2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are you guys prioritizing other offers to go back to school or job offers? This is getting a little late in the summer for me to keep holding on so I'm curious what your thoughts are...

That's a good question... I'm curious about this as well.

I feel like I'm in a really fortunate position right now because I currently have a full time job, but lately I've been struggling with whether or not I should be investing energy/time into my PhD applications while I wait for the PHAP call. I decided to start working on my application materials last week because I was getting so antsy, and figured that there is LITERALLY nothing I can do about PHAP right now aside from wait... Might as well feel like I'm making good use of my time :)

I live in CA, and have been anxiously staring at my phone/email every day until 3pm (since I'm assuming PHAP won't call past 6pm EST..?) :nailbiting: .... I think...?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
That's a good question... I'm curious about this as well.

I feel like I'm in a really fortunate position right now in that I currently have a full time job, but lately I've been struggling with whether or not I should be investing energy/time into my PhD applications while I wait for the PHAP call. I decided to start working on my application materials last week because I was getting so antsy, and figured that there is LITERALLY nothing I can do about PHAP right now aside from wait... So I might as well feel like I'm making good use of my time :)

I live in CA, and have been anxiously staring at my phone/email every day until 3pm (since I'm assuming PHAP won't call past 6pm EST..?) :nailbiting: .... I think...?
I've been doing the same in terms of checking emails and looking at my phone and this forum lol. After 6 pm, I just give up hope for the day (that sounds so depressing).

Guys,

I'm going out of my mind waiting for the offers to come out! This process has been an overall struggle for me. I've been applying for outside jobs as well with little to no responses, but I'm also conflicted because I'm not sure that i even want these other jobs more than I want PHAP, so I keep holding out hope that week after week we'll know something, but it doesn't seem like we're getting any closer to knowing what's gonna happen.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys,

I'm going out of my mind waiting for the offers to come out! This process has been an overall struggle for me. I've been applying for outside jobs as well with little to no responses, but I'm also conflicted because I'm not sure that i even want these other jobs more than I want PHAP, so I keep holding out hope that week after week we'll know something, but it doesn't seem like we're getting any closer to knowing what's gonna happen.
That's basically where I am at this point. I'm not sure if I should keep applying to grad assistantships and other jobs or should I keep hope alive. I had an awesome job offer, but if I had to leave the job for any reason before six months then I would have to reimburse the company for all of my trainings.

Reactions: 3 users
SIGH. Yet another no-news day...

tenor.gif

What if we ALL call the PHAP program and kindly ask for an update lol although hey probably won't give much of one perhaps the amount of calls would motivate them a smidge lol IM DYINGGGG OVER HERE

That's basically where I am at this point. I'm not sure if I should keep applying to grad assistantships and other jobs or should I keep hope alive. I had an awesome job offer, but if I had to leave the job for any reason before six months then I would have to reimburse the company for all of my trainings.

That is def a tough decision to make. When is the deadline for you to accept? I know for me personally, if I get an outside offer before PHAP responds to whether or not I have a position, I am going to accept at this point. I kept telling myself that I will wait but I would be worried about what happens if I turn it down and PHAP doesn't call you know? Is the position related to your degree or major? I've been told that your Masters degree makes you more competitive in PH with experience so having both would be great. If so, you can always take the position and apply for PHAP next year so your resume would be better and more competitive for interviews. That's how im looking at it, but not trying to help you make a decision lol.

I only had a day to accept because the classes and trainings were already set up, so, unfortunately, I turned down the job. The job offered great pay, benefits, and stability. The position wasn't too much related to PH or Epi, but as a grad student, it was a job that worked with my schedule (for instance, my fall schedule - I have to be in class all day Wednesdays and Thursdays).

That's the whole reason I'm holding out for PHAP is that it will give me amazing PH experience plus I will be getting paid. I know it's not about the money, but it's hard to complete unpaid internships at this stage. It's definitely a difficult decision.

Reactions: 1 users
What if we ALL call the PHAP program and kindly ask for an update lol although hey probably won't give much of one perhaps the amount of calls would motivate them a smidge lol IM DYINGGGG OVER HERE
Maybe, we should lol. Tomorrow is LITERALLY mid-July. I just want the wait to be over. Should we start a pool of what time of day they would be contacting us? Lol.

That is def a tough decision to make. When is the deadline for you to accept? I know for me personally, if I get an outside offer before PHAP responds to whether or not I have a position, I am going to accept at this point. I kept telling myself that I will wait but I would be worried about what happens if I turn it down and PHAP doesn't call you know? Is the position related to your degree or major? I've been told that your Masters degree makes you more competitive in PH with experience so having both would be great. If so, you can always take the position and apply for PHAP next year so your resume would be better and more competitive for interviews. That's how im looking at it, but not trying to help you make a decision lol.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has her MPH done already, for PH you absolutely should get one. Getting a good job with one is already difficult. With only a bachelors degree you wouldn't be doing much in the way of PH practice. And I'm sure you don't want to be a glorified secretary if you want to work in PH.

Just called PHAP. I got the same person as last time. Who was entirely unhelpful. Just said they were in the process of informing people and that she couldn't give anymore information. o_O I asked if there was an end date that everyone would know and she just said I don't know that information and hung up. . .

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has her MPH done already, for PH you absolutely should get one. Getting a good job with one is already difficult. With only a bachelors degree you wouldn't be doing much in the way of PH practice. And I'm sure you don't want to be a glorified secretary if you want to work in PH.
At this point, I'm going to begin networking more, because I feel like I'm qualified and was told by my advisor and a few professors that at this point in my program, I can work a real PH job that requires me to do technical writing, data analysis, surveying and collecting, program planning and implementing, etc. I just know I really want PHAP just because it seems like such an amazing, life-changing opportunity.

Just called PHAP. I got the same person as last time. Who was entirely unhelpful. Just said they were in the process of informing people and that she couldn't give anymore information. o_O I asked if there was an end date that everyone would know and she just said I don't know that information and hung up. . .
Well.... that's "helpful." At least (hopefully), they are really calling people. I definitely understand calling us to offer the position is faster, but I feel like a mass email would calm everyone's nerves at this point lol.

I have my MPH too (just completed in April of this year). I completely understand because as I am job hunting now every job has at minimum a MPH. I def need this experience to give me a better chance at applying to some of the federal jobs so I can apply for higher grades whether it is CDC or any other organization. And as a sidenote, if you are studying a STEM related subject undergrad-PhD, I would HIGHLY suggest you check out the STEM scholarship program. It pays very well during the school year and summer. And even if we don't get into PHAP, we should all research PH fellowships that could maybe have it where we still work with CDC indirectly or directly then apply again. Sorry for typing so much just wanted to bring some positive tips I've been learning with my USDA internship

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my MPH too (just completed in April of this year). I completely understand because as I am job hunting now every job has at minimum a MPH. I def need this experience to give me a better chance at applying to some of the federal jobs so I can apply for higher grades whether it is CDC or any other organization. And as a sidenote, if you are studying a STEM related subject undergrad-PhD, I would HIGHLY suggest you check out the STEM scholarship program. It pays very well during the school year and summer. And even if we don't get into PHAP, we should all research PH fellowships that could maybe have it where we still work with CDC indirectly or directly then apply again. Sorry for typing so much just wanted to bring some positive tips I've been learning with my USDA internship
That's definitely helpful! Any tips are definitely welcomed lol. I'm trying to decide how much longer I will wait. The only thing really standing in my way is my practicum and thesis (and I had planned on using PHAP as my practicum - if allowed) and work on my thesis.

Yeah you guys are kind of in tough spot. I do have a grant funded position for at least a year, which is lucky. At that point I'll probably just pull the trigger on the MD.

As someone who is currently in the program, I just wanted to lend some advice about this process and about being in the program in general. When the CDC says that they will hire associates by the end of August, it means exactly that. They will call and be offering positions until the end of August. That means that there will always be some associates that have less time to plan for their move than others. My advice for those going through this process (and especially those who get accepted into the program) is to be flexible. The federal government moves at their own pace and while they will expect you to have a quick turn around from providing them paperwork to informing them if you are accepting the position, do NOT expect the federal government to be as quick with you. They have a lot of processes and you will learn that being a federal employee is a lot of "hurry up and wait." So, think of this whole process as practice for being a part of the program because the need to be flexible and patient will not change once you are an associate. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
As someone who is currently in the program, I just wanted to lend some advice about this process and about being in the program in general. When the CDC says that they will hire associates by the end of August, it means exactly that. They will call and be offering positions until the end of August. That means that there will always be some associates that have less time to plan for their move than others. My advice for those going through this process (and especially those who get accepted into the program) is to be flexible. The federal government moves at their own pace and while they will expect you to have a quick turn around from providing them paperwork to informing them if you are accepting the position, do NOT expect the federal government to be as quick with you. They have a lot of processes and you will learn that being a federal employee is a lot of "hurry up and wait." So, think of this whole process as practice for being a part of the program because the need to be flexible and patient will not change once you are an associate. Best of luck to you all!
Great advise. Thank you

Hopefully this is the week everyone! :)

I really hope we hear something this week too. My finals are this week and I should be working on those, but instead I'm refreshing everything and feeling like Ron Swanson lol.

Reactions: 8 users
First time poster but I wanted to let everyone know I just received a call with an offer!!!! No more waiting!!

Reactions: 12 users
First time poster but I wanted to let everyone know I just received a call with an offer!!!! No more waiting!!

Congratulations!! :) If I may ask, where did you get placed?

Congratulations!! :) If I may ask, where did you get placed?
I was offered a position with the Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Philadelphia, PA per the email I received!

Reactions: 4 users
I was offered a position with the Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Philadelphia, PA per the email I received!
YAYYY!! That's so exciting! Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, was that your first choice for regions?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Did you receive a call or an email first?
I received a call and couldn't take it because I was in a meeting at work and she followed up with an email giving more information (salary, placement). We can get a promotion of up to GS9 and it says to submit official transcripts by 8/15. I have until Friday to accept or decline

First time poster as well... and congratulations!!! Just a relief to hear that someone has finally heard something!

Congratulations to all who have received the call!
Longtime lurker, first time poster, reporting that I got the call at 2:33 and I was placed in D.C. ! It was in my first-choice region, but I am originally from Tampa, Florida, so it will be a bit of a move, but I am very excited for this new chapter and for the wait to finally be over. Hopefully, I can get myself settled in time.

Reactions: 9 users
Huge congrats to those who heard back today! I've definitely begun freaking out a bit...do we think they will still be placing people for a while, or will it all happen this week?

(This is totally me just trying to calm my own nerves)

I was looking through threads for previous years, and it appears that they may contact folks by region? Hopefully that means that we'll all continue to hear back throughout this week and next!

Huge congrats to those who heard back today! I've definitely begun freaking out a bit...do we think they will still be placing people for a while, or will it all happen this week?

So I was going to say that I was under the impression that they will be getting back to us through the end of August. The first round of calls might take awhile (from what I remember there are around 180 positions, so that is around 180 calls to make, 180 offer letters to produce and then send out). Also, they have to give those in the first round time to accept or reject the offer... and only after that can they move on to the second round for a particular position. I'm sure there will people contacted after the end of July.

BUT ALSO...

I just read what @slugator said and that is interesting you saw a pattern in region! It wouldn't surprise me that they are using that as a way to organize their process for informing individuals.

It does seem that it takes them about two weeks or so to get through the first round. I am completely on edge right now lol. I really wish I could stop refreshing everything now.

(This is totally me just trying to calm my own nerves)

I was looking through threads for previous years, and it appears that they may contact folks by region? Hopefully that means that we'll all continue to hear back throughout this week and next!

It may be by region, although previous threads say that they've never been able to fully confirm it! @katie12345 did say that when she got her offer, she was told that she had until 8/15 to submit her official transcripts, so I would assume that offers will be made until around shortly before that deadline (unless they assign different deadlines based on when people get their offers?). It's all a lot of speculation, but I'm sure they're working hard to get offers out, especially since they started over a month late this year! Keep your heads up everyone :)

First, congrats to those who found out about their offers today! That amazing and I hope its in your preferred region. Im really on edge now about my interview all over again since mines was super short and to the point. I feel like my answers weren't enough or not good enough. But hopefully I'm in the first round of calls or any rounds at this point lol. Im in MS so I'm assuming it would be in the next region to call

It does seem that it takes them about two weeks or so to get through the first round. I am completely on edge right now lol. I really wish I could stop refreshing everything now.

I FEEL YOU!! <3

Plus, I'm in Georgia so I'm definitely trying to calm myself down lol :scared:
Im hoping since my internship has a field trip tomorrow until around 3 that it can keep my mind occupied until then. I miss the mass emails instead lol

Despite all the frantic energy pulsing through this forum, I am so grateful that I found all of you. Knowing that we're all on the same boat definitely helps!

Whoa!!! I have been trying to keep busy and not pay attention to PHAP stuff.. but whoa! This thread went crazy! Congrats to all who received their offers today!!!!! This was all we had hoped for, to hear that someone got a call. Definitely better than no one getting a call (remember when someone mentioned "what if everyone on this forum wasn't matched" )

I just accepted another position last night since last day was today. I wonder what would be protocol if I wanted to accept an offer with PHAP... if that comes through. I forsee a convo to my HR rep tomorrow.

An new network of nerves have been fired up and its more excitement than anxiety.

Are we going to announce the following?
1. Current location
2. Location of offer/1st choice?
3. Host/entity

I'm curious what 2017 has in store for PHAP

First, congrats to those who found out about their offers today! That amazing and I hope its in your preferred region. Im really on edge now about my interview all over again since mines was super short and to the point. I feel like my answers weren't enough or not good enough. But hopefully I'm in the first round of calls or any rounds at this point lol. Im in MS so I'm assuming it would be in the next region to call
I feel the same! I think that there is no way that I will be offer a position after I choked on my 5 minutes interview lol. I am in Pacific time zone.

Just wanted to let you know I just received an offer!!!

1. Current location: (Raleigh)
2. Location of offer (Raleigh) / 1st choice (SE Region- no State specified)
3. Raleigh Public & Tribal Affairs -- vague, more info to come as I get the email

So I will be in Raleigh.... where I live right now so a little weird for someone who wanted to travel somewhere else lol. Funny how the world works!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

3. Raleigh Public & Tribal Affairs -- vague, more info to come as I get the email

So I will be in Raleigh.... where I live right now so a little weird for someone who wanted to travel somewhere else lol. Funny how the world work!
Congratulations!!! Lol at least you don't have to pay for moving expenses haha.

So I will be in Raleigh.... where I live right now so a little weird for someone who wanted to travel somewhere else lol. Funny how the world work!
Congrats! Even if it didn't allow you to travel :). Hopefully it's in the concentration you want.

Hopefully those wanting to travel will get to, and those wanting to stay put will get to.

Congratulations!!! Lol at least you don't have to pay for moving expenses haha.

You are not wrong! My friends are very excited that I will still be here, haha. I saw that some people were placed in a different location for their second year, so I could always tell them I would be open to that option.

Reactions: 1 user

So I will be in Raleigh.... where I live right now so a little weird for someone who wanted to travel somewhere else lol. Funny how the world works!

That's awesome! I hope I can get placed in my MS hometown since there are some here

Last edited: