2017-2018 Yale University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get rejected after interviewing here?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Approximately 60% or so

no way that number's correct right? we have much more waitlisted than rejected reported on SDN. Could be reporting bias, but I doubt it would exist to this extent. Maybe since there's an interim dean things are working differently?

Members don't see this ad :)
no way that number's correct right? we have much more waitlisted than rejected reported on SDN. Could be reporting bias, but I doubt it would exist to this extent. Maybe since there's an interim dean things are working differently?
Rejected ppl are way less likely to report them. I would believe 50-60% rejection

Rejected ppl are way less likely to report them. I would believe 50-60% rejection
True. WL applicants are way more anxious and check/post their status on SDN, whereas the rejected don’t even bother..

Reactions: 1 user
True. WL applicants are way more anxious and check/post their status on SDN, whereas the rejected don’t even bother..
I think it's very skewed.

Last edited:
That’d be unreasonable, STARTYale deadline is May 8th.

STARTYale isn't mandatory for MD/PhDs (highly recommended, yes). Getting the info from a current Yale MD/PhD student who is pretty sure the first week Yale gave out acceptances to waitlisted students last year was the first week of May.

She may be wrong and Yale may be changing up things this year, but this is the best I've heard :/

STARTYale isn't mandatory for MD/PhDs (highly recommended, yes). Getting the info from a current Yale MD/PhD student who is pretty sure the first week Yale gave out acceptances to waitlisted students last year was the first week of May.

She may be wrong and Yale may be changing up things this year, but this is the best I've heard :/
It’s not mandatory but students coming off the waitlist should not be deprived of the opportunity. But i'm pretty sure it's flexible anyways.

Last edited:
@avgn covered most of the WL in depth. Just would like to add that it is tiered for a reason. Since Yale's class is only 104 individuals, the individuals who accept their offer of admission to compose the class is actually fairly important demographics-wise. Once they have that composition, they attempt to work from the WL tiers to fill out the class appropriately based on applicant characteristics/personality/etc.

There is a significant amount of movement from the WL, but it will take some time.

Congrats to those accepted; to those WL, hang in there. To those rejected, you'll become phenomenal physicians.

It’s not mandatory but students coming off the waitlist should not be deprived of the opportunity. May is a heck of a wait.
IIRC, Yale won't know their yield until the end of April when everyone can hold only one Acceptance. It is hard to pull from the Waitlist until then because over enrolling a medical school class is painful (as Duke found out a few years ago). I would not worry so much about START@Yale at this point, to be honest. You can always email Dean Ment to see if an exception can be made, which I would believe she would be amenable to, having done the program and served as the START@Yale coordinator in the past.

Accepted Canadian! Interviewed in December. Really excited to come here. Curious, is it standard practice to send a thank you letter for an acceptance?

LizzyM score ~79

Accepted Canadian! Interviewed in December. Really excited to come here. Curious, is it standard practice to send a thank you letter for an acceptance?

LizzyM score ~79

Not usually. You should send a thank you for your stethoscope when you get here, though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to the snowstorm, we are postponing the phone calls to accepted students. Next week is spring break, so you'll likely be hearing from us two weeks from now.

Can any of the current students comment on how generous Yale is with scholarships? Getting in here is a dream come true but I’m afraid I won’t be able to attend since they don’t have merit awards and I don’t think I’ll qualify for traditional need aid unless Yale does things differently.

Can any of the current students comment on how generous Yale is with scholarships? Getting in here is a dream come true but I’m afraid I won’t be able to attend since they don’t have merit awards and I don’t think I’ll qualify for traditional need aid unless Yale does things differently.

You just answered your own question...

Have there been any movements/acceptances off the waitlist between March and May over the past several years?

YOOOOOO I'm a first year here and literally never post on SDN, but CONGRATS to those accepted! This is a magical place and I know that I personally have loved EVERY SECOND of my time here thus far. You'll likely hear me rep the crap out of this school at second look, but figured I would get started early by posting here <3 GO YALE. See y'all at second look!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone asked about waitlist rankings and whether we’ll still be notified of our position on the waitlist like in previous years?

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those of you on the waitlist. I look forward to seeing you guys at Second Look in April.

If I had to choose a school again, I would still pick Yale big time.

Feel free to message me with any questions you have about Yale. We're on spring break this week.

Reactions: 2 users
@avgn thanks for all the info. Could you talk a little bit about harkness? I know that it is shared kitchens, how many people to a bathroom though?
I don't live there anymore but the entire floor shares 4 stalls and 4 showers. Around 15 people, I forget how many rooms exactly on each floor. Get ready, some people have great floormates, it's clean all year, others don't have such good luck and **** goes down. Maintenance crew did a great job last year with keeping up with demand, dailiy cleanings in the morning. I had no problems there as a male with no GI problems
Accepted! Anyone know anything about merit scholarships? I've heard conflicting info.
They exist. You will be contacted if you get one. They are super secretive about who gets what and how much, so good luck figuring out which of your future classmates are carrying one. (Think about it, would you advertise that you got merit money to the rest of your class? Hint: the correct answer is no.) It's structured as a loan replacement program: you needed to borrow X amount in your package, now you only need to buy aX, where 0%<a≤100%

Have there been any movements/acceptances off the waitlist between March and May over the past several years?
WL movement starts on 5/1 when they have all the original accepted offers in place.

First-years************************ on spring break this week.
FTFY. You guys know that MS1 spring break is the last one ever, right? Unless you do a 5th year, then you can be on break for 10 months.... :naughty: :highfive:

Anyone concerned about Yale dropping from the top 10 research schools (USNWR)?

Lol it was in 9th place and now it’s probably in like 11th.

PD’s don’t care if it’s 1 or 10 or 12. They know Yale Med and will keep selecting based on knowing Yale Med grads are top notch.

Yea, I see that. It's just if you look at historical rankings, Yale has been on a decline in the past decade.

Yea, I see that. It's just if you look at historical rankings, Yale has been on a decline in the past decade.
If being in the top 15 med schools in the nation is a decline then sure I guess

Reactions: 3 users
His username obviously stands for Harvard medical school, why even bother

Last edited:
Because clearly if you fall below the top 10 you’re relegated to trash medical schools like ... U Chicago. /s

But even if we indulge this absurdity by examining historical US News rankings, you’ll see that Yale hasn’t changed much in ranks compared to its peers. If anything, Penn and Wash U got demoted the most. Guess they’re also trash (is the /s still necessary?)

Historical US News Rankings

Anyone concerned about Yale dropping from the top 10 research schools (USNWR)?

I think the kind of people who care about this are also the kind of people who include HMS in their username. You can always choose another school to attend if Yale is not prestigious enough for you.

For everyone else in this thread, you can make career-changing research connections, obtain an exemplary education, enjoy a non-toxic learning environment, and carry the name of an internationally renowned institution by coming here.

Reactions: 8 users
You should check out our match list from today. ;)

ugh just go to HMS or wherever that was unfortunate enough to receive your presence. We don't need to deal with an insufferable ***** like you at school. It's hilarious you mention the past decade as a period of decline when literally YNHH's clinical strength has never seen a period more expansive than, you guessed it, the past decade. lmao. Go to NYU, oh yeah now that they're top 10 you will be a much stronger applicant in 3 years!!!!!!!!

plz tell me more, PREMED, about what it takes to match to MGH. Please, I am all ears and wish to learn from your fountain of wisdom. There should be a law that forbids premeds from discussing or otherwise talking about anything related to the Match. Stop talking **** about things you don't understand k?

This is actually crazy.
Of course. Spending even a second of time loading the USNWR website is a crazy act in and of itself, let alone the conclusions that could come from such an endeavor. USNWR makes a living off of pageviews, they have every incentive to "shake up" the rankings every year by arbitrarily changing the formula to drum up interest.

Seriously. Nobody in the medical field gives a flying rat's ass about those rankings. Find me one verified record of a PD or APD saying anything otherwise and I will personally send you a letter of apology handwritten in crayon with my non-dominant left foot

Reactions: 7 users
You should check out our match list from today. ;)
Not at all. That might persuade this ho to actually consider Yale once he sees that we got 9 derm, 7 ophtho, 4 plastics, 4 ortho, 4 neurosurg, 11 MGH/BWH matches. That would not do the YSM student body any good for him to attend and snub his nose at the plebeians who apparently attend this pitiful non-top 10 school :pity:

Not at all. That might persuade this ho to actually consider Yale once he sees that we got 9 derm, 7 ophtho, 4 plastics, 4 ortho, 4 neurosurg, 11 MGH/BWH matches. That would not do the YSM student body any good for him to attend and snub his nose at the plebeians who apparently attend this pitiful non-top 10 school :pity:

For what it's worth I recently received the rejection from Yale and while it hurt my heart to the core, I thinking its an amazing and fantastic institution with some pretty unique culture and that the change in rankings is meaningless. At the same time, I feel like just about any school on the top 20 (or even 30 or more) is gonna offer more opportunities than one could dream of and not hold them back from anything. For someone who values independence, Yale is probably number one however someone who prefers more structure may fare better at a more traditional structured place. I guess what I mean to say is that people need to look at their values and come up with their own ranking system and their top ten is gonna look a lot different from someone else's.

BTW that's match list is insane!! (why don't you love me Yale :drowning:)

Hello everyone! Does anyone know, if we've been accepted and submitted our FinAid materials by the deadline, when should we be hearing back with our packages? Thanks in advance :)

Haha, for all the commotion the rankings shakeup caused, looks like Yale was pretty much unscathed. Moving from 9 --> 11 means nothing. And more importantly, their peer-assessment and program director scores are still higher than some of the schools in the top 10.

Anyone who uses the new rankings to pass up on Yale (or Columbia/Michigan, for that matter) are fools.

So excited for the second look weekend!!

Hello everyone! Does anyone know, if we've been accepted and submitted our FinAid materials by the deadline, when should we be hearing back with our packages? Thanks in advance :)
I believe that one of the recent emails said we should know by second look (April 12).

A little late to the financial aid game, but does anyone who sent in the certificate of information form know where to find our Yale ID number?

Do any students know how many students live in the dorms vs. off campus? Is it important socially to live on campus?

Do any students know how many students live in the dorms vs. off campus? Is it important socially to live on campus?

Probably like 50 / 50 or 60/ 40 dorms to off campus. If you live downtown, it's pretty much the same as living in Harkness IMO. You may run into people who think that living in Harkness helps since you're all so close, but I never found that to be necessarily true (and I lived in Harkness). But I didn't live on a floor with a lounge, which I think would've helped.

Even individuals who live in East Rock can have happening social lives if they make the effort, but it is more effort. I wouldn't fret too much about Harkness v downtown in terms of social life. I think that it all ends up sorting itself out well since they're only a 5-10 minute walk apart. I would focus more on if you want to live in Harkness (cheaper but w/o personal shower, kitchen) versus apartment if I were you.

Probably like 50 / 50 or 60/ 40 dorms to off campus. If you live downtown, it's pretty much the same as living in Harkness IMO. You may run into people who think that living in Harkness helps since you're all so close, but I never found that to be necessarily true (and I lived in Harkness). But I didn't live on a floor with a lounge, which I think would've helped.

Even individuals who live in East Rock can have happening social lives if they make the effort, but it is more effort. I wouldn't fret too much about Harkness v downtown in terms of social life. I think that it all ends up sorting itself out well since they're only a 5-10 minute walk apart. I would focus more on if you want to live in Harkness (cheaper but w/o personal shower, kitchen) versus apartment if I were you.

I live in Harkness now, and this sounds about right. A lot of the people who live in the nearby Towers will come through Harkness and vice versa for social activities. The East Rock and other suburban people are definitely more distant from everyday social activities, but those are also some of the older students or people with families who don’t necessarily care about socializing with the rest of the class all the time.

I recommend Harkness for the price and convenience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To save on travel expenses for Second Look, I was planning to fly to Boston and then take a train to New Haven. Do you all recommend buying a train ticket in advance or at the station? I'm not too familiar with trains (they aren't commonly used where I'm from), so I appreciate any advice you can provide!

To save on travel expenses for Second Look, I was planning to fly to Boston and then take a train to New Haven. Do you all recommend buying a train ticket in advance or at the station? I'm not too familiar with trains (they aren't commonly used where I'm from), so I appreciate any advice you can provide!
llllllllllllloooooooooooollllllllllllllllll DO NOT buy Amtrak tickets at the station. You will be ripped a new ass with the price gouging. Buy them like now, you're already within the 2 week window so prices are getting more expensive

If you can fly into JFK/LGA at all, those are cheaper choices to get into New Haven.