2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They don't send you anything. You just stopped getting any communication from them. Which def sucks

Do you think they do this, to keep a sort of "waitlist" to cover when people decline the offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think they do this, to keep a sort of "waitlist" to cover when people decline the offer?
Im not sure actually. When i asked my interviewer, he told me that they have alternates so they keep calling down the list until every position or placement has been filed. So like if you get picked for Denver and you want to decline for a different site, you go back to the bottom of the list and they call others. Which is why they say its not a guarantee that you will get your top pick.

Reactions: 1 user
I had another dream about calls lol. Hopefully this week is the week that we've all been waiting for *fingers crossed*

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's protocol for them to say July just in case anything should happen and the process is delayed. In the past forums, I think they were told Jul as well but found out much earlier. I am hoping that's the case this year. I've been weighing my options and and moving forward as if I never even applied for PHAP. There's definitely other opportunities that I'm trying to keep open. I definitely believe in putting positive vibes and energy into the air, so I'm putting my belief and faith that we have already been matched and we will be getting that call very soon!

Have you gotten a call yet??

I haven't yet. Still on pins and needles every time an unfamiliar number pops up on my phone. The anxiety is real over here on my end lol.

Funny story: I didn't even apply for PHAP this cycle (next year!) but when I woke up to a voicemail from an unfamiliar number this morning, my sleepy brain thought "OMG, the CDC!". Of course, it was my bank calling, haha.

Best of luck to all of you- if it's stressing me out a little I can't imagine what it's like for anyone who's actually waiting for a call! I am crossing my fingers for all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Well worst case scenario is they started calls/emails but no one on this blog got a spot yet....

Today is the 20th lol...hopefully we start hearing from them today. TBH I will be really shocked if I got an offer because I really think my interview was horrible since mines didn't last that long. But trying to be positive.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm hoping so as well @alh601 and I'm sure you'll get a call! So much time has passed that I think we're doubting ourselves. I know I feel the same way, but I reread my notes from the interview and talked to some former PHAPs that helped me prepare and it seems I did well. My interview was on the short side as well. The power of the tongue is everything, so continue to put positivity in the universe and it'll come back tenfold!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping so as well @alh601 and I'm sure you'll get a call! So much time has passed that I think we're doubting ourselves. I know I feel the same way, but I reread my notes from the interview and talked to some former PHAPs that helped me prepare and it seems I did well. My interview was on the short side as well. The power of the tongue is everything, so continue to put positivity in the universe and it'll come back tenfold!

Thank you! i have never waited this long to hear from a job thats this competitive so I think that's why my nerves are so bad. Hopefully we all can know this week or next week.

The hiring freeze under HHS is really what is holding everything up. I am confident decisions for the most part have been made on who to hire and where they will go. However, the hiring freeze makes it unlikely that we will hear anything until that is fixed. This came directly from a current PHAP...

"There's still a freeze - they haven't told us much other than that they don't have the go ahead from upper management to start making offers...sorry it's not much info!"

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I have been following his thread on my phone lols (just could not comment bc I am logged on my computer ) I just would like to say thanks for all the positive words you have been pouring out through this process.
It sucks that this cycle is the the class that get hit with the hiring freeze delay but in due time we all will pull through this. =)

The hiring freeze under HHS is really what is holding everything up. I am confident decisions for the most part have been made on who to hire and where they will go. However, the hiring freeze makes it unlikely that we will hear anything until that is fixed. This came directly from a current PHAP...

"There's still a freeze - they haven't told us much other than that they don't have the go ahead from upper management to start making offers...sorry it's not much info!"

Thanks for the update! It's definitely hard not to get restless. I just wish there was an overall update from HHS or the OMB as far as the guidelines to hire.

Hey I have been following his thread on my phone lols (just could not comment bc I am logged on my computer ) I just would like to say thanks for all the positive words you have been pouring out through this process.
It sucks that this cycle is the the class that get hit with the hiring freeze delay but in due time we all will pull through this. =)

Thank you! I just know we're all feeling the same way and this forum and the people on it serve as our outlets. It does suck that this happens to this cycle.

I begin with 'my colleauges and I are waiting for the end of a government freeze' when people ask 'what are you doing for work?'- I am so thankful that I don't have to experience this stressful situation alone. I feel closer to each one of you and believe we can make this happen. If at the end of this there is anyone among us that feels wronged, I pledge to help you seek a reasonable resolution.

I do wish that we could get some sort of update from HHS or CDC in terms of their process regarding the freeze. The only "updated" information is the first draft for a budget is due by June 30 and the final draft is due by September 30. Other sources say that they are hiring public health because it's essential, while others are saying they only want experienced candidates.

I also wonder if they will keep all 185 positions or they will reduce the number of positions.

I called this morning to ask some questions regarding the hiring freeze. Specifically, if the freeze continues until October would they push back the start date of the positions or just scrap this class of PHAP and start new next year. Unfortunately, the woman I spoke to on the phone didn't have any answers. She said they are still in the process of selecting host sites and associates to match. She didn't have any updates on the freeze that I wouldn't be able to google onto internet and find myself. I guess we will all have to be patient and cross our fingers that this freeze will be lifted soon! Sending positive vibes everyones way I know how stressful this all is.

I called this morning to ask some questions regarding the hiring freeze. Specifically, if the freeze continues until October would they push back the start date of the positions or just scrap this class of PHAP and start new next year. Unfortunately, the woman I spoke to on the phone didn't have any answers. She said they are still in the process of selecting host sites and associates to match. She didn't have any updates on the freeze that I wouldn't be able to google onto internet and find myself. I guess we will all have to be patient and cross our fingers that this freeze will be lifted soon! Sending positive vibes everyones way I know how stressful this all is.

Did they ask you for your name? cause that freaked me out lol

Nearly another week down! Should we take any guesses on when calls could possibly start up? I've been thinking July 7th-14th will be the first wave of offers, to maybe give them some time after the June 30th deadline of budget proposals. Are any of you getting together plan Bs? I am finally filling out a CASPA application and researching online public health programs (which has been difficult since I currently have movers at my house loading up all my household goods... I don't know if I'll be getting an offer for PHAP, but I do know I will no longer be living in Kansas, so thank goodness for storage up to 3 months without a fee! haha)

I'll gladly take mid-July at this point. It's funny how we're the cycle that will be waiting in suspense until July. Once we finally hear back, we will all need to celebrate together because the stress and anxiety behind waiting for months have been excruciating lol. My plan B is looking for other opportunities to get hands-on public health experience (preferably a paid position) and finish up my master's degree.

Yeah.. same here. Aplying to other PH type positions, and other Federal jobs. And volunteering FT for Red Cross in August until I get a job. July is the month for traveling and vacay.

My last day with my current job is Tuesday, then I have 2 weeks of paid leave :)

Oh and refreshing this page.... over and over and over.

Reactions: 1 users
This wait is so brutal. I accepted my Teach For America acceptance because I couldn't not work, so if I get in I'll have to decline and one of you deserving individuals will get another chance at hope!

This wait is so brutal. I accepted my Teach For America acceptance because I couldn't not work, so if I get in I'll have to decline and one of you deserving individuals will get another chance at hope!

Congrats on Teach for America !!! Anyway we can serve this community and the generations to come is always a good choice! Wishing you the best on your endeavours!

Ended up pursuing my MPH...if I get an offer, I'll be declining so hopefully that helps someone.

That is sort of crushing to see...maybe they set August as a late deadline and will let us know sooner like in previous years! It's a really tough wait.

I agree. The updated timeline is really crushing to see. The old timeline was ideal for me getting out of my lease with a 90 day notice.... now its going to be much more financially difficult to relocate not to mention on a much such a shorter time frame. Feeling for everyone that is going to have to make some tough decisions because of this updated timeline.

Wow! Now I'm very conflicted as to what I should I do. What does everyone else think about this? Will you continue to just wait around or pursue other things? I'm personally looking into AmeriCorp and MPH schools with rolling admission. This really sucks though because I can't just pack up and relocate in such a short time frame if I am selected.

Last edited:
Hello all! I've been stalking this page for a few weeks now. I just made a call to PHAP and they specifically told me that they would be informing applicants in the month of July.

Reactions: 7 users
Hello all! I've been stalking this page for a few weeks now. I just made a call to PHAP and they specifically told me that they would be informing applicants in the month of July.

I'm really counting on that. The delay really affects all of us, and it's heartbreaking to see so many of you qualified candidates leave the pipeline simply because of timing and this long tedious process.

Oh no! I hate to see so many people that will potentially have to decline. I was looking forward to working with some amazing people. I do understand because this wait is extremely hard. I feel like if there's a decrease in the number of PHAPs, it will really be because of the short turnaround and notice for us to relocate, leave jobs, etc.

I truly hope there is notification in the month of July. August would be too close for me too. If selected, I wanted to be able to withdraw from my classes. Hopefully, everything works itself out. I can only imagine the scramble that will be on the CDC's part and the host sites. Continue to stay strong and positive my fellow candidates!

This is all quite stressful, I've been constantly refreshing this page... this waiting game is making it tough to balance things. I did go the PHAP website, however, and it appears that nothing has changed on the timeline on the page that reads "How Do I Apply?" for applicants; still says Mid-June-August:

CDC - Application Process - Become an Associate - PHAP

what was posted before was for host sites, but it is unclear if their webpage always read like that- hopefully not, for our sake! This says August
CDC - Application Process - Become a Host Site - PHAP

so that's a little heartening!

Hi all,

This is my first post to the page. Just wanted to update all you lovely humans and let you know the PHAP website information changed. It now says we will be matched with host sites in August and we should be receiving the calls afterwards.

This is all quite stressful, I've been constantly refreshing this page... this waiting game is making it tough to balance things. I did go the PHAP website, however, and it appears that nothing has changed on the timeline on the page that reads "How Do I Apply?" for applicants; still says Mid-June-August:

CDC - Application Process - Become an Associate - PHAP

what was posted before was for host sites, but it is unclear if their webpage always read like that- hopefully not, for our sake! This says August

so that's a little heartening!
For the host sites page, it's always said that. But they've been matching us with host sites since early May.

Im really trying to hold out because this wait is a lot to deal with and this would be an opportunity of a lifetime if chosen. If we haven't heard anything by July 15th then Ill def have to start reconsidering. I wish they would even email the people who interviewed just to give us an update or just explain whats going on now. Even if its just to say we will be calling within the next two weeks. Im def applying for more federal/regular jobs and other fellowships just in case i don't get a call after all. We have def grown closer after this long wait

Reactions: 7 users
Im really trying to hold out because this wait is a lot to deal with and this would be an opportunity of a lifetime if chosen. If we haven't heard anything by July 15th then Ill def have to start reconsidering. I wish they would even email the people who interviewed just to give us an update or just explain whats going on now. Even if its just to say we will be calling within the next two weeks. Im def applying for more federal/regular jobs and other fellowships just in case i don't get a call after all. We have def grown closer after this long wait
Same here. I will have to start looking into another options if I don't hear from them soon. This wait is just too much....

Hey guys ! I was going to keep this to myself but I decided to share with you all. Today, at work for the first time in a long time a Atlanta number called me (i'm currently living in Atlanta so I am aware of all the area codes lols) I ran out of my office thinking it was the CDC and it was NOT. My heart was beating SO fast. This wait is something else. It then dawned on me that even when they begin calls they prob wont make all the calls at the same time which makes the waiting game longer for some. sigh. Hope every one had a great week so far.. July is arriving lols.

Just curious... how did everyone hear about PHAP?
And is anyone looking into PHS?

Just curious... how did everyone hear about PHAP?
And is anyone looking into PHS?
This wait is brutal! Hopefully, they start calling next week. If I don't hear back by mid-July, I'd have to decline as well.

I first heard of PHAP at a conference. There was an alum who spoke about her experience and I thought it'd be a good transition into this type of work and offer a good opportunity for networking, as the end goal is to work at CDC headquarters. Haven't looked much into PHS, though I believe I know someone who is current doing it. If I don't get PHAP this year, I'm going to stick with my work at the Department of Public Health for the next year, and apply for PMF this coming year. I should've applied last year to be honest!

Good Morning. I am a 2015 PHAP and we just received word that PHAP has officially received the authorization to begin the hiring process for your class! Good Luck to you all! I know the wait is horrible, but it is almost over!

Reactions: 10 users
Good Morning. I am a 2015 PHAP and we just received word that PHAP has officially received the authorization to begin the hiring process for your class! Good Luck to you all! I know the wait is horrible, but it is almost over!

Thank you thank you for the update! You don't know how much of a relief this is!

Thank you so much for relaying this information!

OMG! Now its gonna get real. Im def about to keep positive now. Im assuming they will start calling on Monday then. *crosses fingers*

OMG! Now its gonna get real. Im def about to keep positive now. Im assuming they will start calling on Monday then. *crosses fingers*
Keep in mind it's "technically" a holiday weekend though! So I would assume after the 4th:)

Hearing that news is like hearing Santa Claus is real lol. But seriously, I'm so excited and relieved! We can all enjoy this long weekend a little bit more.

Sidenote: I wish my family and friends understood how excited I am about this news lol. You guys understand :clap:

Hearing that news is like hearing Santa Claus is real lol. But seriously, I'm so excited and relieved! We can all enjoy this long weekend a little bit more.

Sidenote: I wish my family and friends understood how excited I am about this news lol. You guys understand :clap:
I told my husband and his response was oh cool lol they don't get it!

Thank you!