2017-2018 Yale University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like waiting to find out from a call would be so lit, but there's absolutely no way I'm gonna be able to resist checking the portal tomorrow lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like acceptance emails are going out now

Reactions: 1 user
accepted, decisions are on the portal!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!! Was expecting tomorrow so the email was a pleasant surprise :)

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted. Any know if they are open about your place on the waitlist / have a ranked waitlist at all?

waitlisted. congrats to yall accepted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted via email just now. OMG super excited!

Just got accepted via email!! I also thought it was gonna be tomorrow!

Accepted, but did not accept the offer on the portal. Hope someone else gets pulled in soon!

Reactions: 6 users
waitlisted. damn. any idea on how many are on the waitlist and wl movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted, that makes 4 waitlists and no acceptances for me -_- the MSAR says they waitlist around 85-100 students and accept 20-25 each year.

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted for both MD and MDPHD. Does anyone know how the waitlist works for mdphd??

"please pardon the global email" they learned from Penn's mistakes. Still doesn't excuse it

Accepted!! Loved this school, so I’m super super stoked

Yale pulled a Penn and emailed all pre-IIs to check our portal to confirm the already known fact of our rejection. They went a step ahead and excused themselves prematurely for not even bothering to use our real names LOL.

Dear Yale School of Medicine Applicant,

Please pardon the global email, but we wanted to inform you as quickly as possible that our admissions decisions have been finalized and that your official decision letter is now available online.

To learn your decision, please log into your Yale School of Medicine application and click on the “Decision” tab to read the full text of your letter. Here is the link to the application website:

https://application.med.yale.edu/

Please let us know if you have questions, or if we can be of assistance in any way.

Sincerely,

Barbara Watts

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted. Was/am hugely into Yale, so this stings. Also lol at getting WL’d or R’d by three schools on three consecutive business days.

Waitlisted as well!

I saw somewhere that there is a ~40% retention rate which gives us waitlist folks a good chance if that's true!

The wait continues...
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected just now :( I was expecting it though, since I didn't get an II.

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know how waitlist works? I'm interested to know whether you would receive your financial aid package at the same time as you were hypothetically pulled off the waitlist.

Waitlisted, December interview.

Best of luck to everyone!

Waitlisted. Even yelled “let me in” during the tour

Are they still waitlisting 100 or so people? Lots of reported WL and few Rs.

Are they still waitlisting 100 or so people? Lots of reported WL and few Rs.

yeah, weird. Looks like majority WL’s with a few R’s. Can Any current students familiar with the admissions process this year chime in maybe?

To answer some questions for all, because I remember what it was like two years ago in your shoes not knowing **** about this great school and ****ty **** **** process:

The average of WL acceptances per year ranges from 20-25, which means around 20-25% of the class has been off the WL. The disclaimer here is that no one has any idea what this current year will look like. It could be a slaughterhouse if Yale meets its yield nicely or a complete party if they need to fill a bunch of spots. YMMV to the max with this one

Timing of WL: Barbara may do things differently than Richard did, so again YMMV based on how or if she changes anything. WL calls used to go out on 5/1 as soon as they had the finalized list of accepted offers. Richard used to email first with a "we need to talk" and then you would have a phone call. You have around a week to decide and they would get you a financial aid decision before the deadline to respond. Deadlines can be extended within reason if you need more time to decide.

Yale's WL is ranked into buckets of 3. Those at the top of the list won't really find out they're on the top; they'll simply be the first to get the acceptance call. At the end of May, Richard used to email everyone to let them know which bucket they're in, how many spots are left, and how likely an acceptance is to come. I have no idea if Barbara is going to keep this going the same way. Do not ask whether they go down the list one by one or how else they actually pull from the WL; it's not scientific like that and the only people who know how the full process works are the ones in the admissions office. But the WL is ranked and that list was already made last month at the committee meetings. I suspect the list is fluid and sees changes over the next few weeks (e.g., if the top names are 10 girls and the class isn't balanced, they're not going to admit a class that's like 40/60 F/M); this is just my speculation based on some common sense.

Everyone can only hold 1 acceptance on 5/1. Remember that after 5/1, every school you are WLed at can see what acceptances you are holding but not what WLs you're on. Starting next month, schools that have accepted you will also be able to see what other acceptances you are holding but not what WLs you're on. Once a school rejects you, they cannot see any of this anymore.

As soon as you know that you aren't going to use your acceptance anywhere, please do the most courteous thing possible and inform schools as early as possible because it really is zero-sum at this point; someone holding an acceptance means another WL is not going to get in. Keep the anxiety as low as possible, focus on the acceptances you do have. WL movement is real but also highly unpredictable; you have no idea what's going to happen and it might remain that way until June. That sucks but you just gotta deal with it and there's nothing you can do.

Hope you enjoy Second Look for those of you who come. I'm not involved at all so I won't see any of you but it should be fun. Enjoy and good luck to all you.

Now, back to my hole of glory that is surgery clerkship..........................................................:hungover::dead::meh::yuck::bigtears::coldfeet::yawn:

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
To answer some questions for all:

The average of WL acceptances per year ranges from 20-25, which means around 20-25% of the class has been off the WL. The disclaimer here is that no one has any idea what this current year will look like. It could be a slaughterhouse if Yale meets its yield nicely or a complete party if they need to fill a bunch of spots. YMMV to the max with this one

Timing of WL: Barbara may do things differently than Richard did, so again YMMV based on how or if she changes anything. WL calls used to go out on 5/1 as soon as they had the finalized list of accepted offers. Richard used to email first with a "we need to talk" and then you would have a phone call. You have around a week to decide and they would get you a financial aid decision before the deadline to respond. Deadlines can be extended within reason if you need more time to decide.

Yale's WL is ranked into buckets of 3. Those at the top of the list won't really find out they're on the top; they'll simply be the first to get the acceptance call. At the end of May, Richard used to email everyone to let them know which bucket they're in, how many spots are left, and how likely an acceptance is to come. I have no idea if Barbara is going to keep this going the same way. Do not ask whether they go down the list one by one or how else they actually pull from the WL; it's not scientific like that and the only people who know how the full process works are the ones in the admissions office. But the WL is ranked and that list was already made last month at the committee meetings. I suspect the list is fluid and sees changes over the next few weeks (e.g., if the top names are 10 girls and the class isn't balanced, they're not going to admit a class that's like 40/60 F/M); this is just my speculation based on some common sense.

Everyone can only hold 1 acceptance on 5/1. Remember that after 5/1, every school you are WLed at can see what acceptances you are holding but not what WLs you're on. Starting next month, schools that have accepted you will also be able to see what other acceptances you are holding but not what WLs you're on. Once a school rejects you, they cannot see any of this anymore.

As soon as you know that you aren't going to use your acceptance anywhere, please do the most courteous thing possible and inform schools as early as possible because it really is zero-sum at this point; someone holding an acceptance means another WL is not going to get in. Keep the anxiety as low as possible, focus on the acceptances you do have. WL movement is real but also highly unpredictable; you have no idea what's going to happen and it might remain that way until June. That sucks but you just gotta deal with it and there's nothing you can do.

Hope you enjoy Second Look for those of you who come. I'm not involved at all so I won't see any of you but it should be fun. Enjoy and good luck to all you.

Now, back to my hole of glory that is surgery clerkship..........................................................

Thank you so much for all the info, this is extremely helpful and we all really appreciate it!

@avgn thanks for all the info. Could you talk a little bit about harkness? I know that it is shared kitchens, how many people to a bathroom though?

Waitlisted for both MD and MDPHD. Does anyone know how the waitlist works for mdphd??

Waitlisted for MD/PhD as well! Echoing your question, does anyone know if the process is the same for MD/PhDs?

OMG OMG ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected pre-II. Complete mid-September.
3.99 521 OOS ORM

Accepted! Anyone know anything about merit scholarships? I've heard conflicting info.

Accepted! Anyone know anything about merit scholarships? I've heard conflicting info.
Bruh, you just got a full-tuition scholarship offer at WashU. 1) you're amazing and congrats; 2) pls take the money! :p

Edit: I'll admit to being biased because I'm waitlisted

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Bruh, you just got a full-tuition scholarship offer at WashU. 1) you're amazing and congrats; 2) pls take the money! :p

Edit: I'll admit to being biased because I'm waitlisted
But I wouldn't be pre-med if I did something so reasonably ;)

Last edited:
Accepted earlier today! Anyone else trying to figure out how to balance the Yale and Columbia Second Look weekends?

Ayy waitlisted. Congrats to those who got in!