-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Yale University
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did anyone get rejected after interviewing here?
Approximately 60% or so
Approximately 60% or so
no way that number's correct right? we have much more waitlisted than rejected reported on SDN. Could be reporting bias, but I doubt it would exist to this extent. Maybe since there's an interim dean things are working differently?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected ppl are way less likely to report them. I would believe 50-60% rejectionno way that number's correct right? we have much more waitlisted than rejected reported on SDN. Could be reporting bias, but I doubt it would exist to this extent. Maybe since there's an interim dean things are working differently?
True. WL applicants are way more anxious and check/post their status on SDN, whereas the rejected don’t even bother..Rejected ppl are way less likely to report them. I would believe 50-60% rejection
I think it's very skewed.True. WL applicants are way more anxious and check/post their status on SDN, whereas the rejected don’t even bother..
Last edited:
If anyone know about the MD/PhD waitlist movements please share!
I don't think any movement is happening until May 1st :/
That’d be unreasonable, STARTYale deadline is May 8th.I don't think any movement is happening until May 1st :/
That’d be unreasonable, STARTYale deadline is May 8th.
STARTYale isn't mandatory for MD/PhDs (highly recommended, yes). Getting the info from a current Yale MD/PhD student who is pretty sure the first week Yale gave out acceptances to waitlisted students last year was the first week of May.
She may be wrong and Yale may be changing up things this year, but this is the best I've heard :/
It’s not mandatory but students coming off the waitlist should not be deprived of the opportunity. But i'm pretty sure it's flexible anyways.STARTYale isn't mandatory for MD/PhDs (highly recommended, yes). Getting the info from a current Yale MD/PhD student who is pretty sure the first week Yale gave out acceptances to waitlisted students last year was the first week of May.
She may be wrong and Yale may be changing up things this year, but this is the best I've heard :/
Last edited:
@avgn covered most of the WL in depth. Just would like to add that it is tiered for a reason. Since Yale's class is only 104 individuals, the individuals who accept their offer of admission to compose the class is actually fairly important demographics-wise. Once they have that composition, they attempt to work from the WL tiers to fill out the class appropriately based on applicant characteristics/personality/etc.
There is a significant amount of movement from the WL, but it will take some time.
Congrats to those accepted; to those WL, hang in there. To those rejected, you'll become phenomenal physicians.
There is a significant amount of movement from the WL, but it will take some time.
Congrats to those accepted; to those WL, hang in there. To those rejected, you'll become phenomenal physicians.
IIRC, Yale won't know their yield until the end of April when everyone can hold only one Acceptance. It is hard to pull from the Waitlist until then because over enrolling a medical school class is painful (as Duke found out a few years ago). I would not worry so much about START@Yale at this point, to be honest. You can always email Dean Ment to see if an exception can be made, which I would believe she would be amenable to, having done the program and served as the START@Yale coordinator in the past.It’s not mandatory but students coming off the waitlist should not be deprived of the opportunity. May is a heck of a wait.
Accepted Canadian! Interviewed in December. Really excited to come here. Curious, is it standard practice to send a thank you letter for an acceptance?
LizzyM score ~79
Not usually. You should send a thank you for your stethoscope when you get here, though. 🙂
Can any of the current students comment on how generous Yale is with scholarships? Getting in here is a dream come true but I’m afraid I won’t be able to attend since they don’t have merit awards and I don’t think I’ll qualify for traditional need aid unless Yale does things differently.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any of the current students comment on how generous Yale is with scholarships? Getting in here is a dream come true but I’m afraid I won’t be able to attend since they don’t have merit awards and I don’t think I’ll qualify for traditional need aid unless Yale does things differently.
You just answered your own question...
I guess I’m wondering if any current student has been pleasantly surprised by the financial aid package they got.You just answered your own question...
Have there been any movements/acceptances off the waitlist between March and May over the past several years?
Not according to last year's thread

YOOOOOO I'm a first year here and literally never post on SDN, but CONGRATS to those accepted! This is a magical place and I know that I personally have loved EVERY SECOND of my time here thus far. You'll likely hear me rep the crap out of this school at second look, but figured I would get started early by posting here <3 GO YALE. See y'all at second look!
Has anyone asked about waitlist rankings and whether we’ll still be notified of our position on the waitlist like in previous years?
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to those of you on the waitlist. I look forward to seeing you guys at Second Look in April.
If I had to choose a school again, I would still pick Yale big time.
Feel free to message me with any questions you have about Yale. We're on spring break this week.
If I had to choose a school again, I would still pick Yale big time.
Feel free to message me with any questions you have about Yale. We're on spring break this week.
I don't live there anymore but the entire floor shares 4 stalls and 4 showers. Around 15 people, I forget how many rooms exactly on each floor. Get ready, some people have great floormates, it's clean all year, others don't have such good luck and **** goes down. Maintenance crew did a great job last year with keeping up with demand, dailiy cleanings in the morning. I had no problems there as a male with no GI problems@avgn thanks for all the info. Could you talk a little bit about harkness? I know that it is shared kitchens, how many people to a bathroom though?
They exist. You will be contacted if you get one. They are super secretive about who gets what and how much, so good luck figuring out which of your future classmates are carrying one. (Think about it, would you advertise that you got merit money to the rest of your class? Hint: the correct answer is no.) It's structured as a loan replacement program: you needed to borrow X amount in your package, now you only need to buy aX, where 0%<a≤100%Accepted! Anyone know anything about merit scholarships? I've heard conflicting info.
WL movement starts on 5/1 when they have all the original accepted offers in place.Have there been any movements/acceptances off the waitlist between March and May over the past several years?
FTFY. You guys know that MS1 spring break is the last one ever, right? Unless you do a 5th year, then you can be on break for 10 months....First-years************************ on spring break this week.

Lol please tell me this is a joke.Anyone concerned about Yale dropping from the top 10 research schools (USNWR)?
NopeLol please tell me this is a joke.
Lol it was in 9th place and now it’s probably in like 11th.Nope
PD’s don’t care if it’s 1 or 10 or 12. They know Yale Med and will keep selecting based on knowing Yale Med grads are top notch.
If being in the top 15 med schools in the nation is a decline then sure I guessYea, I see that. It's just if you look at historical rankings, Yale has been on a decline in the past decade.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
His username obviously stands for Harvard medical school, why even botherIf being in the top 15 med schools in the nation is a decline then sure I guess
Last edited:
Because clearly if you fall below the top 10 you’re relegated to trash medical schools like ... U Chicago. /sIf being in the top 15 med schools in the nation is a decline then sure I guess
But even if we indulge this absurdity by examining historical US News rankings, you’ll see that Yale hasn’t changed much in ranks compared to its peers. If anything, Penn and Wash U got demoted the most. Guess they’re also trash (is the /s still necessary?)
Historical US News Rankings
Okay maybe I spoke too soon because Yale is indeed no longer in the top 10 along with Columbia and Michigan. Mayo soared to the top 10. This is actually crazy.
https://www.usnews.com/education/be...aduate-schools-preview-top-10-medical-schools
https://www.usnews.com/education/be...aduate-schools-preview-top-10-medical-schools
Last edited:
Anyone concerned about Yale dropping from the top 10 research schools (USNWR)?
I think the kind of people who care about this are also the kind of people who include HMS in their username. You can always choose another school to attend if Yale is not prestigious enough for you.
For everyone else in this thread, you can make career-changing research connections, obtain an exemplary education, enjoy a non-toxic learning environment, and carry the name of an internationally renowned institution by coming here.
And be a part of THE YALE SYSTEM!!!!!!!
You should check out our match list from today. 😉
ugh just go to HMS or wherever that was unfortunate enough to receive your presence. We don't need to deal with an insufferable ***** like you at school. It's hilarious you mention the past decade as a period of decline when literally YNHH's clinical strength has never seen a period more expansive than, you guessed it, the past decade. lmao. Go to NYU, oh yeah now that they're top 10 you will be a much stronger applicant in 3 years!!!!!!!!Yea, I see that. It's just if you look at historical rankings, Yale has been on a decline in the past decade.
plz tell me more, PREMED, about what it takes to match to MGH. Please, I am all ears and wish to learn from your fountain of wisdom. There should be a law that forbids premeds from discussing or otherwise talking about anything related to the Match. Stop talking **** about things you don't understand k?
Of course. Spending even a second of time loading the USNWR website is a crazy act in and of itself, let alone the conclusions that could come from such an endeavor. USNWR makes a living off of pageviews, they have every incentive to "shake up" the rankings every year by arbitrarily changing the formula to drum up interest.This is actually crazy.
Seriously. Nobody in the medical field gives a flying rat's ass about those rankings. Find me one verified record of a PD or APD saying anything otherwise and I will personally send you a letter of apology handwritten in crayon with my non-dominant left foot
Not at all. That might persuade this ho to actually consider Yale once he sees that we got 9 derm, 7 ophtho, 4 plastics, 4 ortho, 4 neurosurg, 11 MGH/BWH matches. That would not do the YSM student body any good for him to attend and snub his nose at the plebeians who apparently attend this pitiful non-top 10 school 😛ity:You should check out our match list from today. 😉
Not at all. That might persuade this ho to actually consider Yale once he sees that we got 9 derm, 7 ophtho, 4 plastics, 4 ortho, 4 neurosurg, 11 MGH/BWH matches. That would not do the YSM student body any good for him to attend and snub his nose at the plebeians who apparently attend this pitiful non-top 10 school 😛ity:
For what it's worth I recently received the rejection from Yale and while it hurt my heart to the core, I thinking its an amazing and fantastic institution with some pretty unique culture and that the change in rankings is meaningless. At the same time, I feel like just about any school on the top 20 (or even 30 or more) is gonna offer more opportunities than one could dream of and not hold them back from anything. For someone who values independence, Yale is probably number one however someone who prefers more structure may fare better at a more traditional structured place. I guess what I mean to say is that people need to look at their values and come up with their own ranking system and their top ten is gonna look a lot different from someone else's.
BTW that's match list is insane!! (why don't you love me Yale
Haha, for all the commotion the rankings shakeup caused, looks like Yale was pretty much unscathed. Moving from 9 --> 11 means nothing. And more importantly, their peer-assessment and program director scores are still higher than some of the schools in the top 10.
Anyone who uses the new rankings to pass up on Yale (or Columbia/Michigan, for that matter) are fools.
Anyone who uses the new rankings to pass up on Yale (or Columbia/Michigan, for that matter) are fools.
So excited for the second look weekend!!
I believe that one of the recent emails said we should know by second look (April 12).Hello everyone! Does anyone know, if we've been accepted and submitted our FinAid materials by the deadline, when should we be hearing back with our packages? Thanks in advance 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any students know how many students live in the dorms vs. off campus? Is it important socially to live on campus?
Probably like 50 / 50 or 60/ 40 dorms to off campus. If you live downtown, it's pretty much the same as living in Harkness IMO. You may run into people who think that living in Harkness helps since you're all so close, but I never found that to be necessarily true (and I lived in Harkness). But I didn't live on a floor with a lounge, which I think would've helped.
Even individuals who live in East Rock can have happening social lives if they make the effort, but it is more effort. I wouldn't fret too much about Harkness v downtown in terms of social life. I think that it all ends up sorting itself out well since they're only a 5-10 minute walk apart. I would focus more on if you want to live in Harkness (cheaper but w/o personal shower, kitchen) versus apartment if I were you.
Probably like 50 / 50 or 60/ 40 dorms to off campus. If you live downtown, it's pretty much the same as living in Harkness IMO. You may run into people who think that living in Harkness helps since you're all so close, but I never found that to be necessarily true (and I lived in Harkness). But I didn't live on a floor with a lounge, which I think would've helped.
Even individuals who live in East Rock can have happening social lives if they make the effort, but it is more effort. I wouldn't fret too much about Harkness v downtown in terms of social life. I think that it all ends up sorting itself out well since they're only a 5-10 minute walk apart. I would focus more on if you want to live in Harkness (cheaper but w/o personal shower, kitchen) versus apartment if I were you.
I live in Harkness now, and this sounds about right. A lot of the people who live in the nearby Towers will come through Harkness and vice versa for social activities. The East Rock and other suburban people are definitely more distant from everyday social activities, but those are also some of the older students or people with families who don’t necessarily care about socializing with the rest of the class all the time.
I recommend Harkness for the price and convenience
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To save on travel expenses for Second Look, I was planning to fly to Boston and then take a train to New Haven. Do you all recommend buying a train ticket in advance or at the station? I'm not too familiar with trains (they aren't commonly used where I'm from), so I appreciate any advice you can provide!
llllllllllllloooooooooooollllllllllllllllll DO NOT buy Amtrak tickets at the station. You will be ripped a new ass with the price gouging. Buy them like now, you're already within the 2 week window so prices are getting more expensiveTo save on travel expenses for Second Look, I was planning to fly to Boston and then take a train to New Haven. Do you all recommend buying a train ticket in advance or at the station? I'm not too familiar with trains (they aren't commonly used where I'm from), so I appreciate any advice you can provide!
If you can fly into JFK/LGA at all, those are cheaper choices to get into New Haven.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K