2017-2018 University of North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a current UND student, please feel free to reach out with any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

How is med school? How are the classes structured? How is the area? Are your classmates cool?

I'm interviewing in mid January (coming from OOS). Am I going to die? What do I need to bring to stay warm?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing in mid January (coming from OOS). Am I going to die? What do I need to bring to stay warm?

Layers my boy. Get a nice base layer (perhaps smartwool) for under your clothes while in the area.

How is med school? How are the classes structured? How is the area? Are your classmates cool?
Med school is a ton of work, but it's very rewarding to see how much we are capable of learning in such a short amount of time. UND's curriculum is divided into 8-week blocks. Generally we are in lecture 8-10 am every day and between 2-3 or 4 pm M/W/F. Between 10-12 we are in Patient Centered Learning (PCL) M/W/F or lab T/Th.

I went to UND for undergrad as well, and I am not terribly fond of Grand Forks; the weather is miserable ~70% of the time between the wind and the cold, and there isn't much going on around town aside from your typical college town bars and whatnot. However, my classmates are great, and we find ways to entertain ourselves. Our school itself is brand new and it is a beautiful facility, and it was built to suit our curriculum, so everything flows really well. Our classmates are very collaborative, and the faculty and classes ahead of us are all eager to help us in any way they can.

January can be hit or miss, but generally speaking it's cold and windy. I think on my interview date it was -2°, and that's not accounting for wind chill. That being said, the medical school is in its own building and you won't be doing any walking outside for any significant period of time, so it's definitely manageable. I wore a dressy wool jacket with a scarf and gloves, but there were plenty of other interviewees who wore their regular winter jackets - I'm certain UND isn't deciding who to admit based on their cold weather gear. I'd wear a traditional interview suit, and be sure to bring a warm jacket and gloves and possibly a scarf.

Last edited:
Med school is a ton of work, but it's very rewarding to see how much we are capable of learning in such a short amount of time. UND's curriculum is divided into 8-week blocks. Generally we are in lecture 8-10 am every day and between 2-3 or 4 pm M/W/F. Between 10-12 we are in Patient Centered Learning (PCL) M/W/F or lab T/Th.

I went to UND for undergrad as well, and I am not terribly fond of Grand Forks; the weather is miserable ~70% of the time between the wind and the cold, and there isn't much going on around town aside from your typical college town bars and whatnot. However, my classmates are great, and we find ways to entertain ourselves. Our school itself is brand new and it is a beautiful facility, and it was built to suit our curriculum, so everything flows really well. Our classmates are very collaborative, and the faculty and classes ahead of us are all eager to help us in any way they can.

January can be hit or miss, but generally speaking it's cold and windy. I think on my interview date it was -2°, and that's not accounting for wind chill. That being said, the medical school is in its own building and you won't be doing any walking outside for any significant period of time, so it's definitely manageable. I wore a dressy wool jacket with a scarf and gloves, but there were plenty of other interviewees who wore their regular winter jackets - I'm certain UND isn't deciding who to admit based on their cold weather gear. I'd wear a traditional interview suit, and be sure to bring a warm jacket and gloves and possibly a scarf.
I am interviewing mid December. Will they still have spots open by then or am I really interviewing for waitlist? Also, what is the interview to acceptance percentage?

I am interviewing mid December. Will they still have spots open by then or am I really interviewing for waitlist? Also, what is the interview to acceptance percentage?
Other than early acceptance program spots, UND doesn't start interviewing until December, so there are definitely spots available. I can't really speak to the interview to acceptance percentage specifically, but the MSAR might be able to give better insight. It also depends on IS/OOS status - the majority of the class is IS, as UND is a state-funded medical school.

Other than early acceptance program spots, UND doesn't start interviewing until December, so there are definitely spots available. I can't really speak to the interview to acceptance percentage specifically, but the MSAR might be able to give better insight. It also depends on IS/OOS status - the majority of the class is IS, as UND is a state-funded medical school.

I'm not early decision and I'm interviewing in a week...

Any INMED applicants have an interview scheduled?

Reactions: 1 user
Any INMED applicants have an interview scheduled?
I was wondering the same thing! Although I see from the INMED website that, "Selections for INMED interviews are typically made in December, and invitations from the Admissions office are emailed shortly thereafter."
(Academic Year Programs | Indians Into Medicine | School of Medicine & Health Sciences | UND: University of North Dakota)

Still, let me know if you hear anything! This is a program I am excited about.

I'm not early decision and I'm interviewing in a week...
I'm curious if anyone has been offered acceptance as a result of the interviews that were held this past weekend (Nov 10-12). It sounded like they accept on a rolling basis if you meet specific criteria, otherwise expect to hear from them sometime in late January.

Hi all! I just interviewed this weekend and was told that they do not do rolling admissions. You will not here about acceptance until after January 20th (when they're done interviewing). It sounded like the only people who get accepted earlier than this are outstanding interviewees from in state.

Hi all! I just interviewed this weekend and was told that they do not do rolling admissions. You will not here about acceptance until after January 20th (when they're done interviewing). It sounded like the only people who get accepted earlier than this are outstanding interviewees from in state.
That’s good. At least everyone has a shot

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard a similar mantra last weekend. My interviewer suggested that the committee will meet, discuss, and take a general vote, but only a very select few will actually be "decided" before mid-Jan

Just got an interview invite for INMED today! It seems like they're interviewing all INMED candidates on January 20.

I’m a little confused on the residency requirements. I’m not applying until next year, but as a military member serving in North Dakota (although not a resident) that has interest in staying here, would my application just be tossed into the trash? According to UND’s website, yes. According to a few posters in this thread, no, as that would demonstrate significant ties.

I’m a little confused on the residency requirements. I’m not applying until next year, but as a military member serving in North Dakota (although not a resident) that has interest in staying here, would my application just be tossed into the trash? According to UND’s website, yes. According to a few posters in this thread, no, as that would demonstrate significant ties.
Thank you for your service! How long have you been stationed in ND and at which location? My understanding is that living/working/serving in the state would qualify as significant ties to the area.

Thank you for your service! How long have you been stationed in ND and at which location? My understanding is that living/working/serving in the state would qualify as significant ties to the area.

Thanks for your support! As far as my location, let’s just say there are two active duty bases in the state, and I’m at one of them. :) I’ll have been here over two years by the time I apply. I grew up in a rural area so the area reminds me of home.

Thanks for your support! As far as my location, let’s just say there are two active duty bases in the state, and I’m at one of them. :) I’ll have been here over two years by the time I apply. I grew up in a rural area so the area reminds me of home.

I'm just an applicant, so I would trust most others over me, but for what it's worth I think your rural background and service in the state would get you fair consideration. I'm fairly familiar with both bases in the state, and both communities are well-integrated with the school. The MILE track and obviously GF AFB being right outside of GF. You can always contact the office of admission as well, I've found them very helpful. Best of luck!!

I'm just an applicant, so I would trust most others over me, but for what it's worth I think your rural background and service in the state would get you fair consideration. I'm fairly familiar with both bases in the state, and both communities are well-integrated with the school. The MILE track and obviously GF AFB being right outside of GF. You can always contact the office of admission as well, I've found them very helpful. Best of luck!!

Will do! Best of luck to you in your cycle as well!

Just got an interview invite for INMED today! It seems like they're interviewing all INMED candidates on January 20.
I received my interview invite as well. Did you by chance apply to USD?

Reactions: 1 users
I received my interview invite as well. Did you by chance apply to USD?

Yes, I did! Did you? It’s really nice that both SD and ND are interviewing on Jan. 20 in Grand Forks.

Interview waitlist.

This is kind of weird. The way the email reads, it sounds like they do indeed want to invite me to interview, but there are not enough slots:

"Congratulations! You have been selected to interview with the Committee on Admissions of the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, due to the large number of outstanding candidates, interview spots are filled on a first-completed, first-offered basis. There are currently no available interview times; you will be contacted via telephone if and when a spot becomes available and given an opportunity to accept it. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions."

Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the odds of getting an interview off this waitlist? Is this something that everybody gets instead of a straight up rejection?

Interview waitlist.

This is kind of weird. The way the email reads, it sounds like they do indeed want to invite me to interview, but there are not enough slots:

"Congratulations! You have been selected to interview with the Committee on Admissions of the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, due to the large number of outstanding candidates, interview spots are filled on a first-completed, first-offered basis. There are currently no available interview times; you will be contacted via telephone if and when a spot becomes available and given an opportunity to accept it. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions."

Does anyone have any experience with this? What are the odds of getting an interview off this waitlist? Is this something that everybody gets instead of a straight up rejection?

That's pretty troll lol. I would imagine in the coming weeks there may be applicants withdrawing II due to being accepted elsewhere, and in that case you may get a short notice "come interview with us on this date" email. Weird how they can't just make room for you though.

That's pretty troll lol. I would imagine in the coming weeks there may be applicants withdrawing II due to being accepted elsewhere, and in that case you may get a short notice "come interview with us on this date" email. Weird how they can't just make room for you though.

It almost borders on unethical. They're essentially lying to me, especially if they give one of these to everybody.

It almost borders on unethical. They're essentially lying to me, especially if they give one of these to everybody.
They don't send it to everyone in place of a rejection email. I was straight rejected back in October.

Accepted!!! Never thought I'd hear back super soon i.e. days after my interview omg

Withdrew my interview. Hope it goes to one of you fantastic people!
OOS tuition is too crazy high.

Withdrew my interview. Hope it goes to one of you fantastic people!
OOS tuition is too crazy high.
OOS Tuition is crazy high everywhere! It's not very fair to us out-of-staters that come from a state lacking their own medical school. Meh, for the honor of one day serving others as a physician, it will be worth it.

Good luck on the rest of your interview season!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS Tuition is crazy high everywhere! It's not very fair to us out-of-staters that come from a state lacking their own medical school. Meh, for the honor of one day serving others as a physician, it will be worth it.

Good luck on the rest of your interview season!

Agreed!!! It’s not fair at all that some states don’t even have a medical school.

Accepted!!! Never thought I'd hear back super soon i.e. days after my interview omg

Congratulations! Do you have any advice for the interview? Feel free to PM if you want!

Has anyone else heard anything? I'm sure they only offer acceptances to select few before all interviews are finished?

Has anyone else heard anything? I'm sure they only offer acceptances to select few before all interviews are finished?
When are the interviews supposed to be finished?

Good luck to those interviewing this weekend!

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back? I was part of the group that interviewed this last weekend and am not sure when they said we would hear.

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear back? I was part of the group that interviewed this last weekend and am not sure when they said we would hear.

Were you the last group to be interviewed? Or will they be interviewing this weekend as well?

Were you the last group to be interviewed? Or will they be interviewing this weekend as well?
This Indians into Medicine Interviews are this weekend. Although I am not sure if they are also doing more interviews outside of that program this weekend.

This Indians into Medicine Interviews are this weekend. Although I am not sure if they are also doing more interviews outside of that program this weekend.
There are "regular" interviews this weekend as well. It sounds like decisions can be expected relatively soon after this weekend's interviews

I would guess that those who interviewed the 12th & 13th would hear back within the next 5 days. I've been checking my emails like crazy!

I would guess that those who interviewed the 12th & 13th would hear back within the next 5 days. I've been checking my emails like crazy!
I have heard that all decisions that haven't been made should come in the next week or two, with a waitlist formed/ordered shortly after. This may be inaccurate, but it's come from a couple places so I'm holding out hope it's correct!

I think that the emails will go out this week.. Last year it was the 24th of January, which was a Tuesday.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that the emails will go out this week.. Last year it was the 24th of January, which was a Tuesday.
Good luck to everyone! Waiting anxiously for a response

Reactions: 2 users