 50%. They said 500 interviews for 100ish seats. They have 36 seats reserved for the masters program and then a few other seats reserved for those that deferred last year. I interviewed at a school that had 750 interviews for 150 seats and they accept 50%. Touro also requires a 2k deposit within 2 weeks where as most school don't need the deposit until December. I imagine this will free up more seats early on as more students will be declining their acceptances earlier rather than later, leaving more seats open for the early interviewees to grab.

They are probably around 50%. They said 500 interviews for 100ish seats. They have 36 seats reserved for the masters program and then a few other seats reserved for those that deferred last year. I interviewed at a school that had 750 interviews for 150 seats and they accept 50%. Touro also requires a 2k deposit within 2 weeks where as most school don't need the deposit until December. I imagine this will free up more seats early on as more students will be declining their acceptances earlier rather than later, leaving more seats open for the early interviewees to grab.

This is reassuring. Thank you!

Haha I have no idea. I feel like different rumors go around each year. My year people were saying that if you got an interview, there was a 50/50 chance of getting in. Don't worry about the stats and just go into the interview with a mature, genuine attitude.

Got it. That's good advice. Thank you! If possible, could I private message you at some point in the next few weeks to get a better idea of what I should expect and about your experience at the school? Not sure if this is kosher (and if that's the case then totally say nah!)-- just feel like there's limited information about the school online and this is the interview I'm most excited about so far!

In all honesty, after interviewing here I can say that I was not that impressed. Their numbers are only ok for COMLEX, the area is not bad, but they have limited clinical rotation sites, and the building is literally an old hospital with classes in the basement (the dorms are old patient rooms -- kinda creepy).

Got it. That's good advice. Thank you! If possible, could I private message you at some point in the next few weeks to get a better idea of what I should expect and about your experience at the school? Not sure if this is kosher (and if that's the case then totally say nah!)-- just feel like there's limited information about the school online and this is the interview I'm most excited about so far!
You can always reach out to people -- that is the point of SDN. Feel free to message me if you have questions about interview day, etc.

who here has interviewed at Middletown this year or last year? how did it go?

I will do the required reading through last year's thread, but I thought I would reach out across the electrons.

Members don't see this ad :)
In all honesty, after interviewing here I can say that I was not that impressed. Their numbers are only ok for COMLEX, the area is not bad, but they have limited clinical rotation sites, and the building is literally an old hospital with classes in the basement (the dorms are old patient rooms -- kinda creepy).

I interviewed there recently

I came in expecting it to be pretty bad (according to SDN) but left impressed. It's a nice school, with good facilities, and everyone there seems incredibly personable. Yeah, it's located in a old hospital, but the dorms are alright and you can live off campus if you want, no ones forcing you to stay in dorms. I don't understand this whole "it's in a old hospital so it sucks" attitude. It's just a building

Last edited:
Haha these was exactly my thoughts after interviewing. When we were touring the dorms, many of the applicants started asking about off-campus housing. I do like the flipped classroom curriculum but overall I got a shady vibe from the school. 2k deposit within 2 weeks, $200 secondary, high tuition, very high "miscellaneous fees per year" which to me sounded like a shady way of getting more money out of students while not having to raise the already high tuition.

who here has interviewed at Middletown this year or last year? how did it go?

I will do the required reading through last year's thread, but I thought I would reach out across the electrons.
Shoot me a Pm

I just recently interviewed here (October 2nd). In all honesty, I wasn't too impressed and I had a slightly negative time there. If anyone wants to discuss anything, feel free to pm me!

I just recently interviewed here (October 2nd). In all honesty, I wasn't too impressed and I had a slightly negative time there. If anyone wants to discuss anything, feel free to pm me!
Yeah I feel like everyone had this feeling during our interview. I had basically checked out by the time I was interviewing because I knew I didn't want to go here after the tour

Yeah I feel like everyone had this feeling during our interview. I had basically checked out by the time I was interviewing because I knew I didn't want to go here after the tour

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the tour, and my actual interviewers were pretty harsh. I'm not sure how everyone thought about their interviewers, but whenever someone came out they seemed way nicer and chill than mine. My interviewers didn't really get to know me, I thought. So I'm a little irked from that, but I'm also grumpy from being jet lagged, so I might just be salty lol.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the tour, and my actual interviewers were pretty harsh. I'm not sure how everyone thought about their interviewers, but whenever someone came out they seemed way nicer and chill than mine. My interviewers didn't really get to know me, I thought. So I'm a little irked from that, but I'm also grumpy from being jet lagged, so I might just be salty lol.
Mine too! One of my interviewers kept trying to talk me out of switching careers to do medicine but not before he crapped on my current career. It sounded like he was trying to talk me out of going to medical school.

Was this the Middletown or Harlem campus?

Mine too! One of my interviewers kept trying to talk me out of switching careers to do medicine but not before he crapped on my current career. It sounded like he was trying to talk me out of going to medical school.

Which campus did you interview at?

Seriously?! That's extremely uncalled for and unprofessional. I don't understand how a school could have faculty interviewing us with such biases and personalities and be able to actually select a class on actual merits.

It should say a lot that so many of us had the same terrible experience at Middletown! Literally as soon as I got into my car to leave I called my significant other to say it was off the list even if they offered a scholarship!

It should say a lot that so many of us had the same terrible experience at Middletown! Literally as soon as I got into my car to leave I called my significant other to say it was off the list even if they offered a scholarship!

Well, I'm glad to hear that I was not the only one! I truly left that place feeling that the majority had a great experience. It's relieving to hear that I'm not the only one lol.

Well, I'm glad to hear that I was not the only one! I truly left that place feeling that the majority had a great experience. It's relieving to hear that I'm not the only one lol.
I think everyone was trying to keep face and pretend they were not as disappointed in the school as they really were.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. I'm okay with the facilities, but the interviewers left a sour taste in my mouth.

I talked to other people there and they felt the same.

Unfortunately this is my wife's top choice. She really wants to NY since she has family up there. If I get accepted, I'll just have the bite the bullet. I really did think the curriculum was great and it's a flipped classroom so you can spend most of your time at home. I also think they know they are nobodies first choice because they demand their 2k deposit right away before you can hear back from other schools.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is my wife's top choice. She really wants to NY since she has family. If I get accepted, I'll just have the bite the bullet. I really did think the curriculum was great and it's a flipped classroom so you can spend most of your time at home. I also think they know they are nobodies first choice because they demand their 2k deposit right away before you can hear back from other schools.

I interviewed at their Harlem campus and liked it quite a bit actually.

I think most of us with complaints were from the middletown campus, I put a preference on their middletown cause I didn't want to live downtown

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately this is my wife's top choice. She really wants to NY since she has family. If I get accepted, I'll just have the bite the bullet. I really did think the curriculum was great and it's a flipped classroom so you can spend most of your time at home. I also think they know they are nobodies first choice because they demand their 2k deposit right away before you can hear back from other schools.
The area is nice though, so just get through the 4 years and then you are a doctor in a nice area. But I feel like so many of us have our top picks based on where our significant other wants to live haha!

Seriously?! That's extremely uncalled for and unprofessional. I don't understand how a school could have faculty interviewing us with such biases and personalities and be able to actually select a class on actual merits.
I should note that this particular interviewer was not affiliated with the school so I don't think he was concerned with if I liked the school or not. His first comment to me (wasn't even a question!) was that he went to school with people that were were in my field and they would have made terrible doctors. I wasn't really sure how to respond to that. He ended the interview by saying that he wasn't confident that I could keep up with my classmates because I'm a nontrad. The other interviewer (who actually was affiliated with the school) cut him off and said she doesn't think it'll be a problem lol.

Oh wow. Sorry to hear about your guys' experience at the Middletown campus. I'm sure you will all receive offers elsewhere, considering that you all interviewed so early in the cycle!

Suge1, do you mind sharing what you liked and disliked about the campus in Harlem? I'll be interviewing there later this month!

Oh wow. Sorry to hear about your guys' experience at the Middletown campus. I'm sure you will all receive offers elsewhere, considering that you all interviewed so early in the cycle!

Suge1, do you mind sharing what you liked and disliked about the campus in Harlem? I'll be interviewing there later this month!

It's in NYC so there isn't really a campus - the dean put it as "NYC is your whole campus" and its true - the subway is a couple of blocks away and the first year student said he just biked everywhere. The one building is small and is shared with the pharmacy students but has everything we need and is opened 24/7 (except the library cause of the books) with security. The faculty and students were very chilled, nice and outgoing. They really emphasized their open door policy and told us to relax and be ourselves. I couldn't really read my two interviewers but they weren't intimidating or anything; it seemed like they really wanted to know why I wanted to go into osteopathic medicine and my experiences. Their style was to let me talk until they had specific questions (hopefully that didn't mean I was babbling!) and answered all my questions thoroughly.

The faculty seems really proud of their school/curriculum. The only thing that caught me off guard was how one faculty member during a Q/A was really adamant about studying in the style he liked and didn't think other methods were as effective but I think that was more him trying to sell the school.

Last edited:
It's in NYC so there isn't really a campus - the dean put it as "NYC is your whole campus" and its true - the subway is a couple of blocks away and the first year student said he just biked everywhere. The one building is small and is shared with the pharmacy students but has everything we need and is opened 24/7 (except the library cause of the books) with security. The faculty and students were very chilled, nice and outgoing. They really emphasized their open door policy and told us to relax and be ourselves. I couldn't really read my two interviewers but they weren't intimidating or anything; it seemed like they really wanted to know why I wanted to go into osteopathic medicine and my experiences. Their style was to let me talked until they had specific questions (hopefully that didn't mean I was babbling!) and answered all my questions thoroughly.

Thanks so much for your insight! Do you mind if I PM you with more specific questions?

II! :)

(Sorry, I'm new to SDN. How do people add their information about #applications, LizzyM at the bottom of their replies?)

Mine is
DO Primaries: 11 l Secondaries: 11 l II: 4 l Accepted: 1 l Waitlist: 0 l Rejection: 0
LizzyM: 66.10, ORM/Asian - CA resident

II! :)

(Sorry, I'm new to SDN. How do people add their information about #applications, LizzyM at the bottom of their replies?)

Mine is
DO Primaries: 11 l Secondaries: 11 l II: 4 l Accepted: 1 l Waitlist: 0 l Rejection: 0
LizzyM: 66.10, ORM/Asian - CA resident
When you click on your username in the top right corner, there is an option for "signature". The text under your signature will show up under each of your posts.

II for Harlem!!! Anyone who could provide any info on how to prepare for the interview, as it is my first one, would be extremely appreciated! I'm wondering what were the interview questions like?! Feeling so excited and nervous!

II for Harlem!!! Anyone who could provide any info on how to prepare for the interview, as it is my first one, would be extremely appreciated! I'm wondering what were the interview questions like?! Feeling so excited and nervous!

Some applicants from previous interview dates shared their experiences here:
https :// schools.studentdoctor. net/school/tourocom-ny/survey/27/touro-college-of-osteopathic-medicine-new-york/0

Good luck!! :D

Yeah sure thing! I'll try to give as unbiased an answer as I can.

late response time for me but I have a II in Middletown Oct. 23. I am flying to Newark and thinking about renting a car for a few days. Where did you guys stay the night?

late response time for me but I have a II in Middletown Oct. 23. I am flying to Newark and thinking about renting a car for a few days. Where did you guys stay the night?
I stayed at the Microtel Inn & Suites. It's right next to the Marriott that the school says they have a special rate with, but way cheaper and still pretty nice rooms. It's only about 10 minutes away from the school, and there was no traffic getting there in the morning.

Reactions: 2 users
For everyone that interviewed at Middletown, how long did they say it would take to hear back? They told me 2-4 weeks but told the group that interviewed a week before me 4-8 weeks.

Anyone bother to ask why our clinical sites are so poor. Or why a lot of the faculty are leaving touoCOM? For those of you who end up here you should know that you'll have to deal with some of the most lazy staff and administration in exsistance.

This user has been on every thread regarding Touro Middletown posting the same exact, nondescript posts. When asked whether he/she can elaborate, this user responds by saying ask the faculty or admin instead of replaying with his or her own experiences. Clearly, this is just one disgruntled student, who possibly didn't get their preferred rotation site, and is blaming it on the school and not providing any details.

Surely, each and every student is entitled to their own opinion. Of course there are going to be students who don't like the campus or the school in geneeral. However, the fact that they are being vague makes me wonder. Please provide examples to help all applicants make an informed decision, instead of being vague. For example, what makes our clinical sites poor? Which clinical sites? Is it from personal experience? Because it is my understanding that you rotate through 1 clinical site (and their associated healthcare sites) for all of 3rd year, and then 4th year you're free to audition where you want if you please.

As for faculty, who has left? Within the past year, I know 1 professor who left but that's because she was an extremely horrible teacher. Another professor left this year due to a family emergency. The year before, another professor left for maternity reasons I believe. However, she is now back teaching at the school this year. As for your other statement, what makes the staff and admin lazy? Personally, I have been to the offices of MANY professors, unscheduled and unannounced, and they have been nothing but helpful and even eager to help. They cleared up any confusion that I had on the matter at hand and at no point did I feel that they were rushing to get me out of the office or any hint of laziness. The same goes for the rest of the admin and even deans.

Again, I just ask that you please provide more details in your posts. I'm pretty sure everybody would appreciate it.

Reactions: 5 users
For everyone that interviewed at Middletown, how long did they say it would take to hear back? They told me 2-4 weeks but told the group that interviewed a week before me 4-8 weeks.

He said 4 to 6 weeks. Most likely longer than 4 because apparently there are a lot of Jewish holidays in October so there are less days to review apps. For the previous two interview groups (before Oct 2nd) he said decisions were already made, but not sent out yet.