2017-2018 University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback
University of Florida Interview Feedback
Interviewed at UF? Please complete an Interview Feedback Survey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

I'm a rising second year, and I help with the admissions welcoming committee on interview days at UF. If you have any questions about the school please don't hesitate to message me! I really love being here and want to make sure everyone is informed about the school and application process.

Good luck in applying to med school, its a very long but potentially very rewarding adventure.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone having trouble getting the payment processed? I've tried several valid credit cards and it won't process.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. If you are not a full-time student during this application cycle, in particular at any time between September 2017 and May 2018, please detail your current and planned activities below. 250-500 words

2. Just check some boxes

Please limit your response to 250-500 words
The medical profession is frequently described as being both a science and an art. One could summarize this by saying that patients must “be well cared for” (science) but they must also “feel well cared for” (art). Indeed, the late physician, writer and ethicist, Dr. Edmund Pelegrino affirms both the science and art of medicine. But when discussing the nature of the physician/patient relationship he says the following, “The act specific to medicine, that which makes it medicine and thereby distinguishes it from both science and art, is the decision about what is right and good for a particular patient now, with this set of needs, arising out of this particular illness…It is the practical decision, taken in the best interest of a particular person, not in the interest of new knowledge, of society or of the physician.” We work to teach our students not only the scientific principles of medicine, but also the core values of medicine, often called “professionalism”. Toward this end we keep patients at the center of our education and often reflect on their stories with our students.

• 3. Using the links provided, please read two essays written by University of Florida College of Medicine students as part of their clinical rotations. One tells the story of a student’s experience giving “Bad News” to a patient and her family with his attending physician. The second uses the wear and tear of the “The White Coat” as a way to reflect upon what lessons she learned during the third year of medical school. Pick one of these and tell us what attributes of a good physician you would like to emulate are highlighted in these accounts.

4. As part of graduation from medical school students at most institutions recite a version of the Hippocratic Oath. This oath dates back to the 5th century and is one of the earliest declarations that a physician will seek the primacy of patient interest in all matters. Similar themes were echoed by the 12th century physician/scholar Moses Maimonides in his famous prayer, “…Inspire me with love for my art and for Thy creatures. Do not allow thirst for profit, ambition for renown and admiration, to interfere with my profession, for these are the enemies of truth and of love for mankind and they can lead astray...” Our admissions mission reads as follows,"We desire to recruit and matriculate the brightest students who are intellectually curious, have a strong work ethic and a deep commitment to humanism and service. In so doing we will train the next generation of caring, compassionate, and culturally competent medical professionals, be they practitioners, researchers and/or teachers."These wonderful ideals are not simply skills to learn, but assume that physicians are virtuous and that their practice grows naturally from these virtues; which raises a question. What are the most important virtues of a physician and how can they be nurtured or undermined? Please consider this question and offer us your thoughts below.

Reactions: 1 users
I was having difficulty with the payment system as well but I did see this info line on the app submit tab.

You can save your application and return later, but you will not be able to submit your application until our payment process is in place. You will be notified once it is ready

Reactions: 1 user
I was having difficulty with the payment system as well but I did see this info line on the app submit tab.

You can save your application and return later, but you will not be able to submit your application until our payment process is in place. You will be notified once it is ready
Interesting. Wonder if that could push their timeline back a bit...

Having issues with the payment .... does anyone know how to fix this? Its a Saturday and no one is answering. Help :( !

Having issues with the payment .... does anyone know how to fix this? Its a Saturday and no one is answering. Help :( !

When you go to submit the application it has a line that I referenced in an earlier post that says they will alert us once the payment system is in place

How are you all approaching essay prompt 1? Specifically:

1) Would it be ill advised to just list each trait and then have small blurb about it?
2) Are you pointing out the trait and explaining where it is seen or are you also diving into why you want to emulate it?

Now that secondary season is upon us, I thought I should drop a line.

Like Munty, I am a (rising) MS2 who is actively involved with the Admissions Welcoming Committee. I will probably get to see most of you on interview day! If you have specific questions about the school, I'm available by PM and I'll also be checking the thread regularly to help out.

Good luck to all and hope to see you on interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody have any clue when we can submit?

Payment is up and running I was able to submit my fee and then submitted the application about five minutes ago.

Reactions: 2 users
How are you all approaching essay prompt 1? Specifically:

1) Would it be ill advised to just list each trait and then have small blurb about it?
2) Are you pointing out the trait and explaining where it is seen or are you also diving into why you want to emulate it?

I listed each trait, talked about how the physician in the story shows it, and then had a sentence or two on how I have already developed the trait / would like to work on it. Both of my essay responses feel pretty boring and generic though, not sure how to spice it up without going completely off-prompt... Anyone else have any ideas?

I listed each trait, talked about how the physician in the story shows it, and then had a sentence or two on how I have already developed the trait / would like to work on it. Both of my essay responses feel pretty boring and generic though, not sure how to spice it up without going completely off-prompt... Anyone else have any ideas?

Debating whether it'd be more beneficial to list more traits or develop on a few that I list. But I agree, I feel like most of our responses will be pretty similar :\ guess we'll only be able to stand out if we find some 'hidden gem' values lol

Debating whether it'd be more beneficial to list more traits or develop on a few that I list. But I agree, I feel like most of our responses will be pretty similar :\ guess we'll only be able to stand out if we find some 'hidden gem' values lol

I just chose two and wrote a paragraph on each

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Secondary received

This is my dream school so hopefully things go well!

Last edited:

Last edited:
Congrats !! When did you send in your secondary, if you don't mind me asking ? :)
Thank you!! Well they had the whole issue with the payment so I sent it in as soon as I saw someone in here post about it being up!

Thank you!! Well they had the whole issue with the payment so I sent it in as soon as I saw someone in here post about it being up!
Oh! thats right ! Did they call?

Last edited:
Secondary submitted last night! Here's hoping!

Hi everyone,
I'm about to start at UF in just a few weeks as an M1! I'm beyond excited to be a Florida Gator and I hope many of you will join us next fall.
Please reach out to me if you have any questions about the essays, interview, UF's program, etc.
FYI: I'm IS for Florida. My LizzyM was 72 and I came from a top 15 undergrad. I completed the UF secondary 7/22, received my II 12/23, interviewed 1/20, and was accepted 1/31.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,
I'm about to start at UF in just a few weeks as an M1! I'm beyond excited to be a Florida Gator and I hope many of you will join us next fall.
Please reach out to me if you have any questions about the essays, interview, UF's program, etc.
FYI: my LizzyM was 72 and I came from a top 15 undergrad. I completed the UF secondary 7/22, received my II 12/23, interviewed 1/20, and was accepted 1/31.

Congrats on starting! Thanks for posting your dates, that's definitely helpful.

Hi everyone,
FYI: my LizzyM was 72 and I came from a top 15 undergrad. I completed the UF secondary 7/22, received my II 12/23, interviewed 1/20, and was accepted 1/31.

My stats are similar and I'm hoping to get this application completed this weekend. Quick question - when filling out the extroverted/introverted section, can we select aspects of each that might seem to contradict each other? How did you approach that last year when you were filling out the application?

Yes, definitely! I clicked a few of each.
Be honest about who you are - UF's questions and essays made up the most introspective application I had, which was really helpful in determining my fit with their class and philosophy.

Secondary submitted, loving this school from my research and word of mouth!

Anyone having trouble with payment? I'm ready to submit but it does not seem to be working-- Resolved an hour later. Submitted :)

Last edited: