2017-2018 Yale University

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if this is the right place... I have an MD/PhD interview coming up for a non-traditional PhD field (i.e. not a basic science or epidemiology). Does anyone have any insight into the MSTP interview days and how they might relate to someone in my situation?
I'm guessing you're interested in doing a PhD in either history or policy since those are the major non-science ones at Yale. They will find you people related to your field to talk to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what’s a likely letter?
Idk about how or if Yale did/does likely letters, but Mayo e-mailed candidates to let them know they've been "ranked highly" and are "strongly interested" in candidates who also consider Mayo highly, so these letters seem to have a two-fold purpose: (1) Be transparent about the process and (2) make adcom lives easier by choosing students who not only rank highly but report Mayo as one of their top choices, if not their first choice.
 
Last edited:
How helpful is an LOIntent at this point (interviewed in January) and just finished my last medical school interview a week ago! Has anyone asked admissions? I've been fortunate enough to have a few top 10 interviews, but really love Yale (for the obvious reasons).
 
How helpful is an LOIntent at this point (interviewed in January) and just finished my last medical school interview a week ago! Has anyone asked admissions? I've been fortunate enough to have a few top 10 interviews, but really love Yale (for the obvious reasons).


Would also like to know as I am in a similar situation 🙂
 
I think that the general consensus is that it won't hurt but also is not probably going to help much pre-decision
 
I think that the general consensus is that it won't hurt but also is not probably going to help much pre-decision

Would agree with this.

Also, it's worth considering that the structure at Yale reviews the interviewees the week of the interview giving a rough vote on the decision then and there. The final decision process is done by a separate committee that is more regarding balance and composition of the final acceptances (to try to form a diverse class). Unless you are extremely borderline from waitlist to accept or your letter is spectacular (eg, won the Nobel prize over winter break), I don't think it's going to make much of a difference right now. IMHO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The school's probably not wholly sure yet. In the past, they tend to fine-tune the release date (based on how the Financial Aid is doing if I remember correctly).
 
*A bit of insider scoop*
Not sure if the application portal will update with your application status prior, but on March 7th, we'll begin calling the lucky accepted students starting at 5pm EST! Good luck, everyone!! :luck:
Thanks! Do you know if all acceptance calls will be made that night? If not, when will calls be over? Will the application portal show everyone’s status by March 7th?
 
Should we be completing financial aid applications for yale even before being accepted? (in reference to the post about acceptance decisions being released based on when the financial aid office is ready)
 
*A bit of insider scoop*
Not sure if the application portal will update with your application status prior, but on March 7th, we'll begin calling the lucky accepted students starting at 5pm EST! Good luck, everyone!! :luck:
God I hope they just release all decisions simultaneously through the portal. My experience with Mayo has given me call anxiety.
 
Thanks! Do you know if all acceptance calls will be made that night? If not, when will calls be over? Will the application portal show everyone’s status by March 7th?

Normally, the portal is updated a day or two before the medical students begin making phone calls. Phone calls will be made to everyone, and if we can't reach you, normally we leave a number for you to call back at. It's a whole hoopla at the school and good fun.

For the individual who is getting indigestion about whether the portal will be updated for everyone at the same time, it usually is. The Admissions Office is pretty aware of what an anxious student population they're working with. 🙂
 
Should we be completing financial aid applications for yale even before being accepted? (in reference to the post about acceptance decisions being released based on when the financial aid office is ready)

Yes, that's what it says on the website
 
Omg that yale aid email. <125k family income and only need to pay 23k a year in loans. Nervous for decisions!
It also struck me as odd that Yale doesn’t giver merit aid like several other top schools (Wash U, U Chicago, Penn), especially given their absurd endowment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would bet money on March 13th. Back when I was an applicant, I did some sleuthing and I noticed that Admissions really likes the second Tuesday of March.
Do you mean maybe the first Tuesday of March ? Decisions last year were on the first Tuesday of the month (March 7).
 
Normally, the portal is updated a day or two before the medical students begin making phone calls. Phone calls will be made to everyone, and if we can't reach you, normally we leave a number for you to call back at. It's a whole hoopla at the school and good fun.

For the individual who is getting indigestion about whether the portal will be updated for everyone at the same time, it usually is. The Admissions Office is pretty aware of what an anxious student population they're working with. 🙂

What if an applicant is out of country? Crossing my fingers and praying To all the gods that I’m lucky enough for some good news.
 
What if an applicant is out of country? Crossing my fingers and praying To all the gods that I’m lucky enough for some good news.

They will hopefully leave a number for you to call back at if you'd like. If not, you can always ask admissions to put you in touch with a current study.

***

I would plan on Tuesday. A) It's the later date, so it'll be better than agonizing about whether it'll come out Monday & B) It's what my friend who is very involved in the administration at the school let me know (and his sister is applying this year, so he has a special interest).
 
They will hopefully leave a number for you to call back at if you'd like. If not, you can always ask admissions to put you in touch with a current study.

***

I would plan on Tuesday. A) It's the later date, so it'll be better than agonizing about whether it'll come out Monday & B) It's what my friend who is very involved in the administration at the school let me know (and his sister is applying this year, so he has a special interest).



I was out of the country, and I think I got a call that woke me up in the middle of the night. Since I already knew about my admission, it was a really brief "congrats, any questions" to which I just said "thanks, no questions right this second" and went back to sleep. My interviewer also sent me a lovely email. Last year when I made calls, most people didn't answer and we just left them a message saying they can call back - I don't think we are actually allowed to release admissions info by message, so it's just "Hi this is _____ from the office of admissions at Yale. We are here to answer any questions for you, call us at ......."

I would also plan on Tuesday. I believe it's something of a tradition, and I have a hunch that monday is used to triple check the list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad