**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you apply early? ECs lit?
ehh its whatever at this stage...got an acceptance so I'm happy!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
ehh its whatever at this stage...got an acceptance so I'm happy!
I hear that. I'm applying next cycle so hopefully I get some of that same luck. Just praying to get into my state school.
Congratulations to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 520 MCAT but I'm guessing my sub 3.3 GPA was what kept me from getting any top 20 interviews. I did have almost two years of 4.0 though at the end so idk I thought they would have looked at that more

After reading my own post, I realized that with my stats I was lucky to be accepted, Im sorry SDN gods

Members don't see this ad :)
After reading my own post, I realized that with my stats I was lucky to be accepted, Im sorry SDN gods
Idk bro, you had a 4.0 post bacc with a 520 mcat lol, but you can be humble if you want

Reactions: 4 users
I’m going to need IU to send me any news on my acceptance ASAP. I need to figure out my MCAT studying schedule otherwise +pity+

I’m going to need IU to send me any news on my acceptance ASAP. I need to figure out my MCAT studying schedule otherwise +pity+
When did you interview? Good luck on hearing back news from them! I thought it was annoying how they only sent acceptances via snail mail like it's 1990 or whatever. :laugh::wtf: Why you restudying for the MCAT?

I'm in the same boat, hoping that I don't ever have to touch that exam again though

When did you interview? Good luck on hearing back news from them! I thought it was annoying how they only sent acceptances via snail mail like it's 1990 or whatever. :laugh::wtf: Why you restudying for the MCAT?
January 10th. And they really should all or email. Like this is so unnecessary.

And my MCAT was trash as fuq.

January 10th. And they really should all or email. Like this is so unnecessary.

And my MCAT was trash as fuq.
Gotcha! You got a while then! Decisions unfortunately don't go out until the 15th of each month, so the soonest you'll hear is mid-February! But via snail mail.

I think it’s the wording. Because they claim to look at all aspects, but it’s conditional. It’s either you’re holistic or not. Because chances are if you’re scoring a 509, you also have a chance to get into other schools as well that aren’t NW and 509 is their bare minimum. It doesn’t matter what else you have if that isn’t there.

My friend did her undergrad there and the diversity told her to not bother applying with her score, but she’s welcome to. She didn’t receive an interview there but did at schools like University of Chicago, University of Washington, Medical College of Wisconsin and etc. She scored a 502 or 503 and attends UIC now.

tf, your friend interviewed at UChicago with a 503??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so over this entire dang process. I just got my 7th rejection and I see people around me with interviews and acceptances and it makes me so very bitter (I usually don't have these feelings).

I'm just about ready to give up this year and say "whatever".

Reactions: 1 users
I think I’m done with this whole process.

Good luck guys!

I think I’m done with this whole process.

Good luck guys!
Are you a re applicant? can you give it another shot next year. If you want to be a physician, then I think its worth it. Do you think you had access to the help you needed when applying i.e material, proof reading, mentoring?

Are you a re applicant? can you give it another shot next year. If you want to be a physician, then I think its worth it. Do you think you had access to the help you needed when applying i.e material, proof reading, mentoring?

1st time applicant
I’m already old (25 going on 26) and this whole process has just rubbed me the wrong way.

I had almost no help in applying and my undergrad sucks at sending people to med school unless you knew you were interested in like high school.

I’m just sick of rejection despite years of work. What kills me is schools won’t even give you a hint as to why you’re not good enough so you could reapply and still not get in.

Last edited:
1st time applicant
I’m already old (25 going on 26) and this whole process has just rubbed me the wrong way.

I had almost no help in applying and my undergrad sucks at sending people to med school.

Got it. I think you are still young enough to apply. Maybe you just need to get together a good support team. My undergrad is a good one, but honestly, because I didnt apply straight out of undergrad, I didnt use them at all. Inf fact, they took forever to provide me with a committee letter and caused me to become complete very late in the cycle. I know what you mean. But I was able to have friends review and seek support from mentors at work. Obviously, easier said than done.

I wish I could help review your application and see what things need to be improved or more focused. I hate seeing people drop their dreams of becoming a doc. Especially us on this URM thread, because the US really needs more physicians like us.

Got it. I think you are still young enough to apply. Maybe you just need to get together a good support team. My undergrad is a good one, but honestly, because I didnt apply straight out of undergrad, I didnt use them at all. Inf fact, they took forever to provide me with a committee letter and caused me to become complete very late in the cycle. I know what you mean. But I was able to have friends review and seek support from mentors at work. Obviously, easier said than done.

I wish I could help review your application and see what things need to be improved or more focused. I hate seeing people drop their dreams of becoming a doc. Especially us on this URM thread, because the US really needs more physicians like us.

I mean I know my gpa (3.3) and MCAT (500) suck but I just feel like improvements take time and money of which I have neither.

I applied to Georgetown GEMS so maybe that’ll work out.

1st time applicant

I had almost no help in applying and my undergrad sucks at sending people to med school.
I mean I know my gpa (3.3) and MCAT (500) suck but I just feel like improvements take time and money of which I have neither.

I applied to Georgetown GEMS so maybe that’ll work out.
I totally get where you are coming from but don't give up on your dreams so soon. This is my 4th application cycle, I took MCAT 3 times, I am older than you and I'm international (another hurdle). It wasn't until this cycle that I received solid premedical advice and some interviews, and although I don't know how this will all turn out in the end, I think its worth pursuing if you are truly passionate about medicine. This is our life and you have a chance to impact others in a way of your choosing. Don't settle when you can still get to where you want to be. In 10 years, the difference between that one year of re-application versus a lifetime of unfulfilled dreams will seem like it was a no brainer, and if you don't try again you will likely regret it.

Reactions: 6 users
1st time applicant

I had almost no help in applying and my undergrad sucks at sending people to med school unless you knew you were interested in like high school.

I’m just sick of rejection despite years of work. What kills me is schools won’t even give you a hint as to why you’re not good enough so you could reapply and still not get in.
Dont give up! I was 25 when i started my post-bacc and had not taken the MCAT yet and I'm 27 now so youre not that old. You just have to accept that this dream is going to cost time and money. my post-bacc was $9000 all out of pocket but was necessary for me to get where i needed to be in terms of my GPA.

Did you apply DO as well?

Dont give up! I was 25 when i started my post-bacc and had not taken the MCAT yet and I'm 27 now so youre not that old. You just have to accept that this dream is going to cost time and money. my post-bacc was $9000 all out of pocket but was necessary for me to get where i needed to be in terms of my GPA.

Did you apply DO as well?

I only applied MD. I appreciate the encouragement but I still live at home and there is NO WAY I can ever afford to get this much money together without loans or something. Additionally, I eventually have to move out.

I don’t want to give up but I see little to no options to continue.

I make $9 an hour

I wish I had the resources to continue but I really don’t see how I can press forward.

A PhD program is interviewing me in February and I could do that and maybe apply later but everyone says med schools won’t care about a graduate degree. The graduate degree has tuition waiver and a good stipend so I’m just really torn on what to do.

Would the PhD really be meaningless if I applied after receiving it?

Last edited:
I only applied MD. I appreciate the encouragement but I still live at home and there is NO WAY I can ever afford to get this much money together without loans or something. Additionally, I eventually have to move out.

I don’t want to give up but I see little to no options to continue.

I make $9 an hour

I wish I had the resources to continue but I really don’t see how I can press forward.

A PhD program is interviewing me in February and I could do that and maybe apply later but everyone says med schools won’t care about a graduate degree. The graduate degree has tuition waiver and a good stipend so I’m just really torn on what to do.

Would the PhD really be meaningless if I applied after receiving it?
The real question is, will you want to go to med school after going through 4-6 years of getting your PhD?
That would be another 7 years after a PhD before you get to practice which is potentially 11-13 years from now.
You could retake the MCAT and up your ECs, I feel like that would make a world of difference in your app. For example, a 500 to a 510 would be great.
Post-bacc would be nice to but you say your limited on money so I am not sure how else you would do it besides getting loans or saving(which might take too long), but you could do a short stint, like 20 something credits or a semester.

The real question is, will you want to go to med school after going through 4-6 years of getting your PhD?
That would be another 7 years after a PhD before you get to practice which is potentially 11-13 years from now.
You could retake the MCAT and up your ECs, I feel like that would make a world of difference in your app. For example, a 500 to a 510 would be great.
Post-bacc would be nice to but you say your limited on money so I am not sure how else you would do it besides getting loans or saving(which might take too long), but you could do a short stint, like 20 something credits or a semester.

I could take the MCAT again but that’s pretty much it.

If I were able to increase my score by about 12 points, would that lead to a more favorable app?

I could take the MCAT again but that’s pretty much it.

If I were able to increase my score by about 12 points, would that lead to a more favorable app?
Yes, actually by a lot. Question for you though, why are you willing to do a phD over retaking the MCAT to get in to medical school?
If I recall correctly, you're interested in a phD and thats cool if you are, but it would be a waste of time to do it just for your med schools application.
Also, your MCAT will expire in 3 years so you would have to retake the MCAT after your PhD anyways.

Yes, actually by a lot. Question for you though, why are you willing to do a phD over retaking the MCAT to get in to medical school?
If I recall correctly, you're interested in a phD and thats cool if you are, but it would be a waste of time to do it just for your med schools application.
Also, your MCAT will expire in 3 years so you would have to retake the MCAT after your PhD anyways.

It’s just that the PhD app is going so smoothly and this process is so hard.

If I took the MCAT again this May and did will should I just reapply right away?

I understand "holistic" admissions to mean that in addition to good scores, you also need good ECs. It's not making the application process more lenient but rather more rigorous--i.e. just because someone has a 4.0 and 520 MCAT doesn't mean they're accepted; they ALSO need the ECs to match.

Sorry for my language lol. But to get interviewed at Chicago w/ a 26 equivalent.. damn. Did she have a super high gpa to offset the MCAT?
She went to Northwestern. Had a 3.4/3.3. She had excellent ECs though. I’m not sure what her personal statement ended up like but I know it started rough/terrible and was something she had to work on.

Hi all! I've taken a break from SDN for the past few months (and will likely continue to do so through the cycle), mostly to focus on my personal well-being and state of mind during this arduous process, but I wanted to spread some love, positivity, and congratulations everyone's way! I've been scrolling through the forum this morning and it makes me so proud to see how well everyone is doing. And for those who haven't received the news they've been looking for, keep pushing and you will prevail! Much love <3

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! I'm in the process of writing my PS and was wondering if any of you guys are willing to read it and give me some feedback. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It’s just that the PhD app is going so smoothly and this process is so hard.

If I took the MCAT again this May and did will should I just reapply right away?
I would retake the MCAT and apply DO next cycle as well. With your GPA and if you don't have a big upward trend, MD is going to be tough. Plus you will probably qualify for the fee waiver through the DO application service which all schools waive their secondary fee.

I would retake the MCAT and apply DO next cycle as well. With your GPA and if you don't have a big upward trend, MD is going to be tough. Plus you will probably qualify for the fee waiver through the DO application service which all schools waive their secondary fee.

Thanks for the advice but I've decided to pursue the PhD and maybe apply when that's done.

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for the advice but I've decided to pursue the PhD and maybe apply when that's done.

Thanks everybody!

That’s not to say I’ve given up on this app cycle but I’m not too optimistic

I hope whatever you choose “feels right.” Because that’s the least (and most) you should strive for. Maybe at second look/PhD socials during your interview you could talk to some students about your situation. (Be careful if you do this pre-decision: definitely don't ask faculty and only ask students who don't have any role in PhD Admissions.) You are getting mostly the med centered advice here. FWIW I’m not sure if getting a PhD would necessarily boost your application more than a masters would, but you are more likely to get published with a PhD. You can also see whether your program lets you opt out of the PhD to get a free masters. But definitely, being a reapplicant with a PhD and limited funds should not preclude you from becoming a doctor. Good luck, whichever path you decide!

Last edited:
Just make sure a PhD is what you want to do because a PhD can be soul sucking if you aren't that into research, and starting off in the PhD route and switching to a Masters later on won't help you make any friends at your institution and likely would result in a not so stellar rec letter if you decide to later apply for medicine. I hope you think long and hard about your decision and assess if your heart would really be in it.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to differ a little from others and say that, assuming you view a PhD and an MD on the same level and don't get into MD school now, I would definitely take the PhD. Having to reapply to Medical school would exaggerate your financial pressure and place your life in limbo.. Medical school is on average a 180,000 dollar loan commitment (true average is much higher considering a sizable chunk of people cone from upper class families that pay for them) that will place a ton of restrictions and stress on you. Not to mention, residency is another 3+ year commitment that potentially shoots the interest up on the loans you've accumulated and pays terribly for 70-80 hour work weeks.

I personally don't regret medical school, but in hindsight there are a lot of options I would've found more appealing with quicker payoff. So do what feels right to you. If you like the PhD and what you'll be studying go for it.

Now if you've been dreaming about medicine your whole life and have plenty of shadowing to know it's what you really want, then you could reapply again and forego the PhD, though as you say it's costly and not-guaranteed. Or you could reapply after the PhD. I know some people who got a PhD before matriculating into MD school.

Guys, I was accepted into my state school last week. I graduated almost four years ago and this was my THIRD MCAT retake and second application cycle. I just Want to say.. please don’t EVER give up on your dreams. And don’t allow anyone or anything (even the MCAT) to stand in the way of your dreams like I almost did. Stay the course and you will reach your goals!!!

Reactions: 20 users
Guys, I was accepted into my state school last week. I graduated almost four years ago and this was my THIRD MCAT retake and second application cycle. I just Want to say.. please don’t EVER give up on your dreams. And don’t allow anyone or anything (even the MCAT) to stand in the way of your dreams like I almost did. Stay the course and you will reach your goals!!!
Congratulations!!! This is exactly what I needed to see while I’m on my journey. Thank you so much for your inspirational words. Wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors :)

I hope whatever you choose “feels right.” Because that’s the least (and most) you should strive for. Maybe at second look/PhD socials during your interview you could talk to some students about your situation. (Be careful if you do this pre-decision: definitely don't ask faculty and only ask students who don't have any role in PhD Admissions.) You are getting mostly the med centered advice here. FWIW I’m not sure if getting a PhD would necessarily boost your application more than a masters would, but you are more likely to get published with a PhD. You can also see whether your program lets you opt out of the PhD to get a free masters. But definitely, being a reapplicant with a PhD and limited funds should not preclude you from becoming a doctor. Good luck, whichever path you decide!

I want to go to medical school but I’ve already gotten 7 pre-II rejections and I’m just so scared about what I’m doing.

In addition, I was supposed to take physics II this spring so if I were to be accepted I could go but I couldn’t pay for it. I now will have to try to take it this summer and, if I were to be accepted, hope this is okay.

Thanks man!

Does anyone have advice on how to politely prompt a school to offer some scholarship money? It’s still very early, but one school to which I’m accepted has offered me a scholarship already, and they’d like to know if I’ll be accepting it. But none of my other schools traditionally make scholarship offers until March-ish. I don’t know if I should call the other schools’ admissions offices for guidance, or if that would be too forward of me.

Does anyone have advice on how to politely prompt a school to offer some scholarship money? It’s still very early, but one school to which I’m accepted has offered me a scholarship already, and they’d like to know if I’ll be accepting it. But none of my other schools traditionally make scholarship offers until March-ish. I don’t know if I should call the other schools’ admissions offices for guidance, or if that would be too forward of me.

Congratulations! If you're asking if your other schools will let you know if you've received a scholarship before March, I don't think they would do that. However, I would imagine that the scholarship offer, like acceptances before the May 1st deadline, are nonbinding. If that is the case, I don't see the harm in accepting it now and then waiting until march to negotiate with the other offers you receive.

If I’ve yet to be interviewed, should I consider this cycle a wash?

If I’ve yet to be interviewed, should I consider this cycle a wash?
I would say no... When I applied back in 2015-2016 cycle I received my one and only interview in February. I ended up waitlisted and ultimately rejected but you may have a happier outcome than I did.

Has anyone been accepted and is missing one prerequisite?

I still need a science course but I can only take this Summer. Will this pose a problem if I were to be accepted?

Has anyone been accepted and is missing one prerequisite?

I still need a science course but I can only take this Summer. Will this pose a problem if I were to be accepted?

Would you be able to take the course before matriculating? Some schools begin in July. I did read a book about Dr. James Doty, who got accepted to Tulane, but didnt have the credits to graduate with a degree, so Tulane worked out a deal with his school where some med school courses counted toward his bachelors... Not sure if things work like that anymore though. You should consider reading his book. I think you will resonate with some things he mentions.

Would you be able to take the course before matriculating? Some schools begin in July. I did read a book about Dr. James Doty, who got accepted to Tulane, but didnt have the credits to graduate with a degree, so Tulane worked out a deal with his school where some med school courses counted toward his bachelors... Not sure if things work like that anymore though. You should consider reading his book. I think you will resonate with some things he mentions.

What’s the name of the book?

Congratulations!!! This is exactly what I needed to see while I’m on my journey. Thank you so much for your inspirational words. Wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors :)

Thank you!!! I am So happy to hear that. It really helped me to be surrounded by lots of friends who were accepted into Medical and Dental school because they kept me inspired! Message me if you ever need advice or encouragement! :)

Anyone know of any SMP you apply to through AMCAS? Right now I am only aware of Meharry and Ohio State.